come on guys

aubiefifty

i see all these folks saying they are done with auburn football, from spending money in support of auburn or even refusing to watch any more games as long as gus is coach. this will not be popular but some of you are bad fans like gus seems to be a bad coach. and no i am done with gus. but as an auburn fan i will never quit pulling for the kids on the team and those on the staff that are trying as hard as they can and yet being handcuffed from doing their job or whatever. losing is never fun. how about busting your ass 24/7 and 365 days a year only to be held hostage by a coach that is too stubborn to change. come folks......give gus and jj all the hell you want but do not throw our kids under the bus with those two. they trusted auburn enough to come play for us so at least lets support them when things go south. i get mad as hell just like everyone but i will never quit supporting the kids. not ever. i would hope all auburn fans would feel the same after folks have calmed down a little.war eagle.

I've got enough going on in my life that I don't need that emotional letdown every big game. As long as Gus is still HC, it will be sadness and disappointment against our rivals and quality competition. I don't need that in my life.

I love Auburn. I will always love my University and support the student athletes. I will not however make a trip to Auburn and spend time and money  to watch that garbage.  I will support the players from the comfort of my home and hope they can somehow overcome the asinine play calling by their head coach. 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Everyone is down and frustrated but I bet most will still watch the games.  I will.

I've been spending my Saturdays at a food pantry. I'll catch a bit of a game here and there but I'm done as long as JJ and GM are there.

14 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

give gus and jj all the hell you want but do not throw our kids under the bus with those two.

Gus treats his players like dirt honestly. Look at how he ran Pettway 34 times against Mercer, fully knowing he had a bad foot. Look at KJ being beat down. We know this, everyone knows this. The players are being left out on their own without their coach backing them up. They deserve better than a man who is simply too afraid to go to bat for them.  As far as donating money, well many times money, or lack of it, can be a powerful tool. I can accept a loss, but this has become a disgrace. 

I do support the guys playing and the others wanting to win but as a fan the only way we can really show how we feel is by not showing up.  Its the only voice we have.  I can assure you they arent reading all this.  Yeah its not fair for the others but I have still yet to see that contract that says life is always fair.

Yeah, have to sort of check out. It would be easier if it was a bad team. We have a top 5 team imo. Losses are sad and tough, but the coaching fiasco has made it unbearable. Even with Tubbs/Tony Franklin, you just sort of went with it. But I've a feeling Saturdays will be different for a while. Take my 7 yr old on some deerhunts, read about the game Sunday. 

obviously people can do as they want but i will never give up on the kids on the team. ever.

Hell I watched all the games I could during the Barfield years, this is not that bad yet but it's getting close. I don't think I could not watch, it's like a drug to me and I'm hooked on Auburn. War Eagle lets fire Gus and right this ship.

32 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

obviously people can do as they want but i will never give up on the kids on the team. ever.

People will still show up to the games, period.  Buy season tickets, pay for travel, food, lodging, concessions, buy apparel, and sport their Auburn wear every opportunity.  

People will still voice their opinion on the internet.

Same as it ever was.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i see all these folks saying they are done with auburn football, from spending money in support of auburn or even refusing to watch any more games as long as gus is coach. this will not be popular but some of you are bad fans like gus seems to be a bad coach. and no i am done with gus. but as an auburn fan i will never quit pulling for the kids on the team and those on the staff that are trying as hard as they can and yet being handcuffed from doing their job or whatever. losing is never fun. how about busting your ass 24/7 and 365 days a year only to be held hostage by a coach that is too stubborn to change. come folks......give gus and jj all the hell you want but do not throw our kids under the bus with those two. they trusted auburn enough to come play for us so at least lets support them when things go south. i get mad as hell just like everyone but i will never quit supporting the kids. not ever. i would hope all auburn fans would feel the same after folks have calmed down a little.war eagle.

