next Head Coach

Eagle-1

Just now, Barnacle said:

O dude I believe it. He is a nfl lifer. Just a guy I have always been intrigued with! He has had 1 year of college coaching experience and that was his first job out of college as a grad assistant under saban at mich st. all the others have been nfl jobs. YOU KNOW by the avi who my number 1 is!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GwillMac6 said:

O dude I believe it. He is a nfl lifer. Just a guy I have always been intrigued with! He has had 1 year of college coaching experience and that was his first job out of college as a grad assistant under saban at mich st. all the others have been nfl jobs. YOU KNOW by the avi who my number 1 is!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!

I like Fuente, too. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

I like Fuente, too. 

who is your number 1 though? Fuente is my number 1 for the "realistic" guys I think we might could get. Out of all the pie in the sky deals Mike Gundy is my true number 1. But his nick saban just retired in the state he coaches in. I doubt he wants to take a job dealing with another nick saban. THE REAL nick saban. Plus ok state is his home which is another obstacle.

23 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

who is your number 1 though? Fuente is my number 1 for the "realistic" guys I think we might could get. Out of all the pie in the sky deals Mike Gundy is my true number 1. But his nick saban just retired in the state he coaches in. I doubt he wants to take a job dealing with another nick saban. THE REAL nick saban. Plus ok state is his home which is another obstacle.

I like Gundy too

My ideal coach is either Gary Patterson or Jim Harbough.  Realistically, Dan Mullen, Mike Macyntire, Chris Frost or even Bill Clark at UAB.  I am very impressed with his 4-2 start this  season.

3 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

My ideal coach is either Gary Patterson or Jim Harbough.  Realistically, Dan Mullen, Mike Macyntire, Chris Frost or even Bill Clark at UAB.  I am very impressed with his 4-2 start this  season.

just fyi Mike Mac has a 39-55 record as head coach. He has had 2 above .500 seasons and that is it. 

43 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Coaching in the NFL ....in my view....is much easier than college at about any level.   No recruiting and no worries about academics...only problem now is the  National Anthem" and when the season is over that is not a problem either.   Coaching in college is totally consuming from the standpoint of taking over a coach's life....24/7/365.  

Any guy who can get and keep an NFL or CFL job who comes back to college is nuts....JMO 

Exactly.

that is why all of the best coaches in recent history continue to have enduring careers in the NFL

smh 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

just fyi Mike Mac has a 39-55 record as head coach. He has had 2 above .500 seasons and that is it. 

Have you actually looked at his seasons and improvement though?

San Jose State 1-11, 5-7, 10-2

Colorado 4-8, 2-10, 4-9, 10-4, and currently 4-3

55 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Coaching in the NFL ....in my view....is much easier than college at about any level.   No recruiting and no worries about academics...only problem now is the  National Anthem" and when the season is over that is not a problem either.   Coaching in college is totally consuming from the standpoint of taking over a coach's life....24/7/365.  

Any guy who can get and keep an NFL or CFL job who comes back to college is nuts....JMO 

A lot of college coaches want that NFL job.  You just dont hear it publicly

52 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Have you actually looked at his seasons and improvement though?

San Jose State 1-11, 5-7, 10-2

Colorado 4-8, 2-10, 4-9, 10-4, and currently 4-3

I think last years season was a mirage. I do not think that is who he is as a coach. Again just my opinion.

I'd love a Chad Morris type that could come in and run this team and develop the offense while keeping Steele. There are a lot of interesting prospects. Scott Frost is definitely one to consider. Whether or not he bolts to Nebraska will soon be revealed. They just got a new AD. Dino Babers is also quite intriguing. He's good at developing talent as well. Clark is a possibility, and UAB is`looking to extend his contract.

That's what makes college football so entertaining, the possibilities.

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think last years season was a mirage. I do not think that is who he is as a coach. Again just my opinion.

time will tell.  but colorado is a tough place to  win

With the talent that Auburn has I don't understand why we could not just get any coach we want. Gus didn't do what he had to do to keep his job so I suppose he needs to go. So with that said if there is some reason why we can't get anyone we want then how can we demand that we win 10 games every year and beat teams that do hire whoever they want. It seems to me that you can't have it both ways. I want the 10 wins and to be able to beat our biggest rivals but I keep hearing people say we can't get this person or that person because of the train wreck we have at Auburn . So how do those two things mesh? I assume if Gus goes then JJ will go as well. It sounds like most of the guys everyone talks about are at least a gamble. I'm not saying keep Gus. I'm just saying if we have certain expectations then we should be able to get who we want. I don't understand why we can't.  I hope what I am saying makes since.

