next Head Coach

Eagle-1

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Isn't he an alum?

Yes my post was not about if he would come or not ( I do not think he would because of that reason) but if miami has more history than Auburn.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pardon me,,,ever spent any time in miami,,. south beach? you think Miami's recruiting and dynamics are coming to an end? (wth,,, aren't they ranked #11 and beat Ga tech today?? or ranked higher now!)  Excuse me didn't richt just have a # 4 recruiting class after returning to his alma mater? He's got them playing pretty darn well the past couple years w/ mediocre expectations which he's exceeding and,,,, Your thinking he would jump ship into the frying pan of the sec west he knows all too well! 

Bartender,,, please pass me a glass of what he's having! It's darn sure gotta be more effective than the "kool aid" i've been served! (lol) 

At this point I think for current head coaches Justin Fuente from Va Tech would be a good option. Another one that I’d like but would be quite a stretch is Mike Gundy. I still believe an assistant like Venables from Clemson would be a solid option too. Has good pedigree great defensive coordinator and great recruiter. I know it sounds like the defensive version of Gustavo but consider he’s coached for 24 years under Bill Snyder, Bob Stoops, and Dabo which is much better than coaching for 4 years under Houston Nutt and Chizik. 

30 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

At this point I think for current head coaches Justin Fuente from Va Tech would be a good option. Another one that I’d like but would be quite a stretch is Mike Gundy. I still believe an assistant like Venables from Clemson would be a solid option too. Has good pedigree great defensive coordinator and great recruiter. I know it sounds like the defensive version of Gustavo but consider he’s coached for 24 years under Bill Snyder, Bob Stoops, and Dabo which is much better than coaching for 4 years under Houston Nutt and Chizik. 

latest?cb=20170906204122

HUG ME BROTHA!!!! I was about to say fuente. If you can win at memphis and win big you can literally win anywhere. He is a QB guru. Lost his QB from last year at va tech after he stupidly declared for the draft and did not get drafted but still sits at 5-1 this season so far. QB guru. I AM TIRED OF THESE RUN FIRST COACHES!!! for the love of a sophisticated passing attack can we please get someone that is a TRUE qb guru and knows what the frack a intermediate passing game is! We have the worst history ever for WR's in the sec conference. I would love for that to change. I want AU football to be fun again. Running the ball up the middle 17 straight times EVEN WHEN YOU ARE WINNING games is not fun. Now do not get me wrong I am not short sighted enough to think we do not need to be balanced. O no maam. I just would love for once in my lifetime for the pass/run balance to favor the pass.

The best option is Chris Peterson at Washington.  The man is a winner and wins everywhere he goes.  He also doesn’t like that his games are on so late at Washington. Chris Peterson could get this Auburn team a national title and actually go toe to toe with Saban.  

4 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

The best option is Chris Peterson at Washington.  The man is a winner and wins everywhere he goes.  He also doesn’t like that his games are on so late at Washington. Chris Peterson could get this Auburn team a national title and actually go toe to toe with Saban.  

In the past he has had family reasons to stay out west....turned down a dozen jobs over the years.  Plus he's a west coast guy at a good school.  What's the appeal at AU?

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

In the past he has had family reasons to stay out west....turned down a dozen jobs over the years.  Plus he's a west coast guy at a good school.  What's the appeal at AU?

Well if you read my post I gave you the biggest one.  He’s been in the news complaining a lot that no one sees Washington play.  Come to Auburn and that changes.  And, if he actually cares about challenging himself professionally and wants to beat the best teams in the country that’s done in the SEC not the PAC 12. 

1 minute ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Well if you read my post I gave you the biggest one.  He’s been in the news complaining a lot that no one sees Washington play.  Come to Auburn and that changes.  And, if he actually cares about challenging himself professionally and wants to beat the best teams in the country that’s done in the SEC not the PAC 12. 

Not really....have you looked at the SEC lately...other than you know who, the conference is a shadow of what it used to be...and some dull football too.  

As for the TV thing....he's griping at his conference officials about letting ESPN dictate their schedules....not wanting to move to the east.     And good thing for him is that few people saw UDub go down last night in that late game.

Not saying don't give him a try but you better have a plan B...and C....and D

Just now, AU64 said:

Not really....have you looked at the SEC lately...other than you know who, the conference is a shadow of what it used to be...and some dull football too.  

As for the TV thing....he's griping at his conference officials about letting ESPN dictate their schedules....not wanting to move to the east.     And good thing for him is that few people saw UDub go down last night in that late game.

Not saying don't give him a try but you better have a plan B...and C....and D

It’s been down for a year.  To think it won’t come back is idiotic.  Football is cyclical.  There still remain better coaches in the SEC than the PAC 12.  

You tell me a better coach to go up against than Saban?  You won’t find anything like that in the PAC 12.   

No he’s upset bc recruits, pollsters, etc can’t see his games.  Those were the words out of his mouth.  He coaches at Auburn that’s all gone. 

20 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

It’s been down for a year.  To think it won’t come back is idiotic.  Football is cyclical.  There still remain better coaches in the SEC than the PAC 12.  

You tell me a better coach to go up against than Saban?  You won’t find anything like that in the PAC 12.   

No he’s upset bc recruits, pollsters, etc can’t see his games.  Those were the words out of his mouth.  He coaches at Auburn that’s all gone. 

There are maybe 2 or 3 good coaches in the SEC and half of the SEC coaches will be out of their jobs within another couple years if not before.  SEC has been down more that just one year and it's in a nose dive if you look at what's going on. 

