3 injured players expected to practice

aubiefifty

3 injured Auburn players expected to practice, status for LSU to be determined

Auburn defensive back Javaris Davis (13) runs an interception back for a touchdown against Mississippi State during the second half Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, at Jordan Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala.
Auburn defensive back Javaris Davis (13) runs an interception back for a touchdown against Mississippi State during the second half Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, at Jordan Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala.(Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)

243 shares

Three injured Auburn players are expected to practice on Tuesday, but their status for Saturday's game at LSU won't be known until later in the week.

Gus Malzahn said starting left guard Mike Horton and cornerbacks Javaris Davis and Jamel Dean will all practice Tuesday. Horton aggravated a left ankle injury and Dean also went down in last week's win over Ole Miss, while Davis was held out.

"Mike Horton will give it a shot in practice (Tuesday)," Malzahn said. "We'll see how he does. He definitely wants to play but we'll see how he does. I'll know probably more by Thursday, his complete status."

Malzahn said there is a "chance" Horton, who has started all six games this season, could play at LSU (2:30 p.m. CT, CBS). If not, Auburn will likely use the lineup that ended last week's game, with Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. at left tackle and Austin Golson at left guard.

"We've got a lot of confidence in Prince Tega and then Austin Golson has the ability - I think he's played his fifth position last week in six games," Malzahn said. "It tells you a lot about him, his versatility, which there's very few players around the country I feel like could do that."

Does Gus Malzahn regret playing Kamryn Pettway early in the season?

Does Gus Malzahn regret playing Kamryn Pettway early in the season?

Gus Malzahn now admits Auburn could have done more to rest Kamryn Pettway, who has been held out of two of the last three games.

Dean, who tied for a team-high with seven tackles and had a pass breakup last week, came off the field motioning to the left side of his helmet but his injury is undisclosed.

Davis, who had an interception return for touchdown against Mississippi State, was held out against Missouri due to a hamstring injury. It's unclear if he aggravated the same injury before last week's game.

"Both of them will be at our practice (Tuesday)," Malzahn said. "We'll see how they do. It'll be kind of one of those deals; we'll know later in the week for sure."

Starting middle linebacker Tre' Williams, who had four tackle off the bench in his first action in three weeks and came out at halftime, said he expects to play this week.

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @JamesCrepea.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Gus Malzahn now admits Auburn could have done more to rest Kamryn Pettway, who has been held out of two of the last three games.

It’s nice to see Gus admit Auburn could have done more.  Damn Auburn, get your act together.

12 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Malzahn said there is a "chance" Horton, who has started all six games this season, could play at LSU (2:30 p.m. CT, CBS). If not, Auburn will likely use the lineup that ended last week's game, with Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. at left tackle and Austin Golson at left guard.

I'll take "Whoever can best corral Arden Key for $100,000, Alex."

Just to reiterate here, I expect everyone back in the secondary. Horton 50:50 at this point with my personal feeling that he will be out this week. T Williams wants to play and could play,  but I'm going to put his return as 70% favorable as of today (upgrade from 50/50 yesterday.) 

tomorrow is usual decision day though, so we shall see.

1 minute ago, passthebiscuits said:

T Williams wants to play and could play,  but I'm going to put his return as 70% favorable as of today (upgrade from 50/50 yesterday.) 

Out of all our questionable players, this is who we need most healthy this week. LSU is hands down the most formidable rushing team we have faced to date.

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Out of all our questionable players, this is who we need most healthy this week. LSU is hands down the most formidable rushing team we have faced to date.

Maybe. Clemson doesn't have scrubs... And LSU has a real problem trying to run between the tackles.

16 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Maybe. Clemson doesn't have scrubs... And LSU has a real problem trying to run between the tackles.

No maybe to it. Clemson has Kelly Bryant, who runs off-tackle with the zone read much like Marshall did.

LSU has Guice, who runs it straight ahead with two TEs.

We have not faced a rushing attack this potent yet this season. It has been all passing.

Point being, we need Tre Williams.

23 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

No maybe to it. Clemson has Kelly Bryant, who runs off-tackle with the zone read much like Marshall did.

We have not faced a rushing attack this potent yet this season. It has been all passing.

I agree we need Tre back. 

But Tavien Feaster isn't a slouch and would most likely be starting here, or at the very least we would have 1A, 1B, and 1C. 

