next Head Coach

Eagle-1

4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

There's a reason our last few coaching hires have been unproven Terry Bowden from Samford, average Ole Miss coach Tubs, ridiculously under qualified Iowa State coach Chizik and unproven at the highest level Arky State coach Gus.  NO PROVEN COACH WILL COME HERE BECAUSE OF THE POLITICS INVOLVED AND THE PEOPLE WITH THEIR HANDS IN EVERYTHING.  Its not just the SEC.  

Politics and people with their hands in everything are not unique to Auburn.  With the exception of Alabama and South Carolina (Saban and Spurrier), no program in the SEC has recently hired a head coach that was a proven winner as a head coach at a P5 program.  Proven coaches have little interest in leaving a stable job that pays them millions of dollars to uproot their family and enter the pressure cooker that is the SEC and their program expectations.

Take Chris Petersen, a consistent fan favorite in coaching threads, for example.  He has Washington poised for another playoff appearance.  He has job security, at a program with significantly lower expectations than any of the SEC's major programs.  He is a west coast guy, that gets to live and work in Seattle.  Aside from money, which Washington would certainly pay to keep him, why would he come here?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

We could have had Gary Patterson, but Jacobs is an idiot. I have remained relatively silent about Jacobs, but I will just say I knew the jerk when we were at Auburn at the same time. Didn't like him then, but have not seen him in 30 odd years. He has the job he has for one reason. He is Pat Dye's boy. That is all I'm going to say about that for now.

sounds like every HC/AD we've had this century 

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Heath Evans just threw his name in the ring. sorta. 

I wish...

6 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Politics and people with their hands in everything are not unique to Auburn.  With the exception of Alabama and South Carolina (Saban and Spurrier), no program in the SEC has recently hired a head coach that was a proven winner as a head coach at a P5 program.  Proven coaches have little interest in leaving a stable job that pays them millions of dollars to uproot their family and enter the pressure cooker that is the SEC and their program expectations.

Take Chris Petersen, a consistent fan favorite in coaching threads, for example.  He has Washington poised for another playoff appearance.  He has job security, at a program with significantly lower expectations than any of the SEC's major programs.  He is a west coast guy, that gets to live and work in Seattle.  Aside from money, which Washington would certainly pay to keep him, why would he come here?

Ok, I'm too tired and too disappointed to argue.  You're right I'm wrong lets move on. 

I mean the fact is most Power 5 Schools have to take a shot at a up and coming coordinator or an up and coming group of 5 coach . There’s no promise that he’ll work and no way of knowing if it’ll work until years down the line .

With that being said I’m all for getting rid of Gus , he can’t give us Championships . 

But what do we get in return ? Most coaches will look at Auburn and laugh , though Auburn can pay the big bucks what coach would step into the spotlight of the SEC with a schedule that includes Alabama & Georgia every year .... there are much easier roads to Championships than Auburn 

the only thing we can do is roll the dice and hope we get the next Dabo

3 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Thank you so much for posting this link.  It's refreshing and compelling.  Completely!!!

2 minutes ago, WarEagleFromHoover said:

I mean the fact is most Power 5 Schools have to take a shot at a up and coming coordinator or an up and coming group of 5 coach . There’s no promise that he’ll work and no way of knowing if it’ll work until years down the line .

With that being said I’m all for getting rid of Gus , he can’t give us Championships . 

But what do we get in return ? Most coaches will look at Auburn and laugh , though Auburn can pay the big bucks what coach would step into the spotlight of the SEC with a schedule that includes Alabama & Georgia every year .... there are much easier roads to Championships than Auburn 

the only thing we can do is roll the dice and hope we get the next Dabo

You know I have been hearing this "who would want to compete with Bama and UGA" thing for a while and I understand the point...but, shouldn't we be looking for the guy who has some balls and WANTS the challenge?? I know coaches value security but they also value money and we can give that regardless of success obviously.  Hell we may still be paying coaches from the 90's.  I want the guy who wants to come after Saban the way Dye did Bear.  "we ain't scared of you no more coach"...where is that guy?  Are all coaches wussies now? 

