Null



Sign in to follow this  
Eagle-1

next Head Coach

Recommended Posts

Just now, Weagle1787 said:

I think Stoops really is done. He didn't leave OK because he was burnt out, he left because his father died of a heart attack about two years older than he currently is. A guy who's commanded a salary among the top 5 in college football for nearly 15 years can more than afford to put his health first, and 8-10 mil a year says nothing to him. 

That may be the case, but I would make him tell me “no”. Urban Meyer was done too as a result health issues, but we all know how that turned out. Stoops is 57. I think he has another 8-10 good years left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Here is my suggestion.  Go Hire Scott Frost but tell him to keep the defensive side of the coaches...come in and turn this around.  He has done a wonderful job at UCF and is young enough to put in the time.  His offense is clicking and has made his team tough.

Thoughts?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Here is my suggestion.  Go Hire Scott Frost but tell him to keep the defensive side of the coaches...come in and turn this around.  He has done a wonderful job at UCF and is young enough to put in the time.  His offense is clicking and has made his team tough.

Thoughts?

shoot higher. If we strike out he can be one of the backup plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GwillMac6 said:

shoot higher. If we strike out he can be one of the backup plans.

With the problems that we have in the AD office we won't be able to get higher.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AU_Tiger_88 said:

With the problems that we have in the AD office we won't be able to get higher.  

 

JJ will NOT be making that hire. KNOCK ON WOOD but I am confident in saying that with what I have read on paid sites from mods. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

JJ will NOT be making that hire. KNOCK ON WOOD but I am confident in saying that with what I have read on paid sites from mods. 

until that happens, I won't be holding my breath.  JJ is another millionaire salary in the ADs office but what has he really done to earn that salary?  Too many issues under his watch...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AU_Tiger_88 said:

until that happens, I won't be holding my breath.  JJ is another millionaire salary in the ADs office but what has he really done to earn that salary?  Too many issues under his watch...

JJ is in worse shape than gus right now. I see no way JJ makes it out. If Gus beats georgia (no chance he beats bama) he survives.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some candidates I like based on their records in their respective divisions. While I think it'd be nice to steal a top caliber FBS coach, I think many undersell the ability to coach regardless of division. List is in no particular order

Rod Broadway (North Carolina A&T)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Broadway

Chris Klieman (North Dakota State)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Klieman

John Grass (Jacksonville State)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Grass_(American_football)

Broderick Fobbs (Grambling State)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broderick_Fobbs

And a few to watch this year
Jason Candle (Toledo)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Candle

Mike Norvell (Memphis) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Norvell

Mike Houston https//en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Houston_(American_football)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he has passion like his father, Joe Whitt Jr. could be an interesting interview.  Auburn needs a coach that has learned from other great coaches and demands excellence on and off the field.  We do not need the next great offense guru.  AU needs someone that brings a toughness were other teams hate playing AU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott Frost has to be a premier name I'd think. Tennessee supposedly is getting ever so closer to bringing Gruden in and A&M is doing about as well as possible. We go ahead and start looking for the next coach now, we'd have a quick jump and little competition. Plus a pipeline into Florida

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Scott Frost has to be a premier name I'd think. Tennessee supposedly is getting ever so closer to bringing Gruden in and A&M is doing about as well as possible. We go ahead and start looking for the next coach now, we'd have a quick jump and little competition. Plus a pipeline into Florida

He will be hot target after this year.  Second year at UCF and he has them rolling...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised in the interest in Venables....no HC experience to my knowledge and while he is good at what he is doing, seems he would just be Muschamp 2.0   or maybe Gus 2.0 ......a coordinator who has to learn how to be the HC on our dime...or our four million dollars as the case might be.  

Might as well take Heath up on his offer....get the same amount of HC experience,  though Evans comes with an AU background which might cause him to be persona non grata to some on this board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm surprised in the interest in Venables....no HC experience to my knowledge and while he is good at what he is doing, seems he would just be Muschamp 2.0   or maybe Gus 2.0 ......a coordinator who has to learn how to be the HC on our dime...or our four million dollars as the case might be.  

Might as well take Heath up on his offer....get the same amount of HC experience,  though Evans comes with an AU background which might cause him to be persona non grata to some on this board. 

