Personnel Assessment

SCTiger2011

I know there are a lot of dumpster fire posts going on right now (as there should be, heck, I want to start 20 of them right now), but as to not clog the board with clones of the same topic, I figured I'd discuss something else I'm interested to get opinions on.  

Do people still "like" a Gus offense?  And I mean an Auburn OC Gus Malzahn offense.  I watch a lot of Pac-12 games because of family ties and I reminisce about the old 2004 AU West Coast offense probably way too much.  While once "revolutionary," this offense just seems so cumbersome, relying on a process to happen (wait for the DE to crash) instead of relying on instinct.  Personally, I miss things like a fullback, athletic tight ends, and 6'5 receivers.  

So I guess my question is, although AU is racking up in recruiting "rankings," is this offense so dependent on a "type" of player that AU is pigeon-holing itself into the type of athlete it can recruit to effectively run this offense, thus making it difficult to put together the "perfect formula"?

As for the defensive side, I do find it a bit laughable that we as fans are frustrated now with 14-20 point defensive performances when I could swear in 2013-2014 we were lamenting "just hold them under 30 and we'll hang NC banners."  I realize this defense has holes, particularly in the secondary, but I thoroughly enjoy watching them every Saturday.  

And for final icing on the cake, our special teams snaps and punts give me massive nausea this year.  I don't know what/if there's an issue, but it sure is...exciting...to watch.

7 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

As for the defensive side, I do find it a bit laughable that we as fans are frustrated now with 14-20 point defensive performances when I could swear in 2013-2014 we were lamenting "just hold them under 30 and we'll hang NC banners."  I realize this defense has holes, particularly in the secondary, but I thoroughly enjoy watching them every Saturday.  

The defense did not play well. I'll say that first, but I agree.

Also, 7 points went to special teams, and I give another 7 to our offense for keeping the defense on the field.

13 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I know there are a lot of dumpster fire posts going on right now (as there should be, heck, I want to start 20 of them right now), but as to not clog the board with clones of the same topic, I figured I'd discuss something else I'm interested to get opinions on.  

Do people still "like" a Gus offense?  And I mean an Auburn OC Gus Malzahn offense.  I watch a lot of Pac-12 games because of family ties and I reminisce about the old 2004 AU West Coast offense probably way too much.  While once "revolutionary," this offense just seems so cumbersome, relying on a process to happen (wait for the DE to crash) instead of relying on instinct.  Personally, I miss things like a fullback, athletic tight ends, and 6'5 receivers.  

So I guess my question is, although AU is racking up in recruiting "rankings," is this offense so dependent on a "type" of player that AU is pigeon-holing itself into the type of athlete it can recruit to effectively run this offense, thus making it difficult to put together the "perfect formula"?

And for final icing on the cake, our special teams snaps and punts give me massive nausea this year.  I don't know what/if there's an issue, but it sure is...exciting...to watch.

I agree I’m tired of this Mickey Mouse ( and I apologize to the mouse for the comparison) offense. Tricks only work so long especially if you don’t change them. Run an offense where you can use the talent that we get at AU to go man to man and win.

I don't think many fans are frustrated with this years defense as a whole. Obviously there was some lack of execution in the secondary tonight.

Recruiting ranks are fake. Our OL has been a disaster all year. Just like it has been every year since Hand arrived.  We trot out a walk on kicker to play WE instead of our big body guys. We have a joke of a WR coach. We run one rb into the ground because Pett can't read the new zone blocking scheme. Still no use of the TE. And our FB can't do his one job, blocking. 

Clemson runs a Gus Malzahn offense, but they have evolved and improved the deficiencies.  That offense is one I would love at AU. That said, we are stale and predictable. We are unable to adjust and are incapable of improvement.

If up to me, I would want an offense like OU's over any other.

With no effective TE in blocking or receiving skills we almost have to be a 2 back offense.  Chips O is supposed to be RPO but since the Craig-Meyers pick I don’t think we have seen it.  Stidham isn’t remotely a dual threat QB and why we are having to motion behind the line so much.  We have young WRs being coach by a young coach who is like a big brother.  Have a TE coach that is a running back coach.  An offensive line coach that’s a cook that his teams have notoriously in the bottom of the country for tackles for a loss.

