Up 20-0, here's the play chart

DyeCampAlum

My football hypocrisy is about fun. I don't actually get upset about stuff. But with about 2 million Auburn fans I'm pretty upset. Here are Auburn's play calls after taking a 20-0 lead.

Pettway for 1

KJohnson for 5

Incomplete 

Punt

Pettway for 1

Pettway for 5

INC

Punt

KJ for 9

KJ for 10

KJ for 4

Pass for 15

KJ for 4

KJ for 3

Stove for 3

KJ for -1

INC

field goal 23-7

Last play of half KJ for 7

Pettway for 3

Stidham no gain

Pass for 6, penalty, first down

Stove for 4

KJ for 6

Pettway for -2

INC

INC

Punt

KJ for 6

INC

Sack

Punt

KJ for 3

KJ for 2

INC 

Punt, now up 23-21

KJ for 4

KJ for 4

Stove for 8

KJ for 4

KJ for 5

KJ for 0

Punt on 4th and half a foot

KJ for 1

INC

Stidham scrambles for 4

Punt

Now behind 24-23

That's 17 straight running plays on first down, once Auburn was up 20-0. A few jet sweeps mixed in.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumb is a bad way to coach. Dumb and stubborn is worse. Dumb, stubborn, and blind is what we have leading our team.

I could not stop thinking about this game. It's tormenting me. We lost, okay, but it's how we lose that bothers me to no end.

It's practically laughable at how pathetic and putrid this was. This was truly beyond any comprehension. 

It was like being stuck in quicksand. You know what's going, yet you could do nothing but be helplessly suffering a slow, agonizing death. It's bizarre on how we completely went in a shell.

This game is going to haunt me until Gus is gone. We've had games where we just shook our heads in amazement, but this game flatly is the nail in the coffin for me. Even if we pull out a win against Georgia or Bama, I'm still over with him. I just cannot enjoy football with Malzahn on sidelines.

5 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

I could not stop thinking about this game. It's tormenting me. We lost, okay, but it's how we lose that bothers me to no end.

It's practically laughable at how pathetic and putrid this was. This was truly beyond any comprehension. 

It was like being stuck in quicksand. You know what's going, yet you could do nothing but be helplessly suffering a slow, agonizing death. It's bizarre on how we completely went in a shell.

This game is going to haunt me until Gus is gone. We've had games where we just shook our heads in amazement, but this game flatly is the nail in the coffin for me. Even if we pull out a win against Georgia or Bama, I'm still over with him. I just cannot enjoy football with Malzahn on sidelines.

Great post!  

7 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

I wonder if the possibility however remote that we could beat one of those 2 and Gus could save his job has the PTB thinking they need to make a move earlier.  I couldn't see Gus being fired during the season until I thought about this possibility.  An upset loss to Arky might do it or an embarrassing loss to A&M could do it also. 

17 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

My football hypocrisy is about fun. I don't actually get upset about stuff. But with about 2 million Auburn fans I'm pretty upset. Here are Auburn's play calls after taking a 20-0 lead.

Pettway for 1

KJohnson for 5

Incomplete 

Punt

Pettway for 1

Pettway for 5

INC

Punt

KJ for 9

KJ for 10

KJ for 4

Pass for 15

KJ for 4

KJ for 3

Stove for 3

KJ for -1

INC

field goal 23-7

Pettway for 3

Stidham no gain

Stove for 4

KJ for 6

Pettway for -2

INC

INC

Punt

KJ for 6

INC

Sack

Punt

KJ for 3

KJ for 2

INC 

Punt, now up 23-21

KJ for 4

KJ for 4

Stove for 8

KJ for 4

KJ for 5

KJ for 0

Punt on 4th and half a foot

KJ for 1

INC

Stidham scrambles for 4

Punt

Now behind 24-23

That's 17 straight running plays on first down, once Auburn was up 20-0. A few jet sweeps mixed in.

