Eagle-1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Brent Vennables

Jim tressel

Dan Wilson

Pat Narduzzi

Paul Chryst

Chad Morris

Interesting indeed. Tressel is a little older but did a great job with OSU. Chryst and Morris also are intriguing. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

There's a reason our last few coaching hires have been unproven Terry Bowden from Samford, average Ole Miss coach Tubs, ridiculously under qualified Iowa State coach Chizik and unproven at the highest level Arky State coach Gus.  NO PROVEN COACH WILL COME HERE BECAUSE OF THE POLITICS INVOLVED AND THE PEOPLE WITH THEIR HANDS IN EVERYTHING.  Its not just the SEC.  

Jimbo Fisher was delivered ready to take job by one of those so called “people with hands in everything”. Jacobs said no and hired Gus

9 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Interesting indeed. Tressel is a little older but did a great job with OSU. Chryst and Morris also are intriguing. 

I really like Chryst. In 3 years at Wisky he is 27-6 (10-3,11-3,6-0)

are there really any homerun choices right now? How many jobs in the SEC will open up, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Florida, Vandy,

who knows.

38 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I really like Chryst. In 3 years at Wisky he is 27-6 (10-3,11-3,6-0)

I fear Chryst would be another Bielima. Was listening to a beat writer who explained the built-in advantages of recruiting in Wisconsin vs Arkansas and concluded that Arkansas has more competition between the big 12 and sec pipelines. Say what you want about Auburn being a better sale but we have as much if not more competition within our recruiting pool. Do you think Chryst is a better recruiter and/or coach than Bielima given the body of work?

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I fear Chryst would be another Bielima. Was listening to a beat writer who explained the built-in advantages of recruiting in Wisconsin vs Arkansas and concluded that Arkansas has more competition between the big 12 and sec pipelines. Say what you want about Auburn being a better sale but we have as much if not more competition within our recruiting pool. Do you think Chryst is a better recruiter and/or coach than Bielima given the body of work?

You can build a staff with recruiters.  His program and schemes are what impressed me.

Here's a question for you guys.

Should we make a transition to pro-style offense as compared to the offense we run with a new coach? I know when our offense is clicking, it's fun to watch us score tons of points, but is it really worth it in the end if we could not even pick up a first down and giving the ball back less than a minute? Seems like teams who run pro-style allow themselves to have a full catalog of players available like fullbacks and tight ends and control the time of possession. 

Vennables would be an interesting choice. Seems like an intense guy who could bring some fire to a program that desperately needs it. Also might be willing to keep some portion of AU's defensive staff  intact since most of Clemson's staff would probably stay put. Offensively, seems certain he would want something along the lines of what Dabo is doing successfully. Will need a whole new staff on that side of the ball.
AU has shown as a program an ability to bounce back quickly from pretty bleak seasons followed by a coaching change.. No reason it can't do so again with the right guy at the helm.

I'd like us to go after an FCS or Division 2 head coach who is a consistent winner. Coaching is coaching. Coaches like Chris Klieman at North Dakota State or Mike Huston at James Madison

11 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

If he is looking to coach and would take the job, Jim Tressel.   Proven winner

How old is Tressel?

wde

5 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

It wasn't directed at you, but at the Tubs idea. I see it suggested often and it's one of the worst ideas being floated from my perspective. Most seem to have a short memory of the hand ringing that went on during his "duck hunting" trips followed by increases in his contract and the fact that he wouldn't make staff adjustments.  

Let be fair here. Jimmy owned Jay, hence the contract extensions and pay raises. Espically after "Jetgate".  It was child's play. 

My personal opinion for now, Make garner interim, he chews out anyone that doesn’t perform, let CL and KS coach. I personally think we could salvage the season with this if we did it now but I’m sure we’ll let us stumble to a 7-5, 6-6 season 

5 minutes ago, CountStandya said:

Why not Pete Caroll? I know most are saying yeah right... he is one of the few coaches that could scare Saban...I say at least offer.

We'd look like fools. Carroll wouldn't even consider it. He's not going back to the college game. Might as well offer Nick Saban if that's the route we're going to take. 

2 hours ago, Tigerpaul53 said:

Jimbo Fisher was delivered ready to take job by one of those so called “people with hands in everything”. Jacobs said no and hired Gus

This isn't entirely true. AU could have offered the bank at Jimbo and got him. But Jimbo didn't want to get into the cluster that was the AU AD. He wanted too much money and control. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

We'd look like fools. Carroll wouldn't even consider it. He's not going back to the college game. Might as well offer Nick Saban if that's the route we're going to take. 

The old don't ask the good looking girl out because she will say no....well I'm not scared...ask anyway...you want the best...? I do..don't care if it is thought to be a waste of time.

2 minutes ago, CountStandya said:

The old don't ask the good looking girl out because she will say no....well I'm not scared...ask anyway...you want the best...? I do..don't care if it is thought to be a waste of time.

Not exactly applicable, and that's not how offers are made in these situations. Offers are made after interest is confirmed, not before. If we're throwing out offers to whomever, then it means that our new AD might as well be Lloyd Christmas. 

If we want to reach out to Carroll, that's different. I don't have a problem with that, even though I do think it would be a waste of time. 

1 minute ago, CountStandya said:

I'm glad you know Pete Caroll...tell him I said hi

Pete Carroll? Come on. Bob Stoops? Yea, give him a call. But Pete? Pete isn't coming to coach anywhere in Alabama. He's a big city guy. 

18 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Let be fair here. Jimmy owned Jay, hence the contract extensions and pay raises. Espically after "Jetgate".  It was child's play. 

Jimmy held the gun and Tubs drove the car...I get it. When it first went down, I was completely on Tubs side. Since watching him in action after leaving Auburn, my opinion of him is no longer the same. I wish him well in retirement and don't want him back at Auburn.

Archived