Softball Recruiting Areas

I don’t know if it has any relevance but I was looking at the home states of SEC softball players from some of the top teams. Auburn has 25 players on roster; 11 from Alabama, 5 from California, 4 from Georgia and 3 from Florida as the main states.   One thing that seems to stand out is the number of teams that have Texas players.  For example…Bama 3, Georgia 2, LSU 3, Ole Miss 5, Mississippi State 3.  Of course about 90% of the A&M roster is from Texas.  I wonder if the presence of Coach Glasco on the staff will increase our recruiting presence in that area?  Of course, many of the teams have a “California presence”…..Bama 2, Auburn 5, Florida 6, Tennessee 3, Ole Miss 4, Mississippi State 2.  Auburn has had obvious good recruits from B’ham Thunderbolts  (examples are Veach, Shea, Draper, Harris to name a few) but noticed Mississippi State got 4 players in the 2017 Bolts class who should be on the Bulldog team this year. 

The JMU class this year that is composed of Coach Dean recruits,  has 22 roster players with 11 from Virginia.  2 are from Florida.  I am no softball expert but I do not associate Virginia as a softball hot bed.  Maybe speaks to player development? 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

I don’t know if it has any relevance but I was looking at the home states of SEC softball players from some of the top teams. Auburn has 25 players on roster; 11 from Alabama, 5 from California, 4 from Georgia and 3 from Florida as the main states.   One thing that seems to stand out is the number of teams that have Texas players.  For example…Bama 3, Georgia 2, LSU 3, Ole Miss 5, Mississippi State 3.  Of course about 90% of the A&M roster is from Texas.  I wonder if the presence of Coach Glasco on the staff will increase our recruiting presence in that area?  Of course, many of the teams have a “California presence”…..Bama 2, Auburn 5, Florida 6, Tennessee 3, Ole Miss 4, Mississippi State 2.  Auburn has had obvious good recruits from B’ham Thunderbolts  (examples are Veach, Shea, Draper, Harris to name a few) but noticed Mississippi State got 4 players in the 2017 Bolts class who should be on the Bulldog team this year. 

The JMU class this year that is composed of Coach Dean recruits,  has 22 roster players with 11 from Virginia.  2 are from Florida.  I am no softball expert but I do not associate Virginia as a softball hot bed.  Maybe speaks to player development? 

That's good stuff, slot.  I do have a feeling that with Glasco on the staff that our presence in Texas will be expanded.   I don't know much about the softball in Texas but you don't win games without good players that are coachable.   Clearly they found a mix of good talent and developed it.     I have no doubt that Dean is a developer of talent.   I agree that I don't believe Virginia to be much of a softball talent state.   I don't think there's any question that Mickey Dean is terrific at identifying talented players that he can make better over the years of his time with them.       This is going to be so much fun to watch.    I was worried what we would end up with when Myers career was over (though I didn't expect it to end this soon or the way it did).   But, I'm beyond thrilled at the replacement we picked up.    Mickey Dean will win a National Title here.  I'm sure of it.

I'll also add, with us losing so much of our power  at the plate in recent years (Carosone, Rhodes, Cooper) that it was a perfect hire to bring in Glasco to develop the ones we have.    We need to bring the power numbers back up and Glasco can help us do that in spades.  

I have wondered what the Bama connection might be in Texas.  Of course they have had a very good program for an extended period of time and could draw players from many states.  In 2016 they had 6 TX players, 2014 3 TX and 2010  2 TX. based off random roster searches.  In 2014, Auburn roster was dominated by players from Alabama and Florida.  We did have Tiff from GA and Melero from California.  I don't know if this means anything but it may not be a bad idea to have a recruiting presence in Texas and Glasco may enable us to do just that.

WarTiger, regarding the power hitting, I am all for improvement in that regard but can't help but recall haw successful Ole Miss was playing a lot of small ball.  I would like to see  a combination of both.  Some of those high bouncing hits really puts pressure on the infielders.

