LSU Game Report Card

StatTiger

Game #7 Statistical Evaluation (LSU Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [3.43] fail
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs: [21.4%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush: [4.29] fail
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions: [35.7%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%: [35.7%] fail
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [6.35 yds] fail
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone: [100.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%: [33.3%] fail
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession: [25.2 yds] fail
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [48.6%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: [2 / 0] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps: [35.0] fail
13) At least 8 impact plays: 6 fail
14) At least 2 big plays: 2 pass
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3: [100.6] fail

*Minus 1 point for offensive collapse.

Score: 4 of 15 (26.7.0%) Fail

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [7.56] fail
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs: [35.3%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less: [4.02] fail
04) Score 1/3 of possessions or below: [33.3%] fail
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%: [41.7%] pass
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [8.24 yds] fail
07) Score below 75% inside red zone: [100.0%] pass
08) TD red zone below 60%: [66.7%] fail
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession: [30.2 yds] fail
10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [35.9%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6: [2/1] fail
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps: [32.0] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays: 6 pass
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: 4 fail
15) Pass rating below 125.0: [134.4] fail

Score: 5 of 15 (33.3%) Fail

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3): [40.0] fail
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [41.5] fail
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [4.0] fail
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [20.0] pass
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [19.5] fail
6) PAT’s (100%): [2 / 2] pass
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [3 /3] pass

Score: 3 of 7 (42.8%) Fail

* 50% is a passing score.

Since 1981, Auburn is now 94-3 in games the Tigers scored at least 23 points by halftime. Two of the losses have come under Gus Malzahn. During the same period (1981-2017), Auburn is now 90-7 in games Auburn scores at least 14 points during the first period. Six of the seven losses have come under Gus Malzahn's offense. After taking a 20-0 lead, Auburn had gained 232-yards on 25 snaps. During their next ten possessions, Auburn gained 122-yards on 45 plays. It was an epic collapse on offense, with questionable play-calling after Auburn scored 23 points. After attempting two passes on first down during Auburn's first possession of the game, the Tigers ran the ball 23 of their next 24 first down plays. Auburn gained 75-yards during those 24 first down snaps.

After completing 6 of his first eight passes for 146-yards and one touchdown, Jarrett Stidham finished the game, 3 of 18 for 19-yards. There was virtually no intermediate passing game as 14 of Stidham's 26 pass attempts was either a perimeter pass or a deep ball. Auburn continued their trend of failing to attack the middle of the field, something that came back to haunt them for the second time this season. Kerryon Johnson was the only bright spot on offense with a career-high of 31 carries. He gained 156-yards and scored his 13th touchdown of the season. Once again, Auburn failed to utilize Kam Martin or Devan Bennett in the running game, electing to give four carries to an injured Kamryn Pettway. With Kyle Davis out of the rotation this week, Chip Lindsey and Gus Malzahn failed to throw one ball at Nate Craig-Myers but targeted Sal Cannella four times.

The defense had another failing grade this week, giving up a season-high of four plays of 30-yards or more. Except for the mental errors and the big plays allowed, the Auburn defense played well enough to win the game if the Auburn offense had anything that resembled a pulse during the second-half. Auburn is playing better defense this year, but they are not an "elite" defense. The tackles for loss has diminished since the season opener, and they struggle forcing turnovers, which are hallmark signs of an elite defense. Injuries have hurt the defense, but everyone is dealing with injuries this far into the season. Auburn's bye-week cannot come soon enough, but the Tigers have one more road-game to struggle through before the extra time-off arrives.

Auburn is now 0-2 in games that go towards defining a season. The Clemson loss at the time was a little more tolerable considering it was on the road against the defending national champion. This loss to LSU was a "must-win" for the Auburn Tigers as they were catching an LSU team struggling and injured. Gus Malzahn could not stop the collapse after Auburn blew a 20-0 lead and appeared content with riding out the 23-14 lead at halftime. The players will be resilient enough to bounce back from a colossal failure but will the coaches? We have seen this before under Gus Malzahn, and there is nothing on the horizon to indicate it won't occur again. Running too much on first down and placing your QB in position to throw more on third down than first down. Ride one running back and leave other capable backs on the bench. No use of the tight end for three years now and failure to attack the middle of the field. There is more but the Auburn fanbase already knows the ongoing issues. The only person who has failed to recognize the shortcomings is the man calling all the shots. He had an opportunity to revamp the offense after letting Rhett Lashlee go but he decided to hire an offensive coordinator who was a grad-assistant just four years ago.

