next Head Coach

Eagle-1

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Who would you suggest?

I was asking for Petrino since last year, and it might be completely ass backwards, but under the auspices that he'd choose to retain most of the current defensive staff. Petrino has god awful defensive acumen, and it shows in the coordinators he hires. He also has zero capability of recruiting, but Auburn has enough top end recruits to last 2 or 3 years and if he can make that work, then the name will just recruit for itself offensively. One thing our defensive staff can do just fine is find recruits so I trust them to do that. 

if not that, then guys like PJ Fleck, Brohm those are your next best options. A real fiery "cool" young coordinator that wont get simply pulverized by the challenge of a close game. Someone players see some semblance of respect in. No one respects Gus, he's weak and flimsy. I want someone who still feels the passion of the sport of football. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

There's a myriad of reasons why he wouldn't

1. Miami is a more respected and bigger name historically and currently (people might get mad over me saying this here, but its just true) 

2. Florida and State are trending down

3. Miami is the program he likes the most out of any single one on any level

4. Miami can pay as much, if not more than Auburnrn

5. I highly doubt it would sit right with him at all to come to Auburn after playing at Georgia. He still has love for Georgia from what I've seen. 

there's no real reason for him to come here 

I see you points but I think Mark has something to prove in the SEC.  

And Miami is not respected more than AU are you kidding me?  This is Auburn!!!!!!!!! AU pockets run deep bro.

1 minute ago, WarTiger1 said:

I see you points but I think Mark has something to prove in the SEC.  

And Miami is not respected more than AU are you kidding me?  This is Auburn!!!!!!!!! AU pockets run deep bro.

You're not thinking from a national standpoint, you're thinking from an Auburn standpoint. I spend alot of time discussing ball with non-Auburn fans, you can go just about anywhere and find more people who know Miami and respect the legacy they have as a program. The NFL respects Miami more than Auburn. They arent known as the U for nothing. As far as money, again its Miami. I understand Miami had a tough time after Larry, but whether you want to accept it or not, they have become the talk of the league once more, and if Georgia is to falter, Richt will probably be a shoe-in for COTY (as long as they were to finish the reg season undefeated). They're the hottest you'll find in the game right now. 

The SEC also has no value currently, its terrible. Outside of Alabama and Georgia, every team here is not good. I wouldnt go somewhere for the sole sakes of beating Alabama when you can just meet Alabama in the playoffs, ala OSU or Clemson. The ACC is more challenging, specifically for Miami, with having to break the streak against FSU (as they did), dethroning a top 2 program of the 2010s (Clemson), and playing elite upstarts such as VT and NC State. I cant find a reason why he'd leave what appears to be a top 5 job for Auburn, which is not a top 5 job

4 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

My thinking is that top flight coaches are ultra competitive and have a different psyche than the rest of us average joes and would be tempted by the challenge. But who knows

I have no doubt that they are ultra-competitive.  However, they are also men with families being hired to do a job, and more importantly they are not stupid.  If the challenge was that important, Duke would be able to land and keep a top coach.  Nothing is more challenging than winning a national championship at Duke.

Winning championships is the goal, and it is certainly possible to do so at Auburn.  The problem is that the proven coaches at other P5 programs, that our fans always want, already have jobs where they can do just that:  compete for championships.  They have stability, are already being paid multi-million dollar salaries, and are likely to be offered a competitive raise when Auburn comes calling.  That is why Georgia promoted Alabama's defensive coordinator instead of hiring a Jimbo Fisher or Dabo Swinney.

29 minutes ago, WarEagleFromHoover said:

I mean the fact is most Power 5 Schools have to take a shot at a up and coming coordinator or an up and coming group of 5 coach . There’s no promise that he’ll work and no way of knowing if it’ll work until years down the line .

With that being said I’m all for getting rid of Gus , he can’t give us Championships . 

But what do we get in return ? Most coaches will look at Auburn and laugh , though Auburn can pay the big bucks what coach would step into the spotlight of the SEC with a schedule that includes Alabama & Georgia every year .... there are much easier roads to Championships than Auburn 

the only thing we can do is roll the dice and hope we get the next Dabo

Dabo just lost to an unranked Syracuse 

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You're not thinking from a national standpoint, you're thinking from an Auburn standpoint. I spend alot of time discussing ball with non-Auburn fans, you can go just about anywhere and find more people who know Miami and respect the legacy they have as a program. The NFL respects Miami more than Auburn. They arent known as the U for nothing. As far as money, again its Miami. I understand Miami had a tough time after Larry, but whether you want to accept it or not, they have become the talk of the league once more, and if Georgia is to falter, Richt will probably be a shoe-in for COTY (as long as they were to finish the reg season undefeated). They're the hottest you'll find in the game right now. 

The SEC also has no value currently, its terrible. Outside of Alabama and Georgia, every team here is not good. I wouldnt go somewhere for the sole sakes of beating Alabama when you can just meet Alabama in the playoffs, ala OSU or Clemson. The ACC is more challenging, specifically for Miami, with having to break the streak against FSU (as they did), dethroning a top 2 program of the 2010s (Clemson), and playing elite upstarts such as VT and NC State. I cant find a reason why he'd leave what appears to be a top 5 job for Auburn, which is not a top 5 job

I am sorry but you are wrong. WDE

Imagine dominating the state of Florida, a top 3 hotbed, while also getting occasional talent from surrounding states.

Kirby has basically locked down Georgia for the forseeable future and here, you gotta fight for everything you can from the surrounding areas. We dont dominate any of the states, and we realistically cant because of how good they are. But at the same time, its live and die with the Georgia and Alabama areas. We survive recruiting wise and do a pretty fantastic job with it, as we've been doing this for years, but Miami doesnt have to survive. With FSU and UF looking very shaky, Miami just has to keep winning and they'll be right back to owning the state. 

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I have no doubt that they are ultra-competitive.  However, they are also men with families being hired to do a job, and more importantly they are not stupid.  If the challenge was that important, Duke would be able to land and keep a top coach.  Nothing is more challenging than winning a national championship at Duke.

Winning championships is the goal, and it is certainly possible to do so at Auburn.  The problem is that the proven coaches at other P5 programs, that our fans always want, already have jobs where they can do just that:  compete for championships.  They have stability, are already being paid multi-million dollar salaries, and are likely to be offered a competitive raise when Auburn comes calling.  That is why Georgia promoted Alabama's defensive coordinator instead of hiring a Jimbo Fisher or Dabo Swinney.

Then maybe the only option we have is to hire an unproven HC hot shot coordinator (which is a crapshoot that will take 4-5 years to recover from if they don't pan out or bite the bullet that most fans here don't wanna do and hire a stud coach (Kiffen, Petrino etc) that comes with baggage and risk. Either option is better than Gus for me. 

Its so depressing being an AU fan right now 

We are screwed. Ineptness breeds ineptness and that breeds discontent. Any new coach will have to be an up and coming coach who wants to move up to a higher level of competition and is willing to do what ever is necessary to get his name in the same circles as the top level coaches. Unfortunately, this would be a mistake. Unfortunately, this is where we are.

What are your opinions on Scott Frost? I have a good feeling about him and would want to get on him ASAP 

3 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Top coaches obtainable Muschamp, Strong, Fleck, Babers, the guy at Iowa St, Miles smh, Leach he’s where he needs to be, i like em though

I love Leach and I believe he could make his air raid offense work in the SEC too. I just think he has the intangibles of a. very good coach. But not gonna happen 

Archived