And maybe you have been watching LSU from last season. This season... Guice ain't running it between the tackles... not with any success that is. Guice has less than 400 yards... is averaging 4.4 yards a carry and is averaging 72.8 yards per game. I will say again, LSU can NOT run it between the tackles this season.

38 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

For what it's worth, both of LSU's starting OTs are banged up and may not be able to go. So there is a chance they start 2-3 freshmen on the O-line. That has to weaken their rushing attack. 

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Bolt/LSU-Tigers-Football-Injury-Updates-ahead-of-Auburn-Game-108775610

18 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

For what it's worth, both of LSU's starting OTs are banged up and may not be able to go. So there is a chance they start 2-3 freshmen on the O-line. That has to weaken their rushing attack. 

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Bolt/LSU-Tigers-Football-Injury-Updates-ahead-of-Auburn-Game-108775610

Their entire OL weakens their rushing attack this year. Guice is a stud playing behind garbage. This is the worst OL I've seen out of LSU in a LONG TIME. Like pre Jerry DiNardo bad...

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I agree we need Tre back. 

But Tavien Feaster isn't a slouch and would most likely be starting here, or at the very least we would have 1A, 1B, and 1C. 

And maybe you have been watching LSU from last season. This season... Guice ain't running it between the tackles... not with any success that is. Guice has less than 400 yards... is averaging 4.4 yards a carry and is averaging 72.8 yards per game. I will say again, LSU can NOT run it between the tackles this season.

Feaster was zero factor when we played Clemson. He isn't now either. Bryant is still their main rushing threat and he is the key to a team picking off Clemson eventually. You take away Bryant's rushing, you beat Clemson.

I'm not saying LSU is a rushing juggernaut. I'm saying that is their only way to beat us. They can crank it when they need to and more importantly, we have not been challenged in the rushing D. Point is, we will need all hands on deck in the rushing D to beat LSU in a place we haven't in 18 years.

If you think they won't challenge our rushing D and instead, try to Matt Canada finesse their way to a victory, then you are a fool. This is a trenches game if I've ever forecasted one to be. If I'm Matt Canada, that's what I do because AU's defensive strength is their pass rush and secondary. They haven't been challenged with a run-first offense. Plus their MLB is injured.

1 hour ago, Sani-Freeze said:

So you really think they won't play in the biggest game of their careers?

Yeah I'm betting Tre Williams and Horton won't play either.

16 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I'll take "Whoever can best corral Arden Key for $100,000, Alex."

This is one of the funniest bits ever.

11 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

So you really think they won't play in the biggest game of their careers?

Yeah I'm betting Tre Williams and Horton won't play either.

I agree with your whole argument about Guice and the running game but is this really the "biggest game of their careers?" Sorry but, as big as this game is to both teams, it's hardly the most important one of the year for either team. Losing to Auburn doesn't mean the season is over - they're only 4-2 right now. LSU can realistically beat Ole Miss, Arkansas, Tennessee, and possibly A&M at the end of the year to finish 8-4 and possibly even end up ranked. It's not like Orgeron's fate depends on this weekend - he's probably not getting fired this year unless he loses to Tennessee among others.

7 minutes ago, lca408 said:

I agree with your whole argument about Guice and the running game but is this really the "biggest game of their careers?" Sorry but, as big as this game is to both teams, it's hardly the most important one of the year for either team. Losing to Auburn doesn't mean the season is over - they're only 4-2 right now. LSU can realistically beat Ole Miss, Arkansas, Tennessee, and possibly A&M at the end of the year to finish 8-4 and possibly even end up ranked. It's not like Orgeron's fate depends on this weekend - he's probably not getting fired this year unless he loses to Tennessee among others.

Most LSU fans don't expect him to be fired at all. His buyout is $12 million and the state of Louisiana is in a fiscal crisis. Unless they can find some big donor to front all the money, it doesn't happen. He has to REALLY tank the season to be fired....meaning lose most of his SEC games and probably finish the season not being bowl eligible. Anything more than that and he probably keeps his job, which pisses all the LSU fans off because they hate the guy and think it was a terrible hire. 

LSU is starting three true freshman on the OL.. two at both tackle spots. This is not “the most formidable rushing attack we’ll face”. You guys are giving LSU too much credit, they suck.

13 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Feaster was zero factor when we played Clemson. He isn't now either. Bryant is still their main rushing threat and he is the key to a team picking off Clemson eventually. You take away Bryant's rushing, you beat Clemson.

