Fire him now. Start the search. (updated with mea culpa)

TitanTiger

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Ah, isn’t believing the D wasn’t quite as invincible as they thought actually developing a narrative to support your exiting beliefs? :poke:  

I know you're kind of kidding, but no... it's looking at what happened. That's what I do, I take what I see and analyze it. I don't develop behind the scenes drama stories. I also assume that everyone acts in their best interest, because that's the default for humans. So in Gus's case, his best interest is to win. We just fell into the trap we often fall into... being the team who happens to face an opponent right when they finally figure things out, so we expect a push-over and get a scrapper. That's why LSU is currently ranked 16/17 even though they lost 3, including one to lowly Troy. They are far better than their early performances make them out to be.  So are we.

In any case, in the LSU game, Gus very obviously put on the brakes in the second half and tried to run the clock, trusting the D to bring home the win... and the D couldn't get it done.  Now, how much of that was because the D has weaknesses (they played a little cocky, going for home runs instead of sure tackles and getting burned, and falling for motion that they normally wouldn't) and how much of it is because we were ill-prepared for Guice is total speculation, but we learned that our D was not capable of holding a 20 point lead against a good offense, that day, and since then, we haven't put them in that position but instead kept trying to score no matter how far ahead we were.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I get it now. If you'e a sunshine pumper it's called "analyzing", but if you're an objective fan it's not. Got ya. The rest of us are just crazy and love bashing people.  If you were truly analyzing,  you could see plain as day the difference in play calling and strategy between Chip and Gus. What you're seeing now is all Chip or at best a collaborative effort which is what we all wanted. The results are obvious based on previous tendencies. I have an idea though. How about we all celebrate the fact that our team has finally come full circle and operating as it should be. I won't and refuse to apologize for expecting more from Gus and if it takes torches and pitchforks to get Gus motivated to what he's capable and being paid to do I'll gladly dust them off for use again. 

Beating UGA and Bama makes up for the bonehead LSU loss, but Gus still does things that drive me nuts.  Like running KJ into the ground, still running hopelessly up the middle on first down too often and Saturday running our MVP QB into a wall on  a crucial 3rd down when a quick, short pass would have likely worked. And inserting backup QB for most obvious run in history was a momentum killer,  just no need to get cute when we were rolling. Other than that ... will definitely take the win!

We just beat the #1 team twice in the last 3 weeks and if we can get by UGA again someway somehow we win the SEC and get to the playoffs, which was the dream at the start of the season.  Yes the LSU thing was awful but maybe it is time to get over it.  This coaching staff has done an amazing job of blocking out the noise and getting us to this point.  They just need to stay away from the rat poison for a few more days.  

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I know you're kind of kidding, but no... it's looking at what happened. That's what I do, I take what I see and analyze it. I don't develop behind the scenes drama stories. I also assume that everyone acts in their best interest, because that's the default for humans. So in Gus's case, his best interest is to win. We just fell into the trap we often fall into... being the team who happens to face an opponent right when they finally figure things out, so we expect a push-over and get a scrapper. That's why LSU is currently ranked 16/17 even though they lost 3, including one to lowly Troy. They are far better than their early performances make them out to be.  So are we.

In any case, in the LSU game, Gus very obviously put on the brakes in the second half and tried to run the clock, trusting the D to bring home the win... and the D couldn't get it done.  Now, how much of that was because the D has weaknesses (they played a little cocky, going for home runs instead of sure tackles and getting burned, and falling for motion that they normally wouldn't) and how much of it is because we were ill-prepared for Guice is total speculation, but we learned that our D was not capable of holding a 20 point lead against a good offense, that day, and since then, we haven't put them in that position but instead kept trying to score no matter how far ahead we were.

Gus’ strategy might have worked if it wasn’t for the Special Team play.  We were constantly losing field position in the second half and the punt return, I believe, wasn’t even considered in Gus’ strategy.

There were other factors, such as the dropped INT that resulted in a TD on that same drive in the 1st half, but it seemed that the overall strategy was to rely on our defense to come through.  

I’ve been very critical of Gus in the past, but it was in the interest of Auburn to see Gus evolve into the coach we thought he could be.  Just before the LSU game I decided to toned down the rhetoric as it was interfering with the enjoyment of the games for me and Gus was either going to lose or keep his job by his performance during the remaining games.

