Clock Management

Brad_ATX

Just got home from Baton Rouge and I haven't read through all of the threads, so apologies if this has been hashed out already.  Besides all of the play-calling issues rearing their head again, I about lost my mind in the last two minutes when Gus killed any real chance we had of squeaking out a win.  Down 1 point, 2 minutes left, 4th and 12 at your own 23, but you have all three time outs.

WHY ARE YOU CALLING TIME OUT TO SET UP A HOPELESS 4TH DOWN PLAY DEEP IN YOUR OWN TERRITORY?!  Kick it, get a three and out, use your three time outs, and get the ball back with about 1:30 left only needing a field goal!  And remember, our kicker has the leg to make it from 57 easy.  Instead, we gift LSU another field goal, allow them to bleed some clock, and force our offense to go the length of the field with only :38 left.  

I'm done with Gus.  Yesterday was a perfect 3+ hour case study showing all of his inefficiencies as a head coach.  I'm now convinced he's in over his head when it comes to big games.  I still have tickets to a couple of games and will go, but as long as our coach doesn't think it's a big deal to lose a 20 point lead, I won't either.  I'm just there for the party now.

Side note:  The pre-game party was superb yesterday.  I didn't pay for a drink all day and ate the best jambalaya of my life (and I grew up in a Cajun family).  Just reaffirmed for me that Baton Rouge really puts Auburn's pre-game fun/tailgating/atmosphere to shame.

Yup. Clock management has always been atrocious under Gus and has not improved one iota. And he does not allow himself to get better at it because he's spending all of his time "my germs"ing the offense.

giphy.gif

Archived