next Head Coach

Eagle-1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in the other post, I think this conversation won't matter because Jay wont be firing any Gus and then there will be a search for a new AD before a new coach could be hired. Mind as well let him finish the season and once he does that and we end up 9-4 or 10-3, people won't be saying the same thing. 

With that being said, would people be against Les Miles? he is still out there.

If Gus were to get hit by a bus tomorrow and we had to hire someone, I would go after Dan Mullen first.. and I think he would keep our defensive staff in place.

Well after 13 pages I don't see any consensus. That's the problem I fear. If we fire Gus a lot of people aren't going to be happy with the new guy. Somebody want to put up a poll af leading candidates and see who is first choice, considering the reality of getting him?

I just hope we don't confuse good playcalling ability with good manegerial ability. IMO our HC does not need to be a dynamic playcaller on either side of the ball . We need someone who has shown they can be the boss and run things smoothly as a CEO.

Well one result of the weekend games is that Dabo, Petersen and Leach are off of our list now. 

All of them lost games to vastly inferior opponents....games they should have easily won ....so they are not for us.  

It's good to have certain strict rules about things like this.....helps us eliminate coaches who would probably disappoint us here too if we were to hire them.  

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well one result of the weekend games is that Dabo, Petersen and Leach are off of our list now. 

All of them lost games to vastly inferior opponents....games they should have easily won ....so they are not for us.  

It's good to have certain strict rules about things like this.....helps us eliminate coaches who would probably disappoint us here too if we were to hire them.  

You say absolutely stupid stuff man. Completely dumbfounded statements on a daily basis. It’s getting to a point of troll status 

If we cant get Scott Frost or a really big name I think we are making a mistake and just putting a averagee to mediocre name in as our coach that will give us mediocre success and will be here in this same situation in a few more years.

I think it is time to move on from Gus but have real concerns with the turmoil in the athletic department  right now. I don't want to fire Gus without having a plan and a viable option as our next coach. Moving from one mediocre coach to another one is of no benefit to us. 

21 minutes ago, Jaxr29 said:

If we cant get Scott Frost or a really big name I think we are making a mistake and just putting a averagee to mediocre name in as our coach that will give us mediocre success and will be here in this same situation in a few more years.

Gus is the pure definition of average and mediocre.

wde

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

The difference is that the status quo is attached to Gus. Recruiting doesn’t have to change, and having to go through new hire woes aren’t necessary. So let’s make a decent hire instead of hiring a different guy just for the same o same o results.

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

exactly so we cant just replace him without a plan and get Gus 2.0 and struggle for longer and longer.

2 minutes ago, Jaxr29 said:

exactly so we cant just replace him without a plan and get Gus 2.0 and struggle for longer and longer.

I agree about the plan which means our Goober AD needs to be fired first, but to let Gus remain HC for another year is going to be a huge failure and will also set the program back.

wde

10 minutes ago, Jaxr29 said:

No, because we have the talent this year to win the SEC. Get him out of the way and have Steele interim! Most of the time I absolutely think its better to wait, but playing in the SEC West, especially with Bama looking a tad weaker than it has under Saban, now is the time to remove him and make a run.

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

I agree about the plan which means our Goober AD needs to be fired first, but to let Gus remain HC for another year is going to be a huge failure and will also set the program back.

wde

no doubt it willl be a failure to keep gus but to sign on another mediocre coach would be even worse 

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

No, because we have the talent this year to win the SEC. Get him out of the way! Most of the time I absolutely think its better to wait, but playing in the SEC West, especially with Bama looking a tad weaker than it has under Saban, now is the time to remove him and make a run.

were not beating alabama with out a good to great coach atm so to say we need to just get rid of Gus and sign whoever is a mistake this isnt saying that Gus doesnt need to be gone asap

1 hour ago, DAG said:

You say absolutely stupid stuff man. Completely dumbfounded statements on a daily basis. It’s getting to a point of troll status 

You sometimes come across as a jerk with zero sense of humor.....get a grip on yourself....

