next Head Coach

Eagle-1

My first call as AD would be to Justin Wilcox at Cal. That dude has turned the most laughable joke of a defense into a disciplined, accountable team of football players. Cal has for a lonnnng time been a football purgatory as far as toughness and fundamentals go, and Wilcox has restored that in one season. They don't have the talent to compete for championships there, but Auburn does here.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

My first call as AD would be to Justin Wilcox at Cal. That dude has turned the most laughable joke of a defense into a disciplined, accountable team of football players. Cal has for a lonnnng time been a football purgatory as far as toughness and fundamentals go, and Wilcox has restored that in one season. They don't have the talent to compete for championships there, but Auburn does here.

Please no. Dude was a bad DC and got fired from a few places as DC. This is a mirage. I do not believe in that guy at all. 

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't want a SEC retread. 

Agreed. Justin Wilcox fielded some of the worst defenses this conference has ever seen at Rocky Top.

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

http://ucfknights.com/coaches.aspx?rc=919&path=football

The more I read about Scott Frost, the more I like him. Nebraska will be looking for a new coach, too, though and if Mama calls, I'm afraid he'll answer.

He has been a OC and a DC at the college level. I dig that.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:22 PM, sevenlee36 said:

What about Pruitt?

we hadn’t beat em. And he is putting a better d on the field than Kirby. He is little on the hick side

He seems to have an irrational hatred of Auburn. 

I’m not so sure my buddies here in Tallahassee would put up much of a fight if we took Jimbo.  They’d pay us Gus’ buy-out to take Trickett.

I've thought a lot about this topic so forgive me for the depth in the post. 

First calls should be to Gary Patterson and Bob Stoops. That's 1A/1B. However Stoops seems to be very firm in his commitment to retirement right now and GP is unlikely to leave TCU as he has taken them so far and is still going up. I put the chances of either of these guys at <3%. Still though, I'd like to know that we at least gauged interest. 

Barring one of those two, I don't think an NFL guy coming down is going to work for us. There's not a good candidate who looks like they'll be displaced at that level who would come down to the college ranks and we could be assured of some kind of success. So no Saban 2.0 is likely. Chip Kelly somewhat falls into this category but evidently word is that he's NFL or bust at this point as he hates boosters and recruiting. Who knows, maybe that's all blustery and if the right job comes along he'd be in. He's an interesting thought. He always had a problem with his defenses though. 

The real answer here is Art Briles, but he's completely radioactive to any school. Frankly, most of us on this board would probably stop supporting Auburn if he got hired, so that's a no. 

Petrino is kind of Briles lite in terms of baggage, and I know many here enamored with him but I feel like he doesn't win big games very much. He's a great QB coach though, so that would be positive. His defenses seem to be always majorly undermanned. He's a possible I'm guessing. Especially since he's probably going to be looking to bail on the L'ville situation.

Up and comers are great but ... if we get the wrong one we become Tennessee. Fleck's name pops up here but he's never really recruited down south and I don't like that. I don't think the air raid would really work long term in the SEC so I don't see a guy from that coaching tree working. Triple option guys are out. Fuente at VT is attractive but there's 0 chance he leaves. (I live in the Blacksburg area and you have nowhere near the pressure here that you have at an SEC school, it's a perfect job for a coach.) 

That leaves some of our similar types of coaches: Gundy, Dantonio. Guys who have been successful as the second big state school. Either one would be good to inquire about but I'm not sure either would leave. Dantonio maybe but again, hasn't recruited down south much. Gundy just got rid of Stoops in his state so I doubt he'd want to trade Stoops for Saban unless the T. Boone Pickens situation is bad. 

My Picks:

Dave Doeren (NC State) - but he's not without question marks. Not a ton of sustained success, hasn't recruited that highly at NC State. Does seem to put tough, competitive teams out there though. Would be good to see him with Auburn level talent but he'd also have to recruit better to keep that talent. 

