17 consecutive first down runs

DyeCampAlum

I know there's a thread for every frustration right now. But this is how we lost today. 17 straight runs on first down.

I'd be shocked if Malzahn didn't dictate that outcome. And you have to know, LSU always has guys who will make big plays at unpredictable moments. So you just can't crawl into your shell, much less in Baton Rouge.

I do football for fun and don't get too upset over losses. But this was disgusting.

Just now, DyeCampAlum said:

I know there's a thread for every frustration right now. But this is how we lost today. 17 straight runs on first down.

I'd be shocked if Malzahn didn't dictate that outcome. And you have to know, LSU always has guys who will make big plays at unpredictable moments. So you just can't crawl into your shell, much less in Baton Rouge.

I do football for fun and don't get too upset over losses. But this was disgusting.

I just saw another thread that starts with the 17 issue. I did a search for "17" and couldn't find it. My apologies for repeating what was already out there.

Gus was asked about the 17 straight runs on first downs , and why he did not adjust to the defense.  Gus’ response was that they didn’t make enough 3rd down conversions to win the game.  What?  He didn’t even address why they kept running the ball up the middle when it wasn’t working.  And the reason they were having trouble converting 3rd downs is because they were long due to running it up the middle.

4 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

Gus was asked about the 17 straight runs on first downs , and why he did not adjust to the defense.  Gus’ response was that they didn’t make enough 3rd down conversions to win the game.  What?  He didn’t even address why they kept running the ball up the middle when it wasn’t working.  And the reason they were having trouble converting 3rd downs is because they were long due to running it up the middle.

:dunno:

Too predictable for too long with no willingness to adjust and trust staff and players.

KJ in WC, hum, I wonder what's coming? 

HUNH on 1st down, hum, I wonder what's coming? 

DB in for one play, hum, I wonder how they will use him here?

(Hint: think Cox wurly-bird pass against uat last year, after already showing your hand earlier! Yeah, that'll fool em! )

P.S. I won't even mention the Statue of Liberty, whirl about pass patterns! 

8 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

Did they ask him why they sat on it after going up 23-13? 17 runs is a part of that.. I just want someone to ask him why his strategy is so conservative when he gets a lead. I bet he doesn't do Tiger Talk this week. 

Gee, all we did the whole game was run up the middle and throw deep passes. 17 straight runs on first down....you think we became predictable? Why make the LSU DC's job any easier. Play safeties over the top and load the box, especially on first down. AND complain about not making any 3rd down conversions...We already know that, just tell us why and what U are going to do about it.

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Did they ask him why they sat on it after going up 23-13? 

they began to play not to lose and milk the clock when it they started to have to kick field goals

The Barrett play is the one that set me off more than any other. Sitting on the bench the whole game, and you put him in a 2-back set. LSU's safety had to be locked on the swing pass. Just locked on it.

Just now, DyeCampAlum said:

The Barrett play is the one that set me off more than any other. Sitting on the bench the whole game, and you put him in a 2-back set. LSU's safety had to be locked on the swing pass. Just locked on it.

Yep yep and yep.  Watching the game with 5 guys and we all said it at the same damn time.  

12 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Did they ask him why they sat on it after going up 23-13? 17 runs is a part of that.. I just want someone to ask him why his strategy is so conservative when he gets a lead. I bet he doesn't do Tiger Talk this week. 

They asked him about it in a round about way, but he just dodged the question 

15 minutes ago, auskull said:

Gee, all we did the whole game was run up the middle and throw deep passes. 17 straight runs on first down....you think we became predictable? Why make the LSU DC's job any easier. Play safeties over the top and load the box, especially on first down. AND complain about not making any 3rd down conversions...We already know that, just tell us why and what U are going to do about it.

It's time to stop asking him questions about this. The time now is to ask him how he thinks the next coach will retrain the players to expect anything different

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

In the 2nd half, Auburn had a total of 55 offensive yards.

Had 290 in first half. 55 is sad and pathetic.

30 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

It's time to stop asking him questions about this. The time now is to ask him how he thinks the next coach will retrain the players to expect anything different

Just a little tongue and cheek. I would have fired him last year. The thought of having him coach into the 6th year is unthinkable.

1. Gus should  never take his foot off the gas. Never sit on a lead. He is not good enough as a coach to do this. 

2. We only needed to score one damn TD in the 2nd half to win.. 

3. He has over stayed his welcome in Auburn. He must go. 

9 minutes ago, around4ever said:

17 straight runs on 1st down wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't the exact same play every time.  

Exactly!!! I wouldn’t be nearly as disgusted with this stat if he had thrown in other runs besides ones right up the freaking middle!!!!

19 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

1. Gus should  never take his foot off the gas. Never sit on a lead. He is not good enough as a coach to do this. 

One fg and we wouldn't have had to go for it on 4th down at our own 20. A punt there and we may have won. Just unreal to even think about. I predict if Gus isn't fired this week the locker room is lost 

I ask this question with a straight face. Do you think Gus wants to be fired? The play calling seems to indicate that he does.

Just now, WVR said:

I ask this question with a straight face. Do you think Gus wants to be fired? The play calling seems to indicate that he does.

No I do not believe he wants to be fired. I believe he thinks he is smarter than everyone else and he is very stubborn. He was scared to let Stidham make plays.. therefore the runs up the middle and throwing deep balls... He doesn't trust his QB.. He doesn't trust his receivers.. he started sitting on a lead in the 2nd qt. ?? what kind of idiot does that?  on the road none the less... your score and score again and keep scoring..you play to win the only time you let up is in the victory formation at the end of the game... 

56 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Yep. We only needed a touchdown+2 against Clemson, this year and last and a touchdown against UGA last two tries. 

He's got to go. 

Archived