I'm not saying LSU is a rushing juggernaut. I'm saying that is their only way to beat us. They can crank it when they need to and more importantly, we have not been challenged in the rushing D. Point is, we will need all hands on deck in the rushing D to beat LSU in a place we haven't in 18 years.

If you think they won't challenge our rushing D and instead, try to Matt Canada finesse their way to a victory, then you are a fool. This is a trenches game if I've ever forecasted one to be. If I'm Matt Canada, that's what I do because AU's defensive strength is their pass rush and secondary. They haven't been challenged with a run-first offense. Plus their MLB is injured.

Perhaps you missed them not being able to run it between the tackles vs Florida, Troy, Syracuse, or Mississippi State? I didnt. I've watched all their games. The only games they have been able to run between the tackles is BYU and Chattanooga. And I'm sorry, you can't do it on THEM, you won't do it on us.

The only way they have a chance is to try and run to the outside... Which we have far too much speed for that to be successful. 

This isn't the LSU teams we are used to seeing. They still cant pass, Etling is horrific... now with their 3/5 of the starting OL injured, it just ain't happening. Yes we haven't won there since I was freshly out of high shool and in basic training for the Navy, but this won't be the usual game from them. This will be much more like the beat down we gave them in 2014. 

Watch and see. I'll be glad to come back here and eat crow, but if I were you I'd get ready to eat a boney black bird. Theres a storm coming, and it sure isnt LSUs rushing attack.

But i still agree we need Tre back.

26 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

LSU is starting three true freshman on the OL.. two at both tackle spots. This is not “the most formidable rushing attack we’ll face”. You guys are giving LSU too much credit, they suck.

Not all of us @ClaytonAU. Some of us see what this really is, and not what it has been.

LSU is already plagued by by having to find 5 linemen out of 10 on scholarship... And they ain't that good either. Now LSU has to replace two tackles with freshmen?

Orgeron will be carrying his groceries out in boxes because poor Danny Etling will be taking all the sacks.

19 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Perhaps you missed them not being able to run it between the tackles vs Florida, Troy, Syracuse, or Mississippi State? I didnt. I've watched all their games. The only games they have been able to run between the tackles is BYU and Chattanooga. And I'm sorry, you can't do it on THEM, you won't do it on us.

The only way they have a chance is to try and run to the outside... Which we have far too much speed for that to be successful. 

This isn't the LSU teams we are used to seeing. They still cant pass, Etling is horrific... now with their 3/5 of the starting OL injured, it just ain't happening. Yes we haven't won there since I was freshly out of high shool and in basic training for the Navy, but this won't be the usual game from them. This will be much more like the beat down we gave them in 2014. 

Watch and see. I'll be glad to come back here and eat crow, but if I were you I'd get ready to eat a boney black bird. Theres a storm coming, and it sure isnt LSUs rushing attack.

But i still agree we need Tre back.

I predicted AU to win the SEC so no crow necessary. I also never said we couldn't blow them out. I'm saying LSU will be testing our LBs with the run and we need Tre Williams. I think we win by 3-9 points. 

4 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I predicted AU to win the SEC so no crow necessary. I also never said we couldn't blow them out. I'm saying LSU will be testing our LBs with the run and we need Tre Williams. I think we win by 3-9 points. 

Well good we are somewhat on the same page. 

We both agree Tre returning is something we really need. We both agree we will win this game. I don't think we win out. I don't think we win the SEC. And I certainly don't see this game being within 10 points for them. I think we win by 30 at least, and Guice will have 0 luck running it between the tackles. He hasn't been able to do it with their starting OL healthy and he hasn't been able to do it against lesser opponents. 

Normally I am right with you thinking this will be a tough hard fought close game. But this isn't the LSU we have grown accustomed to playing. This LSU team is really down. And I feel that Gus is tired of being asked about not winning there since 99. This will look more like the Arkansas game from last year than the 3-2 Mississippi State game from years ago.

9 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I'd be laying some serious coin with that much confidence.

Trust me, with the line where it is, if I had any extra money, I would. I've never placed a wager on a game, doubt I ever will.

So it is now Friday any solid news from yesterday's practice to determine if they can go?

1: M. Horton

2:K. Pettway

3: J. Davis

4: J. Dean

5: T. Williams

Archived