AU in the Top 10 Under Gus

msza

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Hope you were wrong too! I thought 9-3 but hoping for better. 

Dang. You're an optimist. Who knew? ;D

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Ha well optimist might be a strong word and I've been hard on Gus.  

He deserved much of your ire. Hope that changes tomorrow. WDE!!!

I think we just need to play it out. I believe 23, in that this offense, especially the passing is much different than when Lashlee was supposedly operating the offense. And remember, Lashlee's mentor was Gus, so no way is he going to demand his play calling ONLY be run. He owes where he is now to Gus. OFC he is going to change or use Gus' input.

But Lindsey, was SPECIFICALLY brought in to run a different offense. Now we know that Gus' has had great success with his running game over his career, so I think there is a need to merge the two offenses, if possible.

I also believe that it takes time to fine tune a new offense with ofc a QB who is basically playing as a Freshman+. I knew CL was calling plays when we were backed up to our 1/2 yard line, and ran a pass play and pattern that was excellent. Gus would have run, run run until third down. ))

To be honest, i don't care if Gus puts his 2 cents in. Geez, he still is the HC. But what i want to continue to see, is an offense that can score against stronger defenses in GA and Alabama, to run plays that make sense, to score TDs in the red zone. 

4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Hope so too.  I'm warming up to the idea this team can be special. WDE! 

I'm still lukewarm. Not going to lie. But, I was impressed with the first half play calls last week. It was unpredictable which is a good thing. So there is hope! Not crazy about the 2nd half, but understand it. 

I would love to see this team get healthy.

Offense....

1. Kam Pettway is able to do what he does best, make defensive players wish they had been blocked instead of having to tackle Kam.

2. Hope Horton is able to go and doesn't hear a hoo.

3. Stidham doesn't let Death Valley intimidate him. Just keep improving and realize he doesn't have to win it by himself.

Defense....

DL shut down the run and make Etling beat you with hi.s arm.

LB- Hope Tre Williams can go and deal out some pain to Guice.

DB-Hope Davis and Dean are able to play.

Safeties-Keep on keeping on. Maybe Matthews can get some payback for his flying Wallendas tackle two years ago against Fournette.

Special Teams-Hope Carlson and company are ready for the challenge of playing in Baton Rouge. TAKE THE CROWD OUT EARLY 

Nothing to it.

On 10/10/2017 at 11:10 AM, msza said:

With our #10 AP ranking this week, Auburn has now been ranked in the AP/CFP Top 10 at least once every year under Gus.

2013: #2 end of year

2014: #3 on November 8

2015: #6 on September 12

2016: #8 on November 12

2017: #10 as of October 8

So, just an interesting bit of trivia. Perhaps the take-home point here is that the pollsters have not been afraid to give us a chance these past several years, which doesn't feel like it's always been the case as an AU fan (see: 2004). 

Also interesting to note the downward trend in our highest ranking from year to year. Hopefully we will reverse that trend this year.

Nov 8, 2014 - #3 Auburn hosts Texas A&M as a 23 point favorite. A&M is reeling after the Johnny Manziel era and comes in having lost 3 straight SEC games. They decide to start a true freshman QB.

A&M wins 41-38.

Sep 12, 2015 - #6 Auburn hosts powerhouse Jacksonville State as a 41 point favorite.

Auburn wins 27-20 in OT

Nov 12, 2016 - #8 Auburn goes to Athens to take on a 5-4 UGA team. AU is favored by 9.5. UGA has lost to Ole Miss, Tenn, UF, Vandy and are coming off a hard-fought 27-24 win over Kentucky.

Georgia wins 13-7

Auburn last won in Baton Rouge in 1999. 0-8 since. If we can win this one and look good doing it we will have a great season. If we lose, another mediocre 8-4 or 7-5 season.

11 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Yeah I'm tired of the back and forth on this but I didn't see those posts and I certainly didn't make them.  I even stated we would win these games but at this point lets just let this thing play out and see what happens. 

How do you see the rest of the season playing out?

11 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

How do you see the rest of the season playing out?

I honestly think we could run the table or finish 8-4.  Maybe end up somewhere in the middle.  Maybe we get upset by LSU or A&M and then we upset UGA or Bama and that would leave us 9-3.  If I had to guess I think 9-3 is probably where we end up . 

On 10/10/2017 at 8:38 PM, OnthePlains said:

I don't get why enjoying this season and pulling for our team is tied directly with being over the moon happy with our coach.  Yes, its been great watching our team blow the doors off our last 3 opponents.  I always enjoy an Auburn football Saturday and doubly so when we win like that.  Yet I still remain skeptical of Gus and there is good reason for it...its called the last 3 years.  Some of you act like we went straight from 2013 to now without those 3 disappointing seasons in between.  If we end up with a great season this year then great I will be happy and right now I am very happy with being 3-0 in the SEC with all the big goals ahead of us.  But guess what, we had that in 2014 and 2016 and it didn't end well.  Gus has earned the skepticism with repeated fails in the last 3 years.  Regardless, I will get up Saturday fired up to watch our Tigers beat their tigers and get to 4-0 in the SEC. But if you want me to stop being skeptical of our coach then message me after Amen Corner and lets see where we are.  And before someone says how hard it will be to beat both I'm not even asking for that...just beat one of them please. It's been 4 years!  But stop with the "real Auburn people don't act like this".  I have been an AU fan all my life which is over 30 years of fandom and yes Auburn people are like this.  I was at Auburn at the end of the Baby Bowden years and there were a whole bunch of folks that wanted him out and he was coming off a 10-3 season the year before.  It happens.  Doesn't mean people don't love Auburn.  You don't have to love every coach to love Auburn.  Just because we don't all blindly follow the head coach and worship at his feet like our idiot state brethren from tuscaloser doesn't mean we don't love Auburn.  I don't know how else I can say it...I support the team, I support the coaches (don't mean I like them), I support Auburn University.  Why is this such a big deal to yall that we love Gus?  I'm also not bitchin about the 2nd half performance and I understand that some are but don't make it out like all of us are.  I could care less how the 2nd half looked when we won the first half 35-3.  I readily admit I have seen improvement and this team is exciting to watch.  But if you are honest with yourself you realize we haven't actually beaten anyone yet.  If we were judging bama and they had just beaten Mizzou, MSU and Ole Miss we would be saying "well look bama hasn't played anyone yet."  But since its our team everyone wants to say how great it is we beat up on these 3 mediocre to bad teams.  Again, doesn't mean I'm not impressed.  The way we won those games is certainly impressive.  But we haven't beaten anyone we are not supposed to YET.  And I for one WILL be impressed with a win in Baton Rouge even if LSU isn't themselves this year.  So yes I'm skeptical of Gus, and yes I support the Auburn football team.  Those two things don't have to be mutually exclusive.  WDE. 

You are my hero. Took the words right out of my mouth. Great job. That's exactly what we are thinking

On 10/11/2017 at 4:01 PM, Scotty2Hotty said:

No jinxing to it. Our 2017 QB is healthier than our 2016 QB. 

Ftfy

Archived