I have no words for this.  :banghead:

5 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

this

It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. We ALL saw it coming, I knew when we

kicked the second field goal that Auburn would lose. Gus thought the game was won at halftime and the players were probably told as much

No killer instinct, no intensity, just coast to the finish. As Gus said I feel good where we are at with a 9 point lead.

Wow just wow

7 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Exactly. 

Everyone knew we were going to lose the game somewhere around the start of the 4th quarter. Sad when there's a whole quarter left, and you are still winning a football game, but know with virtual certainty that you are going to lose because of coaching. 

I have no clue how he has a job this morning. It should be obvious to everyone that Gus will not survive this season. No sense in dragging it out. 

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Dumb is a bad way to coach. Dumb and stubborn is worse. Dumb, stubborn, and blind is what we have leading our team.

Yep. Gus is not n a good spot atm and that is all I am going to say on this matter. Winning out which is very unlikely or beating UGA and close loss to bama is only way I see this staying the current path. That was the worst loss this decade for Auburn football. The title game is the most important loss of the decade but this is the worst. We have top 5 talent and we're up by 20 early in the 2nd quarter. I was very surprised that our defense let Danny E play the best game of the year. Our leader got hurt in the 1st quarter on defense or one of then and the other has been hurt most of year. Also Daniel Thomas has to catch the int and put the game away before half. The defense only gave up 17 though and are injured and have given their all this year. I don't see the team quitting on Gus, but he just screwed up and believe me he knows it. The worst call of the game in my opinion was punting on 4th and 1 at the 50 in the 4th quarter when we were leading by 2. We have a walk on punter who is not very good at all.  Kerryon would have gotten a 1st and we would have put the game away with a fg. KJ was getting 5 yards a run during that series minus the 3rd down run. Also Kodi Burns (which I hate calling out coaches especially an Auburn man) needs to be let go today imo. The wr can't catch and they aren't prepared for anything except how to block. Gus gambled and chose his path. 

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Yep. Gus is not n a good spot atm and that is all I am going to say on this matter. Winning out which is very unlikely with bama playing like they are and be safe. That was the worst loss this decade for Auburn football. The title game is the most important loss of the decade but this is the worst. We have top 5 talent and we're up by 20 early in the 2nd quarter. I was very surprised that our defense let Danny E play the best game of the year. Our leader got hurt in the 1st quarter on defense or one of then and the other has been hurt most of year. Also Daniel Thomas has to catch the int and put the game away before half. The defense only gave up 17 though and are injured and have given their all this year. I don't see the team quitting on Gus, but he just screwed up and believe me he knows it. The worst call of the game in my opinion was punting on 4th and 1 at the 50 in the 4th quarter when we were leading by 2. We have a walk on punter who is not very good at all.  Kerryon would have gotten a 1st and we would have put the game away with a fg. KJ was getting 5 yards a run during that series minus the 3rd down run. Also Kodi Burns (which I hate calling out coaches especially an Auburn man) needs to be let go today imo. The wr can't catch and they aren't prepared for anything except how to block. Gus gambled and chose his path. 

...straight out the door, I hope.

Anybody that can see that s—tshow from yesterday and look back at last year UGA and both recent Clemson games and still think Gus has any business being our head coach needs to have their damn head examined. I long for stability at head coach but a stable clown ? is not what I envision, lol.

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Yep. Gus is not n a good spot atm and that is all I am going to say on this matter. Winning out which is very unlikely with bama playing like they are and be safe. That was the worst loss this decade for Auburn football. The title game is the most important loss of the decade but this is the worst. We have top 5 talent and we're up by 20 early in the 2nd quarter. I was very surprised that our defense let Danny E play the best game of the year. Our leader got hurt in the 1st quarter on defense or one of then and the other has been hurt most of year. Also Daniel Thomas has to catch the int and put the game away before half. The defense only gave up 17 though and are injured and have given their all this year. I don't see the team quitting on Gus, but he just screwed up and believe me he knows it. The worst call of the game in my opinion was punting on 4th and 1 at the 50 in the 4th quarter when we were leading by 2. We have a walk on punter who is not very good at all.  Kerryon would have gotten a 1st and we would have put the game away with a fg. KJ was getting 5 yards a run during that series minus the 3rd down run. Also Kodi Burns (which I hate calling out coaches especially an Auburn man) needs to be let go today imo. The wr can't catch and they aren't prepared for anything except how to block. Gus gambled and chose his path. 