From a proven coach and a spiritual stand-point, Mark Richt is a great coach and strong Christian. It would please me to no-end to see him beat GA again and again at AU. 

Chip Kelly would choice #2.  But but by all means, keep K.Steele if possible. 

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Georgia Bulldogs (Southeastern Conference) (2001–2015)
2001 Georgia 8–4 5–3 T–3rd (Eastern) L Music City 25 22
2002 Georgia 13–1 7–1 1st (Eastern) W Sugar 3 3
2003 Georgia 11–3 6–2 T–1st (Eastern) W Capital One 6 7
2004 Georgia 10–2 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Outback 6 7
2005 Georgia 10–3 6–2 1st (Eastern) L Sugar 10 10
2006 Georgia 9–4 4–4 T–3rd (Eastern) W Chick-fil-A   23
2007 Georgia 11–2 6–2 T–1st (Eastern) W Sugar 3 2
2008 Georgia 10–3 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Capital One 10 13
2009 Georgia 8–5 4–4 T–2nd (Eastern) W Independence    
2010 Georgia 6–7 3–5 T–3rd (Eastern) L Liberty    
2011 Georgia 10–4 7–1 1st (Eastern) L Outback 18 18
2012 Georgia 12–2 7–1 T–1st (Eastern) W Capital One 4 5
2013 Georgia 8–5 5–3 3rd (Eastern) L Gator    
2014 Georgia 10–3 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Belk 9 9
2015 Georgia 9–3 5–3 T–2nd (Eastern) TaxSlayer*    
Georgia: 145–51 83–37  
Miami Hurricanes (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2016–present)
2016 Miami 9–4 5–3 T–2nd (Coastal) W Russell Athletic 23 20
2017 Miami 5–0 3–0 (Coastal)      
Miami: 14–4 8–3  
Total: 159–55

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

You know I have been hearing this "who would want to compete with Bama and UGA" thing for a while and I understand the point...but, shouldn't we be looking for the guy who has some balls and WANTS the challenge?? I know coaches value security but they also value money and we can give that regardless of success obviously.  Hell we may still be paying coaches from the 90's.  I want the guy who wants to come after Saban the way Dye did Bear.  "we ain't scared of you no more coach"...where is that guy?  Are all coaches wussies now? 

Well the thing is, Dye had to compete against Bear, that was his main challenge. Georgia had their moments too, but Dye's main challenge was to compete against Bear. Saban has succeeded Bear a while ago, and on top of that, LSU and Georgia have dominated us this century in multiple ways. So basically you have to beat 3 top 15 programs on an annually basis, all 3 of which have your program's number 

Just now, WarTiger1 said:

From a proven coach and a spiritual stand-point, Mark Richt is a great coach and strong Christian. It would please me to no-end to see him beat GA again and again at AU. 

Chip Kelly would choice #2.  But but by all means, keep K.Steele if possible. 

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Georgia Bulldogs (Southeastern Conference) (2001–2015)
2001 Georgia 8–4 5–3 T–3rd (Eastern) L Music City 25 22
2002 Georgia 13–1 7–1 1st (Eastern) W Sugar 3 3
2003 Georgia 11–3 6–2 T–1st (Eastern) W Capital One 6 7
2004 Georgia 10–2 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Outback 6 7
2005 Georgia 10–3 6–2 1st (Eastern) L Sugar 10 10
2006 Georgia 9–4 4–4 T–3rd (Eastern) W Chick-fil-A   23
2007 Georgia 11–2 6–2 T–1st (Eastern) W Sugar 3 2
2008 Georgia 10–3 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Capital One 10 13
2009 Georgia 8–5 4–4 T–2nd (Eastern) W Independence    
2010 Georgia 6–7 3–5 T–3rd (Eastern) L Liberty    
2011 Georgia 10–4 7–1 1st (Eastern) L Outback 18 18
2012 Georgia 12–2 7–1 T–1st (Eastern) W Capital One 4 5
2013 Georgia 8–5 5–3 3rd (Eastern) L Gator    
2014 Georgia 10–3 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Belk 9 9
2015 Georgia 9–3 5–3 T–2nd (Eastern) TaxSlayer*    
Georgia: 145–51 83–37  
Miami Hurricanes (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2016–present)
2016 Miami 9–4 5–3 T–2nd (Coastal) W Russell Athletic 23 20
2017 Miami 5–0 3–0 (Coastal)      
Miami: 14–4 8–3  
Total: 159–55