26 minutes ago, wde21 said:

I think it is time to move on from Gus but have real concerns with the turmoil in the athletic department  right now. I don't want to fire Gus without having a plan and a viable option as our next coach. Moving from one mediocre coach to another one is of no benefit to us. 

So let’s let the farm burn down just because we aren’t decided on what type cows we are going to put on it. No. Let’s put the fire out then worry about the cows. Right now this idiot coach we have is bringing disgrace on the university and the players. It is at least time to extinguish that fire.  Fire Gus now and then we will worry about what we will do with the athletic program 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I just hope we don't confuse good playcalling ability with good manegerial ability. IMO our HC does not need to be a dynamic playcaller on either side of the ball . We need someone who has shown they can be the boss and run things smoothly as a CEO.

PJ Fleck fits in to that category. I just see the IT factor and greatness in him. He is a dynamic personality who is a relentless recruiter who would welcome the challenge to go head to head with saban and would not back down. I also have this big fear he could turn in to butch jones 2.0 with all his ridiculous catchphrases that he admittingly has. Very gimmicky. It literally could go either way with him. I see him with the biggest upside out of the realistic names but albeit his floor may be lower.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

PJ Fleck fits in to that category. I just see the IT factor and greatness in him. He is a dynamic personality who is a relentless recruiter who would welcome the challenge to go head to head with saban and would not back down. I also have this big fear he could turn in to butch jones 2.0 with all his ridiculous catchphrases that he admittingly has. Very gimmicky. It literally could go either way with him. I see him with the biggest upside out of the realistic names but albeit his floor may be lower.

My thought on P J is he is really good convincing players with less ability to play over their head. Here we can get the better recruits. I think with those type recruits you need to have more of a work relationship that looks toward making them NFL quality. That’s what they are interested in. I actually think this is one of Gus’s faults. He actually should take some lessons from coach RG of being tough and convincing them this is what you need to do at the next level.

9 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

My thought on P J is he is really good convincing players with less ability to play over their head. Here we can get the better recruits. I think with those type recruits you need to have more of a work relationship that looks toward making them NFL quality. That’s what they are interested in. I actually think this is one of Gus’s faults. He actually should take some lessons from coach RG of being tough and convincing them this is what you need to do at the next level.

Fleck seems to be a players coach who also will tear in to you when needed. But that is just on these little puff pieces video segments to do. It is tough to really know what he is really like unless you are involved with the programs he has been at as a fan. How do you think he would do at AU?

51 minutes ago, Jaxr29 said:

were not beating alabama with out a good to great coach atm so to say we need to just get rid of Gus and sign whoever is a mistake this isnt saying that Gus doesnt need to be gone asap

LOL, bama is beyond reach right now.  I just want to be competitive with UGA and LSU (with the dumbest HC walking the planet).

wde

I know but tigerfanau had mentioned winning the sec wests so that means beating bama

@AUIH1

First choice - Bob Stoops - Pay him 8-10 million dollars and give him full control of the program. I think he would kill it at Auburn. I think his ego would want to dominate the SEC after all of the negative comments that he’s had about this league for years. Very low risk, high reward hire

2nd choice - Brent Venerables - Bring Jeff Scott as OC/WR Coach (let him implement the Clemson offense, especially the passing game), hire QB coach with track record of developing QB’s, hire Dell McGee as RB coach, hire elite DL, OL, & special team coaches (preferably with NFL experience), keep T-Will & Kevin Steele, and let Venerables pick a new secondary coach. 

2 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

First choice - Bob Stoops - Pay him 8-10 million dollars and give him full control of the program. I think he would kill it at Auburn. I think his ego would want to dominate the SEC after all of the negative comments that he’s had about this league for years. Very low risk, high reward hire

I think Stoops really is done. He didn't leave OK because he was burnt out, he left because his father died of a heart attack about two years older than he currently is. A guy who's commanded a salary among the top 5 in college football for nearly 15 years can more than afford to put his health first, and 8-10 mil a year says nothing to him. 

Archived