23, we will lose to atm, uga, and bama.  Arky is a toss up imo.  Kodi should never have been hired.  No way GM didn't take over play calling or had a heavy hand in slowing down the O.  The lack of aggressive mentality and winning confidence is another big fail.  GM has to go now.  (Yes Gus, it is the end of the world for those that love AU and want to win.) No reason to prolong the inevitable.  Perhaps the coaches can achieve more without this idiot controlling them.  

7 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Yep. Gus is not n a good spot atm and that is all I am going to say on this matter. Winning out which is very unlikely or beating UGA and close loss to bama is only way I see this staying the current path. That was the worst loss this decade for Auburn football. The title game is the most important loss of the decade but this is the worst. We have top 5 talent and we're up by 20 early in the 2nd quarter. I was very surprised that our defense let Danny E play the best game of the year. Our leader got hurt in the 1st quarter on defense or one of then and the other has been hurt most of year. Also Daniel Thomas has to catch the int and put the game away before half. The defense only gave up 17 though and are injured and have given their all this year. I don't see the team quitting on Gus, but he just screwed up and believe me he knows it. The worst call of the game in my opinion was punting on 4th and 1 at the 50 in the 4th quarter when we were leading by 2. We have a walk on punter who is not very good at all.  Kerryon would have gotten a 1st and we would have put the game away with a fg. KJ was getting 5 yards a run during that series minus the 3rd down run. Also Kodi Burns (which I hate calling out coaches especially an Auburn man) needs to be let go today imo. The wr can't catch and they aren't prepared for anything except how to block. Gus gambled and chose his path. 

When Gus called that one...it just screamed WEAK. If you cannot convert that, YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO WIN. But instead of giving our offensive line and KJ a chance to close it out, we had to give the ball back, trusting our gassed defense to win. Just a sad turn of events.

notice how we keep replacing Auburn's worst loss with a new one? Also how the opponent record books are making new positive stats after they play Auburn

It’s actually really confusing trying to understand what the deal is with playcalling. It’s like playing Battleship and guessing G7 miss, G7 miss, G7 miss, G8 hit, G7 miss, G7 miss

I remember on the old NCAA video games if you ran the same play twice Herbie would say “that’s not gonna work twice in a row, not sure what they were thinking.” Can’t imagine what he would say if Gus played video games, probably something like “$;@/)! idiot &:&:$;must be stupid $:(:&:( #{ fired”

Just now, mom2kid said:

23, we will lose to atm, uga, and bama.  Arky is a toss up imo.  Kodi should never have been hired.  No way GM didn't take over play calling or had a heavy hand in slowing down the O.  The lack of aggressive mentality and winning confidence is another big fail.  GM has to go now.  (Yes Gus, it is the end of the world for those that love AU and want to win.) No reason to prolong the inevitable.  Perhaps the coaches can achieve more without this idiot controlling them.  

I cannot believe he actually muttered these words. He's downplaying and minimizing our frustration. That's not good at all. We need a pissed coach. He was just mumbling in an uncomfortable fashion.

16 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I wonder if the possibility however remote that we could beat one of those 2 and Gus could save his job has the PTB thinking they need to make a move earlier.  I couldn't see Gus being fired during the season until I thought about this possibility.  An upset loss to Arky might do it or an embarrassing loss to A&M could do it also. 

In the best interests of Auburn football, is it wrong to actually hope that Arkansas or A&M to beat us? I fear he'd manage to go on a run just to save his neck.

