next Head Coach

Eagle-1

16 minutes ago, Cooper said:

How much money do you think it would take to move him.  Chip Kelly is a pipe dream, nobody wants Petrino, Tressel is a name kicked around.  So tell me again how PJ Fleck or Chad Morris is going to compete with Saban Im waiting or some other FBS coach thats the next hero.  Right up till they get into the SEC west.  

Money would not move Patterson unless it is insane money. I bet he retires at TCU and they'll pay him top dollar to stay as well. 

I suspect we will be helping a lot of coaches get raises this offseason.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuente has shown he can win at the Power 5 level. Va Tech is a good gig but as far as marginally proven coaches he might be the most persuadable candidate, might cost a pretty penny though

23 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

You know I have been hearing this "who would want to compete with Bama and UGA" thing for a while and I understand the point...but, shouldn't we be looking for the guy who has some balls and WANTS the challenge?? I know coaches value security but they also value money and we can give that regardless of success obviously.  Hell we may still be paying coaches from the 90's.  I want the guy who wants to come after Saban the way Dye did Bear.  "we ain't scared of you no more coach"...where is that guy?  Are all coaches wussies now? 

This , we need a coach with a spirit that is not afraid.

3 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Money would not move Patterson unless it is insane money. I bet he retires at TCU and they'll pay him top dollar to stay as well. 

I suspect we will be helping a lot of coaches get raises this offseason.

Patterson been there 17 years ...has some really good years and some pretty bad seasons.... and nobody talks about firing him.   He's in a good place....patient fans and seems to run a good program.

3 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Fuente has shown he can win at the Power 5 level. Va Tech is a good gig but as far as marginally proven coaches he might be the most persuadable candidate, might cost a pretty penny though

This is what worries me. He already makes 3 mill. To uproot him it would probaly take about 5 million. I want him the most out of the realistic candidates but I will admit it will weird to pay Justin Fuente 5 mill a year out of the gate lol.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Wat? Bags on their head saying Saban come save us? That is absolute bull crap. Bull crap. Alabama hired Rich Rod to take over. Ole Rich Rod backed out at Jimmy Sexton called Mal and said Saban wanted the job. The deal was done. 

Fact. 

Uh no its true remember it like yesterday

hqdefault.jpg

The best coach we might could get not mentioned yet is Les Miles. He has an NC to his credit. Just needs to learn time management.

Just now, AU64 said:

Patterson been there 17 years ...has some really good years and some pretty bad seasons.... and nobody talks about firing him.   He's in a good place....patient fans and seems to run a good program.

Yeah, he has some ups and downs. But the fans (and admin there) know he is a great coach and that he will get the ship righted. 

If if you look at the cycle of his bad years it is due mainly to a rebuilding year, then he coaches them up. Their recruiting has gotten better since joining the B12,  his best class in the previous 5 years was like 20.

21 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Probably takes a lot more than we're will to offer in order to uproot Gary Patterson from the house that he build, and like I said will likely be in the playoffs. Big payday coming from that. That's a pretty cushy position.

PJ Fleck did well at W. Michigan but his Power 5 victories came off of teams struggling to find wins. And lost to a decent Wisconsin in the Cotton bowl.

Idk about Chad Morris. Seems like the only reason his name is out there is because he was a good coordinator and now has head coach experience... Where have I heard that one before?

Exactly.  Thats the question.  Who can compete and how much money and power is Auburn willing to put on the line.  I like Paterson, I like Petrino, Jimbo Fisher type coaches.  This is the pickle Auburn is in.  We want top 5 results out of a coach that simply isnt a top 5 coach.  Its that simple.

11 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

The best coach we might could get not mentioned yet is Les Miles. He has an NC to his credit. Just needs to learn time management.

Wouldn't hate it per say... but he's dropped 4 in a row to Bama. How many straight losses to Auburn did it take Shula to get the can at UAT? Just saying

13 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

We want to get a coach that would improve our offense. Not get worse. The man is even more stubborn than Gustav is.