Thanks Slot.  That's good info.  I hope we can attract some Texas talent in the future and continue to draw from California.  It's still the hot bed for softball players.  Like you WT, I'm beyond thrilled with all of the new softball staff, especially after all the bad press we've been getting.  Every where Glasco has been, his teams have hit the ball very well.  I think Coach Dean is an excellent developer of talent and I look forward to him leading us to a NC.  I will not be surprised if the WCWS finals next year be us against OU again.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:30 PM, saminbama said:

Thanks Slot.  That's good info.  I hope we can attract some Texas talent in the future and continue to draw from California.  It's still the hot bed for softball players.  Like you WT, I'm beyond thrilled with all of the new softball staff, especially after all the bad press we've been getting.  Every where Glasco has been, his teams have hit the ball very well.  I think Coach Dean is an excellent developer of talent and I look forward to him leading us to a NC.  I will not be surprised if the WCWS finals next year be us against OU again.

Listened to a podcast interview with Coach Dean  (On Deck with the NFCA) and he mentioned that Coach Glasco's family is still in Texas but there have been a couple of recruiting trips to Texas which have allowed him to "go home".  So maybe we are looking in that area.    He also said that in regards to recruiting that he would prefer to have a player who want to come to Auburn rather than have to go out and find one.  He talks a lot about establishing a  "Culture" and the " Process" to get there.  Sounds like he wants to move forward in  predetermined steps.  

10 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

.  Sounds like he wants to move forward in  predetermined steps.  

Probably a good plan at AU....he inherited a nice roster and does not have to rush out and try to recruit a bunch of starters immediately.....can fill gaps, etc and hopefully maintain the high level the team has achieved the past few years.  

Mostly I just hope he keeps on giving Patrick Murphy heartburn 

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

"Mostly I just hope he keeps on giving Patrick Murphy heartburn " 

That's funny AU64.  I found him much easier to tolerate after we began to beat him.

I fell in love with Clint when he made that comment at his introduction.....like Dye getting bama to Jordan Hare for football, game I will always appreciate Clint for getting a grip on the bama softball situation. 

I don't think Glasco's time in Texas will be all that relevant to recruiting as it would be in football where the primary evaluation and everything happens at a high school. Getting Myers from the west coast was a bigger shot in the arm for west coast recruiting. He was more visible at west coast events and the staff could concentrate on showcase tournaments out there. He also had built relationships with travel ball organizations out there. The improvements he got us in facilities also put us so far ahead of the PAC-12 schools its insane. Just like football players want to compete for championships and play in the SEC it has started in softball as well. 

Last week my daughter's team had the chance to play in front of an assistant from Arizona St at a tournament in Orlando. We played in front of coaches from all over this past weekend including Coach Smith. 

On the note about a certain organization producing kids going to one school or the other. It happens with every big organization. You would be amazed how many girls sign for $500 a year just to say they signed with an SEC school and never see the field. The same kids could be starters at top mid majors or DII's.

On 11/8/2017 at 3:20 PM, RHN1975 said:

I don't think Glasco's time in Texas will be all that relevant to recruiting as it would be in football where the primary evaluation and everything happens at a high school. Getting Myers from the west coast was a bigger shot in the arm for west coast recruiting. He was more visible at west coast events and the staff could concentrate on showcase tournaments out there. He also had built relationships with travel ball organizations out there. The improvements he got us in facilities also put us so far ahead of the PAC-12 schools its insane. Just like football players want to compete for championships and play in the SEC it has started in softball as well. 

Last week my daughter's team had the chance to play in front of an assistant from Arizona St at a tournament in Orlando. We played in front of coaches from all over this past weekend including Coach Smith. 

On the note about a certain organization producing kids going to one school or the other. It happens with every big organization. You would be amazed how many girls sign for $500 a year just to say they signed with an SEC school and never see the field. The same kids could be starters at top mid majors or DII's.

My daughter has a couple of offers from smaller 4 year schools, but we are actually holding out for some JUCO offers.  Two years paid for, then you still have a shot at going on to finish at a 4 year school.

