Once again

johnnyAU

Once again Gus chokes away a big lead and loses a huge game because he lets off the gas and goes into conservative "coaching not to lose" mode.

Once again Gus goes from what's working (passing the ball on first down,  allowing the QB to find some semblance of rhythm) to the "tried and failed" approach of running on 1st down (17 straight times--predominantly between the tackles--and likely averaging 1 yd or less) and taking the ball out of a very capable QB's hands with stubborn reliance on the Wildcat.

Once again we fail to effectively use the RB's in the passing game.

Once again we see no carries for Malik Miller, Devan Barrett or Kam Martin.

Once again we have zero combined passes to NCM, Kyle Davis or Marquis McClain.

Once again we fail to utilize the middle 3rd of the field in the passing game.

Once again we fail to find a short or intermediate passing game, including the use of check downs.

Once again we continue to put our QB in tough spots by continually running on 1st and 2nd down, and forcing him to throw in obvious passing situations. 

Once again our WR's do not get separation, other than the one pattern by Hastings. 

Once again our DB's make a below average QB look like a Heisman candidate. 

Once again we show we are more likely to stop a team on 3rd and 2 or less than we are on 3rd and 10 or more. It has become ridiculous. 

Once again we go into a statement game that would put us in a good position in the West, only to have Gus coach us out of it by mid October. 

Once again we make zero counter adjustments to the adjustments made by the opposing team's D. 

Once again we waste a pretty good D overall, a very talented roster on O, one of, if not the, best WR recruiting classes we've ever had, and the best gunslinger we've had since Jason Campbell.

Once again we realize Gus hasn't given Lindsey the keys.  Chip's just sitting in the seat while Malzahn steers it via remote control. 

Once again, we realize....the indians aren't the problem....it's the Chief.

3 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Once again Gus chokes away a big lead and loses a huge game because he lets off the gas and goes into conservative "coaching not to lose" mode.

Once again Gus goes from what's working (passing the ball on first down,  allowing the QB to find some semblance of rhythm) to the "tried and failed" approach of running on 1st down (17 straight times--predominantly between the tackles--and likely averaging 1 yd or less) and taking the ball out of a very capable QB's hands with stubborn reliance on the Wildcat.

Once again we fail to effectively use the RB's in the passing game.

Once again we see no carries for Malik Miller, Devan Barrett or Kam Martin.

Once again we have zero combined passes to NCM, Kyle Davis or Marquis McClain.

Once again we fail to utilize the middle 3rd of the field in the passing game.

Once again we fail to find a short or intermediate passing game, including the use of check downs.

Once again we continue to put our QB in tough spots by continually running on 1st and 2nd down, and forcing him to throw in obvious passing situations. 

Once again our WR's do not get separation, other than the one pattern by Hastings. 

Once again our DB's make a below average QB look like a Heisman candidate. 

Once again we show we are more likely to stop a team on 3rd and 2 or less than we are on 3rd and 10 or more. It has become ridiculous. 

Once again we go into a statement game that would put us in a good position in the West, only to have Gus coach us out of it by mid October. 

Once again we make zero counter adjustments to the adjustments made by the opposing team's D. 

Once again we waste a pretty good D overall, a very talented roster on O, one of, if not the, best WR recruiting classes we've ever had, and the best gunslinger we've had since Jason Campbell.

Once again we realize Gus hasn't given Lindsey the keys.  Chip's just sitting in the seat while Malzahn steers it via remote control. 

Once again, we realize....the indians aren't the problem....it's the Chief.

100% agreed.  

So sad to admit but it's accurate.  Drives me up the wall how year in and out we make average QB's look amazing. As well as we can't stop a 3rd and long ever. Or using the middle of the field for our quality receivers, or giving  Kam Martin the ball more often ( Kid is a playmaker).  Or why our offense seems to get worse every single second half?  

Gus said "it's not the end of the world"  He's right it's not, but it was a game Auburn should have won!  A game Auburn needed to win, A game for the fans who haven't seen a win in 17 years in LSU, A game to put heat on Alabama. I game that would have put us in the top 5 probably if we had won.  

Gus letting off the gas should not shock anyone. He's been doing that since he's Auburn's head coach. Think back to 2013 when we were ahead 21-3 to Florida State in the 1st half.