Sometimes a highly thought of coordinator is a Smart hire. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I'm surprised in the interest in Venables....no HC experience to my knowledge and while he is good at what he is doing, seems he would just be Muschamp 2.0   or maybe Gus 2.0

 

12 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Auburn needs a coach that has learned from other great coaches and demands excellence on and off the field.  We do not need the next great offense guru.  AU needs someone that brings a toughness were other teams hate playing AU.

Venables' coached/learned under:

Snyder at K State - hardnosed

Stoops at OU - who many adore, they just out-recruit everyone and win 10-11 games yearly.  OK is not a great place to go to - nothing interesting in that state to speak of.

Dabo - who just out-recruits and out coaches most of his opponents

 

Watch Venables - the dude is passion and he has learned from people who can build programs and sustain them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AUBourne said:

Sometimes a highly thought of coordinator is a Smart hire. 

I see what you did there... golf clap

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give me Justin Fuente, Scott Frost, or Brent Venables.  I really want to like PJ Fleck, but I'm not sold on him quite yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2017 at 6:10 PM, bigbird said:

64

How much baggage does Tressel still have after the way he departed tOSU?

Edited by afblue
Clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Is there a reason no one has mentioned Dan Mullen? He has done magic with MOO St and doesn't have half of the recruiting because well its MSST. 

Two reasons.

1) Nobody likes Dan Mullen.

2) Nobody wants Dan Mullen.

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AU64 said:

 

I'm surprised in the interest in Venables....no HC experience to my knowledge and while he is good at what he is doing, seems he would just be Muschamp 2.0   or maybe Gus 2.0 ......a coordinator who has to learn how to be the HC on our dime

 

Every head coach was a coordinator at some point. Saban, Mullen, Stoops all were. I agree they can be a hit or miss, but it's hard to argue he hasn't been successfully and well-tenured under big names. I'm not sure what head coach would laterally move to Auburn, not that they wouldn't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beaker said:

 

Venables' coached/learned under:

Snyder at K State - hardnosed

Stoops at OU - who many adore, they just out-recruit everyone and win 10-11 games yearly.  OK is not a great place to go to - nothing interesting in that state to speak of.

Dabo - who just out-recruits and out coaches most of his opponents

 

Watch Venables - the dude is passion and he has learned from people who can build programs and sustain them.

This is key here, I think. Look at the tree they come from, who did they learn from? For example, Venables above. Dabo learned under Bowden but he learned ALOT from Stallings including how to do it the "BAMA WAY" *wink wink*.  Muschamp has improved as a head coach after learning from Bill Oliver, Tubs, Saban and Mack Brown and a little bit of Spurrier. advice.

Now lets look at Gus' learning tree:

-High School > Houston Nutt > Todd Graham > Gene Chizik

love Chiz but that tree eeeeeeehhhhhhhh

We need a strong personality from a quality coaching tree who is TOUGH and who's teams form and represent that same personality of TOUGHNESS.

Gus is none of these. Regardless of how he used to be, he's now soft, wishy-washy,  and worst of all GUTLESS! He constantly second and third guesses himself. (going to hat, no back to visor! More of a CEO, oops ... need to be more hands on, going to hand over play calling, naawww, gonna call plays, done with the clipboard, oh look at that, a clipboard! Going to kick a field goal, uh oh *BOOS*  definitely going for it here! )

We don't need a team  with a "personality" like this. ^^

Been saying this for a while now: Gus = doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

*whispers* INSANITY...

We got the talent, we just, in my opinion need a good coach with solid credentials who is TOUGH. They also do not have to be a jerk to fit that bill *cough* Saban. Just look at our own Coach Jordan.
 

 

Edited by NCeagle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Venables a lot. He's learned under some very good coaches. He's at the point in his career where he's probably ready to move into a head coaching position. I think he will attract attention from some of the bigger schools who will be replacing coaches, whether they hire him or not. We should to consider him seriously. I agree that there is a risk here, but I really think that he's going to make a very good head coach somewhere, Auburn or otherwise. 

I'll add that Venables is the type of coach that will likely retire at the next school he moves to. He'll be selective in his job. He's talked about this in interviews. Family is very important to him, and he's not someone who wants to move them around. 

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this