DJ Durkin (Maryland) - excellent choice, but again not as much success to speak of. He's also a defensive coach so that probably means he'd dump the defensive staff as soon as he came in, and we'd be starting fresh on both sides of the ball. He's got SEC background though and can recruit so he'd be a good interview. 

Most likely: 

Will Muschamp. Especially if we don't have a solidified AD to make the new hire or god help us that we have the same AD making the hire. 

We need to hire an AD that has a lot of great connections and will immediately bring a level of professionalism that catches the attention of coaches/agents that Auburn is getting serious about changing the culture.  

22 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

I've thought a lot about this topic so forgive me for the depth in the post. 

First calls should be to Gary Patterson and Bob Stoops. That's 1A/1B. However Stoops seems to be very firm in his commitment to retirement right now and GP is unlikely to leave TCU as he has taken them so far and is still going up. I put the chances of either of these guys at <3%. Still though, I'd like to know that we at least gauged interest. 

Barring one of those two, I don't think an NFL guy coming down is going to work for us. There's not a good candidate who looks like they'll be displaced at that level who would come down to the college ranks and we could be assured of some kind of success. So no Saban 2.0 is likely. Chip Kelly somewhat falls into this category but evidently word is that he's NFL or bust at this point as he hates boosters and recruiting. Who knows, maybe that's all blustery and if the right job comes along he'd be in. He's an interesting thought. He always had a problem with his defenses though. 

The real answer here is Art Briles, but he's completely radioactive to any school. Frankly, most of us on this board would probably stop supporting Auburn if he got hired, so that's a no. 

Petrino is kind of Briles lite in terms of baggage, and I know many here enamored with him but I feel like he doesn't win big games very much. He's a great QB coach though, so that would be positive. His defenses seem to be always majorly undermanned. He's a possible I'm guessing. Especially since he's probably going to be looking to bail on the L'ville situation.

Up and comers are great but ... if we get the wrong one we become Tennessee. Fleck's name pops up here but he's never really recruited down south and I don't like that. I don't think the air raid would really work long term in the SEC so I don't see a guy from that coaching tree working. Triple option guys are out. Fuente at VT is attractive but there's 0 chance he leaves. (I live in the Blacksburg area and you have nowhere near the pressure here that you have at an SEC school, it's a perfect job for a coach.) 

That leaves some of our similar types of coaches: Gundy, Dantonio. Guys who have been successful as the second big state school. Either one would be good to inquire about but I'm not sure either would leave. Dantonio maybe but again, hasn't recruited down south much. Gundy just got rid of Stoops in his state so I doubt he'd want to trade Stoops for Saban unless the T. Boone Pickens situation is bad. 

My Picks:

Dave Doeren (NC State) - but he's not without question marks. Not a ton of sustained success, hasn't recruited that highly at NC State. Does seem to put tough, competitive teams out there though. Would be good to see him with Auburn level talent but he'd also have to recruit better to keep that talent. 

DJ Durkin (Maryland) - excellent choice, but again not as much success to speak of. He's also a defensive coach so that probably means he'd dump the defensive staff as soon as he came in, and we'd be starting fresh on both sides of the ball. He's got SEC background though and can recruit so he'd be a good interview. 

Most likely: 

Will Muschamp. Especially if we don't have a solidified AD to make the new hire or god help us that we have the same AD making the hire. 

I like the way you think. First, no to Muschamp. That being said, I was leaning more towards Jeff Brohm originally, but upon further analysis I am now firmly in the Doeren camp. His improvements at NC State has been inspiring. Two back to back MAC titles at N. Illinois. Currently has them at 6-1 this season, and right in the thick of the ACC race. I also am intrigued by Durkin, but think Doeren is a better choice at this point. 

Doeren, Brohm, Drurkin, Fleck, Venables. All viable choices in my opinion and all huge upgrades. Hell I'd even take Mullen at this point. 

What about uat’s OC . Kill two birds with one stone . Just thinking out loud. He does have good NFL ties . Would probably be willing to keep our D coaches. We already have some good recruiters in Steele, Garner and Williams. Anyone ‘s thoughts. Sure we could afford more than what they are paying him.

