Coach O says after game he out-schemed Gus

ChaddScott

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Carlton will get drafted high because he has great measurables, but he is going to have to mentally get involved at the next level if he wants a long career. Players not finishing plays. I watched Jeff Holland literally stop in pursuit. Talent can only get you so far. IMO, it is up to the coaches to call that crap out. After that, it is up to the players. Some of these guys need to be chewed out. 

Also why was Holland falling down so much when he’d shed the block in a pass rush?  I know I saw him go down 3 times as he broke through the block.   And no I won’t rewatch this game to see for myself.  Lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, corchjay said:

Also why was Holland falling down so much when he’d shed the block in a pass rush?  I know I saw him go down 3 times as he broke through the block.   And no I won’t rewatch this game to see for myself.  Lol

I have no idea. Like I said the talent is there, but the players are making boneheaded plays...lining up in the neutral zone? A lot of these guys will get drafted, but they aren't getting coached up either. It is legitimate talent that is taking them this far. The reason WH is our best WR is that he played at Pulaski Academy, which is known for their spread offensive prowess. They are very fundamental in terms of football because they truly have to be. Players have to get after it, but coaches need to light that fire. I don't see it. I see it when Dabo or Mike Leech loses. No one likes to lose...but I see pride in our coach's eyes.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I have no idea. Like I said the talent is there, but the players are making boneheaded plays...lining up in the neutral zone? A lot of these guys will get drafted, but they aren't getting coached up either. It is legitimate talent that is taking them this far. The reason WH is our best WR is that he played at Pulaski Academy, which is known for their spread offensive prowess. They are very fundamental in terms of football because they truly have to be. Players have to get after it, but coaches need to light that fire. I don't see it. I see it when Dabo or Mike Leech loses. No one likes to lose...but I see pride in our coach's eyes.

Gus is happy with a 9 point lead at half.  Saban is usually pissed with a 30 point win if mistakes are made.  There is the difference in the two coaches and their results. 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Gus is happy with a 9 point lead at half.  Saban is usually pissed with a 30 point win if mistakes are made.  There is the difference in the two coaches and their results. 

Yes. I always get blasted for making these references but this is just the case. Dabo is like that as well. They can be up by 40 but if the DB takes the wrong angle or WR makes the wrong cut, those guys go balistic..not because they are jerks, but because they understand, you have to be mentally strong 60 minutes in.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes. I always get blasted for making these references but this is just the case. Dabo is like that as well. They can be up by 40 but if the DB takes the wrong angle or WR makes the wrong cut, those guys go balistic..not because they are jerks, but because they understand, you have to be mentally strong 60 minutes in.

Yeah just wait, at some point you will get blasted by Mikey for comparing us to UAt and being critical of Gus. 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Yeah just wait, at some point you will get blasted by Mikey for comparing us to UAt and being critical of Gus. 

Well, he is a genius and his offense at AU holds so many records...

7 hours ago, ChaddScott said:

When the dopiest coach in the SEC out-schemes Gus and is brazen enough to tell the media about it after the game, you've got a problem. We have a problem.

Read this: http://gridironnow.com/did-certain-formation-doom-gus-malzahn-auburn-loss/

Like so many other games with Gus as our HC...he just doesn't want it bad enough to finish it. 

dac.gif

You know the key to beating Auburn?  Stop the run and force Stidham to throw.  Why?  Bc Gus will keep trying to run and make Stidham only throw on 3rd down.  The more I think about the Bama and UGA games the more I think they are going to annihilate Auburn. 

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's too simple. They'd see it coming...

This loss pisses me off so badly. Pure filth from Gus. Ineptitude personified.

Agree, and I'm usually measured in my critiques, but yesterday was rubbish! 

It's one thing to run an O, but quite another to attack a D.

It's one thing to have an O scheme, but quite another to scheme against the D and what they are doing, a little something called adjustments.!

Also, like having an OC and actually having an OC.

1 hour ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

The more I think about the Bama and UGA games the more I think they are going to annihilate Auburn. 

They are going to destroy AU -- bammer especially.  Get ready for it.  It's going to be ugly.

4 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

They are going to destroy AU -- bammer especially.  Get ready for it.  It's going to be ugly.

I’ve been ready.  I don’t think Auburn scores even a field goal against Bama.  I think Bama scores 40 against Auburn.  And Auburn gets shut out. 

If yesterday’s collapse hasn’t resulted in the firing of CGM already, then I’m afraid it will take the embarrassment that will be losses to uga and uat to finally get it done. Why do we have to wait until then? I think we all know the answer, the light bulb isn’t much brighter in the AD’s office...

This game seemed more like Gus outschemed coach O in how to intentionally lose a game. This is getting reminiscent of Bowden running up the guy every play on 3rd and 10. I think Bowden wanted out and now so does Gus. No other explanation makes any sense. No way anyone with a brain runs it 17 times in a row on first down with the game on the line. Heck we were still doing with a 2 point lead. The only way it could have been more intentional was if we did it down by 1. Hell even when we were down by 1 with 2 minutes left at our own 20, we were going play action!  EVERYONE IN THE STADIUM KNEW WE WERE PASSING. THE ONLY REASON TO PA THERE IS TO HURT YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.  I seriously wonder if this was intentional. Get up big to prove what you are capable of and then sabotage the game. I can't fathom any other possibility. 

That begs the next question, what would he be trying to get away from?  JJ?  Dye?  Other PTB?  All of the above? I'm sure someone on the inside could shed some light. There has to be some kind of turmoil behind the scenes somewhere. 

And on and on we go. Guys this is melt down mode much like 2012, before GM was hired. Total disarray on the board at this point. 

Remember when LSU embarrassed themselves against Troy and Joe Alleva (AD) called an all-hands meeting with the football staff:  

"It was a gut-check meeting," Dellenger's source said. "It was more that guys need to look each other in the eye and tell each other how it is."

THAT's how you lead a tough man's sport.    You call each other out, face-to-face, and commit to excellence as best you can.    Can you in your wildest dreams imagine JJ calling a meeting like this and Gus agreeing to it to hash things out?     There is such a feeling of softness around AU athletics.   Its sick and disGUSting!     It isn't going to change until we get tough men in charge.   Get JJ out by Halloween and get GUS out minutes after the IB shellacking and get some people in who strive for championships and won't back down. 

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

They don't need to worry about it because we don't have any routes that exploit the vacated MOF.

Oh look, they're constantly blitzing both ILB. What should we do? Slip a TE in behind them? Run a slant behind them? Nah...lets keep running right into the blitz! Yeah, that's it!

Bird, I was looking for what you are talking about the whole game and never saw it applied, not even ONCE!!! The worst called game I have ever seen. Are you saying there are no plays ie, slants or MOF in our repertoire? That is insane. God help us.

WDE

5 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

Bird, I was looking for what you are talking about the whole game and never saw it applied, not even ONCE!!! The worst called game I have ever seen. Are you saying there are no plays ie, slants or MOF in our repertoire? That is insane. God help us.

WDE

It was the whirleybird Clemson game. Then Gus topped that with the can't pass UGA game. Well, he topped himself again. Yesterday was literally the worst called game that I've ever seen.  There are no words to describe the inane display we witnessed. Pathetic.

When you are going up against one of the best D-Coordinators in the league you have to have multiple game plans because you know damn well he is gonna adjust his defense and be prepared for the adjustments.

Archived