Fire him now. Start the search. (updated with mea culpa)

TitanTiger

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SaltyTiger said:

this song? not very much.

On 10/14/2017 at 6:51 PM, WarTiger said:

We need to move Steele to Interim Head coach and let Chip take the offense and Steele to stay out of his way.   What we saw today was inexcusable and should have never happened.  We have to make a change or we'll never see anything different.  It sucks but its the reality of where we are, IMO.

HAHAHAHA We all can't be directors. Me included. 

7 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Hey mods, can we lock this one down? People are stil arguing about firing Gus when nobody wants him fired anymore.  Kinda pointless, don't ya think? Thanks, love ya, bye.  

wait what? who is arguing? All I am seeing is people (like me) owning up for being wrong about gus and having fun with it. I have not seen 1 person be negative about gus since this post got active again.

No, I meant arguing with each other, just rehashing their old feelings.  I don't think anyone's negative toward Gus now.  Sorry, if I offended.  I was really just trying to be a little funny.  Guess it didn't come across that way. :dunno:

9 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

No, I meant arguing with each other, just rehashing their old feelings.  I don't think anyone's negative toward Gus now.  Sorry, if I offended.  I was really just trying to be a little funny.  Guess it didn't come across that way. :dunno:

lol muhhhhhhhhhhhhhh bad fam!! I guess I had a @ellitor moment not being able to read the room and the sarcasm.

3 minutes ago, tigerfangs said:

I think it's funny how wrong we can be at times. No need to be mad at someone for their opinions, right or wrong. Let's enjoy, no need to lock it down.

Brian-Fantana-60-of-the-time-it-works-ev

Is no one worried about Gus jumping to Arkansas?  This could be a very real threat.

I understand its Arkansas, and a step down, but its home and much less of a pressure cooker than Auburn.  He may want that.

I hope the PTBs are working on a nice extension/raise for Gus because I think that is what it is going to take to keep him on the plains.

15 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Is no one worried about Gus jumping to Arkansas? 

No.

Gus is wildly ambitious. Ambitious coaches don't go from Auburn to Arkansas. Ambitious coaches also don't pass up the wealth of talent we'll be returning, nor the opportunity to establish domination or at least equal footing with the best CFB coach in 30 years and maybe in history... in the same state.

Gus has it cooking here. He just survived the AD who hired him. It is now established fact that Auburn is a place where he can stay in the conversation for conference supremacy and beyond. He's recruited lights out every year he's been here. He's a guy who coaches want to work for and players want to play for. He knows that only his own silly game day mistakes stand between this team and an undefeated record in a season where he's taken on the #1 team three times. He's hammered the word "stability" in post-IB interviews.

I'm of the opinion that Gus is looking at saban's run at bama and thinking, "I'm'a steal his cookie." He can do that here. He knows that now. 

Edit: Even more than his salary, I think what you're going to see now- with an SECCG appearance and a new AD- is Auburn seriously joining the facilities arms race. We are behind the big boys and evidently JJ made a lot of unkept promises. Just imagine what this staff can accomplish when our toys are as shiny as the bamas' and TAMUs' of the world. 

25 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Is no one worried about Gus jumping to Arkansas?  This could be a very real threat.

Not impossible, but I would be shocked.

10 hours ago, tigerfangs said:

I think it's funny how wrong we can be at times. No need to be mad at someone for their opinions, right or wrong. Let's enjoy, no need to lock it down.

I don't think anybody who wanted Gus gone after LSU were wrong.  His performance over the last few years left no reason to think things were changing.  No apologies were necessary.

What's happened since that debacle is a miraculous turnaround.  Nobody expected it....nobody.  Hoped?  Sure.  Expected? Nope.  ...and if you claim you expected it, then you probably expect a unicorn to mosey on up to you one day too.

So, conversely, if he keeps this going then nobody will be wrong in wanting AU to back up the Brinks truck to get him to stay. 

My query.. Any of this change in attitude have to do with not having to answer to Jacobs anymore?

24 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't think anybody who wanted Gus gone after LSU were wrong.  His performance over the last few years left no reason to think things were changing.  No apologies were necessary.

What's happened since that debacle is a miraculous turnaround.  Nobody expected it....nobody.  Hoped?  Sure.  Expected? Nope.  ...and if you claim you expected it, then you probably expect a unicorn to mosey on up to you one day too.

So, conversely, if he keeps this going then nobody will be wrong in wanting AU to back up the Brinks truck to get him to stay. 

My query.. Any of this change in attitude have to do with not having to answer to Jacobs anymore?

As my broker always says, “past performance is not indicative of future results.”  Looking at the past performance over the last 2 1/2 years, Gus’ trend was down and after the LSU game, the turn around was epic.  That quote is a double edged sword and patients is a virtue.