The spread with dual threat QB or with pass first philosophy still works the issue is you can’t do both.   You have to have an identity and our identity is run run pass in games that teams have equal talent.  

Nobody concerned that our 70% pass completer only completed  30% today......he was victim of some bad drops but  could easily have had 2 pick 6s.......that is really a bad day's work.

45 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

Have we've thrown a pass to our tight end at all this year???

The first play of the game... and the last play of the game. 

The first one was scripted. But a catching TE doesn't exist in a Gus offensive philosophy 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Clemson runs a Gus Malzahn offense, but they have evolved and improved the deficiencies.  That offense is one I would love at AU. That said, we are stale and predictable. We are unable to adjust and are incapable of improvement.

If up to me, I would want an offense like OU's over any other.

A wide open coordinator like those would kill it with our weapons. 

52 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

The first play of the game... and the last play of the game. 

The first one was scripted. But a catching TE doesn't exist in a Gus offensive philosophy 

Cannella was playing the Kyle Davis role in today's game. Also, does anyone know why Davis did not make the trip to Baton Rouge?

1 minute ago, aufan57 said:

Cannella was playing the Kyle Davis role in today's game. Also, does anyone know why Davis did not make the trip to Baton Rouge?

True. Again a TE doesn't exist in a Gus Offense. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Nobody concerned that our 70% pass completer only completed  30% today......he was victim of some bad drops but  could easily have had 2 pick 6s.......that is really a bad day's work.

All the pass plays were designed deep balls. Not first down rhythm pass plays.  Completion percentage has more to do with play calling than the player tonight.

15 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

I thought you were going to talk about Auburn's personnel, and how they were not utilized properly.

I had planned to go down that route honestly, but after my initial broad questions, became angry at the L again and lost heart to continue lol.  I urge you to pick up the baton and continue though!

6 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I had planned to go down that route honestly, but after my initial broad questions, became angry at the L again and lost heart to continue lol.  I urge you to pick up the baton and continue though!

I will try. Here is a few.... Kam Martin, Nate Craig-Myers,  Marquis McClain, Malik Miller, Anyone recruited at Tight End. The only tight end I have seen is my own while I am watching this stuff.

Just now, Farmer Brown said:

I will try. Here is a few.... Kam Martin, Nate Craig-Myers,  Marquis McClain, Malik Miller, Anyone recruited at Tight End. The only tight end I have seen is my own while I am watching this stuff.

Oh my mistake.  I thought you were going to talk about players currently on this roster.  I don't recognize anyone you've mentioned here....

Just now, aufan57 said:

The offense has failed to utilize the RB's in the passing game to the extend Lindsey has used them at previous jobs.

The head coach has instilled his philosophy of offense in Chip Lindsey, evidently.

I will give Gus a pass for playing Kerron.  The last couple of weeks, KJ has been playing well and seems to be durable.  Would I like see him spell KJ with KM, MM or DB?  Sure, but you have to admit, KJ has been getting the job done, particularly during the first quarter of tonight's game.

Now, for what I have been screaming about for the entire season, the passing game.  I am honestly baffled.  Are our wideouts just that bad (poor route running, dropped balls) or it is an issue with scheming?  Why no MOF passes?  Why is the TE position not being utilized?  These issues are at the top of the list for me.  Everyone else see it, why can't Gus?

And, I don't know what to say about Pettaway.  Evidently, his injuries have rendered him ineffective in the running game.

Yes I like Gus offense when it works. When it doesn't I just ask"why does he keep doing that "?  The lack of short and mid range passing that you MUST HAVE to convert 3rd downs is my gripe. Where are those?? 

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

Yes I like Gus offense when it works. When it doesn't I just ask"why does he keep doing that "?  The lack of short and mid range passing that you MUST HAVE to convert 3rd downs is my gripe. Where are those?? 

That's what is so concerning about this offense. We rely on blown coverages, missed tackles, and defensive miscues in order to rack up yards. 

When we are challenged offensively, we do not show any sort of creativity on offense. We don't have any simple slants or outs to keep the defense honest. 

It's just baffling. Year 5 in his job, you would think the so-called offensive genius would have added some wrinkles here and there.

Archived