next Head Coach

Eagle-1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Leach. He is as crazy as...well...me. 

45 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Every head coach was a coordinator at some point. Saban, Mullen, Stoops all were. I agree they can be a hit or miss, but it's hard to argue he hasn't been successfully and well-tenured under big names. I'm not sure what head coach would laterally move to Auburn, not that they wouldn't.

True...but usually there is a route from a lower level school...up the line.    Not that many coordinators make the jump to Power 5 HC in one jump....

Meanwhile, "trees" can be deceptive....most coaches seem to move around ...even laterally....and it is like the "6 degrees of separation" by which you can pretty much link any coach to some other successful (or unsuccessful) coach in the business.

Just saying....it would be nice to see a HC with some experience and success somewhere else before we hire him.

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

shoot higher. If we strike out he can be one of the backup plans.

Generally curious, why don't you like Frost as a tier-1 plan? He's been a successful coordinator (actually, both an OC and a DC at the D1 level. DC at Northern Iowa (FCS), OC at Oregon), and now a successful head coach. 

For those that don't know his background, he was Mariota's OC at Oregon the year he won the Heisman. His offenses at Oregon were incredible. Scoring offense rankings: 2013 - 3rd (45.5 PPG), 2014 - 4th (45.4 PPG), 2015 - 5th (43.0 PPG). Keep in mind that this was all after Chip Kelly left for the NFL, and that after he left, Oregon had a huge drop off: 2016 - 27th (35.4 PPG), 2017 - 22nd (37.9 PPG).

The year before he took over, UCF went 0-12 and were the worst team in CFB. In year 1, UCF improved to 6-7 (4-4), including losses to several P5 teams (Michigan, Maryland, South Carolina). So far in year 2, they are 5-0 with victories over Maryland, Memphis, and Cincinnati. They also have the best scoring offense in the country this year (50.6 PPG). 

FTR, I love Frost. He's young, energetic, and has shown that he can take a bad team and turn them into a good team. He has also shown that he knows how to get the ball in the endzone.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True...but usually there is a route from a lower level school...up the line.    Not that many coordinators make the jump to Power 5 HC in one jump....

Meanwhile, "trees" can be deceptive....most coaches seem to move around ...even laterally....and it is like the "6 degrees of separation" by which you can pretty much link any coach to some other successful (or unsuccessful) coach in the business.

Just saying....it would be nice to see a HC with some experience and success somewhere else before we hire him.

It would be nice, but its just a question of who would be interested and who would not. Venables would be in my 1B, with my 1A being a big name like Stoops. This is completely my opinion, but I think Venables is going to be great. He knows how to recruit, he knows defense, he's been around great offenses and knows whats required to run one, who to hire, etc. He's a humble, ethical guy. He's been successful everywhere he's been. He'll be able to hire excellent assistants. He's a big name. He's a family guy - he'd fit in the Auburn culture. He's passionate. He stands for the right things...I'm repeating myself. Clearly, I really like Venables. 

3 minutes ago, JoeyTiger said:

1st post!!!

Josh McDaniels  (Patriots offensive coordinator)

They always win no matter who is the QB.

His name popped into my head the other day, but he seems to be perfectly happy in the coordinator role, and he wasn't impressive while in Denver - although he kind of hitched his wagon to Tebow. 

Also, welcome!

Something everyone needs to consider is that there may be a ton of SEC coaching vacancies come December.  Barry Odom and Butch Jones are likely going to  be fired and Ole Miss is currently  vacant.  hat is Three schools although only one could compete with us for a coach and that is UT.  Sumlin could still be fired as well as Bielema.  That is two other programs that we would have to compete with for a coach.  Lastly, I  was listening to a podcast, there are currently three SEC head coaches that are looking to leave the SEC because it is too competitive/hard to win.  Although the three were not named it was suggested that Sumlin, Mason, Bielema, Jones, and McElwayne were one of those three.  So realistically there are going to be six SEC schools looking for coaches in December: Auburn, Arkansas, aTm, Missouri, Ole Miss, and UT.  Who do we get?  When?  Three of those schools can pull a lot of money together?

Gus Malzahn. We're burdened with an eternal ball and chain of mediocre performances for the duration of Saban's tenure. It's a political game that goes all the way up to the NCAA.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Actually, a lot of coordinators make the jump.  Kirby to UGA, Richt was a coordinator at FSU before becoming HC at UGA, Derek Mason at Vandy, Dabo Swinney wasn't even a coordinator at Clemson when he got the job.

I agree that the whole tree thing is way overblown.

