Okay, some levity

AURex

I'm as upset as everyone else. But let's at least try to overcome the emotional meltdown and look at what actually happened.

1. Auburn's defense really did not play well. I'm not talking about scheme. I'm talking about execution. Players way out of position, players making really hairbrained decision, huge numbers of missed tackles. This is not on the coaches. We know our guys can play better than this. Why did so many screw up so often? I don;t know the answer to that, but I am convinced it is not on the coaches. TRhe players just did not execute.

2. On offense, the receivers were not helping -- how many passes did they drop? I lost count -- but here we gotta credit the play-calling of the OC. It was obvious that LSU made adjustments at the half to shut down Kerryon, especially the wildcat. What was the plan for dealing with the adjustment, because we all KNEW it was coming. Even as an armchair watcher, I KNEW LSU woukd make adjustments to shut down Kerryon at the half. This is not rocket science! Is the failure to anticipate this and shift to a different strategy that would exploit their adjustments on Malzahn or Lindsey? And yet, a lot of the problem was execution, not play calling. If receivers catch the ball, if blocking assignments are executed .....

Unlike most people here, I'm putting the blame for this loss on execution by players in specific circumstances, not the coaches. Bad decisions, poor tackling, failure to carry out the assigned role, etc. You can say that's poor coaching, but at this point in the season, it isn't -- it shouldn't be happening, because the coaches have drilled the players on what they need to do.

Will Auburn survive this defeat? Well, we are going to find out how much resilience the team has. We are going to find out if these players (especially the receivers and the DBs) can get their act together and play SEC football. And we are going to find out is the coaches have any additional fairy dust to sprinkle.

If we are going to have levity, I will give an attempt.  But it will not be Auburn-related.  

Rex you make some fair points but 17 straight first down runs is terrible. 

I really do not see the difference between the offense we had at Clemson and the one we had at lsu. Just had a better running back. 

Run run throw the bomb 

“There was a certain formation that they were giving us,” LSU coach Ed Orgeron said. “It’s something we practiced all week, but we just weren’t getting it right. We were going to go to something that would have been different. We decided as a staff to get it fixed. We challenged our team to get it fixed and it worked"

When the other coach says this how is this on the team?  Its on the coach.  As usual the other team adjust and stops the offense and we don't.  Last week we lost to Old miss 21-9 in the second half.  Whatever this team starts the game with is what they end it with.

58 minutes ago, AURex said:

I'm as upset as everyone else. But let's at least try to overcome the emotional meltdown and look at what actually happened.

1. Auburn's defense really did not play well. I'm not talking about scheme. I'm talking about execution. Players way out of position, players making really hairbrained decision, huge numbers of missed tackles. This is not on the coaches. We know our guys can play better than this. Why did so many screw up so often? I don;t know the answer to that, but I am convinced it is not on the coaches. TRhe players just did not execute.

2. On offense, the receivers were not helping -- how many passes did they drop? I lost count -- but here we gotta credit the play-calling of the OC. It was obvious that LSU made adjustments at the half to shut down Kerryon, especially the wildcat. What was the plan for dealing with the adjustment, because we all KNEW it was coming. Even as an armchair watcher, I KNEW LSU woukd make adjustments to shut down Kerryon at the half. This is not rocket science! Is the failure to anticipate this and shift to a different strategy that would exploit their adjustments on Malzahn or Lindsey? And yet, a lot of the problem was execution, not play calling. If receivers catch the ball, if blocking assignments are executed .....

Unlike most people here, I'm putting the blame for this loss on execution by players in specific circumstances, not the coaches. Bad decisions, poor tackling, failure to carry out the assigned role, etc. You can say that's poor coaching, but at this point in the season, it isn't -- it shouldn't be happening, because the coaches have drilled the players on what they need to do.

Will Auburn survive this defeat? Well, we are going to find out how much resilience the team has. We are going to find out if these players (especially the receivers and the DBs) can get their act together and play SEC football. And we are going to find out is the coaches have any additional fairy dust to sprinkle.

I prefer REALITY. We are a minor league team with major league players in a major league conference.

1 hour ago, AURex said:

1. Auburn's defense really did not play well. I'm not talking about scheme. I'm talking about execution. Players way out of position, players making really hairbrained decision, huge numbers of missed tackles

The defense gave up 17 points. That is enough to win on the road. Basically they gave up two long plays by the secondary. Nick Ruffin didn't run fit properly (see why he is a backup) and Carlton Davis took a chance made missed on a ball. Those plays led to scores. 

This is on the s***ty offensive production of our coaching staff and special teams. Gave LSU free points and could not move the ball when the game was on the line. Both Gus and Stidham are mentally weak and it effects our entire offense. 

Execution by players?

Seriously? They were asked to execute 3 plays. KJ inside zone, KJ wildcat, all go. That's not on the players...at all.  The most ridiculous thing was when we were backed up on the goal line with KJ lined up Gun right. Everyone, including my 11 year old,  knew it was going to be a handoff in the middle to KJ.  

How is an 11 year old, sitting 5 hours away on a couch able to decipher the play(based solely on alignment)? Yes, he had helped me break down film and heard me talk about tendencies, but still, He is 11! Why can't we self scout ourselves? Answer...Gus sees no reason to.

Stat has pointed this out, but the defense is regressing.   If you couldn’t see it in the second half of the ole miss game, you weren’t paying attention.   Auburn gave up way too many 3rd and 10 plays today.  It kept LSU in the game.   The offense was horrible in the second half, but the defense should have been better 

13 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Stat has pointed this out, but the defense is regressing.   If you couldn’t see it in the second half of the ole miss game, you weren’t paying attention.   Auburn gave up way too many 3rd and 10 plays today.  It kept LSU in the game.   The offense was horrible in the second half, but the defense should have been better 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, AuMarine said:

This loss sits squarely on Gus shoulders... no one else... not a player.. not an assistant coach... GUS only. He has to go. 

This what he said in his presser. From SEC country...

"Ultimately, Malzahn wouldn’t say the play calling — which looked awfully similar to the big play-or-bust strategy in a 14-6 loss to Clemson in Week 2 — was its downfall in the second half."

The dude won't admit that he is the problem. Be a man and own up to your part in this loss. Be like Gundy at Oklahoma State, and be a man.

1. Receivers and Drops.  Missing Kyle hurt.  But our receivers have been off and on all year.  We forgot about Hastings in the second half.  I have no confidence in Kodi as a receivers coach.  But Gus had to hire a crony...

2. Defensive regression.  As we play better offenses, this is to be expected.  But in this game, our offense couldn't give the defense enough of a break.  Injuries hurt (literally and figuratively).  But again, Gus assumed his mule-like stubborn stupidity and we went downhill fast.

AU is the only team in the country with no 5-7 yard pass plays in the playbook. No slants, no crosses. No back-shoulder throws like the ones Syracuse just used against Clemson. Also- Can anyone tell me what a tight end is? Wait - don't answer that...

2 hours ago, AURex said:

It is not the players. It is the pride of one individual.

On 10/14/2017 at 10:28 PM, AU Counsel said:

We forgot about Hastings in the second half.

We didn't forget, LSU adjusted to him.  Hastings is only useful when he is a mismatch against a safety. Against SEC corners he is tiny, typically ineffective, and easily moved off his mark. Sad seeing him knocked down 2-3 times per game .

Archived