At least we’re not the U of Tenn.

39 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

11 hours ago, tigerfangs said:

11 hours ago, tigerfangs said:

HAHAHAHA We all can't be directors. Me included

Every has an opinion, no one should bash anyone for it. It is funny to go back and see people say it will never change, when obviously it has. I thought he would be fired between the Sunday after LSU and season end. 

I was wrong, others were wrong. It's ok. WAR EAGLE BEAT UGA!

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm of the opinion that Gus is looking at saban's run at bama and thinking, "I'm'a steal his cookie." He can do that here. He knows that now. 

I feel like after the Iron Bowl, he realized with the talent he has stocked now especially on defense that is a real possibility. 

12 hours ago, jtauburntiger said:

anyone who looks at those games sees a new offensive coordinator, a new quarterback with the ability to stretch the field vertically that we have not had in a long time, a healthy quarterback (which we did not have in many of our losses over the past 2 years), an improved defense and multiple other improvements over that 12 month period.   Most of those improvements can at least be partly credited to Gus.  

I agree that the play calling is very different, and I am very glad about that.   But most unbiased individuals would attribute that to improved personnel, experienced returning personnel compared to last year (O Line, RBs, Hback,...), and an improved offensive coordinator.  Because we have proof that all of those things have occurred.  But that is a discussion based on facts.... 

The thing that I can't understand why people can't grasp is the fact that your play calling is in direct relation to the capabilities of your team and when multiple key players are hurt, or your players are adjusting to a new system, it's going to effect how you call the game. 

In my opinion, in the past 5 years, there were two games where the coaches totally blew it with play calling.  One was in direct relation to the fact that they sold out on turning a not so good QB into a great QB and it completely backfired on them and the other was because they got too confident in the D for their own good. They bounced back from both of those and I don't expect either mistake to happen again. Every other loss was a combination of growing pains and injuries.

These same coaches when to the national championship game with a defensive back behind center, own several of the top 10 plays of all times, have called games that laid historic beat downs on opponents, cost several opposing coaches their jobs, and just beat bama by a margin not seen since before my butt was born.

Unfortunately a lot of the issue is the culture of the SEC. It is that way now, it was that way when I was a student, and it's been that way for a long time before. The SEC is quick to call for the head of their coach when they aren't beating enough teams or just aren't beating what the fans have fabricated as "the right teams", in that constant search for the next legacy coach. What they don't get is that those legacy coaches are mostly a thing of the past and only exist now in places where they have mastered the art of working the system without getting busted. Before the season, people were raving about how amazing Dabo, Harbaugh, and Meyer are. Dabo dropped one to a crappy Syracuse team, Meyer dropped 2, one of which was to a crappy Iowa team, and Harbaugh... well if he was in the SEC, the fans would be talking about how flaming hot his seat is. 

Here's the fun part, we just saw that even with the best team that money can buy and a coach that makes nearly 3x what the opposing coach makes, you can still get beat handily by a team with a lot fewer stars and a coach who's fan base wanted him gone just a few weeks earlier. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

His performance over the last few years left no reason to think things were changing. 

I just have to question this statement...

2015 2016 2017
Mississipi State 9-17 (8 pt L) 38-14 (24 pt W) 49-10 (39 pt W)
Ole Miss 19-27 (8 pt L) 40-29 (11 pt W) 44-23 (21 pt W)
Texas A&M 26-10 (16 pt W) 16-29 (13 pt L) 42-27 (15 pt W)
Arkansas 46-54 (8 pt L) 56-3 (53 pt W) 52-20 (32 pt W)
LSU 21-45 (14 pt L) 18-13 (6 pt W) 23-27 (4 pt L)

Average 4.4 pt L Average 16.2 pt W Average 20.6 pt W

Seems like we've been improving every year since the QB debacle of 2015 even without the Georgia and Alabama wins.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I just have to question this statement...

2015 2016 2017
Mississipi State 9-17 (8 pt L) 38-14 (24 pt W) 49-10 (39 pt W)
Ole Miss 19-27 (8 pt L) 40-29 (11 pt W) 44-23 (21 pt W)
Texas A&M 26-10 (16 pt W) 16-29 (13 pt L) 42-27 (15 pt W)
Arkansas 46-54 (8 pt L) 56-3 (53 pt W) 52-20 (32 pt W)
LSU 21-45 (14 pt L) 18-13 (6 pt W) 23-27 (4 pt L)

Average 4.4 pt L Average 16.2 pt W Average 20.6 pt W

Seems like we've been improving every year since the QB debacle of 2015 even without the Georgia and Alabama wins.