The first person I would reach out to is David Shaw and sweet talk his wife about the benefits of living in Auburn. Stanford had proven to put out pretty good coaches as we see in Harbough at UM and Derek Mason at Vandy.

I've gone a little cold on Mason as Vanderbilt's season has played out. I think they get a few of their easy wins early, but they have struggled in SEC play.

1 hour ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

The first person I would reach out to is David Shaw and sweet talk his wife about the benefits of living in Auburn. Stanford had proven to put out pretty good coaches as we see in Harbough at UM and Derek Mason at Vandy.

I've gone a little cold on Mason as Vanderbilt's season has played out. I think they get a few of their easy wins early, but they have struggled in SEC play.

Shaw isn't happening. He has no reason to leave Stanford.

Before I get the "Auburn is a better job!" crap, save it. Stanford is currently a major player in a P5 conference that has a Heisman favorite at RB. They are in an insanely nice part of the world, and are a world-class institution. Not only that, they are competing for the Pac12 championship year in and year out. Why in the world would Shaw leave that to come to Auburn, who would have fired their last 2 coaches within 5 years (Chizik '09-'12, Malzahn '13-'17)? Answer: he wouldn't.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

By the numbers, there are 20 coaches in FBS football right now with a better win percentage than Gus Malzahn. Some of which are deeply ingrained and going nowhere, Lincoln Riley has less than one year under his belt and Lance Liepold was a stud in Division II but cannot find success at Buffalo (go figure). So the pickings are slim to say the least. 

That said I have at least one name to add to the list: Bryan Harsin

Other than that there are no coaches either by cumulative record or current school record with a winning percentage above Gus' (.690)

It's a tough position we're in. Which is why I would shoot for the NFL or FCS level and find a consistent winner.

13 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

By the numbers, there are 20 coaches in FBS football right now with a better win percentage than Gus Malzahn. Some of which are deeply ingrained and going nowhere, Lincoln Riley has less than one year under his belt and Lance Liepold was a stud in Division II but cannot find success at Buffalo (go figure). So the pickings are slim to say the least. 

That said I have at least one name to add to the list: Bryan Harsin

Other than that there are no coaches either by cumulative record or current school record with a winning percentage above Gus' (.690)

It's a tough position we're in. Which is why I would shoot for the NFL or FCS level and find a consistent winner.

Going off winning% to judge a coach is terrible. Gus is a great example if this. He wins the majority of his games by playing G5/FCS schools and P5 with much inferior talent. 

Hell pre bama Saban sat right near Gus with win%. It also ignores a coach overachieving with a team. 

Pickings aren't slim by any means, just if we get an AD who isn't a retard. 

coaching tree....don't forget who they learned from.

Current body of work (their last 3 years) is a flash in the pan possibly.

1. Who did they learn from?  What was that style?

2. Have they duplicated those principles where they currently are?

3. Are they successful with recruiting right NOW?

4. Do they show passion?

That's it. Don't give me "flash" and a 'great job' the last 2 years (ie: Tom Herman at Texas).   I don't want the next 'Tom Herman'.  

Look at those 4 points and you see why Pat Dye was successful.  

B Venables is the next Pat Dye

My list

DREAM
Chip Kelly
Chris Peterson
Realistic
Justin Fuente
Jeff Brohm
Mike Norvall-Ole Miss probably has him.
Scott Frost.
Names I dont like
Petrino 
Miles
Bill Clark.

My Guess is my dream guys wont come so lets go after Fuente.

You either climb the mountain to the peak, or you go your ass back to the cabin.   You pull a mal moore, and you go to Gary Patterson's house (assuming there is a legitimate new AD in place) and you pay out the wazzou and give him full control of the football program  OR, you stop all of the pretending and the blathering about trying to win championships and admit that AU is a 2nd tier football program and that you really don't care about being a bigtime player....its a black or white situation....put up or shut up

Archived