Why Gus will Absolutely be our Coach Next Season.

CoffeeTiger

On 10/17/2017 at 7:32 AM, Jayee165 said:

Seen in another website that JJ was offered an retirement package but hasn’t agreed to it because he believes that he can turn things around.

So imo if an exit plan for him is in place then hopefully they have some candidates for new AD. New AD will have follow boards first command. Gus is out. Well unless Gus beat tam and uga. Hard to fire a 9-3 coach. Add a bowl game win and it might save JJ. 

I believe that.  The more incompetent someone is the less likely they are to realize their own incompetence

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

So is the best case, we win out and still fire Gus??? 

Yes just like Ga did Mark. Unless you are ok with remaining on the middle tier. Gus has proven that without a miracle that’s where he will finish every year. 2010 and 2013 were still new with the HUNH. Since that time coaches have gone out and recruited different type players and increased conditioning. Your not going to beat people with that any more. As I said before you have. To be able to grow and adjust. Gus neither wants too or is capable.

9 hours ago, AUBourne said:

I don't understand how we can wait to replace JJ until Dec.  By the time we got an AD in place we would be well behind every other school in the country looking to replace their football staff.

Again every and I mean ever college level and NFL level coach is available if you really want them. Everyone has a price. As I said D1 top tier football is $125 + million dollar business. If you are serious like uat was you pay the price.

8 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes just like Ga did Mark. Unless you are ok with remaining on the middle tier. Gus has proven that without a miracle that’s where he will finish every year. 2010 and 2013 were still new with the HUNH. Since that time coaches have gone out and recruited different type players and increased conditioning. Your not going to beat people with that any more. As I said before you have. To be able to grow and adjust. Gus neither wants too or is capable.

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Again every and I mean ever college level and NFL level coach is available if you really want them. Everyone has a price. As I said D1 top tier football is $125 + million dollar business. If you are serious like uat was you pay the price.

doesn't get any plainer or easier to understand than this

Not to write an article but folks need to realize college football today is not the same as what we growled up with. ESPN and others have changed it completely. It is a big money game so is Basketball as you have just seen. So we need to make a decision. If we want to be like it used to be then drop back to Division two and treat it like a student interest sport, or stay in D1 and treat it like a professional business that it has become.thats just the truth. There is nothing we can do about it.

I might be the only one who's fairly confident about us beating Texas A&M. Why? Because ever since A&M joined the SEC, have y'all noticed that both Auburn and A&M have never won at home when playing against each other?

2012: A&M wins at Auburn
2013: Auburn wins at A&M (bonus points for beating Johnny Football on his own turf)
2014: A&M wins at Auburn
2015: Auburn wins at A&M 
2016: A&M wins at Auburn

Hopefully this trend continues this year.

19 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Not to write an article but folks need to realize college football today is not the same as what we growled up with. ESPN and others have changed it completely. It is a big money game so is Basketball as you have just seen. So we need to make a decision. If we want to be like it used to be then drop back to Division two and treat it like a student interest sport, or stay in D1 and treat it like a professional business that it has become.thats just the truth. There is nothing we can do about it.

And it won't change. If a group of colleges try to pull back on the reigns, another group will just pounce and dominate. CFB has become a huge bubble that may never break.

1 hour ago, WDE0007 said:

I might be the only one who's fairly confident about us beating Texas A&M. Why? Because ever since A&M joined the SEC, have y'all noticed that both Auburn and A&M have never won at home when playing against each other?

2012: A&M wins at Auburn
2013: Auburn wins at A&M (bonus points for beating Johnny Football on his own turf)
2014: A&M wins at Auburn
2015: Auburn wins at A&M 
2016: A&M wins at Auburn

Hopefully this trend continues this year.

Two things, 1, the trend has to end sometime and 2, we have an idiot for a coach.

To be honest, the 2015 win was one of Gus’ better coaching jobs.  IIRC, SW was out and JJ started and played an excellent game.  Having said that, A&Ms QB situation was a train wreck and our defense played a great game.

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Two things, 1, the trend has to end sometime and 2, we have an idiot for a coach.

To be honest, the 2015 win was one of Gus’ better coaching jobs.  IIRC, SW was out and JJ started and played an excellent game.  Having said that, A&Ms QB situation was a train wreck and our defense played a great game.

Valid points.

However, wasn't it actually Rhett Lashlee who called the plays in the 2015 A&M win? Correct me if I'm mistaken, though.

Just now, WDE0007 said:

Valid points.

However, wasn't it actually Rhett Lashlee who called the plays in the 2015 A&M win? Correct me if I'm mistaken, though.

I really don’t know who called the plays.  If you go by what Gus says in his pressers, you may be led to that conclusion, but he is not trust worthy when he speaks.

