AU in the Top 10 Under Gus

msza

With our #10 AP ranking this week, Auburn has now been ranked in the AP/CFP Top 10 at least once every year under Gus.

2013: #2 end of year

2014: #3 on November 8

2015: #6 on September 12

2016: #8 on November 12

2017: #10 as of October 8

So, just an interesting bit of trivia. Perhaps the take-home point here is that the pollsters have not been afraid to give us a chance these past several years, which doesn't feel like it's always been the case as an AU fan (see: 2004). 

Also interesting to note the downward trend in our highest ranking from year to year. Hopefully we will reverse that trend this year.

The pollsters don't watch all the games. The look at scores and previous ranking. Obviously the SEC writers watch AU, and likely have a vested interest in the SEC teams being ranked higher. I trust the people here who know football, and they confirm that Gus isn't the man for the job long term. It also does't take a football mind to know that UGA last year, Clemson the past two years, and countless other games were lost because of Gus's poor preparation.

AU is in the top 10 in spite of Gus. He's collected the talent for sure, but utilizing it is something he's struggled to do.

4 hours ago, msza said:

Our defense was very good last year. Once the injuries on offense starting piling up it was over. 

Hopefully we can get through the next 2 games to the off week. 

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Our defense was very good last year. Once the injuries on offense starting piling up it was over. 

Hopefully we can get through the next 2 games to the off week. 

But, it doesn't matter. Gus MUST go....right????jk

28 minutes ago, WarTim said:

But, it doesn't matter. Gus MUST go....right????jk

The UGA game turned me against Gus for the first time ever, but I have kept my mouth shut this year. I have enjoyed the season and the progression of the team. I have stayed away from the coaching change threads all year, even the ones that littered this place after Clemson. I have not said a word. I just want to beat UGA. 

You, me and thousands of others. I agree. I just grow weary of all the Fire Gus threads. (NOT directed at you by the way). I simply want to support this Team. Support this Staff. ENJOY the season. It is half way over. I Believe good things lay ahead. War Eagle ?!!!

I don't get why enjoying this season and pulling for our team is tied directly with being over the moon happy with our coach.  Yes, its been great watching our team blow the doors off our last 3 opponents.  I always enjoy an Auburn football Saturday and doubly so when we win like that.  Yet I still remain skeptical of Gus and there is good reason for it...its called the last 3 years.  Some of you act like we went straight from 2013 to now without those 3 disappointing seasons in between.  If we end up with a great season this year then great I will be happy and right now I am very happy with being 3-0 in the SEC with all the big goals ahead of us.  But guess what, we had that in 2014 and 2016 and it didn't end well.  Gus has earned the skepticism with repeated fails in the last 3 years.  Regardless, I will get up Saturday fired up to watch our Tigers beat their tigers and get to 4-0 in the SEC. But if you want me to stop being skeptical of our coach then message me after Amen Corner and lets see where we are.  And before someone says how hard it will be to beat both I'm not even asking for that...just beat one of them please. It's been 4 years!  But stop with the "real Auburn people don't act like this".  I have been an AU fan all my life which is over 30 years of fandom and yes Auburn people are like this.  I was at Auburn at the end of the Baby Bowden years and there were a whole bunch of folks that wanted him out and he was coming off a 10-3 season the year before.  It happens.  Doesn't mean people don't love Auburn.  You don't have to love every coach to love Auburn.  Just because we don't all blindly follow the head coach and worship at his feet like our idiot state brethren from tuscaloser doesn't mean we don't love Auburn.  I don't know how else I can say it...I support the team, I support the coaches (don't mean I like them), I support Auburn University.  Why is this such a big deal to yall that we love Gus?  I'm also not bitchin about the 2nd half performance and I understand that some are but don't make it out like all of us are.  I could care less how the 2nd half looked when we won the first half 35-3.  I readily admit I have seen improvement and this team is exciting to watch.  But if you are honest with yourself you realize we haven't actually beaten anyone yet.  If we were judging bama and they had just beaten Mizzou, MSU and Ole Miss we would be saying "well look bama hasn't played anyone yet."  But since its our team everyone wants to say how great it is we beat up on these 3 mediocre to bad teams.  Again, doesn't mean I'm not impressed.  The way we won those games is certainly impressive.  But we haven't beaten anyone we are not supposed to YET.  And I for one WILL be impressed with a win in Baton Rouge even if LSU isn't themselves this year.  So yes I'm skeptical of Gus, and yes I support the Auburn football team.  Those two things don't have to be mutually exclusive.  WDE. 