Mark Richt has the best job he could ever have, he wouldn't dump that for us

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well the thing is, Dye had to compete against Bear, that was his main challenge. Georgia had their moments too, but Dye's main challenge was to compete against Bear. Saban has succeeded Bear a while ago, and on top of that, LSU and Georgia have dominated us this century in multiple ways. So basically you have to beat 3 top 15 programs on an annually basis, all 3 of which have your program's number 

And again I say ok find the guy who wants the challenge.  You're gonna become a millionaire whether you go 11-1 or 5-7.  I just want to get out of the defeatist mentality.  Auburn can compete.  We have seen it.  We just haven't seen it on a regular basis in a while.  I think there are more coaches out there scared of the Auburn job because of the boosters and the good ol boys network than competing with uat and uga. 

I have been hoping I have been wrong about Gus.  He seemed to have the team in good shape right up till the 2nd half.  I have called for him to be fired and replaced by Petrino.  Im gonna be honest.  I think if Jacobs and the BS that goes with him is gone,Auburn will be in a better spot.

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

The climate is different, you can get that 15 - 20 years ago but now with what coaches are being paid the pressure to win is harsh . 

My point is they are much easier jobs with the same win expectancy as Auburn 

Playing Alabama and Georgia every year will make the job unattractive for a lot of coaches 

And not only that but you have to play them both within 3 weeks at the end of the season when most teams are at their best ... 

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Mark Richt has the best job he could ever have, he wouldn't dump that for us

Who would you suggest?

Most programs go to proven assistants or promising coaches at lower-tier programs. Look what Oklahoma just did. Scott Frost, Willie Taggart, and maybe Neil Brown make sense -- the first two, a lot of sense.

39 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

The problem has nothing to do with Auburn.  Why leave a successful program with job security to walk into the pressure-cooker that is SEC football?

My thinking is that top flight coaches are ultra competitive and have a different psyche than the rest of us average joes and would be tempted by the challenge. But who knows

Just now, WarEagleFromHoover said:

The climate is different, you can get that 15 - 20 years ago but now with what coaches are being paid the pressure to win is harsh . 

My point is they are much easier jobs with the same win expectancy as Auburn 

Playing Alabama and Georgia every year will make the job unattractive for a lot of coaches 

And not only that but you have to play them both within 3 weeks at the end of the season when most teams are at their best ... 

Then what, we give up? 

1 minute ago, WarTiger1 said:

I bet he would. Its AU we are talking about.

There's a myriad of reasons why he wouldn't

1. Miami is a more respected and bigger name historically and currently (people might get mad over me saying this here, but its just true) 

2. Florida and State are trending down

3. Miami is the program he likes the most out of any single one on any level

4. Miami can pay as much, if not more than Auburn

5. I highly doubt it would sit right with him at all to come to Auburn after playing at Georgia. He still has love for Georgia from what I've seen. 

there's no real reason for him to come here 

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Then what, we give up? 

No we don’t give up we do what every other Power 5 school does when their current coach isn’t cutting it , you try to throw money at the big dogs (who you know aren’t coming ) while at the same time try to outbid other schools for what we all hope is the next big thing . 

Archived