53 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Something everyone needs to consider is that there may be a ton of SEC coaching vacancies come December.  Barry Odom and Butch Jones are likely going to  be fired and Ole Miss is currently  vacant.  hat is Three schools although only one could compete with us for a coach and that is UT.  Sumlin could still be fired as well as Bielema.  That is two other programs that we would have to compete with for a coach.  Lastly, I  was listening to a podcast, there are currently three SEC head coaches that are looking to leave the SEC because it is too competitive/hard to win.  Although the three were not named it was suggested that Sumlin, Mason, Bielema, Jones, and McElwayne were one of those three.  So realistically there are going to be six SEC schools looking for coaches in December: Auburn, Arkansas, aTm, Missouri, Ole Miss, and UT.  Who do we get?  When?  Three of those schools can pull a lot of money together?

The only one that would present an immediate problem for us would be Texas A&M.  They have as close to unlimited revenue as it gets. Their revenue alone is 50% greater than bama's.

I do agree that the number of programs overall looking for a coach will be a problem.  With everyone able to pay millions, established coaches aren't as likely to leave as they once were.

34 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Actually, a lot of coordinators make the jump.  Kirby to UGA, Richt was a coordinator at FSU before becoming HC at UGA, Derek Mason at Vandy, Dabo Swinney wasn't even a coordinator at Clemson when he got the job.

I agree that the whole tree thing is way overblown.

Good points but I can match you with a failure for every success...sometimes you just have to be lucky...or perceptive...? it is probably about 50 : 50.

3 hours ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Generally curious, why don't you like Frost as a tier-1 plan? He's been a successful coordinator (actually, both an OC and a DC at the D1 level. DC at Northern Iowa (FCS), OC at Oregon), and now a successful head coach. 

For those that don't know his background, he was Mariota's OC at Oregon the year he won the Heisman. His offenses at Oregon were incredible. Scoring offense rankings: 2013 - 3rd (45.5 PPG), 2014 - 4th (45.4 PPG), 2015 - 5th (43.0 PPG). Keep in mind that this was all after Chip Kelly left for the NFL, and that after he left, Oregon had a huge drop off: 2016 - 27th (35.4 PPG), 2017 - 22nd (37.9 PPG).

The year before he took over, UCF went 0-12 and were the worst team in CFB. In year 1, UCF improved to 6-7 (4-4), including losses to several P5 teams (Michigan, Maryland, South Carolina). So far in year 2, they are 5-0 with victories over Maryland, Memphis, and Cincinnati. They also have the best scoring offense in the country this year (50.6 PPG). 

FTR, I love Frost. He's young, energetic, and has shown that he can take a bad team and turn them into a good team. He has also shown that he knows how to get the ball in the endzone.

He is only in year 2 as a Head Coach. I am tired of hiring guys who still have their training wheels on. Auburn should not be about on the job training. Plus Gus has me SHOOK about hiring mid major coaches. He may be good he may not. Nebraska is about to find out.

We can't limit choices by saying we have to hire only a elite coach from a power 5 team.  It almost never happens at any school.  There are probably a hundred coaches out there that would have used our talent better in the LSU game than what the current staff did and I feel I am being generous.  We need a competent coach that works hard. Our location and commitment ($) will speak for itself.

I want to see Auburn stop the nepotism, and give a new coach full power over staff and program.

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

His name popped into my head the other day, but he seems to be perfectly happy in the coordinator role, and he wasn't impressive while in Denver - although he kind of hitched his wagon to Tebow. 

Also, welcome!

I buy in to the myth of SOME EX NFL coaches coming to college and doing well.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I buy in to the myth of SOME EX NFL coaches coming to college and doing well.

G-Willy - my man. Big thing is recruiting. You've got to know how to recruit. 

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

G-Willy - my man. Big thing is recruiting. You've got to know how to recruit. 

That is what assistant coaches are for. McDaniels is a very interesting out of the box thinking hire. Auburn would never hire him in a million years because he does not fit the typical prototype of what they are looking for but I think he would be a really good head coach in college NOT the NFL. 

That is what assistant coaches are for. McDaniels is a very interesting out of the box thinking hire. Auburn would never hire him in a million years because he does not fit the typical prototype of what they are looking for but I think he would be a really good head coach in college NOT the NFL. 

He might be. I just don't have a feel one way or the other. He's a total mystery to me. 

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He is only in year 2 as a Head Coach. I am tired of hiring guys who still have their training wheels on. Auburn should not be about on the job training. Plus Gus has me SHOOK about hiring mid major coaches. He may be good he may not. Nebraska is about to find out.

That's fair, but I personally think passing on Frost would be a huge mistake. To me, he's exactly what Auburn needs (and what we thought we were getting with Gus): Energetic guy with an explosive offensive approach who players love. 