9 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I don't get why enjoying this season and pulling for our team is tied directly with being over the moon happy with our coach.  Yes, its been great watching our team blow the doors off our last 3 opponents.  I always enjoy an Auburn football Saturday and doubly so when we win like that.  Yet I still remain skeptical of Gus and there is good reason for it...its called the last 3 years.  Some of you act like we went straight from 2013 to now without those 3 disappointing seasons in between.  If we end up with a great season this year then great I will be happy and right now I am very happy with being 3-0 in the SEC with all the big goals ahead of us.  But guess what, we had that in 2014 and 2016 and it didn't end well.  Gus has earned the skepticism with repeated fails in the last 3 years.  Regardless, I will get up Saturday fired up to watch our Tigers beat their tigers and get to 4-0 in the SEC. But if you want me to stop being skeptical of our coach then message me after Amen Corner and lets see where we are.  And before someone says how hard it will be to beat both I'm not even asking for that...just beat one of them please. It's been 4 years!  But stop with the "real Auburn people don't act like this".  I have been an AU fan all my life which is over 30 years of fandom and yes Auburn people are like this.  I was at Auburn at the end of the Baby Bowden years and there were a whole bunch of folks that wanted him out and he was coming off a 10-3 season the year before.  It happens.  Doesn't mean people don't love Auburn.  You don't have to love every coach to love Auburn.  Just because we don't all blindly follow the head coach and worship at his feet like our idiot state brethren from tuscaloser doesn't mean we don't love Auburn.  I don't know how else I can say it...I support the team, I support the coaches (don't mean I like them), I support Auburn University.  Why is this such a big deal to yall that we love Gus?  I'm also not bitchin about the 2nd half performance and I understand that some are but don't make it out like all of us are.  I could care less how the 2nd half looked when we won the first half 35-3.  I readily admit I have seen improvement and this team is exciting to watch.  But if you are honest with yourself you realize we haven't actually beaten anyone yet.  If we were judging bama and they had just beaten Mizzou, MSU and Ole Miss we would be saying "well look bama hasn't played anyone yet."  But since its our team everyone wants to say how great it is we beat up on these 3 mediocre to bad teams.  Again, doesn't mean I'm not impressed.  The way we won those games is certainly impressive.  But we haven't beaten anyone we are not supposed to YET.  And I for one WILL be impressed with a win in Baton Rouge even if LSU isn't themselves this year.  So yes I'm skeptical of Gus, and yes I support the Auburn football team.  Those two things don't have to be mutually exclusive.  WDE. 

Awesome. And huge dittos. Team is winning. Improving. Becoming a part of the national conversation. And it's awesome. However, every team that beat us last year has either already beaten us, or is still on our schedule. And the coach still seems to have his flair for game snuffing decisions and gameplans. It's been suspicious for 2 or 3 years, but as of Clempson/UGA '16, He's gonna have to make me be a fan of his as he no longer holds my trust. This aint about firing. He's safe. It aint about being upset after a win- the people putting those words in my mouth can kiss my ass, the wins are great*

12 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

This! So much this! Finally someone says it! Got dang it why is that so hard to understand for some people?!

23 hours ago, msza said:

With our #10 AP ranking this week, Auburn has now been ranked in the AP/CFP Top 10 at least once every year under Gus.

2013: #2 end of year

2014: #3 on November 8

2015: #6 on September 12

2017: #10 as of October 8

So, just an interesting bit of trivia. Perhaps the take-home point here is that the pollsters have not been afraid to give us a chance these past several years, which doesn't feel like it's always been the case as an AU fan (see: 2004). 

Also interesting to note the downward trend in our highest ranking from year to year. Hopefully we will reverse that trend this year.

Interesting to me that all but one of those years has seen Auburn in the top 10 in November. Gus may not have been able to win the big one yet, but he puts us in a position to strike every year. 

14 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

But if you are honest with yourself you realize we haven't actually beaten anyone yet.  If we were judging bama and they had just beaten Mizzou, MSU and Ole Miss we would be saying "well look bama hasn't played anyone yet."  But since its our team everyone wants to say how great it is we beat up on these 3 mediocre to bad teams.

It's why I wasn't impressed with our 6-game streak last season. We beat nobody. 

Difference this season is we have a SEC QB. This is why, barring major injury, we will win the SEC this season. 

52 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Difference this season is we have a SEC QB. This is why, barring major injury, we will win the SEC this season. 

I sure hope so Scotty...I sure hope so. 

2 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I see, so you're just going to jinx us like that.

2 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

No jinxing to it. Our 2017 QB is light years better than our 2016 QB. 

ARE YOU TRYING TO JINX ALL THE QB'S?! What is wrong with you?!

