Stidham not allowed to audible

aubiefifty

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, keesler said:

+1 he restricts them, refuses to evolve a scheme to utilize their strengths, and his plan for success (if he even has one) puts way too much emphasis on the QB position. 

Just like last year, if we ran the offense we ran in '09 with Todd and Tate, we would be undefeated and breaking records. 

This doesn't surprise me most "audibles" are called from the sideline in college and high school.  And who knows in the NFL it essentially headsets in the helmets for QBs.   

This isn't the issue with Gus.  The issue with Gus is his inability to recognize adjustments and living and dying on every play.  He's masked it a little this year but you can see it in his body language still.

And I agree with him a loss isn't the end of the world.  Only the end of the world is the end of the world but for fans, especially those that traveled to BR.  What was the average amount they spent?  400 per person?  I'd say that might be about average.  2 people thats 800... a family well over 1K...  home games 2 people depending on distance it's probably about $300 a weekend with tickets costs and such.  

So for many families that's probably their entertainment expense for the year.  Probably go to games other then hunting, fishing, youth football, or any number of hobbies.  So for us it is about more then just 1 game 1 loss.  It's a slap in the face to our investment that we as fan put into this program.   

We are a better team then LSU.  We lost to them.  We didn't lose because of execution.  We lost because of coaching.  

What is Lindsey doing upstairs? Pigging out on pressbox food? Should he not be calling plays to counter the defensive formations? Or does he have zero input now in the play calling? Getting paid $700K for what?

Just now, aufan57 said:

What is Lindsey doing upstairs? Pigging out on pressbox food? Should he not be calling plays to counter the defensive formations? Or does he have zero input now in the play calling? Getting paid $700K for what?

Getting paid to take the blame for Gus. He is probably underpaid considering the damage that is being done to his career. 

3 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

He's up there with a play sheet.  Hearing in the headset.  We need to run here.  We need to pass here.  Then just calling plays off the sheet that was already created during the week.  

Just now, lutzcammed said:

I would love to chat with chip for about 15 minutes.

I have a feeling I would have a new perspective on how bad it really is.

I have friends that are friends with Chip.  I can't say much but overall Chip is happy.  This is a huge opportunity for him.  

15 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I have friends that are friends with Chip.  I can't say much but overall Chip is happy.  This is a huge opportunity for him.  

yay for him.    to bad I'm afraid the odds 'say its only going to be a one year engagement.  

I would have imagined him being a very frustrated coach. After seeing us  throw from the 1 foot line on first down  which i thought was all on him and play calling in general  lacking  any predictability what so ever , to have to set through the 2nd half as the OC (well I would have exploded) just doesn't do him justice.

4 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

yay for him.    to bad I'm afraid the odds 'say its only going to be a one year engagement.  

I would have imagined him being a very frustrated coach. After seeing us  throw from the 1 foot line on first down  which i thought was all on him and play calling in general  lacking  any predictability what so ever , to have to set through the 2nd half as the OC (well I would have exploded) just doesn't do him justice.

It's not 1 year.  It's a 3 year deal.  $700k base with incentives that are easily attained.  So probably about $900k at the end of the year.  

Plus he gets to add OC in the SEC to his resume.  It's generally a stepping stone position into a head coaching job.  

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

It's not 1 year.  It's a 3 year deal.  $700k base with incentives that are easily attained.  So probably about $900k at the end of the year.  

Plus he gets to add OC in the SEC to his resume.  It's generally a stepping stone position into a head coaching job.  

Unfortunately I'm making the Assumption on a one-year deal that Gus actually gets fired at the end of the year. I would love to see chip here for 3 years.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

This doesn't surprise me most "audibles" are called from the sideline in college and high school.  And who knows in the NFL it essentially headsets in the helmets for QBs.   

This isn't the issue with Gus.  The issue with Gus is his inability to recognize adjustments and living and dying on every play.  He's masked it a little this year but you can see it in his body language still.

And I agree with him a loss isn't the end of the world.  Only the end of the world is the end of the world but for fans, especially those that traveled to BR.  What was the average amount they spent?  400 per person?  I'd say that might be about average.  2 people thats 800... a family well over 1K...  home games 2 people depending on distance it's probably about $300 a weekend with tickets costs and such.  

So for many families that's probably their entertainment expense for the year.  Probably go to games other then hunting, fishing, youth football, or any number of hobbies.  So for us it is about more then just 1 game 1 loss.  It's a slap in the face to our investment that we as fan put into this program.   

We are a better team then LSU.  We lost to them.  We didn't lose because of execution.  We lost because of coaching.  

Exactly !  We are Tigers Unlimited members and have had the same season tickets for close to 20 years.  I don't do the hunting, fishing or golfing thing.  I spend that money on AU Football.  To have the crap product that Gus is putting out there is an insult.  Especially considering that he is getting paid millions per year to coach.

