ESPN OTL Report on Auburn football, AD

WDE_OxPx_2010

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.   Don't click on espn garbage.  That is my advice.

2.  Strategically, bama didn't benefit the last time espn broke a story 2 weeks out from a surging Auburn program in 2010.  Ooops.  

3.  Conspiracy theory:  espn doesn't want to wait til Auburn has too much momentum, like 2010.  Out of the 3 road games, this is the toughest environment.  If we don't lose, look for this story to intensify without evidence - JUST LIKE THE CAM STORY the closer we got to their "ratings baby" .  

4.  Funny how an MSU coach and a booster met with Cam's dad, but that mess never was story about the MSU program where the evidence led.   

5.  As posted, this mess shows up when it conveniently benefits others, never in the off-season.  Feb of 2015?  yeah this is a media set up.  Right when AU hits a 3 game road streak and staff is in frenzy of work and recruiting. 

6.  Lastly bama is trailing in the recruiting world b/c their depth is rock solid and kids won't play for 2-3 yrs.  They would rather lose a recruit to anyone but Auburn for obvious reasons.  ("Trailing" much farther back that usual and lots is in the balance.)

Seth Williams, Quay Walker (may flip), Justin Ross, C Miller all come to mind

big story for "zero evidence".   Ask yourself "who benefits from a toothless scandal?"

3 hours ago, fishepa said:

Just like the Cam stuff it doesn't matter whether it's true or not.  Anyone outside of Auburn see's the headline and thinks it's true.  Damage is done already.

I stopped worrying about what people outside of Auburn think of Auburn in 2004.

37 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Did I read that right?  Did it say it was a former player who had returned to finish his degree?  So he wasn't even on the team at the time?  I know I sound like a homer but why is this front page news on ESPN??? Are we missing something?  Is there more coming? I know ESPN is no friend of Auburn but this seems strange to spend time on this and put it on the front page.  

59 minutes ago, constructiontiger said:

You're not wrong! It's felt like us against the world ever since.

My thoughts: this very well may have been leaked by the BOT, or someone close to it. The goal is to get JJ out, and anything that could supply a veritable coup de gras would be ideal. This has "takedown piece" written all over it. 

UNLIKE where this quote is typically directed, "Nothing to see here, move along..."  :Sing::ucrazy::zapbama:

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am so tired of this clown as well. IDK WTF his problem is but he always has snide comments about Auburn and cheating.

While he is a douche, he isn't wrong. Most Auburn people are past being ready for JJ to be out.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

**** ****, ***** ****. ****!!!! 

Now that I got that out of the way.... Are you freaking serious? Even if we are clean damage has been done in the perception department. Hopefully this is nothing at all. 

As far as perception goes, it's not been the same since the Eric Ramsey ordeal. 90% of everything since then has been negative and we have been called one of the biggest cheaters in all of college football.

4 hours ago, fishepa said:

Just like the Cam stuff it doesn't matter whether it's true or not.  Anyone outside of Auburn see's the headline and thinks it's true.  Damage is done already.

They absolutely believe it's true. Because you know, everyone believes everything they say on TV... as far as damage goes.... that was a LONG TIME AGO, and hasn't ever changed.

1 hour ago, constructiontiger said:

In 2005 maybe, but in 2004, we all cared what people outside Auburn thought. We needed people outside of Auburn to get us at least a shared national championship. And that didn't help, because no one outside the SEC felt we were worthy. We needed people on our side. Maybe people SHOULD care how people look at us.

THIS is what a real investigation and story looks like. Not whatever BS this crap was today with Auburn.

28 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

My thoughts: this very well may have been leaked by the BOT, or someone close to it. The goal is to get JJ out, and anything that could supply a veritable coup de gras would be ideal. This has "takedown piece" written all over it. 