I'll put my eye test over this stuff you came at me with and be comfortable with my thought.  Improved failure is still failure.  And don't counter Clem, LSU, Ga & Ala bed crappings with wins over msu, ole miss & arky.

So...after the Clem and LSU performances you expected this turnaround ending in sound beatings (with magnificent coaching) of Ga & bama did you?

Just now, AUsince72 said:

I'll put my eye test over this stuff you came at me with and be comfortable with my thought.  Improved failure is still failure.  And don't counter Clem, LSU, Ga & Ala bed crappings with wins over msu, ole miss & arky.

So...after the Clem and LSU performances you expected this turnaround ending in sound beatings (with magnificent coaching) of Ga & bama did you?

Actually yes, I thought we still had a great shot at Georgia and Alabama. I saw LSU for what it was... overconfidence and lesson learned. We owned them until we took our foot off the gas and I guarantee you if we got another shot at them the results would be different. As for Clemson... new OC with a new scheme, new, very rusty QB, newly restructured O-line, playing what is now the #1 team in the country with one of if not the best Defensive Line and losing by 8. It was what it was. I said as much here after the game and it wasn't taken very well.

Also, as I've tried to tell people here but the don't seem to understand, a 20.6 point average win rate over the majority of the SEC West is not failure. The "we must beat LSU, Georgia and Bama (the other 3 top teams in the league) to be a success" thing is all fabricated in the minds of people who don't like those teams because they have been designated our rivals. They all have top players and good staffs and it will be a battle to beat them every year, unless one of them hires another Shula. The only way we will ever be bama, like some people seem to think is the only measure of success, is if we cheat like they do, and we don't have the machine in place to do that. What we have done is firmly established ourselves in the top 4 teams of the toughest conference in the NCAA. That is success... and we keep getting better every year... also success.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Actually yes, I thought we still had a great shot at Georgia and Alabama. I saw LSU for what it was... overconfidence and lesson learned. We owned them until we took our foot off the gas and I guarantee you if we got another shot at them the results would be different. As for Clemson... new OC with a new scheme, new, very rusty QB, newly restructured O-line, playing what is now the #1 team in the country with one of if not the best Defensive Line and losing by 8. It was what it was. I said as much here after the game and it wasn't taken very well.

Also, as I've tried to tell people here but the don't seem to understand, a 20.6 point average win rate over the majority of the SEC West is not failure. The "we must beat LSU, Georgia and Bama (the other 3 top teams in the league) to be a success" thing is all fabricated in the minds of people who don't like those teams because they have been designated our rivals. They all have top players and good staffs and it will be a battle to beat them every year, unless one of them hires another Shula. The only way we will ever be bama, like some people seem to think is the only measure of success, is if we cheat like they do, and we don't have the machine in place to do that. What we have done is firmly established ourselves in the top 4 teams of the toughest conference in the NCAA. That is success... and we keep getting better every year... also success.

I have no problem admitting I am squarely in this camp.  Why aren't you?  It's why football fans watch football.  If AU didn't beat those teams "Cliff Hare Stadium" would hold 35,000 people and this would be the soccer forum instead.

But hey... Fire is hot and ice is cold.  Can't wait to read your counter to those.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I have no problem admitting I am squarely in this camp.  Why aren't you?

I'm a realist.  As I said in my previous post, those are perennially three of the top teams in college football and almost always 3 of the top teams in the SEC. To measure your success on beating them is paramount to beating your head against the wall. You're never going to be satisfied and never going to be able to enjoy what you have.

This board is a prime example of the danger of that kind of attitude. I remember when you were the king of silver linings.  I remember when Loof was a fun guy known for a clever turn of phrase. I remember when WDE was the cool insider that didn't have an unkind word for anyone. Now you are all throwing barbs because you've let something as silly as football drag you down.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm a realist.  As I said in my previous post, those are perennially three of the top teams in college football and almost always 3 of the top teams in the SEC. To measure your success on beating them is paramount to beating your head against the wall. You're never going to be satisfied and never going to be able to enjoy what you have.

This board is a prime example of the danger of that kind of attitude. I remember when you were the king of silver linings.  I remember when Loof was a fun guy known for a clever turn of phrase. I remember when WDE was the cool insider that didn't have an unkind word for anyone. Now you are all throwing barbs because you've let something as silly as football drag you down.

I'm not throwing barbs at all.  My original post attacked no one.  Matter of fact, it was more an "absolution" to those who seemed to feel the need to apologize when there was nothing to apologize for.

Now, I'm simply retorting to your contrarian attitude to pretty much anything I say.  I get it...you're a better person than me, you're smarter than me.  You may drop the mike now.

Archived