Who Put the Brakes On

mom2kid

GM said absolutly nothing at the press conf but the reporters didn't exactly ask the questions we all have.  Who the hell took over play calling after the first quarter?  Or did you Gus tell CL to slow it down?  Which of you geniuses decide to run it up the middle on every 1st down play?  Why no short  or intermediate passing game?  Why do you think blowing a 20 pnt lead is acceptable?

This was the WORST coaching job I've have EVER SEEN!!!! I am at a complete loss as to why we ran up the middle and only threw the ball 7 times prior to our final possession.  UNACCEPTABLE!  This is 100% on Malzahn

5 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

GM said absolutly nothing at the press conf but the reporters didn't exactly ask the questions we all have.  Who the hell took over play calling after the first quarter?  Or did you Guss tell CL to sliw it down?  Which of you geniuses decide to run it up the middle on every 1st down play?  Why no short  or intermediate passing game?  Why do you think blowing a 20 pnt lead is acceptable?

Gus was calling plays.  This is Gus all over.  And this is all Auburn will ever get.

I saw GM putting that fold-up card with the plays on it back in his back pocket in the second quarter. Did anyone else catch that when the camera zoned in on him?

Bryan Matthews tweeted "I've seen this kind of offense before and it's not Chip Lindsey's."
I just wonder who has made the worst career choice, Lindsey or Stidham? Tough call. 

Putting the brakes on probably isn’t the best way to put it.  Being out schemed at the line of scrimmage is probably a better way to put it.  Went from picking up 7-10 yards a carry to 2-3 after the first quarter.  Then as usual we didn’t adjust

So, I'm trying to wrap my brain around how a HC with any logical sense can completely abandon a successful, balanced attack(in the 1'st quarter), in favor of a run on every 1'st down BS philosophy. Why did he think any change of strategy was necessary? It's as if he is a covert agent seeking to destroy AU from within. Pathetic!!

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Putting the brakes on probably isn’t the best way to put it.  Being out schemed at the line of scrimmage is probably a better way to put it.  Went from picking up 7-10 yards a carry to 2-3 after the first quarter.  Then as usual we didn’t adjust

Its pathetic. You know everyone in the booth sees it and knows how to adjust, but they seemingly aren't being allowed to do their job.

Just now, bigbird said:

Its pathetic. You know everyone in the booth sees it and knows how to adjust, but they seemingly aren't being allowed to do their job.

Do you think Hand is capable of adjusting?  

11 hours ago, tigereye78 said:

So, I'm trying to wrap my brain around how a HC with any logical sense can completely abandon a successful, balanced attack(in the 1'st quarter), in favor of a run on every 1'st down BS philosophy. Why did he think any change of strategy was necessary? It's as if he is a covert agent seeking to destroy AU from within. Pathetic!!

He didn't. Why do I know that without having a head set? Because every other place CL has coached he has tried to score as often as possible and has never throttled down.

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

But you have to admit there has been a distinct mentality shift when we do go up big. Even the last couple of weeks we became much less productive after the half. 

Gus is coaching scared. 

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Do you think Hand is capable of adjusting?  

To an extent. He understands when it is necessary, but maybe not necessarily how...I'd assume.

2 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

But you have to admit there has been a distinct mentality shift when we do go up big. Even the last couple of weeks we became much less productive after the half. 

Gus is coaching scared. 

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why this is the case. Honestly, I can't even give an explanation at all. We've proved over again and again that this approach belongs in the coffin. Just a putrid and pathetic display of coaching.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

To an extent. He understands when it is necessary, but maybe not necessarily how...I'd assume.

We have recruited very well on the OL for years now but we try to move possibly the best guard in the nation to RT the entire fall then move him back the last week of fall practice...   umm it’s a total meltdown that all offensive coaches need to be shouldering tonight.  The defense gave up some chunk plays but the game should have never been at that point anyway 

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He didn't. Why do I know that without having a header? Because every other place CL has coached he has tried to score as often as possible and has never throttled down.

I'm in agreement that this failure isn't on Chip Lindsay. I was talking about the HC....Gus Malzahn. You may have misunderstood. 

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

4th and the length of the football with a “downhill run game” and you punt.  That’s the biggest “brake” of the day

I almost started a thread with this exact premise. That was the point of no return.  After they scored the 1st time I thought that it might be close. After that, I knew it was over.

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

4th and the length of the football with a “downhill run game” and you punt.  That’s the biggest “brake” of the day

If you don't convert that down you don't deserve to win. It's that simple.

Reminds me of the Mississippi State game when we got 4th and 1 at their 1-yard line. Gus elected to go with a FG and it took our boos to actually change and go for it. Look what that turned out. Had we kicked for 3, what would have been the outcome of the game?

LACK OF KILLER MENTALITY. 

Archived