next Head Coach

Eagle-1

Brandon Streeter or Brent Ventibles of Clemson! Prefer Streeter as he recruits & develops QB talent and Auburn retain Steele as Defensive Coordinator!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, api1957 said:

Richt is a possibility IF Tubs is AD.

We want the guy that would hold us hostage for a raise every year as our AD? This would be more GARBAGE than what we are getting! He quit on Texas Tech and mailed it in in Cincy. I respect what he did here as a coach, but he was just as much of the problem as was our BOT and AD when he was here. I'm glad the at he is gone and don't want him back in any capacity at Auburn. He will be out for the only thing that he has ever been for and that's himself! Most everything that people complain about with Gus is exactly what Tubs was. He was dedicated to his BBQ gang and not Auburn University. Although he would upset some teams that we didn't seem to have a chance against, he would embarrass us with losses to teams that had no business being in the game with us. HELL NO to Tubs back in our Athletic Dept..

Bill Clark at UAB might be worth an interview. Solid record at JSU and has been impressive at UAB considering what he has had to work with so far.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Eschew the mistress scandal, Petrino showed he could be a good HC at Arkansas. 

He had two good years there and two not so good. His four year record there was almost identical to Gus's with us. He was 35-17 and 17-15 in the SEC. Most notably, Petrino at Arky was 0-4 vs Bama, 2-2 vs LSU, and 0-1 vs UGA. 

7 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

We want the guy that would hold us hostage for a raise every year as our AD? This would be more GARBAGE than what we are getting! He quit on Texas Tech and mailed it in in Cincy. I respect what he did here as a coach, but he was just as much of the problem as was our BOT and AD when he was here. I'm glad the at he is gone and don't want him back in any capacity at Auburn. He will be out for the only thing that he has ever been for and that's himself! Most everything that people complain about with Gus is exactly what Tubs was. He was dedicated to his BBQ gang and not Auburn University. Although he would upset some teams that we didn't seem to have a chance against, he would embarrass us with losses to teams that had no business being in the game with us. HELL NO to Tubs back in our Athletic Dept..

Yes.  Whenever I read a post suggesting Tuberville as Auburn's Athletic Director, I have a difficult time taking them seriously.

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

He had two good years there and two not so good. His four year record there was almost identical to Gus's with us. He was 35-17 and 17-15 in the SEC. Most notably, Petrino at Arky was 0-4 vs Bama, 2-2 vs LSU, and 0-1 vs UGA. 

He didn’t exactly have the best talent there though. His defenses were the problems. Wouldn’t be a problem if he retained Steele.

3 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

INTERESTING

What exactly has he done except for the one obvious win ‘gainst Clemson.

18 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

What exactly has he done except for the one obvious win ‘gainst Clemson.

To be frank, That's more than Gus has done. 

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

To be frank, That's more than Gus has done. 

Are you being serious? What year did Dino coach his team to a conference title or a BCS championship appearance?

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Are you being serious? What year did Dino coach his team to a conference title or a BCS championship appearance?

I'm referring to beating Clemson. Its sarcasm.

Just now, Randman5000 said:

I'm referring to beating Clemson. Its sarcasm.

Clemson knew they had a fight on their hands when they prepared for and played Auburn. They overlooked Syracuse, that’s a key difference. Clear advantage for Dino.

When I see “to be frank,” I see nothing indicating possible sarcasm, also.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Clemson knew they had a fight on their hands when they prepared for and played Auburn. They overlooked Syracuse, that’s a key difference. Clear advantage for Dino.

When I see “to be frank,” I see nothing indicating possible sarcasm, also.

Fixed.

I think the jury is still out on Dino. He had a major rebuild at Syracuse, but they have improved in his first power 5 gig. He did extremely well at Bowling Green before that. I like how he interacts with the players. While he doesn't need to be a first choice, I would not object to him being hired. 

The coach I'd want is Gary Patterson. I know he won't leave TCU and probably will stay there until he retires. If they were still in the Mountain West Conference or CUSA, we'd have a shot but since they are in the B12 he ain't going anywhere. Also his success is the main reason they were able to get back into a major conference.

59 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Easy now, I didn't say I want Tubs. Just that he would go hard after Richt IF AD.

Just now, api1957 said:

Easy now, I didn't say I want Tubs. Just that he would go hard after Richt IF AD.

It wasn't directed at you, but at the Tubs idea. I see it suggested often and it's one of the worst ideas being floated from my perspective. Most seem to have a short memory of the hand ringing that went on during his "duck hunting" trips followed by increases in his contract and the fact that he wouldn't make staff adjustments.  

36 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

What about Eli Drinkwitz? Good offensive coach and he reminds you of Gus the football nerd.

The coaches we have already make us drink too much.....we really don't need one with Drink in his last name to make it worse.........;D:cheers:

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

If Tubs is AD, wouldn’t that mean a lot has changed with regard to the PTB?  Not saying Tubs should be the AD, just that it would signal a philosophic change.  Looks like Leath is about to earn his money.  I would bet he didn’t see this coming when he took the job.

I didn’t understand people’s issues earlier when I mentioned Tubs as an AD. Seems like a cutting-edge personality that isn’t gonna meander with the sports programs the way the current Board + puppets does.  I’d love to see them so desperate they have to hire real people to do real jobs 

2 hours ago, eagle12 said:

Muschamp all day !! If anybody remembers the last head coach hire came down to Gus or Kirby ! Well  which one would you hire now? Now Muschamp is a similar style and would turn things around .

Man it sounds wrong, but the period where we were looking for a head coach has been one of the more interesting times in my Sports watching life. Every day a new rumor shot out, then you had a lot of people supporting the BOT as they essentially refused to give Kirby autonomy, and you had the makeshift alumni group that spent days trying to find a suitable candidate, and finally, the poll they sent to residential auburn fans of who you would prefer. That time span had everything you could possibly want from an entertainment perspective 

4 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I assume at this point JJ and Gus are tied at the hip.  One won’t get fired without the other.

crazy idea ... dump gus and JJ now.  Hire tubbs as interim head coach.  Yes, I’m serious.  Let him come in and settle everything down.  He was always a ceo head coach and his style was to let the player leadership run the team.  Think about the leadership tubbs had - heath was one of them.

this gives auburn a couple months to hire a good AD (not tubbs) who can then hire a REAL head coach.

btw ... IMO you cannot have a consistent championship program with a “nice guy” head coach.  So if you want auburn to consistently win championships then scratch the “nice guys” from your list.   No richt, no peterson etc.

start thinking franklin, Petrino etc.

we need a pissed off winner if we want to win yearly.

Maybe not....what I read is JJ and Gus barely talk to each other....though from a career standpoint you might be right that their futures are intertwined.

Otherwise, heard an interesting discussion today on AU and Gus......the take away was that Mullins would be a realistic candidate for the AU job....a step up in facilities, etc and recruiting the same areas and familiarity with the conference and what it takes to win.   The thought was that he would take the job if offered.

Frost was the other name being bandied around though it seems that Nebraska might be his destination before too much longer.

Last point is that AU was rated  one of the best coming open jobs anywhere.....apparently these guys have discounted the Saban factor .....and AU would have a great roster for any new coach to work with.

FWIW

Archived