And what's the deal about going up against Saban? ...other than AU people, the outside world does not revere the guy and nobody with a good career is gonna take a chance of throwing that away in a conference where SEC and NCAA officials do all they can to promote and protect their crown jewel. 

If he wants to come east and make his name....try the ACC....which has better coaching than the SEC now and more opportunity to knock off the top teams.  UNC will likely need a coach soon...that's a place to start. .

But....good luck....maybe you can get on the recruitment committee...you are certain of your arguments it seems and can give it a try out there.

50 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

That dude ain't going to come live in Alabama.  He would fit in here like oil with water.  He hasn't lived east of the rockies ever in his professional life.  He is in Seattle now, which is about the fartherest thing from Alabama one can imagine.  He and his dad were life long Washington fans, thus he is where he wants to be. 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

There are maybe 2 or 3 good coaches in the SEC and half of the SEC coaches will be out of their jobs within another couple years if not before.  SEC has been down more that just one year and it's in a nose dive if you look at what's going on. 

And what's the deal about going up against Saban? ...other than AU people, the outside world does not revere the guy and nobody with a good career is gonna take a chance of throwing that away in a conference where SEC and NCAA officials do all they can to promote and protect their crown jewel. 

If he wants to come east and make his name....try the ACC....which has better coaching than the SEC now and more opportunity to knock off the top teams.  UNC will likely need a coach soon...that's a place to start. .

But....good luck....maybe you can get on the recruitment committee...you are certain of your arguments it seems and can give it a try out there.

2 or 3 good coaches.  Ok.  Saban, Kirby Smart, Dan Mullen are all very good coaches.  Mullen’s problem remains the location of Miss State and getting the right talent.  And you’re proving my point.  It’s a cut throat conference unlike the PAC 12 where you can keep losing and keep your job.  

No, it’s not been on a nose dive.  It’s been a year at the most.  And with UGA improving theres finally a team that it looks like can challenge Bama.  

I have no clue what you’re talking about with Saban.  Yeah most people in college football don’t seem to think Saban is a great coach.  Ok, pal. 

Better coaching the ACC?  Maybe.  Then again Fisher and Dabo have proved they are human with losses this season.  

I’ve made better ones than you have.  Your argument that no one outside of the east thinks Saban is an amazing coach is ludicrous.  

7 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

That dude ain't going to come live in Alabama.  He would fit in here like oil with water.  He hasn't lived east of the rockies ever in his professional life.  He is in Seattle now, which is about the fartherest thing from Alabama one can imagine.  He and his dad were life long Washington fans, thus he is where he wants to be. 

Glad to know you know Chris Peterson so well.  Tell him hi for me when you get a chance.  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Jay Jacobs.

12 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Dino Babers

Yes. And you have very realistic chance at getting him. You could also still get Justin Fuentes. 

AU is not a real appealing job right now, in my opinion. Yes we have tradition, great fans, fertile recruiting, and recent championships. But a lot of schools have that. We also have a never ending supply of drama in our athletic department and a legacy of meddling boosters, PTB, etc...  We have no recent track record of sustaining success for any extended period of time. Throw in an inept AD and having to keep pace with Saban and few coaches would be willing to take that on. Guys like Chris Petersen, David Shaw, Mike Gundy, and many others in his thread are used to working in very stable environments built for sustained success. AU doesn't offer that right now. I hate to say all of this, but I believe it to be true. 

11 hours ago, WarTiger1 said:

I see you points but I think Mark has something to prove in the SEC.  

And Miami is not respected more than AU are you kidding me?  This is Auburn!!!!!!!!! AU pockets run deep bro.

Miami is also where he went to school. 

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

AU is not a real appealing job right now, in my opinion. Yes we have tradition, great fans, fertile recruiting, and recent championships. But a lot of schools have that. We also have a never ending supply of drama in our athletic department and a legacy of meddling boosters, PTB, etc...  We have no recent track record of sustaining success for any extended period of time. Throw in an inept AD and having to keep pace with Saban and few coaches would be willing to take that on. Guys like Chris Petersen, David Shaw, Mike Gundy, and many others in his thread are used to working in very stable environments built for sustained success. AU doesn't offer that right now. I hate to say all of this, but I believe it to be true. 

It is true.  Unfortunately it is very true.  There would have to be a complete change in how things are done at AU to attract one of these guys.  

I don't know that there's a slam dunk out there, but there are some good candidates:

Chris Peterson
Scott Frost
Jeff Brohm
Justin Fuentes
P.J. Fleck

There are some more experienced guys who could probably do great things with Auburn's typical talent level:

Jimbo Fisher
Petrino
Gary Patterson

And you might not like him, but I think Jeremy Pruitt at Alabama is going to turn some school into a menace one day.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

And you might not like him, but I think Jeremy Pruitt at Alabama is going to turn some school into a menace one day.

He’s just as big of a POS as Petrino but I’d take either one for selfish reasons alone.

Make say no:

Richt

Bob Stoops

James Franklin

David Shaw

Peterson

Realistic shot:

PJ Fleck

Bobo

Venerables (sp)

Fuente

in the end, anyone who doesn't run the ball up the middle 17 times in a row. That's just ludicrous  

Just saying,I knighted for Derek Mason last year. I still think he’s good enough of a coach to steal from Vanderbilt. His team is highly limited in talent, depth, and experience, so look deeper into his achievements this year. He could obviously recruit better but even at his best, his recruiting success will always be limited in Nashville.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He’s just as big of a POS as Petrino but I’d take either one for selfish reasons alone.

I believe I've read in the past that Pruitt basically hates Auburn. Don't know if it's true or not. I don't live anywhere near Alabama. Has anyone around that area heard the same?

Archived