Fire him now. Start the search. (updated with mea culpa)

TitanTiger

45 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The Alabama game was absolutely Gus changing. We came out swinging from the jump. Gus usually likes to go conservative on first drives. We threw the ball 28 times. For gus that is like running the air raid and throwing it 70 times! lol. Usually in every game before LSU and the lsu game itself  gus was so content to just to the same ol ish of running the ball every first down and running until they stopped it with some deep shots mixed in. The Georgia and especially the bama games looked completely different from anything else we have seen from gus this year. 

This. I like many on here was in a dark place after LSU. Wasn’t sure I wanted him around at all to finish out the season. If he has changed and realized his errors I’d be happy to have him around for years to come. To see us throw so many times on 1st down in these past few games has been a dream come true. Old Gustav making me a believer again love eating crow sandwiches! 

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tbone1430 said:

This. I like many on here was in a dark place after LSU. Wasn’t sure I wanted him around at all to finish out the season. If he has changed and realized his errors I’d be happy to have him around for years to come. To see us throw so many times on 1st down in these past few games has been a dream come true. Old Gustav making me a believer again love eating crow sandwiches! 

Same here fam!!! After the Lsu game I was ready to fire him then!!!!!!!! It was complete and utter insanity DOING THE SAME THING and getting the same result vs quality competition which LSU's defense was. SO HAPPY that apparently that humbling and humiliating loss made Gus take a long look in the mirror and realized he had to change. If that LSU loss is what it took to get us to where WE SHOULD BE which is championships plural with the amount of talent we have on this team then I will take that trade off every time.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I have noticed this as well fam. Like are you really beating your chest and pointing fingers at us saying we were wrong (which btw THANK GOD we were) when us being wrong does nothing but HELP Auburn!!! Isn't that enough? Also to boot most of us have all said how glad we were to be wrong and will happily eat crow! Some people just cannot resist and have to keep score or something and go in to business for themselves. 

There are also some who refuse to acknowledge all the praise some of us have shown Gus to go along with our critiques. That is what being a "realist" is. That is what being "analytical" is. That is what being "unbiased" is. Take the bad with the good. Acknowledge each for what they are. 

What's painfully obvious is that Gus *has changed*. It might be as simple as him finally trusting his OC and players to execute a post-Pop Warner game plan against decent teams. Whatever it is, I don't care. He's learned and he's improved and he's fixed the *only* serious flaw in his skill set. 

It took him far longer to do that than it should have- the fact that he didn't learn after last year's Clemson game, and that he *still* didn't learn after this year's Clemson game is what drove so many of us crazy and what led many very logical, very rational, very analytical, very Auburn-loving people to throw away their Bus card- but he did it and, by the grace of the football gods, he did it in time to get us into the playoffs. Gus owes me no apologies, nor do I owe him any. It's all good.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There are also some who refuse to acknowledge all the praise some of us have shown Gus to go along with our critiques. That is what being a "realist" is. That is what being "analytical" is. That is what being "unbiased" is. Take the bad with the good. Acknowledge each for what they are. 

What's painfully obvious is that Gus *has changed*. It might be as simple as him finally trusting his OC and players to execute a post-Pop Warner game plan against decent teams. Whatever it is, I don't care. He's learned and he's improved and he's fixed the *only* serious flaw in his skill set. 

It took him far longer to do that than it should have- the fact that he didn't learn after last year's Clemson game, and that he *still* didn't learn after this year's Clemson game is what drove so many of us crazy and what led many very logical, very rational, very analytical, very Auburn-loving people to throw away their Bus card- but he did it and, by the grace of the football gods, he did it in time to get us into the playoffs. Gus owes me no apologies, nor do I owe him any. It's all good.

Yes.  This just... Yes.

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The Alabama game was absolutely Gus changing. We came out swinging from the jump. Gus usually likes to go conservative on first drives. We threw the ball 28 times. For gus that is like running the air raid and throwing it 70 times! lol. Usually in every game before LSU and the lsu game itself  gus was so content to just to the same ol ish of running the ball every first down and running until they stopped it with some deep shots mixed in. The Georgia and especially the bama games looked completely different from anything else we have seen from gus this year. 

We disagree. If you desire to give Gus all the cred I'm cool with that. I think most of the changes are precisely what I mentioned previously. 

21 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

We disagree. If you desire to give Gus all the cred I'm cool with that. I think most of the changes are precisely what I mentioned previously. 

I think you are both right.

Gus has changed several things. I think his demeanor, alone, has helped the team get up for games. He's also definitely learned the importance of putting the pedal down and not letting back up, at least not all of the way, until the final whistle (thank you LSU... hate that we had to give you a W for that lesson). Other less obvious things have changed, too. Player discipline is not causing rifts on the team like in years past (discussed in another thread). And let's face it, Gus has got some swagger, which is kind of weird for his personality, but kind of awesome too.

That being said, I agree with you that a lot of the big changes we've seen as the season went on were the natural progression of a new team with a new OC and a new QB finding their rhythm and coming into their own. I expect to see more of that next year, but instead of starting at zero, we are going to be in near championship shape from the first snap.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus has changed several things. I think his demeanor, alone, has helped the team get up for games. He's also definitely learned the importance of putting the pedal down and not letting back up, at least not all of the way, until the final whistle (thank you LSU... hate that we had to give you a W for that lesson). Other less obvious things have changed, too. Player discipline is not causing rifts on the team like in years past (discussed in another thread). And let's face it, Gus has got some swagger, which is kind of weird for his personality, but kind of awesome too.

That being said, I agree with you that a lot of the big changes we've seen as the season went on were the natural progression of a new team with a new OC and a new QB finding their rhythm and coming into their own. I expect to see more of that next year, but instead of starting at zero, we are going to be in near championship shape from the first snap.

Dude, I will say that though I don't disagree with your 2nd paragraph, I believe your 1st paragraph is what made it possible (post LSU).

You add the two together and we're :cheers:.

War Eagle.

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Dude, I will say that though I don't disagree with your 2nd paragraph, I believe your 1st paragraph is what made it possible (post LSU).

You add the two together and we're :cheers:.

War Eagle.

:cheers:

The emotional roller coaster of the season was initially brutal and tore at my soul. I won’t beat around the bush—-the first three games, the offense had the look of 2012. I am no fair weather fan but I could not watch the three and outs in 2012, or when You-know-who would come back to the sidelines after throwing yet another interception, and have that big goofy grin on his face. The first three games dredged up that horrible memory. Then—-roller coaster is on the way back up as we demolish three teams in a row......then LSU.  I was frustrated but I believe justifiably so.    NOW——what a team!!  My love for Auburn and for AU football never waned.  I was just so terribly disappointed. 

What a truly spectacular turnaround.  So happy to be able to admit how wrong I was. Go Gus, go all the coaches, and go team.  LOVE THE NEW SWAGGER FROM GUS.     LIONHEART Called it——it is weird but oh-so-right 

War Damn Eagle

I am thinking that Gus is finally feeling the freedom to be this kind of Gus. I feel like he had that kind of swagger in 2010. Maybe a little in 2013. I am loving seeing the emotion in him. It is awesome. 

Archived