Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Thought with the ESPN hit piece and all the back and forth on Gus how about something a little lighter?  Stroll down memory lane for your best and worst LSU memories...

I can tell you my first real crushing loss as an AU fan was the 88 LSU game (earthquake game).  I was only 11 and only a couple of years into my AU fandom but I was accustomed to Auburn winning and by that year I understood how important that game was.  I still hate the name Tommy Hodson to this day.  I always wonder what would have happened had Auburn won that game, its only regular season loss.  Would we have gotten a shot at ND for the natty?  Guess we'll never know. 

The 1994 Interception game has a special place for me.  I vividly remember watching in my room back in the old JP Sports days and feeling despair that LSU was about to snap our streak when suddenly the INT's started.  It was exhilarating and after the last pick 6 that gave us the lead I just collapsed and had tears of joy!  

I was at the "Fire" game in 96, it was my second ever Auburn game in person.  First time I got to experience an Auburn game day atmosphere for a big SEC game.  Incredible electricity.  Game didn't turn out like we wanted but very memorable.  

Still love the 97 win in Baton Rouge with Craig and company taking down Cecil the Diesel Collins.  That was the first year I had season tickets and that win set up some big games I got to see in person and of course helped get us to the SEC title game for the first time.  

 

Hoping we have a new good memory of a win in Baton Rouge this weekend! WDE!  

Edited by OnthePlains
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




My favorite has to be the 2004 game.  I've never attended an Auburn game as intense as that one, and the crowd was the loudest I've ever heard in JHS.  Great game in a great season!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

My favorite has to be the 2004 game.  I've never attended an Auburn game as intense as that one, and the crowd was the loudest I've ever heard in JHS.  Great game in a great season!

Heck yeah! Courtney Taylor!! Great game and great season! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2004 has to be my favorite ever. 2006 was the most physical game I may have ever seen. 2007 was probably the most gut wrenching LSU game I've witnessed. We should've won that game and would've probably gone to the SECCG. 2013 I was really proud of AU during the LSU game cause they didn't give up, and I believe that set the precedence for the rest of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first game at Baton Rouge was in 1972, we were late arriving to the stadium and by the time we got in we were down by 14.  The only loss the Amazins had that year.  Oh what could have been?

My 2nd trip was the “earth quake” game, I stopped going after that.  I’m scared to death of “Death Valley”.  Hoping this year will be a lot different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

2004 has to be my favorite ever. 2006 was the most physical game I may have ever seen. 2007 was probably the most gut wrenching LSU game I've witnessed. We should've won that game and would've probably gone to the SECCG. 2013 I was really proud of AU during the LSU game cause they didn't give up, and I believe that set the precedence for the rest of the season.

Man that 06 game was brutal! I have never seen a more physical football game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

My first game at Baton Rouge was in 1972, we were late arriving to the stadium and by the time we got in we were down by 14.  The only loss the Amazins had that year.  Oh what could have been?

My 2nd trip was the “earth quake” game, I stopped going after that.  I’m scared to death of “Death Valley”.  Hoping this year will be a lot different.

72 was before my time but of course I know about that season.  Do you think AU would have been in natty contention had they beaten LSU? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

my first game as a member of the AUMB

A buddy and I were sitting in the end zone opposite the fire so we saw the smoke rising up.  I remember thinking should we evacuate?  lol...Seemed like everyone stayed pretty calm and I don't remember but I'm sure they made an announcement to tell everyone it was ok.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

72 was before my time but of course I know about that season.  Do you think AU would have been in natty contention had they beaten LSU? 

No, because Auburn was an also ran in the popularity poles most of the pre BCS era (see 2004).  However, if we were undefeated in 1972 we might have avoided playing OU in the Sugar.  What a disappointing finish to that season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My favorite!

Agree.  Was in he stadium row 23 section 16.  Had a broken collar bone from playing flag football (easiest way to pull the flag is to tackle them).  When the last pick 6 happened I found myself about 8 rows up and about 10 people on top of me all in a huge pile of celebration.

Also have to add the D. Craig/Cecil the diesel game in BR.  Craig was a one man team that night.  I was there, my only trip to BR for a game.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only going off of the one's I have attended.  This year will be my 8th LSU/AU game in person.

Favorite:  2004.  Senior year for me.  AU won in dramatic fashion, then a friend and I drove five hours to Jacksonville to watch the Broncos/Jaguars the next day (noon kickoff).  Finished that, drove straight back to Auburn.  Fun weekend.

Most Painful:  2005.  Went down with a bunch of friends day of the game.  Had a great day partying with people, had amazing seats, then watched Kenny Irons run for 200+ on LSU.  Still, we lose because of the 5 missed FGs.  On top of that, it was right after Katrina, so we had to drive all the way back to Mobile to get a hotel room at 2 a.m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm only going off of the one's I have attended.  This year will be my 8th LSU/AU game in person.

