next Head Coach

Eagle-1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So if you want to hire a coach what is it you need rather than who. But the numbers right now Saben is the top college coach. When Moore hired Saben he said he hired the best coach in the country. Saben told him “ no but you did hire the best recruiter in the country. “ I don’t think anyone would argue Saben was right. He is a good defensive guru but he has hired good defensive coaches and a lot of decent offensive coaches. Through it all though it is his recruiting that keeps them winning. When a player gets hurt or messes up , Nick has a four or five star waiting to run in. So while we have been bringing in top 10 classes he has been bringing in top 3 classes. So number one we need a coach that can close the deal with the recruits and is a good judge of what he needs. Next he needs to be able to make players believe he has the ability to take them to the NFL. He doesn’t have to be a great X and O guy he just has to be willing to hire coaches that are. The biggest fall down on Gus is he is not a CEO type but and entrepreneur. He is not interested in the company being successful just proving his idea is the best. Next you also need a person cable of demanding and receiving unquestionable respect. When he talks people listen. So if you really want a winner this is the type guy you look for. Most of these guys will pick their AD , not report to them. If we are serious about taking down or at least competing against the turd and OSU on a regular basis we probably are going to have to go after an NFL guy. Kelly maybe be an option but there are others to that haven’t been discussed.

I would settle for anybody that would line up their best receiver in the slot instead of their best H back

Just now, CullmanTiger said:

I would settle for anybody that would line up their best receiver in the slot instead of their best H back

I understand your point but we really need to go all in with this hire. We need a guy that can do this at a high level for at least the next ten years. As I said we have to pay what it takes and give him the latitude he needs to accomplish it.

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I understand your point but we really need to go all in with this hire. We need a guy that can do this at a high level for at least the next ten years. As I said we have to pay what it takes and give him the latitude he needs to accomplish it.

Vennables or Frost

This is like a neverending cycle of frustration. My prediction is we all name off all these great coaches that would improve Auburn's football program. The athletic department will hire someone that non or most of us never thought about and we will all find a way to justify it. That coach will come in and look great for 2 years and then reality will set in for the remaining 4 or 5 years. Rinse and repeat. 

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes, you got my point but I failed to show the degree of sarcasm I was using to make it

And if some think this is going to end and even back out in a few years when Saban is gone, they are mistaken. Bama already knows what they need to do to be successful. They will steal Dabo from Clemson and Dabo and Kirby will completely dominate the SEC for years. If Auburn wants to be a big player, they have got to be willing to 1. Open up the wallet and 2. Hire someone outside of their historical comfort zone. 

16 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Anyone else see Will Colliers tweet ab JJ? Asking for luxury suite and season tickets for life plus golden parachute

I looked into it once I saw your post. I will post it here:

https://twitter.com/willcollier/status/920995354270683137

https://twitter.com/willcollier/status/920995537159147520

Edit* Not sure why but I can't get the tweets to show up in the post?

25 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Anyone else see Will Colliers tweet ab JJ? Asking for luxury suite and season tickets for life plus golden parachute

How about an atomic wedgie, a swift kick in the rear and a bus ticket outta town?

Those who actually think Chip Kelly would be right for this program have you looked at anything about how he runs his programs?

links:

What happened when he went to the Eagles:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/new-eagles-regime-highlights-problems-chip-kellys-methods%3famp

Went 10-6 two years in a row and then got fired halfway through the season in his third year?

Only stayed one year at the 49ers before he got fired?  

What happened at Oregon:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/programs-may-be-salivating-over-chip-kelly-but-there-are-obstacles-to-his-return/amp/

There’s a reason he’s sitting behind an ESPN desk and not on a sideline. Keep Chip Kelly as far away as possible from Auburn. I’d rather have Lane Kiffin. 

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Those who actually think Chip Kelly would be right for this program have you looked at anything about how he runs his programs?

links:

What happened when he went to the Eagles:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/new-eagles-regime-highlights-problems-chip-kellys-methods%3famp

Went 10-6 two years in a row and then got fired halfway through the season in his third year?

Only stayed one year at the 49ers before he got fired?  

What happened at Oregon:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/programs-may-be-salivating-over-chip-kelly-but-there-are-obstacles-to-his-return/amp/

There’s a reason he’s sitting behind an ESPN desk and not on a sideline. Keep Chip Kelly as far away as possible from Auburn. I’d rather have Lane Kiffin. 

I was iffy on Chip Kelly but now I'm firmly off that train

58 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Vennables or Frost

do you think of the two Vennables might be the better option given the state of Nebraska's program and Frost's connection/attractiveness to them?

54 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

And if some think this is going to end and even back out in a few years when Saban is gone, they are mistaken. Bama already knows what they need to do to be successful. They will steal Dabo from Clemson and Dabo and Kirby will completely dominate the SEC for years. If Auburn wants to be a big player, they have got to be willing to 1. Open up the wallet and 2. Hire someone outside of their historical comfort zone. 

and who is that person?

