Stidham not allowed to audible

aubiefifty

Jarrett Stidham is not allowed to audible out of play calls

Questionable play-calling has been a recurring theme during Auburn's two losses this season, both on the road against Clemson in Week 2 and then again Saturday against LSU.

Auburn squandered a 20-point lead in Death Valley over the weekend, falling to LSU 27-23 for the team's ninth consecutive loss in Tiger Stadium. Auburn had success on the ground early on, rushing for 69 yards in the first quarter, but the offense turned predictable, calling 17 consecutive first-down runs -- including 13 in a row after taking a 20-0 lead.

While play-calling was a hot topic after the game, Auburn's players didn't question the gameplan, saying that the offensive woes after the fast start came down to execution. However, there's more to the offense's issues during Saturday's collapse than just, as Jarrett Stidham revealed a key point of interest on Sunday: Auburn's starting quarterback doesn't have the power to audible out a given called play -- such as out of a run call and into a pass when the opposing defense brings an extra defender into the box, as LSU did Saturday.

"That's something just to look at and talk to coach (Chip) Lindsey about," Stidham said. "I'm just doing what I'm told to do and I'm trying to execute at a high level. That's really what it comes down to, just trying to execute the called play."

Conservative play-calling dooms Auburn in 20-point collapse at LSU

Auburn went conservative after building a big lead in Death Valley, and it ultimately cost Gus Malzahn's team in another road loss to LSU.

After Auburn staked a 17-0 lead in the first quarter behind a strong run game, LSU adjusted accordingly, bringing a safety into the box to try to counter Kerryon Johnson's effectiveness.

"After the first quarter, they played a little bit more walk an extra guy down into the box and playing a little bit more man," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "They were mixing it up."

While LSU made the necessary in-game adjustments on defense, Auburn's coaching staff didn't. Auburn's offense reverted to past tendencies and became more conservative after jumping out to the big lead. After going ahead 20-0 early in the second quarter, Auburn called 13 straight first-down runs and totaled 49 yards on those plays as the offense stalled out.

That came back to bite Auburn, which totaled just 64 yards in the second half and did not score after halftime -- following its best first half ever in Death Valley with one of its worst.

"We just kind of stuck to the game plan," wide receiver Ryan Davis said. "The run game was doing well in the first half, and we were trying to stick to that going to the second half."

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just about to post this . Is this due to stidhams experience or Chip and Gus be a bunch of dbags?  I think this is horrible

We all suspected this, but thought last week the QB was given a little more leeway. Now it's been confirmed. Just trust someone already. 

Why would anyone on offense, 

RB 

TE

QB

WR 

want to play for this guy? Im so sick of the way he is running this football program. Does he ever just take a second and look around to the other college teams and see how ass backwards he is on the way he is running this football team? Why on Earth would this school retain him as head coach after this season? Everything about him and the way he runs this program is unbearable, from his ridiculous paranoia to his season ruining stubbornness. GET HIM OUT OF AUBURN. 

Gus thinks no one is as smart as he is when comes to calling plays. 
I'm convinced the players know they're in a clown show but there's not much they can really say or do about it.
Sad days for AU football.

I'll bet audibles are allowed now to some extent.  No way Gus isn't getting an earful all week.  Doubt he'll take his foot off the gas either. 

Until he's on a big stage against UGA, then he'll flop like a fish, hamstring Jarrett and take the play calling from Chip.  He appears to be a gutless control freak and his stripes will bleed through again.  He's proven it over and over.  

Of course, no audibles.

Football to Gus is a game played between coaches.  The players are little toy soldiers and toy soldiers have no voice and do what they're told.  If your favorite gets damaged, you run it until it's broken.  If your plan doesn't work, the toy soldier didn't execute.

No surprise here.

12 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

High school QBs are allowed to audible.

Way back in 1975 our QB even called fake audibles

14 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

High school QBs are allowed to audible.

In the first round of the 1980 state playoffs we ran "check with me at the line" for the entire second half.  Danny Salchert called every play for the last two quarters.  For a Buddy Anderson coached team.  Oh yeah, won a state championship that year....

10 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Of course, no audibles.

Football to Gus is a game played between coaches.  The players are little toy soldiers and toy soldiers have no voice and do what they're told.  If your favorite gets damaged, you run it until it's broken.  If your plan doesn't work, the toy soldier didn't execute.

No surprise here.

That sounds like a disgustingly accurate analogy.  

1 hour ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Why would anyone on offense, 

RB 

TE

QB

WR 

want to play for this guy? Im so sick of the way he is running this football program. Does he ever just take a second and look around to the other college teams and see how ass backwards he is on the way he is running this football team? Why on Earth would this school retain him as head coach after this season? Everything about him and the way he runs this program is unbearable, from his ridiculous paranoia to his season ruining stubbornness. GET HIM OUT OF AUBURN. 

I don't know what the coaches are telling these guys on the recruiting trail but right niw Stidham, Kyle Davis, Nate Craig-Myers etc. must feel like they were sold a bill of goods.

Ha, is anyone surprised? No way Gustav Malzahn is gonna let a mere QB change one of his called plays. Not gonna happen. Makes my blood boil when I think how his stubbornness has wrecked this program and how we’ve missed some huge opportunities. 

4 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Ha, is anyone surprised? No way Gustav Malzahn is gonna let a mere QB change one of his called plays. Not gonna happen. Makes my blood boil when I think how his stubbornness has wrecked this program and how we’ve missed some huge opportunities. 

Not only have we missed some huge opportunities but missed out on some huge play makers, in particular, quarterbacks.

We hired a guy with a "scheme". You don't go off script with guys like that. It's why we never can adjust when other teams do. 

Im glad the world is learning something we already knew. Helps with the firing process 

Also glad Stidham is at least attempting to save his own ass....no reason to cape for someone like Gus.  Stidham didnt have a great day, but as we all know, he looked good early with time and open receivers. It isnt THAT hard to draw up plays that neutralize blitzes/extra mans and give the QB the capability to call said plays. Stid is supposed to be a smart QB, so allow him to be smart. Cant wait for Gus to be gone

Why is that a shock?

Gus wants them to run his offense...and we all know there is no adjustments ever made there.

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

In the first round of the 1980 state playoffs we ran "check with me at the line" for the entire second half.  Danny Salchert called every play for the last two quarters.  For a Buddy Anderson coached team.  Oh yeah, won a state championship that year....

uncle-rico-o.gif

Archived