17 consecutive first down runs

DyeCampAlum

Last week even after the weak second half I said I had jumped off the Gus Bus awhile back but the way we had been steadily improving I was thinking about getting back on. I was wrong last week. I am now not only not thinking about getting on the Gus Bus I am joining the group that wants to run the Gus Bus out of town. To me the turning point in the game was when we had the 4th and 1/2 yard for a first down at the 50 and Gus wouldn't go for it. I looked at my son and said we just lost this game he doesn't have faith that his offense can get 1/2 yard or that his defense can stop them from the fifty if we fail.

When the coach doesn't believe in his team you can't win.

2 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

Gus was asked about the 17 straight runs on first downs , and why he did not adjust to the defense.  Gus’ response was that they didn’t make enough 3rd down conversions to win the game.  What?  He didn’t even address why they kept running the ball up the middle when it wasn’t working.  And the reason they were having trouble converting 3rd downs is because they were long due to running it up the middle.

It actually tells you all you need to know.  He did not correctly process the question, just like he has consistently failed to process the fact that a tendency to do the same thing on first down is not a good thing.  Sometimes I really do feel like Gus is marching through life trying to play Chess with a deck of playing cards.

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Last week even after the weak second half I said I had jumped off the Gus Bus awhile back but the way we had been steadily improving I was thinking about getting back on. I was wrong last week. I am now not only not thinking about getting on the Gus Bus I am joining the group that wants to run the Gus Bus out of town. To me the turning point in the game was when we had the 4th and 1/2 yard for a first down at the 50 and Gus wouldn't go for it. I looked at my son and said we just lost this game he doesn't have faith that his offense can get 1/2 yard or that his defense can stop them from the fifty if we fail.

When the coach doesn't believe in his team you can't win.

I was concerned about the defense and how we got outscored in the second half last week. But this game was it for me. I was kind of relieved he didn't go for it on 4th and 1/2 yard  I do not believe we would have gotten it. ... Only two plays Gus would have considered to run.. KJ right back up the middle  or a 40 yard bomb.  Maybe KJ could have gotten it but he was stuffed on the prior play. 

I should add that the real problem is not that Gus is trying to play Chess with a deck of playing cards.  The problem is that he does not recognize that playing cards are not the right thing to play Chess with, but will not stop trying to use playing cards until I throw away my Chess board and use playing cards too.

I just watched Gus' post-game press conference performance.   Holy crap.

"Lack of 3rd down conversions..."  Really?!  If I had any respect left at all for the man, I'd feel embarrassed for him.

Gus Malzahn is an idiot who is stealing money from our beloved Auburn University. The sooner he's gone, the better off this team will be.

3 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I was concerned about the defense and how we got outscored in the second half last week. But this game was it for me. I was kind of relieved he didn't go for it on 4th and 1/2 yard  I do not believe we would have gotten it. ... Only two plays Gus would have considered to run.. KJ right back up the middle  or a 40 yard bomb.  Maybe KJ could have gotten it but he was stuffed on the prior play. 

I was not, and still am not, concerned about the defense.  This defense is more than enough to win if the offense is doing their job, and it is enough to keep the team in the game if the offense is not.  Failing to put points on the board in the second half against Clemson or LSU (and being outscored by Ole Miss) is not the defense's fault.  Scoring points is not their job, that belongs to the offense.

I also cannot blame the offensive players.  They showed up ready to play, but there is little they can do when the opposing defense develops ESP for prediction.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The worst part...17 consecutive runs on 2nd down too. >:(

"He'll break the big one this time, and they won't see it comin..."

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

I was not, and still am not, concerned about the defense.  This defense is more than enough to win if the offense is doing their job, and it is enough to keep the team in the game if the offense is not.  Failing to put points on the board in the second half against Clemson or LSU (and being outscored by Ole Miss) is not the defense's fault.  Scoring points is not their job, that belongs to the offense.

I also cannot blame the offensive players.  They showed up ready to play, but there is little they can do when the opposing defense develops ESP for prediction.

Both losses are squarely on Gus.. 

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

Is this true? Wow!

I know why anyone would be surprised, he's been doing this ever since he's been here. The only difference is he got away with it in 13 and 14

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

Is this true? Wow!

Sure felt like it.  If its not its pretty dang close and any outliers were due to a 40 yard post into double coverage.

10 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Is this true? Wow!

8 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I know why anyone would be surprised, he's been doing this ever since he's been here. The only difference is he got away with it in 13 and 14

Did you just respond to yourself within 2 minutes? That's approaching A4E level postings. 

:poke:

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Did you just respond to yourself within 2 minutes? That's approaching A4E level postings. 

Blasphemy.  Don’t insult A4E like that.  He would surely replied to himself in a totally different thread or actually reply to himself in a new thread created by himself 

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Did you just respond to yourself writhing 2 minutes? That's approaching A4E level postings. 

Haha yes I did on my phone and quoted the wrong comment. 

Archived