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Vennables or Frost

I like the way you think. I was just about to post this when I saw your mention of Frost.

I expect Malzahn to be back, barring a collapse down the stretch that leads to 5 or more losses this season, but since folks are throwing names out let me toss one I haven't seen into the ring...

This guy is a young head coach at a Florida school, just in his second season. He has a championship pedigree, playing for both Stanford (under Bill Walsh) and Nebraska (under Tom Osborne.) He's also coached under Frank Solich, Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich..  His team this season is 5-0 so far after finishing 6-7 in his first season last year.

Near as I can tell, his offense will pass if it needs to pass and run if it needs to run.  He is NOT a "proven big name" and if Malzahn should be fired I don't expect he'll even get a sniff from AU.  But what the heck.

Who am I talking about? Scott Frost, QB of the 1997 national champ Nebraska Cornhuskers and current head coach at the University of Central Florida.  Age 42. so he's young and has the potential to be around for a good long while. (Plus in a pinch, before playing an option team, he can play scout team QB.)

Laughable? I'm sure. But I like his pedigree, I like that he comes from a championship winning program and I like the diversity of influences he's had in his career as a player and a coach. Laugh away...

On edit...

After searching the forum I see that I am wayyyyy behind the curve on Frost.  Glad to see others thinking the same crazy thoughts as me! :)

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I was iffy on Chip Kelly but now I'm firmly off that train

Never understood the hype on him.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Agree. Not a fan of Kelly either. I think Frost will end up at Nebraska although he may be best choice. 

On 10/17/2017 at 4:13 PM, AUEngineer2016 said:

That's fair, but I personally think passing on Frost would be a huge mistake. To me, he's exactly what Auburn needs (and what we thought we were getting with Gus): Energetic guy with an explosive offensive approach who players love. 

Some added stats

• Arky State under Gus in 2012 was 26th in Scoring Offense (34.9 PPG), 43rd in Scoring Defense (24.5 PPG). 
  • UCF under Frost in 2016 was 66th in Scoring Offense (28.8 PPG), 41st in Scoring Defense (24.6 PPG).
  • UCF under Frost in 2017 is 1st in Scoring Offense (50.6 PPG), 14th in Scoring Defense (16.8 PPG). 

I get that Frost doesn't have a ton of experience as a head coach, but his resume doesn't lie- the guy just fricking wins. It's very telling to me that he went from Co-DC/LB coach at FCS Northern Iowa to WR coach at Oregon. Chip Kelly obviously saw something in him that he liked.

Pros And Cons:

• Pros:
    • Turned UCF from 0-12 to top 15 in Scoring Offense and Scoring Defense in 2 years
    • Protoge of Chip Kelly.
    • Played under Tom Osborne, Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, and Jon Gruden.
    • Has experience as an OC and a DC at the D1 level, and was successful at both
    • Young and brings lots of energy to the program
    • Former Broyles award winner (and has coached a Heisman winner)
    • Former national championship winning Quarterback and NFL Safety
  • Cons
    • Only has 2 years of HC experience.

Frost reminds me a lot of Tom Herman in the coaching realm, so much in fact that they are the same age. He has a TREMENDOUS upside, and IMO he will create a powerhouse wherever he goes. I want that to be Auburn.

I shouldn't have skipped over so many posts. My previous post is just redundant to yours.  Thoroughly Ninja'd. :)

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I felt if his Oregon system was updated with the times and supported with SEC athletes on both sides of the ball he could be a problem for our opponents. That was my rationale, anyways. However I don't like the idea of someone being so married to a system that it eliminates all flexibility. Throw in this FBI stuff and it's a big "nevermind" from me

27 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

and who is that person?

Def not Gus, Steele,Bill Clark, Muschamp or Clay Helton, or anyone that has been remotely connected to Auburn University at any point.   Basically ask JJ to give a list of 10 people he would like to hire and go the complete opposite way. People like Patterson, Brohm, Fleck, Vennables would be a good bet. These people aren't familiar with Auburn and they will challenge the PTB for control, because they won't understand the good ole boy situation down here.

Again, people should look at the list that CFN posted earlier. They clearly don’t think we’re going to be looking, because we’re a much more desirable job than Pitt and Mizzou.

I'm totally down for Scott Frost, but I feel he may slip out of our grasp before they drop the hammer on Gus.?

if i am auburn's prez, i hand-deliver Foley a $500K check to be a consultant for me until this mess is cleaned up.  i fire JJ today.  i ask foley to interview ADs for me and give me his opinion.  then let the new ad clean, with Foley's assistance if asked for, house. 

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

How about an atomic wedgie, a swift kick in the rear and a bus ticket outta town?

Why can't we just be happy there are talks about his severance package?  If history is an indicator he's not leaving town, possible not even the department.  Results are what they are, but I don't think he's a bad person.  Why does he also need to be punished? 

WDE!

Archived