As to the criticism Gus has received, it was well deserved and I’m still on the wait and see program (although I have to admit I am ecstatic as to what I have seen).  I don’t know if Gus is working better with Chip because Gus now trusts his OC or it was because JJ will be out of the picture soon or some other reason.  I don’t care, I can only go by what I see.

No one has ever improved his lot in life without some constructive criticism, the key it to know what is constructive and to listen to it.  We, as fans, know something has changed with Gus as he has a skip in his step and is talking with a lot more confidence.

Beat UGA a second time and witness the evolution of the coach we all wanted when Auburn hire Gus.

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

We, as fans, know something has changed with Gus as he has a skip in his step and is talking with a lot more confidence.

Gus explained that one... his wife gave him a little smack-down and reminded him that he and everyone else on the team should be having fun.  All us married folk should be familiar with that method of adjustment.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus explained that one... his wife gave him a little smack-down and reminded him that he and everyone else on the team should be having fun.  All us married folk should be familiar with that method of adjustment.

As I posted; No one has ever improved his lot in life without some constructive criticism, the key it to know what is constructive and to listen to it.

The wife is the one to do that and we usually listen.

On another note:  I always get the last word in an argument with my wife.

It’s “yes dear”

50 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Oh I get it now. If you'e a sunshine pumper it's called "analyzing", but if you're an objective fan it's not. Got ya. The rest of us are just crazy and love bashing people.  If you were truly analyzing,  you could see plain as day the difference in play calling and strategy between Chip and Gus. What you're seeing now is all Chip or at best a collaborative effort which is what we all wanted. The results are obvious based on previous tendencies. I have an idea though. How about we all celebrate the fact that our team has finally come full circle and operating as it should be. I won't and refuse to apologize for expecting more from Gus and if it takes torches and pitchforks to get Gus motivated to what he's capable and being paid to do I'll gladly dust them off for use again. 

What's funny is you think your torch and pitchfork motivated Gus...:-)

2 hours ago, jtauburntiger said:

This makes me crazy about our fan base.  If there is a good play call -  Gus turned it over to the OC (even the last 4 years when we had a sub-par OC - we gave him credit for good games but blamed Gus when things went bad).  we hear it so much from people that have no source of truth / evidence -  that I think people just accept this garbage as fact.   The reality is that OC's make bad play calls.  The reality is that Gus has the ability to make good play calls - that is how he got this job.  Do i think that Gus sets expectations during the week for what the O should look like and plays that he wants to see incorporated - while working with his OC (YES... this is what good Head Coaches do, at least the offensive minded ones).  But do I think that every week CL stands on the sideline waiting for Gus to cut in and force a play down his throat - NO... CL would not be at Auburn if that is what was going on.   The reality is that our HC and our OC have both said that the OC calls the plays - so why on earth do we spout this EVERY TIME we don't like a play call, that Gus called that one play, or that quarter of the game, or whatever.   No OC worth anything would come work for a HC that does that crap - as we went out and got one of the hottest OCs in the nation.  He did not come here to fill a void and let Gus call plays when he feels like it.  We as a fan base need to accept (unless you have proof) that Lindsey is calling the plays and PLEASE stop this  

If you have proof that Gus takes play calling away from Lindsey - please explain your proof.  But the fact that you don't like a play call and you don't like Gus - does not equal proof.  True ... true... and unrelated!

end rant, War Eagle - 3 more to go... 

Ding a ling a ling a ling a ling a ling.

This is the sound of an alarm clock going off to wake you up out of your dream world.

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

This is the sound of an alarm clock going off to wake you up out of your dream world.

You make a convincing argument. 

2 hours ago, creed said:

Know what else is funny? That you think I give a s*** about your smartass comment. ?

I don't think it was wrong to think Gus should be fired. I wouldn't have done it during the season. That would be a very bad thing. And I thought he deserved the chance to finish strong. But I had no confidence that would happen.

I don't apologize for being wrong. I said then, and I'll say it now, I'm glad I was wrong. But we had good reasons for our opinions.

3 hours ago, creed said:

Ikr ...as if Gus is doing what posters here want him to do...crazy. I don’t care what or why....however i do think he just developed a mean streak...let’s just pummel them and worry about it later...

4 hours ago, NCeagle said:

Beating UGA and Bama makes up for the bonehead LSU loss, but Gus still does things that drive me nuts.  Like running KJ into the ground, still running hopelessly up the middle on first down too often and Saturday running our MVP QB into a wall on  a crucial 3rd down when a quick, short pass would have likely worked. And inserting backup QB for most obvious run in history was a momentum killer,  just no need to get cute when we were rolling. Other than that ... will definitely take the win!

