slot canyon

Softball Recruiting Areas

Florida got recent commit from a 12 year old pitcher from Indiana.  Article states she also took unofficial visit to Auburn along with several other schools.  She apparently has been clocked at 66 mph.  May not be long before coaches will be lined up outside the delivery room in order to sign future players.

• Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Florida got recent commit from a 12 year old pitcher from Indiana.  Article states she also took unofficial visit to Auburn along with several other schools.  She apparently has been clocked at 66 mph.  May not be long before coaches will be lined up outside the delivery room in order to sign future players.

That's a thought but I would hand each one a little rattle or pacifier and only sign the ones who reach for it with their left hands...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2017 at 2:54 PM, WarTiger said:

awesome stuff.  Here they are.   No articles or anything to link too from the website.

Rose Roach commits to Auburn University Rose Roach (2021)
verbally commits to Auburn University

Kelsey Schmidt commits to Auburn University Kelsey Schmidt (2020)

Jaylin Calvert commits to Auburn University Jaylin Calvert (2019)

Just had another commit from the Bandits. A 2022 infielder, Taylor Pannell. I guess after the disaster of our Bolts connection brought us we have now moved to using the Bandits as our feeder club since our new hitting coach coached for them. 

Not sure what you are referring to when you say disaster related to our Bolts connection.  In spite of our recent turmoil we are a much better program than we were 5 years ago.  Last I looked we actually had 2 commits for 2019 from the Thunderbolts and a 2020 pitcher as well. I do not see any reason that we would not continue to get players from the Thunderbolts travel team.  I suspect our HC as well as our new assistant have a very good read on who the quality players are on the Bandits.  Thanks for the update on the new commit.  

• Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 9:05 AM, AU64 said:

Florida got recent commit from a 12 year old pitcher from Indiana.  Article states she also took unofficial visit to Auburn along with several other schools.  She apparently has been clocked at 66 mph.

A 12 year old throwing 66?  Geez.  I'd like to see that.  Wow!!!  She was throwing a 12 inch softball at 66?  6 years before she starts college.  She may be throwing in the 70's by then.

The fastest pitcher my daughter has seen is on her team.  She pitches 64 consistently and has good movement.  She signed with a smaller 4 year school with that kind of speed and movement.  66mph at 12 is just a freak of nature, in a good way.

On 1/9/2018 at 2:32 PM, slot canyon said:

Not sure what you are referring to when you say disaster related to our Bolts connection.  In spite of our recent turmoil we are a much better program than we were 5 years ago.  Last I looked we actually had 2 commits for 2019 from the Thunderbolts and a 2020 pitcher as well. I do not see any reason that we would not continue to get players from the Thunderbolts travel team.  I suspect our HC as well as our new assistant have a very good read on who the quality players are on the Bandits.  Thanks for the update on the new commit.  

Im not following that comment either. 

Seems our only disaster was Corey......otherwise the connections with the big travel teams have been favorable ...haven't they?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Seems our only disaster was Corey......otherwise the connections with the big travel teams have been favorable ...haven't they?

You are correct.  The Bolts girls have worked out well for Auburn.  As far as I know there are no issues with any travel organizations and Auburn.  

• Like 1

I concluded that RHN was referring to Corey, but I haven't really thought of that as related to the Bolts.

On the topic of early recruiting, the coaches seem to have recognized the problem.  Carol Hutchins of Michigan is quoted as saying "We are spiralling in a poor direction."  Here's an article posted yesterday:  https://nfca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7638:ncaa-division-i-coaches-take-a-stand-against-early-recruiting&catid=284&Itemid=149 

To short-circuit that link, D1 softball coaches are supporting a proposal to make Sept. 1 of the player's junior year in high school the start date for all recruiting contact, including phone calls.  The NCAA still has to legislate it. 

Edited by OlderWhiskey
to add last paragraph
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I concluded that RHN was referring to Corey, but I haven't really thought of that as related to the Bolts.

On the topic of early recruiting, the coaches seem to have recognized the problem.  Carol Hutchins of Michigan is quoted as saying "We are spiralling in a poor direction."  Here's an article posted yesterday:  https://nfca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7638:ncaa-division-i-coaches-take-a-stand-against-early-recruiting&catid=284&Itemid=149 

To short-circuit that link, D1 softball coaches are supporting a proposal to make Sept. 1 of the player's junior year in high school the start date for all recruiting contact, including phone calls.  The NCAA still has to legislate it. 

Guessing there will then be a bunch of coaches doing seminars or one day clinics at club teams to indirectly sell their brand.  I do like the rule if it is passed, but we know they will find a way to get around it, lol.

The following paragraph  should not be considered as fact.  

I can see a situation where an individual with ties to AU athletics as well as the Thunderbolts may have  in some way been involved in getting Clint Myers to Auburn.  If so I do not see that said individual would bear any responsibility as to the behavior of Corey Myers some years later and do not feel this would cause a breach between AU softball and the Thunderbolts.  I wondered if this was the angle that RHN was considering.

I do agree that college softball needs to get a handle on the recruiting process and seems a lot of coaches have been in favor of above proposal.  If passed, wouldn't be surprised if there could be a lot of "winking" going on.  With what I see to be increasing popularity of the sport and increasing salaries it could very well tempt some to use less than conventional means (cheating) to secure the services of a player.  I sure I am over thinking this point.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, slot canyon said:

The following paragraph  should not be considered as fact.  

I can see a situation where an individual with ties to AU athletics as well as the Thunderbolts may have  in some way been involved in getting Clint Myers to Auburn.  If so I do not see that said individual would bear any responsibility as to the behavior of Corey Myers some years later and do not feel this would cause a breach between AU softball and the Thunderbolts.  I wondered if this was the angle that RHN was considering.

I do agree that college softball needs to get a handle on the recruiting process and seems a lot of coaches have been in favor of above proposal.  If passed, wouldn't be surprised if there could be a lot of "winking" going on.  With what I see to be increasing popularity of the sport and increasing salaries it could very well tempt some to use less than conventional means (cheating) to secure the services of a player.  I sure I am over thinking this point.

That situation would be the only reason Clint Myers was at AU. Granted a person with that particular organization has done a ton for AU softball and as a fan I am very appreciative. The softball world is also a very small place where you see and hear things that you can't and won't repeat. I will just say I enjoyed the heck out watching Coach Myers build the program and seeing the success but I also am very glad that era of AU softball is in the past. 

• Like 1