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Preaching to the choir!

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So if Nebraska hires Frost one week after the regular season ends you think AU could still go after him?  I don't see that happening.  I only use Frost as an example as there are many coaches and assistants I would be happy with.  But timing is crucial in this process. 

29 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

But timing is crucial in this process. 

Indeed, and time is not on our (fans) side.  We have a brand new President on campus.  An Athletic Department under serious investigation into multiple sports programs all lead by an Athletic Director who refuses to bow out gracefully for the good of his alma mater.  :puke:

1 hour ago, AUBourne said:

So if Nebraska hires Frost one week after the regular season ends you think AU could still go after him?  I don't see that happening.  I only use Frost as an example as there are many coaches and assistants I would be happy with.  But timing is crucial in this process. 

Yes if the price is right. That’s what I said. There is always a number that will move the needle. You just have to be willing to pay it. Enough money and the right agreement to their demand and you can get Nick Saben.

41 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

By the way I’m not a Frost fan. Good guy  but not proven at a big university. We need to quit experimenting. Find the proven guy and pay him the money.

Amen and Amen!

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

By the way I’m not a Frost fan. Good guy  but not proven at a big university. We need to quit experimenting. Find the proven guy and pay him the money.

Who would that be in your opinion?

wde

Someone who has already shown they can succeed at this level and shows the can operate as a CEO and make the right hires under them. Chip Kelly would be one but there are pro HC coaches making 5 million or less. Maybe even look at the OC/DC of the NFL for guys that have had previous HC experience. Norv Turner comes to mind. We don’t need a perticular offense or defense philosophy we need a leader who can create a winning team of coaches and support staff. I would much rather go with someone whe had mediocre experience in the pros than someone who did above average with a below P5 team.

Let me give you an idea of what I mean. Saben was decent before he went to the NFL and even though he didn’t set records in his short time there he did bring back knowledge from there. Look at the support staff he has assembled. He is running an NFL shop at uat. He has counselors and ex-coaches doing pre game summaries. He has top notch medical staff. Heck even the tent on the field to get the player back in the game immediately. He has it operating like a business. We have to match that if we want to be competitive year in and year out.

8 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

This isn't accurate.  UAT lucked out because Saban wanted to go back to College badly, so they were simply there at the right place at the right time.  You think that if he was still at LSU at the time that they could have convinced him to come to in-the-dumps Alabama? No chance.

The landscape in college has changed in the sense that almost everyone has money now; so the idea of pulling guys from good programs to come into your rebuilding situation simply isn't realistic, hence why bigger programs than Auburn have resorted to hiring coordinators and "unproven" guys in recent years.

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes if the price is right. That’s what I said. There is always a number that will move the needle. You just have to be willing to pay it. Enough money and the right agreement to their demand and you can get Nick Saben.i

I may get hammered for this but I wouldn't convulse in agony if Saban replaced Gus. Will never happen but you get my drift.

Ole miss, arky, tamu, tenn, mizzou, and even fla and lsu. All have a fan rebellions going on. What's creepy is that you could cut and paste almost any post from one team's forum to another and no one would notice. Same rants.

As has been discussed before, there's going be a feeding frenzy on coaches this year more than any other in memory - massive  competition with huge salaries and buyout clauses. I don't know if Gus is fixable, but especially this year, I don't like our odds of trading up.

But firing someone does feel good and looks like we're kicking butt and taking definitive action. Even if we don't have a friggin clue what to do after that.

In the beginning we'll be talking belichick, I'm just hoping at the end we're no in a bidding war for les miles.

22 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Ole miss, arky, tamu, tenn, mizzou, and even fla and lsu. All have a fan rebellions going on. What's creepy is that you could cut and paste almost any post from one team's forum to another and no one would notice. Same rants.

As has been discussed before, there's going be a feeding frenzy on coaches this year more than any other in memory - massive  competition with huge salaries and buyout clauses. I don't know if Gus is fixable, but especially this year, I don't like our odds of trading up.

But firing someone does feel good and looks like we're kicking butt and taking definitive action. Even if we don't have a friggin clue what to do after that.

In the beginning we'll be talking belichick, I'm just hoping at the end we're no in a bidding war for les miles.

Florida and LSU aren't making changes this year and Sumlin looks to have bought himself another year.  None of the other jobs you mentioned are better than Auburn.  Tennessee is the next best opening and they haven't been good in forever; nor do they have the recruiting base of Auburn (even as the #2 school in Alabama).

The fact of the matter is that teams are firing and hiring new coaches every single year now so its pretty pointless to try and wait out some magical opening wherein Auburn is the only school with a head coaching opening.  Its been "a bad year" for like 3-4 straight years now.

Archived