Wait a minute ...so all those plays were Gus and the other ones were Chip?

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

Know what else is funny? That you think I give a s*** about your smartass comment. ?

Lol...you know what I'm thinking....you're good.:bow:

This thread is still going?

Can't we all just relax and enjoy this crazy finish to the season? We can grab our pitchforks and torches again next season when we lose the opener to Washington. ;)

Total joke... we're going to kill those Huskies. ;)

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I think our D was good enough that day. However remember the heat index was above 100 degrees and we had a very long string of 3 and out on offense. The D never had time to rest or make adjustments. It was as if the O just gave up and put it all on the D without any chance to adjust or rest. What little clock we managed to run did little to offset the swiftness of the D's demise. In that heat, no one could have done a better job given the circumstances our HC put the D in. A HC has to know this.

4 minutes ago, auskull said:

I think our D was good enough that day. However remember the heat index was above 100 degrees and we had a very long string of 3 and out on offense. The D never had time to rest or make adjustments. It was as if the O just gave up and put it all on the D without any chance to adjust or rest. What little clock we managed to run did little to offset the swiftness of the D's demise. In that heat, no one could have done a better job given the circumstances our HC put the D in. A HC has to know this.

We sold out on the run to burn clock and they stuffed us, but our coaches were willing to lay it all on the D because passes don't burn clock.

I don't deny that the heat didn't make it any easier, but look at LSU's other opponents after us. Other than bama, who had a couple of weeks to prepare for a healthy Guice and a new spark in the LSU offense, they ran all over everyone.

Our failings in special teams were also a big factor. Thank God we're trying to get that Aussie punter.

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We are obviously fortunate that Gus is still here but anyone who was massively pissed off after all the bad losses the last few years- with LSU being the worst of them all- was completely justified in being so. People in his position deserve to be criticized harshly for failing miserably at their jobs, which he has done several times in the last couple years. We are all moving forward together but I'm not really going to get wrapped up in big apologies. Also, our players and assistant coaches deserve just as much credit for staying on mission as Gus does for getting his head out of his butt.

4y1fJoT.jpg

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We are obviously fortunate that Gus is still here but anyone who was massively pissed off after all the bad losses the last few years- with LSU being the worst of them all- was completely justified in being so. People in his position deserve to be criticized harshly for failing miserably at their jobs, which he has done several times in the last couple years. We are all moving forward together but I'm not really going to get wrapped up in big apologies. Also, our players and assistant coaches deserve just as much credit for staying on mission as Gus does for getting his head out of his butt.

Might I also give special props to Chip, in particular as assistant coaches go, for taking the brunt of it all from playcalls in the beginning, especially from the lsu game when we know it wasn't all him calling those plays!

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

True, but that should have been last year's Clemson game  the 2013 NC game. Oh well. Moving on.

FIFY

19 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

This was not pointed at you, this was pointed at the 1000 posts on this point over the past 4 years by countless Gus haters.  But thanks for the convincing evidence and the thoughtful discussion supporting your stance.  

2 minutes ago, jtauburntiger said:

This was not pointed at you, this was pointed at the 1000 posts on this point over the past 4 years by countless Gus haters.  But thanks for the convincing evidence and the thoughtful discussion supporting your stance.  

Sorry. Sounded like it was directed at me. Anybody who knows the intricacies of football should be able to look at the games we lost last year and see the difference between the play calling of then and the play calling Sat. It is very obvious when Gus interjects himself into the play calling.

14 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Sorry. Sounded like it was directed at me. Anybody who knows the intricacies of football should be able to look at the games we lost last year and see the difference between the play calling of then and the play calling Sat. It is very obvious when Gus interjects himself into the play calling.

anyone who looks at those games sees a new offensive coordinator, a new quarterback with the ability to stretch the field vertically that we have not had in a long time, a healthy quarterback (which we did not have in many of our losses over the past 2 years), an improved defense and multiple other improvements over that 12 month period.   Most of those improvements can at least be partly credited to Gus.  

I agree that the play calling is very different, and I am very glad about that.   But most unbiased individuals would attribute that to improved personnel, experienced returning personnel compared to last year (O Line, RBs, Hback,...), and an improved offensive coordinator.  Because we have proof that all of those things have occurred.  But that is a discussion based on facts.... 

Archived