James Franklin

David Shaw

Peterson

Realistic shot:

PJ Fleck

Bobo

Venerables (sp)

Fuente

in the end, anyone who doesn't run the ball up the middle 17 times in a row. That's just ludicrous  

Once you make 5 guys say no, #6  is less likely.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This problem is rooted in the Atheletic Department and nothing will be fixed if we don't start from the ground up. Replacing Gus is just scratching the surface. Look at softball and baseball problems recently. Apparently more covering up than usual. Once that's fixed, more will get fixed.

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Once you make 5 guys say no, #6  is less likely.

I agree. Guess we should forget the old statement "better to shoot for the stars and miss  than shoot at sh#t and hit". 

25 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't know that there's a slam dunk out there, but there are some good candidates:

Chris Peterson
Scott Frost
Jeff Brohm
Justin Fuentes
P.J. Fleck

There are some more experienced guys who could probably do great things with Auburn's typical talent level:

Jimbo Fisher
Petrino
Gary Patterson

And you might not like him, but I think Jeremy Pruitt at Alabama is going to turn some school into a menace one day.

Petrino has lost 6 of his last 10 games, with a Heisman QB. 

In my lifetime, there has not been a football coach hired that I was excited about being hired.  I have hope that this will change, but I am not betting the farm on it.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

In my lifetime, there has not been a football coach hired that I was excited about being hired.  I have hope that this will change, but I am not betting the farm on it.

Sad but true. 

5 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Richt is a possibility IF Tubs is AD.

If Tubs is AD, wouldn’t that mean a lot has changed with regard to the PTB?  Not saying Tubs should be the AD, just that it would signal a philosophic change.  Looks like Leath is about to earn his money.  I would bet he didn’t see this coming when he took the job.

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

It is true.  Unfortunately it is very true.  There would have to be a complete change in how things are done at AU to attract one of these guys.  

Lots of schools have frequent turnover....and maybe the drama that goes with it and we just don't hear about it.  Petersen for example is the 5th HC at U of Washington in this century.....so it's not a place of stability either. And speak of drama, the U of Texas is notorious for booster interference and AD problems.

I think coaches are used to instability and accept that as part of the job if they figure they have a reasonable chance to meet expectations.

Numerous people have suggested that NS is the greatest reason that good successful coaches don't take jobs in the SEC.      If that is true it sure works to his benefit.    Basically he has created a climate in the conference where every week he faces a Butch Jones or Matt Luke, or Gus or Orgeron or Bert......all of which just about guarantees he will be successful....essentially has scared off most potential equals  JMO.

34 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Petrino has lost 6 of his last 10 games, with a Heisman QB. 

Petrino has always been at places where there is a limited recruiting ceiling. And frankly, his Heisman QB is not the kind of QB that normally excels at the finer points of his offense. But he’s still a top rate  offensive mind. 

41 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Petrino has always been at places where there is a limited recruiting ceiling. And frankly, his Heisman QB is not the kind of QB that normally excels at the finer points of his offense. But he’s still a top rate  offensive mind. 

Yes, a top offensive mind as in a great coordinator and play caller. That is different than being a great head coach. That's what has us in this mess. We hired a great offensive mind, who is in way over his head in terms of running a top program. 

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well the thing is, Dye had to compete against Bear, that was his main challenge. Georgia had their moments too, but Dye's main challenge was to compete against Bear. Saban has succeeded Bear a while ago, and on top of that, LSU and Georgia have dominated us this century in multiple ways. So basically you have to beat 3 top 15 programs on an annually basis, all 3 of which have your program's number 

Dye played Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, the turds every year, and yes those were the good ol days where Auburn would play anybody

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

If Tubs is AD, wouldn’t that mean a lot has changed with regard to the PTB?  Not saying Tubs should be the AD, just that it would signal a philosophic change.  Looks like Leath is about to earn his money.  I would bet he didn’t see this coming when he took the job.

Grain of salt warning...but yellawood is the only person that needs a little convincing on a Tubs hire. Don't know how I feel about that but that's what I heard.

15 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

We hired a great offensive mind, who is in way over his head in terms of running a top program. 

Eschew the mistress scandal, Petrino showed he could be a good HC at Arkansas. 

14 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

There's a reason our last few coaching hires have been unproven Terry Bowden from Samford, average Ole Miss coach Tubs, ridiculously under qualified Iowa State coach Chizik and unproven at the highest level Arky State coach Gus.  NO PROVEN COACH WILL COME HERE BECAUSE OF THE POLITICS INVOLVED AND THE PEOPLE WITH THEIR HANDS IN EVERYTHING.  Its not just the SEC.  

That's not entirely true.  Many coaches (or at least the handful I am aware of) perceive Jacobs as a problem, not Auburn.

I assume at this point JJ and Gus are tied at the hip.  One won’t get fired without the other.

crazy idea ... dump gus and JJ now.  Hire tubbs as interim head coach.  Yes, I’m serious.  Let him come in and settle everything down.  He was always a ceo head coach and his style was to let the player leadership run the team.  Think about the leadership tubbs had - heath was one of them.

this gives auburn a couple months to hire a good AD (not tubbs) who can then hire a REAL head coach.

btw ... IMO you cannot have a consistent championship program with a “nice guy” head coach.  So if you want auburn to consistently win championships then scratch the “nice guys” from your list.   No richt, no peterson etc.

start thinking franklin, Petrino etc.

we need a pissed off winner if we want to win yearly.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Brent Vennables

Jim tressel

Dan Wilson

Pat Narduzzi

Paul Chryst

Chad Morris

As long as he doesn't bring Bo Pelini with him I'd be ok with Tressel

14 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Heath Evans. I know it's a semi-joke but I'm kind of on board. Would keep Kevin Steele, would be a fantastic motivator (kinda like PJ Fleck) and would be a GREAT recruiter. Plus, he runs businesses. Has managerial experience. I'm telling ya he wouldn't be and X's and O's guy, but I believe he could get it done. I think he knows what it takes 

Spent the last day trying to come up with the reasons this is a bad idea, and yeah, I've got nothing.  

Muschamp all day !! If anybody remembers the last head coach hire came down to Gus or Kirby ! Well  which one would you hire now? Now Muschamp is a similar style and would turn things around .

1 minute ago, eagle12 said:

Muschamp all day !! If anybody remembers the last head coach hire came down to Gus or Kirby ! Well witch one would you hire now? Now Muschamp is a similar style and would turn things around .

Ew no. 

43 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Brent Vennables

Jim tressel

Dan Wilson

Pat Narduzzi

Paul Chryst

Chad Morris

Tressel...hmmmm...never thought about him.  Only thing is with the negative press we are getting from the Bruce Pearl hire would we even consider Tressel and his baggage? 

3 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Tressel...hmmmm...never thought about him.  Only thing is with the negative press we are getting from the Bruce Pearl hire would we even consider Tressel and his baggage? 

Probably not, but I would try.

Archived