next Head Coach

Eagle-1

2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

You either climb the mountain to the peak, or you go your ass back to the cabin.   You pull a mal moore, and you go to Gary Patterson's house (assuming there is a legitimate new AD in place) and you pay out the wazzou and give him full control of the football program  OR, you stop all of the pretending and the blathering about trying to win championships and admit that AU is a 2nd tier football program and that you really don't care about being a bigtime player....its a black or white situation....put up or shut up

It'd probably take 6.5-7mil a year for Patterson to even take a glance at Auburn.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

It'd probably take 6.5-7mil a year for Patterson to even take a glance at Auburn.

In case you haven’t looked the top coaches ARE making 6 to 7 million. So if we want to compete then that’s what we must be willing to spend. D1 Football like at the top school is making 125 to 150 million a year. So I don’t see a problem from a sound physical standpoint that 7 million is a problem at all.

That would be a minimum GP would probably consider to even think about leaving TCU. In all likelihood it's probably more like 8 million.......He is almost making 5 mil/yr now and TCU would open up the checkbook. He is going to end up with a statue at TCU or the field at Amon Carter Stadium renamed after him.

If if anything we probably will just get a bunch of coaches a nice raise for them to stay were they are. 

Trust me I want Gary Patterson at Auburn, but it ain't happening.

So if you want to hire a coach what is it you need rather than who. But the numbers right now Saben is the top college coach. When Moore hired Saben he said he hired the best coach in the country. Saben told him “ no but you did hire the best recruiter in the country. “ I don’t think anyone would argue Saben was right. He is a good defensive guru but he has hired good defensive coaches and a lot of decent offensive coaches. Through it all though it is his recruiting that keeps them winning. When a player gets hurt or messes up , Nick has a four or five star waiting to run in. So while we have been bringing in top 10 classes he has been bringing in top 3 classes. So number one we need a coach that can close the deal with the recruits and is a good judge of what he needs. Next he needs to be able to make players believe he has the ability to take them to the NFL. He doesn’t have to be a great X and O guy he just has to be willing to hire coaches that are. The biggest fall down on Gus is he is not a CEO type but and entrepreneur. He is not interested in the company being successful just proving his idea is the best. Next you also need a person cable of demanding and receiving unquestionable respect. When he talks people listen. So if you really want a winner this is the type guy you look for. Most of these guys will pick their AD , not report to them. If we are serious about taking down or at least competing against the turd and OSU on a regular basis we probably are going to have to go after an NFL guy. Kelly maybe be an option but there are others to that haven’t been discussed.

4 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

That would be a minimum GP would probably consider to even think about leaving TCU. In all likelihood it's probably more like 8 million.......He is almost making 5 mil/yr now and TCU would open up the checkbook. He is going to end up with a statue at TCU or the field at Amon Carter Stadium renamed after him.

If if anything we probably will just get a bunch of coaches a nice raise for them to stay were they are. 

Trust me I want Gary Patterson at Auburn, but it ain't happening.

I don’t think GP is the guy to compete with Saben or the rest of the top guys. Good coach but just not the big league coach we need.

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I don’t think GP is the guy to compete with Saben or the rest of the top guys. Good coach but just not the big league coach we need.

There are no coaches to compete with Saban . His legacy is written and Dabo will be the guy we need to compete with . 

Patterson would be a slam dunk. He doesn’t get the players at tcu like he would at AU . He could do well at AU 

I’m not faulting your opinion just stating mine. I would have very little confidence IMHO of Gary being successful in the SEC. I think their are better CEO types out there. As I said elsewhere we need to quit hiring OC or DC type guys and go for CEO. GP is a glorified DC. His offense has been stagnant most of the time at TCU. We need a CEO that will hire both a good OC and DC and replace them as needed. Be willing to change styles and adjust to new trends as others change. To often when you get a glorified OC. Or DC they will not change the way they play. No mater how good your system is in a couple of years someone will find a way to counter it so you can’t be married to it and be successful.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:19 PM, WarTiger1 said:

I bet he would. Its AU we are talking about.

Not a chance, no matter how much money Auburn throws at him. Nope.

