Scale of 1-10, Rate the Appeal of the AU HC Job

Gowebb11

On a scale of 1-10 what do you consider the current appeal of the AU head coaching job to be? State your case using facts rather than emotions. I'll hang up and listen. 

0/10 your two main rivals are currently in the top 5 in the nation, and if you don't beat them every other year or so you'll lose the fan base and get fired. If I was an up and coming HC I wouldn't touch Auburn with a 10 ft pole. 

Can't wait for Rhett Lashlee to be HC next year...

I say its still a 6 at worst.  We can pay top dollar so that's always a big appeal.  Money talks.  We have a history of winning even if it's not a bama type history.  We have good facilities, great alumni and fans and Auburn is a nice place to raise a family.   I keep hearing the notion that coaches don't want to come here with the challenge of uga and uat but the Auburn people I know and are close to are like me in that we are not asking for someone to come here and thump those 2 teams every year.  My son and I discussed it last night and right now if you told me we could get a coach who over a 6 year period would win 10 plus games 3 times, have no 7-5 or worse seasons, win 1 SEC title and be in contention most of those years for the West, go no worse than 2-4 against bama (as long as Saban is there, when he leaves we should expect no worse than .500) and 3-3 against UGA I would take that in a heartbeat.  I really think the majority of Auburn fans and alumni are much more reasonable than some think.  I'm not mad at Gus for losing to bama.  I'm mad at Gus because of games like last night and games like Clemson, and UGA last year, and I could go on and on. 

I'd say 7 outta 10, atp. AD is in shambles, but we still have all the resources to compete for championships. I'd say we're only competing with a&m for the best coaching candidates. 

5 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I'd say 7 outta 10, atp. AD is in shambles, but we still have all the resources to compete for championships. I'd say we're only competing with a&m for the best coaching candidates. 

This is where I stand too. Problem is TAMU is looking more attractive with each game that is played.

9 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Agree. I think it could be bumped to eight or nine if we find a top notch AD. 

40 minutes ago, aubalum16 said:

0/10 your two main rivals are currently in the top 5 in the nation, and if you don't beat them every other year or so you'll lose the fan base and get fired. If I was an up and coming HC I wouldn't touch Auburn with a 10 ft pole. 

Can't wait for Rhett Lashlee to be HC next year...

He said not by emotion 

I will say 9.   Top $ for head coaches plus we pay assistants extremely well.   Within 200 miles you probably have the most fertile recruiting area in the country.  Facilities.  Ability to win championships.  

Leath has an opportunity to make the HC job at Auburn at least a 9, but he has to get rid of the current AD now.  The new AD has to be in place by mid November and he has to be a superstar.  Then the coaching search will start, whether public or not, and conclude in time as to give a boost to recruiting.  This is an optimistic timeline, for sure, but Leath needs to act now.

42 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Doesn’t look like we’ll have to compete with A&M at this point.

Plusses- Big salary, excellent pay for assistants, good(not great) facilities, excellent recruiting base, good tradition and fan base.

Minuses- 2 biggest rivals are at the top of their game, a reputation of too many chefs in the kitchen regarding football matters, facilities need to be upgraded to compete with top rival schools.

A solid 7 seems about right. The right guy could turn facilities to all positive, WDE has said money is there for the right guy to lead the way.

1 minute ago, CR said:

Plusses- Big salary, excellent pay for assistants, good(not great) facilities, excellent recruiting base, good tradition and fan base.

Minuses- 2 biggest rivals are at the top of their game, a reputation of too many chefs in the kitchen regarding football matters, facilities need to be upgraded to compete with top rival schools.

A solid 7 seems about right. The right guy could turn facilities to all positive, WDE has said money is there for the right guy to lead the way.

To think that we could have used all that money spent on that dumb scoreboard to make upgrades to our training facilities...:-\

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I will say 9.   Top $ for head coaches plus we pay assistants extremely well.   Within 200 miles you probably have the most fertile recruiting area in the country.  Facilities.  Ability to win championships.  

I agree with your points, but I'd say 8/10 is our ceiling atp. I'd add we have loads of talent on the roster, especially if the new coach can rally key guys to stick around.

Saban ain't retiring anytime soon and frankly Kirby is building another juggernaut in Athens. It's no secret that a new coach will basically have 2 or 3 years to compete with and beat these two rivals. That's a tough sitch to step in to. 

Depends on the perspective. Given the state of things, it looks pretty bleak. On the other hand, a right-minded guy might see a big opportunity to come in and change the culture. 

Regardless, JJ remaining cannot be part of the package.

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

^To be fair, I don’t think Georgia will be as good next year as this year. But they will continue to be a force, no doubt.

Then your simply not paying attention to the work Kirby is doing.

Honestly it depends on the coach and how that coach perceives Auburn.  Depending who the coach is Auburn is either an 8 or 9.  The best schools in the eyes of most coaches are schools that are alone in a state have a history of success, a large fan base and rich boosters.  LSU, Georgia (because Tech is not a recruiting threat ever), Bama, Texas, aTm (because Texas and Florida are such large states their is enough talent to share between the two programs) , Nebraska, FSU, Florida, Clemson, Oklahoma, USC, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan are the most desired jobs.  Auburn, Arkansas, OK State, Tennessee, Oregon, Wisconsin, Mississippi, Miami, Virginia Tech are all in the next tier.  Auburn is perceived like this, always second to Alabama in the perception of people in Alabama.  Currently in 24-7 competition with Saban which 90% of coaches don't want to deal since Saban also will have a 10+ year head start on you if you take the Bama job.  Georgia will always be #1 in Georgia, with Auburn usually being a distant second.  Auburn is kind of considered the program without a state.Kriby Smart wanted the Auburn job but Jacobs was never going to give it to him.  A LOT of coaches couldn't comprehend how Chizik was ever hired, which in turn made Auburn unattractive to some coaches.  They just don't want to have to deal with the good ole boy network. 

32 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I agree with Corch.  I think the Auburn job is definately a "9" for the reasons he stated we just need to stop hiring "5" HCs and settling for a "3" AD to make the final decision.  We could have had Kirby he was right there for the taking at the time but we went for the "guru" who soon lost his mojo.  We have a great defensive staff right now and plenty of talent on offense and defense.  We just have someone trying to run the show who can't get the job done.  It is particularly disheartening to see other teams make halftime adjustments to beat us while we seem to consistently go in the toilet after halftime.  Couldn't even make a first down yesterday in the second half.  Just a pathetic coaching job and we can do better.  

51 minutes ago, AUwent said:

^To be fair, I don’t think Georgia will be as good next year as this year. But they will continue to be a force, no doubt.

5, maybe 6. As long as Gus is at Auburn and Smart is at Georgia they will continue to be better than us. I am finally realizing that we are doomed to mediocrity with Gus. I knew it was looming but was hoping this year was different. It is not. 7-8 wins will be the best he will ever do at Auburn. I'm no head coach but I think I could have given Auburn a better chance to win after a 20 point lead than Gus. He coaches dumb. Bear Bryant once said he could take his players and beat you or he could take your players and beat his. I think Gus could take Bama's players and lose. Auburn can win but it will take a house cleaning. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

This is where I stand too. Problem is TAMU is looking more attractive with each game that is played.

TAMU is in an intersteing situation. Their roster is absolutely loaded with freshman and sophomores and Mond is an emerging star. If Sumlin doesn't lay a massive egg down the stretch, he may just be allowed to stay. 

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

As long a Jay Jacobs is the AD, it is a 5 or less.  With a competent AD, at least a 7.

wde

There are coaches that have never been to Auburn but have heard about what a pain Jacobs is.

Archived