The Perfect Scenario

tigerbrotha12

AU wins out, UGA wins out except loses to Auburn. Bama wins out except loses to Auburn. Clemson wins out. Auburn gets to beat UGA again in SEC Championsip to avenge all those years twice in one season. Auburn goes to playoff as 4 seed because the committee "still sees Bama as the better team" (like Ohio State last year). Auburn beats Clemson in the first round semifinal to avenge three losses to Dabo and then beats Bama in the iron bowl national championship to officially end the Tide's reign over the state of Alabama by beating them twice in one season, and end the "experts" garbage of putting a team that didn't even win their conference into the playoff. Unlikely? Yes. Out of the realm of possibilities? Don't know if it is yet....

What happens if we lose to UGA but beat Bama and then beat UGA in round 2 in the SECCG? Do they put a 2 loss SEC Champ in the playoffs? The SEC sucks this year so IMO the conference's clout holds no weight. That Clemson game really took away our margin for error IMO and it was completely winnable.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

What happens if we lose to UGA but beat Bama and then beat UGA again in the SECCG? Do they put a 2 loss SEC Champ in the playoffs? The SEC sucks this year so IMO the conference's clout holds no weight. That Clemson game really took away margin of error away IMO and it was completely winnable.

HAHA interesting thought there.  Even more interesting would be if they would take a 1 loss turd town to playoffs over conference champion ala Ohio State last year.

1 minute ago, lkeel75 said:

HAHA interesting thought there.  Even more interesting would be if they would take a 1 loss turd town to playoffs over conference champion ala Ohio State last year.

I would personally incite a riot if that happened.

1 good thing about the Clemson loss, thankfully due to their schedule being trash, is that it's going to look like a "good loss" for us. But 2 losses on the season keeps us out of it IMO. I think the committee will do all that it can to prevent a 2 loss team in the playoffs. 

Haha, nice. Never occurred to me it was even statistically possible to beat UGA and Bama twice each in the same season. 

Although at this point it would be nice to beat one of them once in the course of a season . . . 

24 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What happens if we lose to UGA but beat Bama and then beat UGA in round 2 in the SECCG? Do they put a 2 loss SEC Champ in the playoffs? The SEC sucks this year so IMO the conference's clout holds no weight. That Clemson game really took away our margin for error IMO and it was completely winnable.

At this point, it is impossible to even speculate with any accuracy.  However, in that scenario it is likely that the SEC ends up sitting out of the Playoffs entirely if other teams continue their current trajectories.  Clemson and Penn State will occupy two slots if they continue.  The Big 12 Champion (which could be an undefeated TCU) and a possibly undefeated PAC-12 Champion would likely occupy the other two.  In that scenario, even any one loss conference champions should go before any SEC team.

Sending a one loss Georgia team is the only one that makes any sense at all.  No two loss team should take a slot over any one loss team, so that rules out Auburn.  Alabama would have one loss, but that loss will have come to the only good team they played.  Considering the current state of the SEC, I think a one loss SEC Champion is the bare minimum for inclusion if the other four conferences' good teams keep doing what they are doing.  The rest of their wins would be completely unimpressive compared to what TCU, Oklahoma, or Oklahoma State would have had to do to win the Big 12.

Of course, the overall landscape will likely look very different by the end of November.

51 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Yes they would.    No doubt about it.    Perception is reality in the playoff picks.    They even made it to a BCS NC game without winning the division.   Now there's 4 slots.....no chance they wouldn't get at least a 4-seed.

56 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I that case, Bama goes.  I think it's in the NCAA bylaws or something... 

41 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Because a 2-loss SEC Champion has won the National Title in the 21st Century, it can and will happen again. 

I think this is one of the main reasons they went to a playoff model though. That and a non-division winner winning the national title. 

That's a lot to have happen but its a fun scenario to think about.   I think the scenario mentioned above where we lose to uga in the regular season then beat bama and avenge the loss in the SEC title game is more likely.  And it would be interesting to see what the committee would do with a 2 loss AU team whose only 2 losses were to Clemson on the road (and I guess we're assuming they make the playoff again) and a loss to a uga team that they avenged three weeks later.  Would be hard to keep us out with that record.  

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I think this is one of the main reasons they went to a playoff model though. That and a non-division winner winning the national title. 

Yes but 2 additional teams are now added to the pot. All it takes is for 1 of the P5 conference champs to have a worse regular season finish than a 2-loss SEC champ and it will happen again. Just a matter of when. 

15 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I really wanna play Clemson again. We gotta beat them to close out this decade 

It'd be really nice to see which team improved and matured more over the season. 

Just now, AU Tytrocious said:

It'd be really nice to see which team improved and matured more over the season. 

honestly its hard with Clemson. They play down to their opponents levels so often. They looked pretty garbage without Bryant last week tho. For all that Dabo's done well, he hasnt had to go through a season (or a game) without his starting QB in recent memory. It'll be interesting to see if they can keep it up

Archived