5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m not faulting your opinion just stating mine. I would have very little confidence IMHO of Gary being successful in the SEC. I think their are better CEO types out there. As I said elsewhere we need to quit hiring OC or DC type guys and go for CEO. GP is a glorified DC. His offense has been stagnant most of the time at TCU. We need a CEO that will hire both a good OC and DC and replace them as needed. Be willing to change styles and adjust to new trends as others change. To often when you get a glorified OC. Or DC they will not change the way they play. No mater how good your system is in a couple of years someone will find a way to counter it so you can’t be married to it and be successful.

if the clown that we have now, would just read your post and follow the formula that you set, he could stay here until he croaks...its incomprehensible to me that he can't see this

27 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

if the clown that we have now, would just read your post and follow the formula that you set, he could stay here until he croaks...its incomprehensible to me that he can't see this

Yes but his Offense is his ID it is who he is. He can’t change it without admitting that he is not the offense genius that he so wants to be. If somebody beats it , his thought will always be it had to do with the execution. He could never accept that it was just someone had figured out how to defend it.

32 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes but his Offense is his ID it is who he is. He can’t change it without admitting that he is not the offense genius that he so wants to be. If somebody beats it , his thought will always be it had to do with the execution. He could never accept that it was just someone had figured out how to defend it.

I don't think Gus' problem is genius or lack thereof (also I'm certain he doesn't believe himself to be a genius either, that was everyone else). But something caused him lose the edge he had as a coordinator.

In 2010 people were writing articles about how unpredictable Malzahn is. I recall one joking stated he took a canoe to with that day and tomorrow it'd be no surprise if he came in on rocket skates...

It'd be nice to find that mad scientist again...

On 10/17/2017 at 1:14 PM, AUEngineer2016 said:

Generally curious, why don't you like Frost as a tier-1 plan? He's been a successful coordinator (actually, both an OC and a DC at the D1 level. DC at Northern Iowa (FCS), OC at Oregon), and now a successful head coach. 

For those that don't know his background, he was Mariota's OC at Oregon the year he won the Heisman. His offenses at Oregon were incredible. Scoring offense rankings: 2013 - 3rd (45.5 PPG), 2014 - 4th (45.4 PPG), 2015 - 5th (43.0 PPG). Keep in mind that this was all after Chip Kelly left for the NFL, and that after he left, Oregon had a huge drop off: 2016 - 27th (35.4 PPG), 2017 - 22nd (37.9 PPG).

The year before he took over, UCF went 0-12 and were the worst team in CFB. In year 1, UCF improved to 6-7 (4-4), including losses to several P5 teams (Michigan, Maryland, South Carolina). So far in year 2, they are 5-0 with victories over Maryland, Memphis, and Cincinnati. They also have the best scoring offense in the country this year (50.6 PPG). 

FTR, I love Frost. He's young, energetic, and has shown that he can take a bad team and turn them into a good team. He has also shown that he knows how to get the ball in the endzone.

He almost beat a couple of those P5 schools his first year.  Took USC to the wire.  He just didn't have the horses at the end.

1 hour ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

He almost beat a couple of those P5 schools his first year.  Took USC to the wire.  He just didn't have the horses at the end.

He is my number 1 choice. Unfortunately, he is still young and presents a certain level of risk. But pretty much anyone we hire after this will as well.

10 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I don't think Gus' problem is genius or lack thereof (also I'm certain he doesn't believe himself to be a genius either, that was everyone else). But something caused him lose the edge he had as a coordinator.

In 2010 people were writing articles about how unpredictable Malzahn is. I recall one joking stated he took a canoe to with that day and tomorrow it'd be no surprise if he came in on rocket skates...

It'd be nice to find that mad scientist again...

Previous Gus offenses used a combination of power running, sweeps, screens, and intermediate to long passes to stretch the field both horizontally and vertically.  In 2009, I often thought: "This what happens when you combine power rushing with an Air Raid."  When you combine that with tempo, it really is devastating.  I do think he has missed having an extremely fast guy like McCalebb to run those sweeps.  In fact, that was what I thought his primary interest in JFIII was.  I thought he recruited him to give him a shot at QB (not expecting him to win the job), and then use him instead as his sweep speedster.

As the years have gone on, his offense has slowed down and become more focused on power running and big downfield passing plays.  I do not know why that is, but it has definitely worked to his, and Auburn's, detriment.  I very much enjoyed watching Gus' previous offenses, but his post-Nick Marshall offenses have been painful to watch when they run into a team with a pulse.  With this roster, a literal repeat of his 2009 offense would be undefeated right now, with some gaudy statistics.