Favorite:  2004.  Senior year for me.  AU won in dramatic fashion, then a friend and I drove five hours to Jacksonville to watch the Broncos/Jaguars the next day (noon kickoff).  Finished that, drove straight back to Auburn.  Fun weekend.

Most Painful:  2005.  Went down with a bunch of friends day of the game.  Had a great day partying with people, had amazing seats, then watched Kenny Irons run for 200+ on LSU.  Still, we lose because of the 5 missed FGs.  On top of that, it was right after Katrina, so we had to drive all the way back to Mobile to get a hotel room at 2 a.m.

Wow, that 04 weekend must have been awesome.  I wonder if that 05 loss would rank very high in a poll of AU fans of the most painful losses they have been through.  I can imagine that was a long drive to Mobile afterward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Wow, that 04 weekend must have been awesome.  I wonder if that 05 loss would rank very high in a poll of AU fans of the most painful losses they have been through.  I can imagine that was a long drive to Mobile afterward. 

Yeah, that 04 weekend was really, really fun

For me, the most painful losses I've witnessed in person are:

2009 Iron Bowl

2005 LSU

2002 UGA

2003 Ole Miss

 

Most fun wins were:

2013 Iron Bowl

2010 Iron Bowl

2004 LSU

2001 UGA

2001 Florida

Edited by Brad_ATX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Yeah, that 04 weekend was really, really fun.

For me, the most painful losses I've witnessed in person are:

2009 Iron Bowl

2005 LSU

2002 UGA

2003 Ole Miss

For me 99 Iron Bowl...we were supposed to lose but having to watch bama celebrate their first win at JHS was painful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite was 2010. That was the moment that I knew just how special that season was. It wasn't the biggest or craziest game ever, but it was the most *fun* Auburn game I've ever been to. We ran on those bastards for 440 yards that day. Very seldom do we so completely dominate a good, physical football team like that. The big plays, the party after the game... just so much fun. 

Had I not been in the stadium in 2010, I might go with 2006. I know bama fans who call that one of their favorite games ever. Nothing but grown ass men on the field that day, on both sides. 

Worst was 2007. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WinningTradition said:

My favorite Lsu game was 2010. When Cam broke that 49 yard run i was in the end zone student section. He was running right at me. 

  

This is mine as well.  It felt like that run was in slow motion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, corchjay said:

Agree.  Was in he stadium row 23 section 16.  Had a broken collar bone from playing flag football (easiest way to pull the flag is to tackle them).  When the last pick 6 happened I found myself about 8 rows up and about 10 people on top of me all in a huge pile of celebration.

Also have to add the D. Craig/Cecil the diesel game in BR.  Craig was a one man team that night.  I was there, my only trip to BR for a game.  

Me too in 97. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, IndianTiger said:

I was in the student section with a great view of all the interceptions, 1994

Awesome.  I just watched the last few minutes of that game on youtube.  Still incredible that LSU kept throwing.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

The 1994 Interception game has a special place for me.  I vividly remember watching in my room back in the old JP Sports days and feeling despair that LSU was about to snap our streak when suddenly the INT's started.  It was exhilarating and after the last pick 6 that gave us the lead I just collapsed and had tears of joy!  

I was at that game. I was only a teenager. We were sitting in an endzone. My brother (being a bama fan) was dressed in all Alabama gear. At the start of the 4th quarter, the stadium was SILENT. My brother took it upon himself to stand up and yell Roll Tide at the too of his lungs. Literally everyone sitting around us turned and looked at him. I've NEVER been as scared at JHS. Luckily I was dressed in all Auburn gear and grabbed him and sat him down. 

Had he tried that crap at any other stadium I've ever been to, we would of been lucky to escape without being assaulted in one way or another. 

That is my most memorable game vs LSU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I was at that game. I was only a teenager. We were sitting in an endzone. My brother (being a bama fan) was dressed in all Alabama gear. At the start of the 4th quarter, the stadium was SILENT. My brother took it upon himself to stand up and yell Roll Tide at the too of his lungs. Literally everyone sitting around us turned and looked at him. I've NEVER been as scared at JHS. Luckily I was dressed in all Auburn gear and grabbed him and sat him down. 

Had he tried that crap at any other stadium I've ever been to, we would of been lucky to escape without being assaulted in one way or another. 

That is my most memorable game vs LSU. 

HAHA, I feel your pain.  My youngest sister became a bammer.  I feel I failed somehow as a big brother.  I bet he got real quiet in that 4th quarter though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this