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

My God, you're right. The guy is getting paid nearly $4 Million to do what he's doing.  Ridiculous.

yeah the argument basically shifted from Gus cant run an offense without running QBs to Gus is either recruiting the wrong ones or his own old scheme cant utilize the ones he has

52 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Well....John Franklin, Woody Barrett, Jason Smith, Stanton Truitt, Malik Willis.

And besides Willis, who proved they had at least as accurate an arm as Marshall, to go with their speed?

Truitt and Jason Smith weren't QBs at AU.

And not a chance Barrett had 4.4 speed.

Since 2014, there's been only one true comparison to Marshall in speed, elusiveness and arm and his name is Lamar.

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

And besides Willis, who proved they had at least as accurate an arm as Marshall, to go with their speed?

Truitt and Jason Smith weren't QBs at AU.

And not a chance Barrett had 4.4 speed.

Since 2014, there's been only one true comparison to Marshall in speed, elusiveness and arm and his name is Lamar.

Well Jason Smith was accurate as hell in JuCo, he probably should've gotten a chance. JF3 had about as good a deep ball as Marshall did whenever he was actually given a chance to throw one. Its not like either threw short so 

Some names: 2017 Kenny Hill, Greg Ward, Deshaun Watson, Jalen Hurts, Vernon Adams, basically Quinton Flowers, and Khalil Tate seems to be up next. The only caveat you got me at was specifically 4.4. I gave you 4.4 even though Marshall finished at a 4.54 in the combine. At 4.5, this list would probably double or triple. I loved Nick Marshall but Nick Marshall wasn't as rare as you remember him to be. TCU has had several Nick Marshalls since 2014 (if you count a year of Trevone in 2015). Kelly Bryant looks faster in game than Marshall and they have a QB on roster that's faster than him I believe. Just cause our coordinators can't do it doesn't mean that other programs haven't built up schemes that make dual-threats into unstoppable machines. 

6 hours ago, corchjay said:

I'm afraid Gus may be soiling it for him 

Salute to those other programs that don't limit themselves behind facades that they can build up elite offenses behind pocket passers. We went through 2016 not knowing if Woody could throw or if JF3 could handle anything close to a full gameplan. Both situations ended rather harshly but they didn't completely answer my questions.  JF3 got one half to prove himself vs Vandy, but all that he really ended up with was the same piss poor short passes that they had him running all year and they have Malik running now. They dont get a QB in rhythm (unless its semi intricate plays like slants or crossings or outs, things we rarely ran with him), they dont improve a QB's timing on deep routes, and they dont show any trust in your QB. I dont even want to count the mockery that was the Oklahoma game because why would anybody. I dont think JF3's that good, but I think if you give him a read option offense where there's a potential threat of no predetermined read and maybe a chance to throw, he would've been better than Jeremy or a bust down Sean.

The point being, alot of Auburn fans tend to dismiss the QBs that leave so often as undertalented in relation to whoever's remaining, but if these are the QBs that's supposed to work for your system, why aren't they given a chance in game to fail (or succeed)? We don't do anything of relevance in practice, so I doubt much is learned there about a QB's talent

This isn't news.

What do you expect from a guy who won't even let his QB read the DE/OLB on a read option?

It's amazing. He won't trust anyone worth trusting -- even if it means increasing our chances to win. But ironically trusts the Herb "TFL King" Hand and Kodi "Wait, you want to hire me?" Burns you seriously can't make this stuff up!

Does he even trust the Waffle House employees to make his post-game meals? Or is he forcing himself into the kitchen?

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This isn't news.

What do you expect from a guy who won't even let his QB read the DE/OLB on a read option?

It's amazing. He won't trust anyone worth trusting -- even if it means increasing our chances to win. But ironically trusts the Herb "TFL King" Hand and Kodi "Wait, you want to hire me?" Burns you seriously can't make this stuff up!

Does he even trust the Waffle House employees to make his post-game meals? Or is he forcing himself into the kitchen?

I hope he's been forcing his way behind the grill.  A man should stay busy while job hunting.

It's not surprising to me that the QB isn't allowed to call audibles in college - that seems almost logical given the fact the kid has been at the wheel for only 7 games.  What DOESN'T seem logical is that, given the QB's lack of experience with the offense, that he isn't checking to the sideline for an audible called by the coach when he sees the defensive alignment.  Perhaps they aren't getting to the line quick enough for that to happen, but "GusChip" need to fix that.  I'm just an armchair qb with no football coaching experience, but am I missing something?  I mean, am I missing something besides a full head of hair and $10 million in the bank and a mansion and a yacht?  Ooof.  Suddenly I'm depressed about my being bald and poor and yachtless.  THANKS FOR NOTHING GUS!!

Archived