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

What about uat’s OC . Kill two birds with one stone . Just thinking out kid. He does have good NFL ties . Would probably be willing to keep our D coaches. We already have some good recruiters in Steele, Garner and Williams. Anyone ‘s thoughts.

The track record of uat OC's without the best athletes in the country is not strong. 

For as long as Jay Jacobs is AD, we won't get a hot shot, big-name hire. 

I like Muschamp as a coordinator, and South Carolina is doing pretty good this year. He has a great coaching resume, but I'm just not sold on him as a head coach. So I'm completely against it, and I'd be upset and disappointed if they hired him...but that's just me.

Mark Richt will not leave Miami--his alma mater--for Auburn. He also has too much loyalty and respect for Georgia to take the job at Auburn. He won't pull a Nick Saban.

The only thing I really want is a head coach who'll keep Steele and the entire defensive staff. The offensive staff needs to go, and I'll personally hold the door open for every single one of them.

Besides...we all know Jacobs will ONLY hire someone with Auburn ties, so a lot of our dream and preferred hires won't happen. But the likelihood of Malzahn getting fired is still slim to none solely because Jacobs is an idiot who won't pull the trigger.

Well for all those that want Muschamp.  If he was to be the guy, Steele is gone as DC and TR is the new DC. A few of the defensive staff may stay.  The guy can recruit and is about as fired up as a coach can get.  Not saying I want him but I'd take him over Gus anyday.  Never happen as long as JJ is the AD anyway.

For what it's worth I kind of wanted Kirby when we hired Gus but from what I heard the PTB would not give him controll. 

Heck, give the interim job to Al Borges, and keep the rest intact until we figure out something to do for next season.

I mean, how could it be worse than Gus?  ;)

For what it's worth, I wanted Gary Patterson over Malzahn or Kirby. Means nothing though.

Just now, johnnyAU said:

Heck, give the interim job to Al Borges, and keep the rest intact until we figure out something to do for next season.

I mean, how could it be worse than Gus?  ;)

For what it's worth, I wanted Gary Patterson over Malzahn or Kirby. Means nothing though.

I'd be thrilled to get GP. I just don't think that's going to happen. For the record, I don't think it's us, I just think he's got what he wants there at TCU. 

Just some names to consider.....

NFLers:  John Harbaugh, Bill O'Brien

Grizzled vets:  Jim Levitt, Butch Davis

Up and comers:  Scott Frost, Mario Cristobal

Meh..maybes:  Mel Tucker, Paul Rhoades

WTFers:  Tom Luginbill, Brian Polian

Personally, I had rather go in a different direction, but to be frank I think we should probably just go all in on Jimbo Fisher.  He and Sexton would demand something ridiculous, but I think at this point we should repeat what uat did with dink and bite the bullet.  He's probably the most realistic of the elite hires.  Due to recent events, it might be relatively easy to get him out of Tallahassee.  Might be the only guy able to get Fields away from UGA and I imagine it would all but close the deal on Nix.

WDE!

8 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

I'd be thrilled to get GP. I just don't think that's going to happen. For the record, I don't think it's us, I just think he's got what he wants there at TCU. 

There's a statue of Patterson on TCU's campus.  He's been there 17 years and counting.  Even making the phone call is a waste of time.

tcu-patterson-statue.jpg

I would make Jimbo and Richt say no before I moved on.  Jimbo was here at one time and Richt might just want to come back and be a thorn in UGA's side because they screwed him.  

1 minute ago, weagl1 said:

I would make Jimbo and Richt say no before I moved on.  Jimbo was here at one time and Richt might just want to come back and be a thorn in UGA's side because they screwed him.  

I don't think Richt would come as I think Miami is "home" for him.  I would also not be that enthused with Richt.  I think he is a good coach, but other than whipping AU, he really under performed at UGA in terms of SEC championships and even SEC Championship Game appearances while competing in a weak division.  

Jimbo may be on the down hill slide of his FSU career.  2012 would have been the time to go all out and try to hire Jimbo.  Not so sure about 2017.

wde

Archived