I was about to post something similar.  I went to Auburn and my son is there now.  Auburn is special to me.  And even though Saturday's coaching was abysmal and painful to watch, I will NEVER bust the chops of our kids that put it out for us.  Maybe it's because I played sports (not football, but my team did compete for two natty's: high school and post graduation) and I knew football players and my son knows football players.  I ran the stadium steps and 'round the big loop' with a few of them.  Some folks right now need to really listen to some of our own player's comments after this loss.  They are hurting.  Badly.  You think you're dissapointed?  You think you're sore cause some coaching non-sense caused our team to lose.  Upsets happen all the time.  That's why games are played every Saturday rather in a computer simulation.  I absolutely agree that Gus's coaching style will not break through the next level.  News alert: four reasonably effective defensive linemen and 4 or five others with a pulse near front neutralizes our offense.  I've read how dissapointed so many of you will be if we run the table and see LSU as Auburn's big turning point.  So here I am, letting the world know, that my personal feelings about a coach will never turn me against the players.  And if Gus can find himself and grow up, get off the "my unalterable game plan" is the greatest chance of success (it isn't: hint, audibles and you might want a little cross talk from Off & Def) focus or acquire on the tools necessary to grow each to their individual maximum potential, go buy a game day tactician if you can't do it, etc. then more power to him.  I hate coaching carousels because they cause a lot of damage.  But if it's time for him to go, so be it.,  If it's time for him to grow up, so be it.  I am not going to let an emotional moment control my decision making.  Breathe people.  This year is shaping up to be the kind where a program like our turns him loose.   That's alright.   All will happen in due time.  I JUST WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR THE PLAYERS.   End rant.  No sarcasm font involved.

One of the comments above got me to thinking about Doug Barfield.  Doug was a great guy and a good coach.  He came from the high school ranks and became OC under Shug when we had some good teams and a lot of talent like in 1974.  He gave it a shot as HC at Auburn after Shug retired but just couldn't get it done.  He was replaced by Pat Dye and big things happened from there after Dye instilled some toughness and discipline into the team.  Doug went back to coaching at the high school level and was very successful.  Maybe Gus needs to think about heading down the same path.  I'm sure he is a good guy it just ain't working out for him in the big leagues.  He has made enough money and must be very financially secure at this point, especially with the buy out Auburn will owe him.  Maybe he just needs to go back to coaching at the level he is best suited to coaching and enjoy the rest of his life.  This can't be any fun for him and it sure isn't for the Auburn faithful. And what he is doing is not fair to kids he recruited to be Auburn men.  

10 hours ago, keesler said:

People will still show up to the games, period.  Buy season tickets, pay for travel, food, lodging, concessions, buy apparel, and sport their Auburn wear every opportunity.  

People will still voice their opinion on the internet.

Same as it ever was.

If we go into the UGA game with another loss, probably to A&M, I think you will see a few less fans in the upper deck.  Iron Bowl will be full because its the Iron Bowl.  I don't blame fans that regularly go to the games really.  You only get 7 or 8 Saturdays out of 52 to go to JHS and tailgate and enjoy being with the Auburn family.  I would also bet during times like this and certainly if it gets worse, that if you ask the owners of J&M or Tiger Rags that merchandise sales suffer.  

I do wish would elevate the players and accept responsibility for a loss.   That is an immensely talented team.  He might see more emotion out of them.  

14 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

If we go into the UGA game with another loss, probably to A&M, I think you will see a few less fans in the upper deck.  Iron Bowl will be full because its the Iron Bowl.  I don't blame fans that regularly go to the games really.  You only get 7 or 8 Saturdays out of 52 to go to JHS and tailgate and enjoy being with the Auburn family.  I would also bet during times like this and certainly if it gets worse, that if you ask the owners of J&M or Tiger Rags that merchandise sales suffer.  

Georgia and bama fans will take up the slack.....place will be full one way or the other. 

But could be like some ACC games at Duke or Wake where the visitors have about half the crowd....especially Clemson.   We need to keep our home field advantage ...such as it is. 

Did you see the crowd for the Georgia / Vandy game. It was a Vandy home game but you would have thought it was in Athens. That place was all red. The announcers even commented on how the dog fans are traveling well this year.

I'm Auburn to the core, a lifetime fan, an alumnus, and my son graduated from Auburn, as will my grandchildren (I've already given orders to my son).

And although I'm mad and disgusted at this point, feeling helpless seeing Malzahn waste CFP-type talent and blowing huge leads like in 2013 against FSU, and now against a weak LSU team, I want to yell and scream and throw things.  And what's even worse, I'm about to leave for work, where I'll have to face my college football nemesis, a die-hard Cajun LSU fan, who I now owe lunch because I lost a bet on the game.

Gee, thanks Gus!

And I live for the day when Jacobs and Malzahn are chased out of Auburn.

But I'll never quit watching, hoping, supporting the team and school, etc.  I could never do that.

WDE, class of 1985

Archived