29 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

My daughter has a couple of offers from smaller 4 year schools, but we are actually holding out for some JUCO offers.  Two years paid for, then you still have a shot at going on to finish at a 4 year school.

That's one point I am trying to make with mine. She is just a freshman and is starting to get interest from a couple of mid-majors. It is finally sinking in that softball will not pay for everything. Even with an amazing offer of say 70% out of state I am still on the hook for $15,000 a year at least. Go DII or mid-major DI in state and it's a different story especially if she keeps her grades right. JUCO can pay even more and if you are at the right program and produce there will be plenty of opportunities after two years.   

On 11/15/2017 at 11:07 AM, RHN1975 said:

That's one point I am trying to make with mine. She is just a freshman and is starting to get interest from a couple of mid-majors. It is finally sinking in that softball will not pay for everything. Even with an amazing offer of say 70% out of state I am still on the hook for $15,000 a year at least. Go DII or mid-major DI in state and it's a different story especially if she keeps her grades right. JUCO can pay even more and if you are at the right program and produce there will be plenty of opportunities after two years.   

Whether softball or baseball, if I had a child playing now, I would steer them toward a D1 JC.  Just for the financial aspects.  They can get a full ride for 2 years and then transfer to a four year school.  Some state schools like in Florida even give "expense money" in addition to room and board, tuition and books, and pencils and paper.  You just have to do your due diligence and make sure the credits are fully transferable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2017 at 8:56 AM, saminbama said:

Whether softball or baseball, if I had a child playing now, I would steer them toward a D1 JC.  Just for the financial aspects.  They can get a full ride for 2 years and then transfer to a four year school.  Some state schools like in Florida even give "expense money" in addition to room and board, tuition and books, and pencils and paper.  You just have to do your due diligence and make sure the credits are fully transferable.

My daughter received her first D1 JC offer on Monday!  We are waiting for a couple of weeks to see if another one comes in before she makes her decision.

56 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

My daughter received her first D1 JC offer on Monday!  We are waiting for a couple of weeks to see if another one comes in before she makes her decision.

Congrats.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, WarTiger said:

That's good stuff, slot.  I do have a feeling that with Glasco on the staff that our presence in Texas will be expanded.   I don't know much about the softball in Texas but you don't win games without good players that are coachable.   Clearly they found a mix of good talent and developed it.     I have no doubt that Dean is a developer of talent.   I agree that I don't believe Virginia to be much of a softball talent state.   I don't think there's any question that Mickey Dean is terrific at identifying talented players that he can make better over the years of his time with them.       This is going to be so much fun to watch.    I was worried what we would end up with when Myers career was over (though I didn't expect it to end this soon or the way it did).   But, I'm beyond thrilled at the replacement we picked up.    Mickey Dean will win a National Title here.  I'm sure of it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Holding you to this Tim. If it doesn't happen, your punishment will be to be locked in a room with bird for 2 hours listening to him tell stories about golf.B)

5 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Holding you to this Tim. If it doesn't happen, your punishment will be to be locked in a room with bird for 2 hours listening to him tell stories about golf.B)

I'm not Tim.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:32 PM, WarTiger said:

I'm not Tim.

Terribly sorry. Oversight on my part.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Google "Beverly Bandits" to see three verbals for AU softball.  I think they are '19, '20, and '21.  Haven't had time to read up on them.

that's funny. So they are all in Ohio? So our new coach recruits that far up north?

4 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Google "Beverly Bandits" to see three verbals for AU softball.  I think they are '19, '20, and '21.  Haven't had time to read up on them.

awesome stuff.  Here they are.   No articles or anything to link too from the website.

Rose Roach commits to Auburn University Rose Roach (2021)
verbally commits to Auburn University

Kelsey Schmidt commits to Auburn University Kelsey Schmidt (2020)

Jaylin Calvert commits to Auburn University Jaylin Calvert (2019)

these are children.....can they really commit at that age?   . 

Archived