:Sing:

On 10/10/2017 at 2:49 PM, jared52 said:

The pollsters don't watch all the games. The look at scores and previous ranking. Obviously the SEC writers watch AU, and likely have a vested interest in the SEC teams being ranked higher. I trust the people here who know football, and they confirm that Gus isn't the man for the job long term. It also does't take a football mind to know that UGA last year, Clemson the past two years, and countless other games were lost because of Gus's poor preparation.

AU is in the top 10 in spite of Gus. He's collected the talent for sure, but utilizing it is something he's struggled to do.

I don't agree with this statement. Gus has changed whether people want to believe it or not. Chip is calling the offense and Gus just has a different attitude this year or really since Clemson.  Now will he continue on this path when we are struggling in a game that is going to happen we will see. I believe he will though. As far as recruiting we have top notch talent all over the field and there is no questioning that. Saying we are in the top 10 in spite of Gus is a ridiculous statement with him being our head coach.  I am not taking a shot with that statement cause I have read posts that you have read on here but it is simply not the case at the moment.

19 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I don't agree with this statement. Gus has changed whether people want to believe it or not. Chip is calling the offense and Gus just has a different attitude this year or really since Clemson.  Now will he continue on this path when we are struggling in a game that is going to happen we will see. I believe he will though. As far as recruiting we have top notch talent all over the field and there is no questioning that. Saying we are in the top 10 in spite of Gus is a ridiculous statement with him being our head coach.  I am not taking a shot with that statement cause I have read posts that you have read on here but it is simply not the case at the moment.

The bolded part is were fans want to see a change.  You could have made this statement last year as well.  After the Clemson game in 2016 he changed and let Rhett call the plays until we struggled in the UGA game.  So, it is important to see if Gus has changed when faced with a dynamic situation and allows his staff to do their job without micromanaging.

I just got my Gus Glasses in the mail yesterday, with the polarized lenses, they are suppose to filter out all of the negative Gus does while you wear them.  I’ll check them out tomorrow.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

This is the EXACT same script as last year. He ran the O vs. Clemson, it was a dumpster fire. He was told to give it to Rhett, he did, AU went on a run. Now will this AU run get derailed by injury to Stidham? That's yet to be seen. If there is an injury, will Gus take over.

He could have learned last year from the Clemson game. He didn't. I would have said he was learning if he would have 1) not lied about giving Chip full control of the O in the spring and fall camp press conferences and 2) not gone into the Clemson game with a plan to "not lose". If AU throws the ball around and isn't successful, then we can say they at least attacked. It was a weak plan, and it didn't give AU a chance to win the game.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

We will see I guess. I can only say as to what is going on right now. Rhett was never fully in control of the offense either last year.

Could be..... but no Coordinator is fully in control of anything.  The HC is responsible for the outcome and a HC would have to be a fool to stand by and let subordinates run the game without his input.

Among other things, unlike the OC or DC, the HC has to consider the big picture....the overall game strategy and plan....not just what the immediate situation might be.

On 10/10/2017 at 10:38 PM, OnthePlains said:

But if you are honest with yourself you realize we haven't actually beaten anyone yet.  If we were judging bama and they had just beaten Mizzou, MSU and Ole Miss we would be saying "well look bama hasn't played anyone yet."  But since its our team everyone wants to say how great it is we beat up on these 3 mediocre to bad teams.  Again, doesn't mean I'm not impressed.  The way we won those games is certainly impressive.  But we haven't beaten anyone we are not supposed to YET. 

Just a few short weeks ago a large portion of this very forum stated we'd lose to the Moo Moo's, Mizzou and Ole pissy. Funny how things change week to week. Just saying. BTW, it is verifiable. Just go back and read the threads. 

5 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Just a few short weeks ago a large portion of this very forum stated we'd lose to the Moo Moo's, Mizzou and Ole pissy. Funny how things change week to week. Just saying. BTW, it is verifiable. Just go back and read the threads. 

Yeah I'm tired of the back and forth on this but I didn't see those posts and I certainly didn't make them.  I even stated we would win these games but at this point lets just let this thing play out and see what happens. 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Yeah I'm tired of the back and forth on this but I didn't see those posts and I certainly didn't make them.  I even stated we would win these games but at this point lets just let this thing play out and see what happens. 

Not calling you out, just stating facts. BTW, I predicted 5 losses this year, so indeed, let's let it play out. Hope I was wrong. WDE!!!

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

Not calling you out, just stating facts. BTW, I predicted 5 losses this year, so indeed, let's let it play out. Hope I was wrong. WDE!!!

Hope you were wrong too! I thought 9-3 but hoping for better. 

Archived