If we lose to Georgia and Bama, our senior class will go out without a SINGLE. WIN. AGAINST. OUR. RIVALS. Has that happened before? Lose to both rivals FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS? 

7 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

It’s actually really confusing trying to understand what the deal is with playcalling. It’s like playing Battleship and guessing G7 miss, G7 miss, G7 miss, G8 hit, G7 miss, G7 miss

I remember on the old NCAA video games if you ran the same play twice Herbie would say “that’s not gonna work twice in a row, not sure what they were thinking.” Can’t imagine what he would say if Gus played video games, probably something like “$;@/)! idiot &:&:$;must be stupid $:(:&:( #{ fired”

Gus would probably having a losing record in NCAA on rookie difficulty. 

Just now, AUDynasty said:

In the best interests of Auburn football, is it wrong to actually hope that Arkansas or A&M to beat us? I fear he'd manage to go on a run just to save his neck.

If we lose to Georgia and Bama, our senior class will go out without a SINGLE. WIN. AGAINST. OUR. RIVALS. Has that happened before? Lose to both rivals FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS? 

Probably has but not in my time as an Auburn fan which is 30 plus years.  I could never pull for an Auburn loss but I understand your point.  If Gus wins the next 2 games you will have a board full of Gus lovers again who will tell us everything is fine and we shouldn't expect to beat UGA and UAT because you know we're just lowly Auburn and we should be happy being average. 

24 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

This is EXACTLY how I feel/felt yesterday.

Even when we had such a huge lead, my heart would not stop racing (I kept monitoring it on my watch) and I felt that we weren’t going to win. I absolutely hate that I was right. 

Huge fan of what Gus and his family stand for, personally. Huge fear that when he goes, he will be a force at the next school, and that we will be facing mediocrity with the next hire due to meddling from up above. I can’t remember, but who were the other options we looked at when chizik was let go? 

Football aside, the athletic department looks like a dumpster fire - accusations and scandals across the board. That has to affect ALL employees within the department and is probably a reason why we pay so much money for people to come work here. 

Ugh, I’m still salty from this loss and will probably feel this way for a while. It  hurts. 

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

Gus knows he screwed up?  Why is that no comfort at all?  According to Gus, the problem was "a lack of 3rd down conversions".

This is how I expect Gus to remedy the third down conversion problem:

Coach Rainman will sequester himself in his office for the next couple of days designing a play called Third Down Conversion.

He'll have the team do two-a-days running and rerunning nothing but Third Down Conversion right up until the pre-game press conference. At that press conference, Gomer Malzahn will explain in full detail what a great week of practice the team had and how they will run a new play called Third Down Conversion.

He'll then tell everyone exactly how Third Down Conversion works: "First we'll bring the defense in with runs between the tackles on first and second downs..."

He'll probably also note that designing Third Down Conversion was easier than he thought it would be because he already had a play in his playbook called Desperation Pass, so he really need only erase the penciled title Desperation Pass and overwrite the ugly smudge and paper tear with Third Down Conversion in Coward Yellow crayon.

Why get rid of Burns?  That's treating a hangnail on a crushed limb.

Sorry, everyone.  Still raging.

2 hours ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Pettway for 1

KJohnson for 5

Incomplete 

Punt

Pettway for 1

Pettway for 5

INC

Punt

KJ for 9

KJ for 10

KJ for 4

Pass for 15

KJ for 4

KJ for 3

Stove for 3

KJ for -1

INC

field goal 23-7

Pettway for 3

Stidham no gain

Stove for 4

KJ for 6

Pettway for -2

INC

INC

Punt

KJ for 6

INC

Sack

Punt

KJ for 3

KJ for 2

INC 

Punt, now up 23-21

KJ for 4

KJ for 4

Stove for 8

KJ for 4

KJ for 5

KJ for 0

Punt on 4th and half a foot  <<<<< Obvious to everyone we were playing not to lose. I remember a Kstate game some time ago....

KJ for 1

INC

Stidham scrambles for 4

Punt

Now behind 24-23

Archived