Most Deflating Loss in a Long Time

Gowebb11

Everything aligned. Talent laden roster, accurate and strong armed QB, a stellar and deep defense, and UGA and Bama at home. Gus just took all of that and flushed it down the toilet. He lost a crucial game and a 20-0 lead to Ed Orgeron. We ran the ball on 17 consecutive first downs. How is that even possible to do?  Welcome back to the good ole 7-8 win club, waiting to see if we end up in Nashville or Birmingham. 

There are only 2 choices. Keep living where we are. Or fire Gus and start over. That's a very clear choice for me, but then I'm not the one making the decision. We have an equally incompetent AD doing that for us. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Everything aligned. Talent laden roster, accurate and strong armed QB, a stellar and deep defense, and UGA and Bama at home. Gus just took all of that and flushed it down the toilet. He lost a crucial game and a 20-0 lead to Ed Orgeron. We ran the ball on 17 consecutive first downs. How is that even possible to do?  Welcome back to the good ole 7-8 win club, waiting to see if we end up in Nashville or Birmingham. 

There are only 2 choices. Keep living where we are. Or fire Gus and start over. That's a very clear choice for me, but then I'm not the one making the decision. We have an equally incompetent AD doing that for us. 

Pretty much a steady stream of disappointment since giving the national championship to FSU. 

You sure?..With Malzahn, you have a bunch to choose from

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

When's the last time you felt this deflated? Against Clemson this season? Or Georgia last season? Alabama last season? 

The point is that with Gus at helm, we are liable to feel THIS DEFLATED at ANY game. 

There should not be any sudden deflation at all whatsoever. Seems we receive these games WAY TOO OFTEN.

2 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

When's the last time you felt this deflated? Against Clemson this season? Or Georgia last season? Alabama last season? 

The point is that with Gus at helm, we are liable to feel THIS DEFLATED at ANY game. 

There should not be any sudden deflation at all whatsoever. Seems we receive these games WAY TOO OFTEN.

All good teams other than Bammer get deflated from time to time (Michigan, Clemson, Ohio St) but your right it is happening way too much for AU teams with Top 10 talent.

Just now, ChltteTiger said:

All good teams other than Bammer get deflated from time to time (Michigan, Clemson, Ohio St) but your right it is happening way too much for AU teams with Top 10 talent.

Yes, it happens to them. But they always seem to bounce back, and you have this aura of confidence that you trust that they will move on and still go back to their winning ways. 

With Gus, I'm going to need to order Costco-sized Pepto Bismol.

7 minutes ago, constructiontiger said:

We're up by 9, we're in good shape - said NO good football coach - EVER.

yeah sure....We're in good shape ... IF WE KEEP DOING WHAT GOT US THERE! Not sit on the ball in the second half!!!! This one hurts.

Honestly this is a game we should win. We are a more mature program and they are a new team. If we couldn’t beat em this year why would we beat em next year when Aranda will be there 3 years Canadas second year? We are about as good as we are going to get smh. Their ceiling is much higher than ours and we still lost...

11 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Probably tough to be young....I've been deflated by so many inexplicable AU losses over my life as an AU fan that I'm almost immune to it anymore. 

As commented above, I  feel bad for the players only slightly.   The "playing it safe attitude"  is on everyone....poor tacking, dropped passes, getting caught out of position...you name it.   2nd Half was just bad all the way around.

PS...I do note that we had 5 starters or maybe 6 who were injured and missed some or most of the game....that did not help the situation. ...missed Tray Matthews for certain.

I'm not deflated at all because I've come to expect it.  

Good news is, we control our own destiny.  

Bad news is... Gus. 

We control our own destiny? You mean the destiny in which we choke or get manhandled against all teams with equal or better talent?

I can't remember the last time I saw a team dominate the first quarter, then not be able to get out of their own way the remaining three quarters. This one stings.

I’m by no means a Gus supporter and did not want him when he was hired.  With that said, there is plenty of blame to go around for this loss.   Not sure I’ve ever seen so many bone headed plays and play calls in one game before.  Most of the blame is laid at the feet of the head coach as it should be, but a dropped sure interception that led to a touchdown.   Davis diving at the ball for no reason and DB’s not turning around and playing the ball or playing through the receiver.

punt return for TD and never understood why linemen are on punt coverage.

Guess it's not according to Gus: 

Gus Malzahn said after the loss to LSU, in which Auburn blew a 20-0 lead, that "it's not the end of the world."

4:45 PM - 14 Oct 2017

https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/919348388155465728

31 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

We control our own destiny? You mean the destiny in which we choke or get manhandled against all teams with equal or better talent?

That what Gus said in presser "we control our own destiny" ?????

37 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Doesn't matter if we beat Alabama and UGA....there will be bitter disappointment because of what could have been. 

That being said, if he loses the team, this will be a disaster of a year instead of traditional Gus mediocrity. 

15 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Guess it's not according to Gus: 

Gus Malzahn said after the loss to LSU, in which Auburn blew a 20-0 lead, that "it's not the end of the world."

4:45 PM - 14 Oct 2017

https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/919348388155465728

sounds like a Butch Jones type deflection. Easy to say when you are a millionaire.

58 minutes ago, constructiontiger said:

We're up by 9, we're in good shape - said NO good football coach - EVER.

that showed he planned to quit playing to win

Archived