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

If we are firing a coach, the last thing we need to do with the opportunity is hire a coach that got fired from his last job.  While I have no interest in the SEC's two long-term recently fired head coaches, it would be Mark Richt if I had to pick one.  Ultimately, LSU and Georgia fired them both for reasons similar to our problem with Gus.

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

If we are firing a coach, the last thing we need to do with the opportunity is hire a coach that got fired from his last job.  While I have no interest in the SEC's two long-term recently fired head coaches, it would be Mark Richt if I had to pick one.  Ultimately, LSU and Georgia fired them both for reasons similar to our problem with Gus.

I would love to have Richt.

8 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Wouldn't hate it per say... but he's dropped 4 in a row to Bama. How many straight losses to Auburn did it take Shula to get the can at UAT? Just saying

Well we seem to be all over Gus because of the LSU loss. But I think we have lost 9 in a row in Baton Rouge.

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I would love to have Richt.

you really think richt would win more titles than gus? He had 1 more sec title and one fewer natty appearance than gus in 10 years more time. Georgia is also king of a good recruit state. Guy is lateral move from gus. He'll win more regular season games but no titles. Auburn fan base wants titles.

16 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Baseball and pro football teams hire fired managers and coaches all the time. College football is much less forgiving.

26 minutes ago, hutchids said:

you really think richt would win more titles than gus? He had 1 more sec title and one fewer natty appearance than gus in 10 years more time. Georgia is also king of a good recruit state. Guy is lateral move from gus. He'll win more regular season games but no titles. Auburn fan base wants titles.

True but  I meant IF we fire Gus. Miami had a great recruiting class last year and is undefeated so far this year.

Les Miles and Mark Richt aren't coming to Auburn, and as fans, they aren't the type of coach we should want. Neither is Patterson.

I would look to the B10 (Purdue or Minnesota coaches) or see if Clay Helton would be interested in making a move to the SEC.

We will probably be battling UT (and maybe TAMU) for a new coach, but they may be interested in different candidates. One thing I wish the administration wouldn't do is assume and candidate would not be interested.

7 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Les Miles and Mark Richt aren't coming to Auburn, and as fans, they aren't the type of coach we should want. Neither is Patterson.

I would look to the B10 (Purdue or Minnesota coaches) or see if Clay Helton would be interested in making a move to the SEC.

We will probably be battling UT (and maybe TAMU) for a new coach, but they may be interested in different candidates. One thing I wish the administration wouldn't do is assume and candidate would not be interested.

what do people see in helton? I honestly have no clue. Besides his Auburn connection I see a guy who is barely beating teams he is significantly more talented than. I think people are just looking at box scores and not seeing the USC games. It has not been pretty even though they only have 1 loss.

43 minutes ago, hutchids said:

This.  I like Richt, but he sets the bed like Gus does in big games.  Les can't beat UAT although he'll bring regular 10 win seasons with him.  

Jimbo might be a possibility.  

All this his talk is pointless.  School administration seems happy with mediocrity.  Hopefully Dr. Leath sees what a strong football program has done for UAT and cleans house.  They've been adding programs and growing in every facet with a name recognized worldwide.   It's very sad.   

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

what do people see in helton? I honestly have no clue. Besides his Auburn connection I see a guy who is barely beating teams he is significantly more talented than. I think people are just looking at box scores and not seeing the USC games. It has not been pretty even though they only have 1 loss.

He took over a program with a little disarray and seemingly has them trending in the right direction. That's also a difficult program to run due to the setting (keeping players focused and out of trouble).

I’m not saying that I  necessarily want the mad Hatter as our next coach. I just want a coach that will talk to our players in this manner and not allow them to coast or be complacent. I know he has time management issues but honestly I would much prefer him over Gustavo at this point. Heck anyone. 

23 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Clay Helton isn’t winning big games either with clear cut talent over 90 percent of schools .

Just now, AUTigersfan89 said:

He took over a program with a little disarray and seemingly has them trending in the right direction. That's also a difficult program to run due to the setting (keeping players focused and out of trouble).

Are you saying there are distractions in LA?

d9fe6e517342e780a8e8453ca85f9b7e--cheerleader-skirt-school-cheerleading.jpg

Archived