We got almost no pressure on their below average QB. Very few blitzes, very few sacks. As a result, we made Danny Etling look like Joe Montana. WTF does that? >:(

1 hour ago, Dan-0 said:

We got almost no pressure on their below average QB. Very few blitzes, very few sacks. As a result, we made Danny Etling look like Joe Montana. WTF does that? >:(

No doubt. Defense needs to finish games as well. Same thing happened last week v Ole Miss. We should have had two or three more sacks that game but coulldn't get him to the ground . Defense still has work to do. 

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

No doubt. Defense needs to finish games as well. Same thing happened last week v Ole Miss. We should have had two or three more sacks that game but coulldn't get him to the ground . Defense still has work to do. 

All true and the D bears some responsibility in the loss.  However, our offensive performances in these big games put a ton of pressure on the D to be near perfect and no defense, even bama's, is going to be perfect.  Even an average 2nd half offensive performance wins that game yesterday and how many times have we said that in the last 3 years?  So much frustration I can't even see straight. 

1 hour ago, auburnpride99 said:

100% agreed.  

So sad to admit but it's accurate.  Drives me up the wall how year in and out we make average QB's look amazing. As well as we can't stop a 3rd and long ever. Or using the middle of the field for our quality receivers, or giving  Kam Martin the ball more often ( Kid is a playmaker).  Or why our offense seems to get worse every single second half?  

Gus said "it's not the end of the world"  He's right it's not, but it was a game Auburn should have won!  A game Auburn needed to win, A game for the fans who haven't seen a win in 17 years in LSU, A game to put heat on Alabama. I game that would have put us in the top 5 probably if we had won.  

I still can't believe he said "it's not the end of the world ." Its his job to coach every game like it's the end of the world . He is getting paid tons of money to coach football . Gus it weak , and it showed in his players mentality near the end of the game . Wasn't there , but heard multiple times our bench was pretty much dead towards the end . 

You teach players to play every play like it's your last and then you go out and say that . We all know it's really not the end of the world cause there are more important things in life then football but him saying that has a tone that it doesn't mean enough. 

1 minute ago, bmartin3228 said:

I still can't believe he said "it's not the end of the world ." Its his job to coach every game like it's the end of the world . He is getting paid tons of money to coach football . Gus it weak , and it showed in his players mentality near the end of the game . Wasn't there , but heard multiple times our bench was pretty much dead towards the end . 

I think what he was referring to when he said “it’s not the end of the world”, is he has a buy out and Kristi and the family will be OK, so it’s not the end of the world.  You might have misinterpreted his comment.

14 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

All true and the D bears some responsibility in the loss.  However, our offensive performances in these big games put a ton of pressure on the D to be near perfect and no defense, even bama's, is going to be perfect.  Even an average 2nd half offensive performance wins that game yesterday and how many times have we said that in the last 3 years?  So much frustration I can't even see straight. 

I'm with you

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I think what he was referring to when he said “it’s not the end of the world”, is he has a buy out and Kristi and the family will be OK, so it’s not the end of the world.  You might have misinterpreted his comment.

I guess I did , didn't watch interview or anything just saw the quote. 

6 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

I guess I did , didn't watch interview or anything just saw the quote. 

I was in a hurry and forgot to add this :drippingsarcasm7pa:  

Guest WarEagleSteve

It's another game under Gus where Auburn shows a complete and utter lack of killer instinct and ZERO understanding of the importance of confidence and momentum in a game. I had a sinking feeling that Auburn was going to lose at halftime. We squandered all of our early momentum and LSU smelled the proverbial "blood in the water". This is the THIRD (at least) game I can think of where Auburn jumped all over a quality opponent early and then failed to put them away when it had the chance.  Up 21-3 in the first half against FSU in 2013 and allowed them to get back in it with an ultra-conservative third quarter. 2014 Iron Bowl, Auburn drives inside Alabama's 10 yard line and comes away with nine points. Builds a 12 point lead in the second half and can't hang on to it. Auburn is never going to beat good teams with Gus at the controls. Period. 

40 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

You teach players to play every play like it's your last and then you go out and say that . We all know it's really not the end of the world cause there are more important things in life then football but him saying that has a tone that it doesn't mean enough. 

The issue is Gus is so prideful that he is willing to do it his way, even if it means he will get fired. That is all that comment showed me besides his demeanor.  

Archived