Edit to add:  That is what truly baffles me about Gus.  It is like he got some bad advice from someone, adopted it fully, and cannot recognize that it was bad advice.

I wonder if their are other influences within our program that is forcing Gus into some of these decisions. If I remember correctly, Wayne Bolt was shoved up GC's and Ted Roof's rectum. From what I heard TR would put in a game plan and then Bolt would change it on Wednesday(or late in the week). Gus is getting the blame, but sadlyit could be that he is a puppet of the real behind the scenes disaster. There's no logical reason for him to get away from what made him successful. No hurry up, imaginative plays, etc. 

3 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

I wonder if their are other influences within our program that is forcing Gus into some of these decisions. If I remember correctly, Wayne Bolt was shoved up GC's and Ted Roof's rectum. From what I heard TR would put in a game plan and then Bolt would change it on Wednesday(or late in the week). Gus is getting the blame, but sadlyit could be that he is a puppet of the real behind the scenes disaster. There's no logical reason for him to get away from what made him successful. No hurry up, imaginative plays, etc. 

Wayne Bolt was Chizik's defensive coordinator at Iowa State, and Chizik then brought him here as Director of Football.  If anything, Chizik shoved Wayne Bolt up Ted Roof's rectum.

6 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

If Gus is a puppet, and someone else is dictating our offense, then somewhere in Auburn there is a pile of stupidity.  Not regular stupidity either, I am talking about weapons-grade stupidity.

12 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

There are no coaches to compete with Saban . His legacy is written and Dabo will be the guy we need to compete with . 

Patterson would be a slam dunk. He doesn’t get the players at tcu like he would at AU . He could do well at AU 

Gus recruits well. Top 10 classes. Charlie strong coached Louisville to a top ten team and failed miserably at ut. There is no slam dunk out there. I'm all ears but I have not heard any name that makes me think we will win more than 8 or 9 games a season like we do now

Small thinking = small results.  Don't underestimate who we're capable of luring.

The flame-out rate on "up and comers" is sky high.  Heck, four or five them in the SEC will be fired this year or next.

15 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Gus recruits well. Top 10 classes. Charlie strong coached Louisville to a top ten team and failed miserably at ut. There is no slam dunk out there. I'm all ears but I have not heard any name that makes me think we will win more than 8 or 9 games a season like we do now

Winning 9 games a year and winning 50% of the games against UGA and LSU would be a big improvement over what we have now.

wde

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

Edit to add:  That is what truly baffles me about Gus.  It is like he got some bad advice from someone, adopted it fully, and cannot recognize that it was bad advice.

There is not hard evidence that I can find that Gus has accepted any advise from anyone. :drippingsarcasm7pa:  

6 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

If Gus is a puppet, and someone else is dictating our offense, then somewhere in Auburn there is a pile of stupidity.  Not regular stupidity either, I am talking about weapons-grade stupidity.

And Bolt is one of Dyes boys. And yes I do believe that our issues are throughout our football program( Jay Jacobs, Tim Jackson, etc.) and that there are a lot of input/demands from people that don't know jack shat about football.

1 minute ago, imaolgatiger said:

And Bolt is one of Dyes boys. And yes I do believe that our issues are throughout our football program( Jay Jacobs, Tim Jackson, etc.) and that there are a lot of input/demands from people that don't know jack shat about football.

Bolt might be one of Dye's boys, but the fact that he went to Iowa State with Chizik and came back with him too, tells us that Chizik wanted him around.  I am perfectly fine with purging Dye, any of his minions, and his former players from the football program.  It cannot happen soon enough, as far as I am concerned.  Let them be like Bo Jackson, or be gone.  I consider any interference with the head coach and his staff to be a problem, but an unrelated one.

That said, I doubt anyone is telling or recommending to Gus that he do something like LSU 2017 or Clemson 2016.  They were brainfarts of the highest order, but I do not think they go any further than Gus.  I suspect even Jay Jacobs would have told Gus he was crazy if Gus briefed him on the Clemson 2016 gameplan.

14 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

That would be a minimum GP would probably consider to even think about leaving TCU. In all likelihood it's probably more like 8 million.......He is almost making 5 mil/yr now and TCU would open up the checkbook. He is going to end up with a statue at TCU... 

TCU already has that statue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gary+patterson+statue

Archived