Did you read the response by AU?  This whole thing is fake. No one would have leaked a fake story about an ex player that had returned as a non player to finish his degree doing something inappropriate (even though that likely didn't even happen). Nope, if anyone "leaked" this it was a very weak attempt by the REC

the guy wasn't even on the team when the "incident" occurred

An ONLINE course no less.  There is no merit to this at all, but even if it was true, are so many people out there so dim as to actually believe that there isn't cheating involved with ONLINE course work?  Really people.

7 hours ago, AU9377 said:

An ONLINE course no less.  There is no merit to this at all, but even if it was true, are so many people out there so dim as to actually believe that there isn't cheating involved with ONLINE course work?  Really people.

The really funny thing is it is incredibly simple to cheat on the online class tests by yourself.  You literally copy the question, and put it into Google and the answer pops up.  There are safeguards in place to prevent this, like an attempt to lock your screen, but it is really easy to circumvent like having another internet engine open.  If the guy couldn't figure this out, he was never going to pass that test.  Not saying I did this, just heard from a friend...

There are several former athletes who continue to work towards their degree. I won't name names. They would surely know the tutors. So something like this could possibly happen. It could possibly happen anywhere.

But (1) so far, the accuser keeps changing her story and has produced no evidence, (2) the internal investigation has turned up no evidence, (3) both the tutor and the former athlete deny it, and (4) even if it is true, it has zero NCAA implications -- it might result in the former athlete being denied the degree or required to take the exam over, and the tutor would surely be fired if it's true. But ONLY if some evidence pops up.

So far, this is just ESPN publishing the whining accusation of a person who lost their job. People can make up anything. Not only is there no fire, there's not even any smoke.

38 minutes ago, AURex said:

There are several former athletes who continue to work towards their degree. I won't name names. They would surely know the tutors. So something like this could possibly happen. It could possibly happen anywhere.

But (1) so far, the accuser keeps changing her story and has produced no evidence, (2) the internal investigation has turned up no evidence, (3) both the tutor and the former athlete deny it, and (4) even if it is true, it has zero NCAA implications -- it might result in the former athlete being denied the degree or required to take the exam over, and the tutor would surely be fired if it's true. But ONLY if some evidence pops up.

So far, this is just ESPN publishing the whining accusation of a person who lost their job. People can make up anything. Not only is there no fire, there's not even any smoke.

It's basically not a sports story and belongs on the back page of the Plainsman somewhere.

SEC Country, Al.com & several other lowest common denominators are reporting ESPN's multiple unchecked "fact" errors in this "story" about a 2015 player that actually wasn't a player when this supposedly happened in 2016, is being phrased by them as "latest Auburn cheating" - in the reporting of the retraction ("correction"). Who is running our sports media relations office?!? Compare to last month's NY Times' fully vetted, substantiated piece on systemic FSU football academic fraud (a regular and recent problem for them). It was barely touched by sports news outlets around the country. I get it being blathered by Bama's media arm Al.com but regional and national outlets are picking up this non story and running with it. 2010 comes to mind.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/sports/ncaafootball/florida-state-football.html

14 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Auburn has been investigating it for two months at least and the person making the accusation has yet to produce any proof and the law firm we hired has yet to find any.  The player in question has denied it and the mentor denies it as well.

I'm calling BS.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Articles can be as long and convoluted as Webster's dictionary, all it comes down to is proof and substance, neither of which is present here.  Internal investigation - nothing, Law firm - nothing, accuser - nothing.  These articles are intended as click-bait and for people who need gossip to live out their lives.  But this is also know around the ESPN circuit as "standard operating procedure". 

And yes the timing is very suspect....

Talk about sleazy crap.  Now USA Today has done an article and they not only weave in the basketball and softball stories they use our hiring of the law firm to go all the back to the Ramsey tapes and lies from 15 years ago.  I'm not linking it because it is trash journalism at its worst.  

I THINK this will blow over pretty quick.  Its off ESPN's front page already.  I'm sure Finebum will have a lot to say but with games coming up this weekend it should pass unless new info comes out.  If this is where journalism is now its in sad sad shape. 

Archived