War Eagle!

Numbers don't lie! 

They also don't take one's fragile emotional state into consideration either! 

The OL has issues.   No mid range passing game.  Our coaches can't make any effective adjustments mid-game.   I am not sure how many more seasons Gus can get making the same mistakes over and over again.  He will win out minus UA and UGA, and the hampster wheel will start all over again next season.  

24 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

The OL has issues.   No mid range passing game.  Our coaches can't make any effective adjustments mid-game.   I am not sure how many more seasons Gus can get making the same mistakes over and over again.  He will win out minus UA and UGA, and the hampster wheel will start all over again next season.  

I don't see us beating A&M.  Bama and UGA will be really, really ugly.

This should be a fired becore you get home type performance.  Gus is arrogant, stubborn, and incapable of any adaptation. Cut out the parasite and save the host.

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This should be a fired becore you get home type performance.  Gus is arrogant, stubborn, and incapable of any adaptation. Cut out the parasite and save the host.

The move is needed now, it will benefit the program in all ways, including recruiting.  The longer we wait the tougher the transition, IMO.

I have literally been thinking since the game was over how to express what I'm feeling about all of this and I just can't put it into words right now.  Plus everyone else has basically said all there is to say.  I spent this week transitioning from full on Gus is on the ropes to having some hope this season could turn out great...welp.  I still have no words of my own right now.  It makes me wish I didn't care about football.  And I hate that because I have so many good memories and feelings about Auburn autumns and being around friends and family and enjoying AU football.  But Gus has sucked all that out of it for me.  Now, I just want the season to be over and we will see where we are. 

15 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The move is needed now, it will benefit the program in all ways, including recruiting.  The longer we wait the tougher the transition, IMO.

100% agree.

3 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Now, I just want the season to be over and we will see where we are. 

Kind a where I'm at. I can't wait to see who we get to come in next.  We have so much talent, even a mediocre coach could get us to the sec championship or beyond.  

15 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I agree but I just don't see us firing a coach who is currently 5-2 and 3-1 in the SEC.  He will finish the year and then we will see what happens.  Also have to get the JJ situation settled. 

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Kind a where I'm at. I can't wait to see who we get to come in next.  We have so much talent, even a mediocre coach could get us to the sec championship or beyond.  

I just hope we don't have a mass exodus of players and recruits. 

Glad to see your post, Stat.  I was worried a combination of the analysis of this game, drinking, and proximity to your gun might be a perfect storm for self inflicted wounds...then again, self-inflicted wounds are the story of Gus Malzahn's tenure as Auburn's head coach.

28 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I agree but I just don't see us firing a coach who is currently 5-2 and 3-1 in the SEC.  He will finish the year and then we will see what happens.  Also have to get the JJ situation settled. 

3-1 in the SEC but really the 3 wins against the 3 out 5 worst teams in conference, the loss to a team that lost to Troy 2 weeks ago at home.

Just now, auburnphan said:

3-1 in the SEC but really the 3 wins against the 3 out 5 worst teams in conference, the loss to a team that lost to Troy 2 weeks ago at home.

Oh yeah I agree with you but the PTB wouldn't have the balls to do it in the middle of the season.  Because of the media bias in this state AU has been painted as firing coaches too quick.  I think he should be locked out of the athletic complex TONIGHT but we will have to wait til late November after bama curb stomps us again. 

3 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Oh yeah I agree with you but the PTB wouldn't have the balls to do it in the middle of the season.  Because of the media bias in this state AU has been painted as firing coaches too quick.  I think he should be locked out of the athletic complex TONIGHT but we will have to wait til late November after bama curb stomps us again. 

I was told Gus could not afford to lose a winnable game, but they were hazy on if he would be out immediately, said it depended on the game lost.   There is a bit more but that will play itself out.

Archived