Moving Forward

OnthePlains

Well, we have all had a good 24 hours to vent our frustrations and get out all the negative feelings about Gus.  Bottom line is none of us have any control over what happens  so where does the Auburn program go from here?  

I just wonder about everyone's opinion on some different scenarios. 

One, we beat Arky, lose to A&M, UGA and bama and finish 7-5.  I figure that gets him fired day after Iron Bowl. 

Two, we beat Arky and A&M, lose to UGA and bama and finish 8-4.  I'm not positive but I THINK that gets him fired bc of his record vs. those last two teams the last 4 years. 

Three, we don't lose another game until the Iron Bowl which means we upset UGA and get a long awaited win over one of our rivals.  We lose to bama and finish 9-3.  I assume this saves his job though I know a large portion of the fan base will still be very skeptical of Gus's long term prospects as coach. 

Four, we win out (I know, I know, very unlikely), we finish 10-2 and look back at the LSU game as a turning point.  Assuming bama beats LSU we win the West and go to ATL.  Obviously Auburn isn't firing him then.  

I can say I have made my personal decision about Gus and that is he could have flashes of brilliance again at some point but we could give him 10 years and he will still basically be an 8-4 coach.  I want more for Auburn.  Winning out or upsetting UGA or bama would be great but it still wouldn't make up for what we saw yesterday.  10-2 would be great until you realize that with just 2 competent offensive games against Clemson and LSU we could have been 12-0 and in the playoff.  

What say you guys? 

4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Well, we have all had a good 24 hours to vent our frustrations and get out all the negative feelings about Gus.  Bottom line is none of us have any control over what happens  so where does the Auburn program go from here?  

I just wonder about everyone's opinion on some different scenarios. 

One, we beat Arky, lose to A&M, UGA and bama and finish 7-5.  I figure that gets him fired day after Iron Bowl. 

Two, we beat Arky and A&M, lose to UGA and bama and finish 8-4.  I'm not positive but I THINK that gets him fired bc of his record vs. those last two teams the last 4 years. 

Three, we don't lose another game until the Iron Bowl which means we upset UGA and get a long awaited win over one of our rivals.  We lose to bama and finish 9-3.  I assume this saves his job though I know a large portion of the fan base will still be very skeptical of Gus's long term prospects as coach. 

Four, we win out (I know, I know, very unlikely), we finish 10-2 and look back at the LSU game as a turning point.  Assuming bama beats LSU we win the West and go to ATL.  Obviously Auburn isn't firing him then.  

I can say I have made my personal decision about Gus and that is he could have flashes of brilliance again at some point but we could give him 10 years and he will still basically be an 8-4 coach.  I want more for Auburn.  Winning out or upsetting UGA or bama would be great but it still wouldn't make up for what we saw yesterday.  10-2 would be great until you realize that with just 2 competent offensive games against Clemson and LSU we could have been 12-0 and in the playoff.  

What say you guys? 

Exactly. The only way we win is if luck intervened and stops Gus from loosing before he can throw it away. No matter the finish Gus must go or this becomes Groundhog Day.

Great points, On the Plains.  I want to win the rest of the games I think we should.  I'm never ok with losing to Bama or Georgia and I think we will.  Unless there is some miracle finish, which I really don't see happening, I think Gus is done.  I was always supportive of Gus until Clemson last year.  We righted the ship a little after that even though we limped to the finish with all the injuries.  Hiring Lindsey was a good move in my opinion so I decided to give him another chance.  Clemson again was a killer and really made me angry.  But after reading here that Gus was really going to step aside and let Chip call the plays, and we saw the progress, I was supporting him again.  But I guess I'm finally done.  He can't keep from meddling.  It stinks because it looks like he has good coordinators but going so conservative so early on after leads and not winning ANY of the big games is too much for me to stomach any more.  I thought with the improvement Steele had made with the D and Lindsey to help vary the offense with Stidham's ability, we could be a contender.  But we keep showing that in the big games, we're really just a pretender.  And I've been an Auburn fan all my life.  It's just maddening being on the Gus roller coaster.  I'm not sure who could come in and take us to the next level, but right now I'm willing to give someone else a try.  

I hate to say this, but it looks like 7-5...A&M is soaring, so the visiting team winning will come to an end....we'll play hard against UGA and bama, but again will not win....UGA has been down the last 3 years and we still didn't beat them...we're not physical enough upfront against good, quality teams...

1 minute ago, The Plainsman said:

The sad part of this and your thread (nothing personal) but I almost don't even care.    That pains me to say it, but am sure I am not the only one who feels it. 