Some added stats

• Arky State under Gus in 2012 was 26th in Scoring Offense (34.9 PPG), 43rd in Scoring Defense (24.5 PPG). 
  • UCF under Frost in 2016 was 66th in Scoring Offense (28.8 PPG), 41st in Scoring Defense (24.6 PPG).
  • UCF under Frost in 2017 is 1st in Scoring Offense (50.6 PPG), 14th in Scoring Defense (16.8 PPG). 

I get that Frost doesn't have a ton of experience as a head coach, but his resume doesn't lie- the guy just fricking wins. It's very telling to me that he went from Co-DC/LB coach at FCS Northern Iowa to WR coach at Oregon. Chip Kelly obviously saw something in him that he liked.

Pros And Cons:

• Pros:
    • Turned UCF from 0-12 to top 15 in Scoring Offense and Scoring Defense in 2 years
    • Protoge of Chip Kelly.
    • Played under Tom Osborne, Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, and Jon Gruden.
    • Has experience as an OC and a DC at the D1 level, and was successful at both
    • Young and brings lots of energy to the program
    • Former Broyles award winner (and has coached a Heisman winner)
    • Former national championship winning Quarterback and NFL Safety
  • Cons
    • Only has 2 years of HC experience.

Frost reminds me a lot of Tom Herman in the coaching realm, so much in fact that they are the same age. He has a TREMENDOUS upside, and IMO he will create a powerhouse wherever he goes. I want that to be Auburn.

Just now, Barnacle said:

He might be. I just don't have a feel one way or the other. He's a total mystery to me. 

Well I rather have him than you know the random mid major coach AU is about to hire! lol. I have little faith in us actually hiring even a guy who would be considered a double.

1 minute ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

That's fair, but I personally think passing on Frost would be a huge mistake. To me, he's exactly what Auburn needs (and what we thought we were getting with Gus): Energetic guy with an explosive offensive approach who players love. 

Some added stats

• Arky State under Gus in 2012 was 26th in Scoring Offense (34.9 PPG), 43rd in Scoring Defense (24.5 PPG). 
  • UCF under Frost in 2016 was 66th in Scoring Offense (28.8 PPG), 41st in Scoring Defense (24.6 PPG).
  • UCF under Frost in 2017 is 1st in Scoring Offense (50.6 PPG), 14th in Scoring Defense (16.8 PPG). 

I get that Frost doesn't have a ton of experience as a head coach, but his resume doesn't lie- the guy just fricking wins. It's very telling to me that he went from Co-DC/LB coach at FCS Northern Iowa to WR coach at Oregon. Chip Kelly obviously saw something in him that he liked.

Pros And Cons:

• Pros:
    • Turned UCF from 0-12 to top 15 in Scoring Offense and Scoring Defense in 2 years
    • Protoge of Chip Kelly.
    • Played under Tom Osborne, Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, and Jon Gruden.
    • Has experience as an OC and a DC at the D1 level, and was successful at both
    • Young and brings lots of energy to the program
    • Former Broyles award winner (and has coached a Heisman winner)
    • Former national championship winning Quarterback and NFL Safety
  • Cons
    • Only has 2 years of HC experience.

Frost reminds me a lot of Tom Herman in the coaching realm, so much in fact that they are the same age. He has a TREMENDOUS upside, and IMO he will create a powerhouse wherever he goes. I want that to be Auburn.

He certainly would have a better shot of building a powerhouse here than nebraska. Nebraska will never be what it once was because the recruiting base is no good. 

Well I rather have him than you know the random mid major coach AU is about to hire! lol. I have little faith in us actually hiring even a guy who would be considered a double.

You might be right. Like I said, I just don't have a feel for the guy. I get the sense that he's perfect in the supporting role he's in, but I have a hard time imagining him as the lead man. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

You might be right. Like I said, I just don't have a feel for the guy. I get the sense that he's perfect in the supporting role he's in, but I have a hard time imagining him as the lead man. 

He is a a$$hole . That is 1 step in the right direction! lol. Tired of these nice guys. DADGUMMIT!!! DOGGONNIT!!! CRAP! GIVE US SOME GOOD OL RED BOODED AMERICAN CUSSSSSSSIN!!! lol No cuss gus has to go!! When I watch Auburn Football everyday each week I cringe anytime gus says dangit or crap! You know the players roll their eyes.

He is a a$$hole . That is 1 step in the right direction! lol. Tired of these nice guys. DADGUMMIT!!! DOGGONNIT!!! CRAP! GIVE US SOME GOOD OL RED BOODED AMERICAN CUSSSSSSSIN!!! lol No cuss gus has to go!! When I watch Auburn Football everyday each week I cringe anytime gus says dangit or crap! You know the players roll their eyes.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/1/21/14334432/nfl-exec-explains-what-a-team-has-to-offer-josh-mcdaniels-to-pry-him-from-the-patriots

This article suggests that he wouldn't consider a college job. 

Archived