I understand completely and kinda feel that way too. 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

I understand completely and kinda feel that way too. 

The Auburn Football program has earned and deserves more than simply casual fans,.  But the recent results In big games is heartbreaking and not worth the emotional attachment.  This is not how one treats "Family".  

Arky is a toss.  Could be a blow out win or a let down.  A&M being away I think they will be a drop but they have about the same thing going on we do so anything could happen.  Georgia already owns us and will dominate us this year unless something crazy goes on.  Monroe will be a win but closer than it should be and well the last one will be as bad as they want it to be.  I hope im wrong but I only see 2 more wins at best.  Please let me be wrong.  Again I think Gus will put the blame on someone else and JJ is pretty much going to have to be let go or in jail so they will say they can't replace them both at the same time and wait for a new AD to make the call.  That will get another year off his contract as well.  Im afraid this is going to take longer than most of us are wanting to wait.  Did I mention please let me be wrong.  On all of it.

I love AU football.  I can't wait every year until August arrives and fall camp opens. 

It's just October 15th, and we've already set another underachieving tone.

We could have had Kirby Smart.

AU has to make a choice. Give up or understand there is still a chance to win the west . Put the LSU game behind us and move on . 

9 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I love AU football.  I can't wait every year until August arrives and fall camp opens. 

This makes me so mad every time I think about it.

47 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I think this is the most likely outcome. I sure hope that would be enough to fire Gus but who knows. I would  have already fired him if it was up to me.

I want Gus gone . I do not think we have a chance to win out . Having said that and I know this really isn't the conversation and probably need to pump the brakes . 

But IF we did win out and won the West,  and sec championship you think we still could get in playoffs or would they take a one loss bama over sec champion. Just curious , can't stand Gus been wanting him gone since last years UGA game ,  but I'm also always thinking of ways we still win it all. Can't help it 

It’s still the same as before the season started imo...Gustav has to at least split the UGA and UAT games to save his job. The LSU debacle only cemented that I think. 

11 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

I want Gus gone . I do not think we have a chance to win out . Having said that and I know this really isn't the conversation and probably need to pump the brakes . 

But IF we did win out and won the West,  and sec championship you think we still could get in playoffs or would they take a one loss bama over sec champion. Just curious , can't stand Gus been wanting him gone since last years UGA game ,  but I'm also always thinking of ways we still win it all. Can't help it 

Doubt it. If the other Power 5 schools have a one-loss conference champ, we play for a New Years 6 bowl... Also remember there is precedence for a one-loss non conference winning team to make the playoff as seen with Ohio State over Penn State. IF we manage to beat Bama and Georgia twice, I still think we get hosed in the playoff conversation. Fortunately misery loves company and we're looking at a couple more losses so the point is mute

50 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Anybody know why we were hesitant with smart? I have always wondered that 

Posted this last night, but it fits better here:

We'll go 7-5, prob beat Arkansas next week and then cupcake ULMonroe. Go to Outback or Citrus type of bowl and play one good half and hang on in the second half. Finish 8-5.

He'll be back next season with some hype about returning JS only to go 7-5 again losing to UGA/BAMA for 5th straight year.

As long as Gus is at the helm it will be the same every season. 2013 was a divine gift to get 2012 taste out of our mouths. 2014-Present is same story. Stubbornness of a coach wasting so much talent.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

While back this might have just been rumor . But heard he wasn't going to take job unless he knew all the ins and outs of investation going on at he time and Auburn wasn't budging on giving detail.  I Do not have credible source on that or anything , just hear say .

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't know.  But for some reason in our head coaching hires, we've been relegated to having to take chances on "Up and Coming" maybes, and the one Up and Coming hit (Smart) passed right under our nose.

Can you imagine our defense under Kirby Smart?  He's blazing the recruiting trail, I hear.

Regarding Smart, the last time we hired a coach who played at Georgia and coached under a great coach at Bama, we turned out alright lol what could have been

No idea on Arkansas, loss to A@M, embarassing beatdowns by UGA and Bama at home. Gus will insist we're close to turning this thing around, he guarantees we'll get it fixed, blah..blah..blah.
Meanwhile, the gap between AU and our 2 biggest rivals gets wider and wider.

Does anybody know why the coaching staff is no longer doing pressers on Sunday night?  For the last couple of weeks only the players have been meeting with the media on Sunday.  Is Chip Lindsey no longer talking to the media?   It makes me think this rumor of Lindsey wanting to leave might have some validity.  Auburn has  had their OC meet with the media on Sunday  for a while now and now it has just stopped.

Archived