Stidham not allowed to audible

aubiefifty

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who just doesn't think this is a big deal? Less and less quarterbacks are given the freedom to audible at the line of scrimmage. Offenses and defenses have evolved so much that a quarterback has to not only have an intricate understanding of the offense, but the personnel packages and match-ups that the coaches are trying to create. Is our offense overly complex? No, it's not, but again, this is the norm and not the exception. 

There's nothing that suggests that "he isn't allowed" to audible. That suggests that we would like to give our quarterback the ability to audible, but that we just won't allow Stidham. It might not be a part of our offense, and I'm okay with that. Most college football teams are making audibles from the sideline, anyway. Heck, there are plenty of NFL teams who are calling them into the quarterbacks helmet regularly. Young guys in the NFL aren't given a lot of responsibility, either. Don't forget Stidham is still in his first year. This is being overblown.

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Am I the only one who just doesn't think this is a big deal? Less and less quarterbacks are given the freedom to audible at the line of scrimmage. Offenses and defenses have evolved so much that a quarterback has to not only have an intricate understanding of the offense, but the personnel packages and match-ups that the coaches are trying to create. Is our offense overly complex? No, it's not, but again, this is the norm and not the exception. 

There's nothing that suggests that "he isn't allowed" to audible. That suggests that we would like to give our quarterback the ability to audible, but that we just won't allow Stidham. It might not be a part of our offense, and I'm okay with that. Most college football teams are making audibles from the sideline, anyway. Heck, there are plenty of NFL teams who are calling them into the quarterbacks helmet regularly. Young guys in the NFL aren't given a lot of responsibility, either. Don't forget Stidham is still in his first year. This is being overblown.

I disagree...

I think from watching our routes we have very few options in the routes.  This is the simplicity I think people are talking about..  What appears to be happening is we run a single route regardless of the cover type or where the safety lines up.  

I think other teams have more "options" on the routes that allow of the receiver to run several different routes depending on what the defense is doing.  If they see zone they may run one route, if they see a safety high they run different route.  Safety in the box and man might be a 3rd route.  The QB reads the defense as much as the WR does... I don't think we do that at all.

Maybe my opinion on it is wrong as someone with more knowledge can either correct or refine what I am trying to say... but I don't think our offense has much, if any, flexibility in it once the play is called from the sideline... for the better or worse...

My 15 yr old, who runs track and XC, and knows nothing about football said to me...."dad they are walking the safety up to the line, why do we keep running it up the middle?"  We need to let the qb check out of the play in that situation. Time for Gus to go.

7 minutes ago, Bathel said:

I disagree...

I think from watching our routes we have very few options in the routes.  This is the simplicity I think people are talking about..  What appears to be happening is we run a single route regardless of the cover type or where the safety lines up.  

I think other teams have more "options" on the routes that allow of the receiver to run several different routes depending on what the defense is doing.  If they see zone they may run one route, if they see a safety high they run different route.  Safety in the box and man might be a 3rd route.  The QB reads the defense as much as the WR does... I don't think we do that at all.

Maybe my opinion on it is wrong as someone with more knowledge can either correct or refine what I am trying to say... but I don't think our offense has much, if any, flexibility in it once the play is called from the sideline... for the better or worse...

Absolutely. That is coaching. I love what KB did at Auburn but surely we can find a true WR coach. That falls back on Gus.

12 minutes ago, Bathel said:

I disagree...

I'm not arguing that our offense isn't simplistic. That's beside the point. The thread is about whether or not Stidham has the ability to audible or not. Whether or not the coaches are building in the flexibility to call in audibles is an entirely different issue. My point is that most college quarterbacks don't make audibles at the line of scrimmage, and that in it of itself doesn't concern me at all.

Cole Cubelic is hammering al.com on this (WJOX) for a misleading headline and saying that’s not what Stidham said. Said sound bite doesn’t match up with “click bait” headline. 

1 minute ago, MDM4AU said:

Cole Cubelic is hammering al.com on this (WJOX) for a misleading headline and saying that’s not what Stidham said. Said sound bite doesn’t match up with “click bait” headline. 

Glad someone said this, because its not clear from the quote what he's saying at all. We don't see the question. Again, all this is being overblown. 

3 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

listenning to that now. Hate al.com. 

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm not arguing that our offense isn't simplistic. That's beside the point. The thread is about whether or not Stidham has the ability to audible or not. Whether or not the coaches are building in the flexibility to call in audibles is an entirely different issue. My point is that most college quarterbacks don't make audibles at the line of scrimmage, and that in it of itself doesn't concern me at all.

That was my point.. that there is no flexibility in the play designs to have anything to "audible" to.  I think it goes much further than just being able to change from pass to run or vice versa...  

More and more college players may not be making line of scrimmage play calls... but they are reading the defense and expecting the WR to be reading the same thing and run routes accordingly.  I don't see anything of the sort going on at AU.  Not in the running game, not in the blocking schemes, not in the WR route running... 

5 minutes ago, Bathel said:

That was my point.. that there is no flexibility in the play designs to have anything to "audible" to.  I think it goes much further than just being able to change from pass to run or vice versa...  

Got it. Either way, we don't change the play often. 

Frankly, it's our initial play calling that baffles me. 

14 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

That's kinda surprising.  He still does some analysis with their sports guys from time to time.  Can a head coach make EVERYBODY off limits or do players have to do post game interviews?  It appears the assistant coaches are now off limits given their lack of commentary for the last several weeks.  I'd want to make the media's job difficult to get sound bites so they couldn't take a comment and run with it.  Give pure vanilla answers or just do like some of the guys in the NFL used to do: "I'm just here because I have to answer your questions", then go to the next question and answer again "I'm just here because I have to answer your questions."  Repeat.  

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Got it. Either way, we don't change the play often. 

Frankly, it's our initial play calling that baffles me. 

From what I can tell... other teams have figured out that there is no flexibility allowed and do a better job of not "showing" the coverage or defensive package until late in the snap count and not allowing the sideline to "adjust: the play.... not that I think GM has any clue as to what to really adjust to...

Actually, if was to be honest with myself, the play calling the 1st have was great.  It had a good mix and seemed to be taking what the defense was giving them... I even said so to my wife after the 1st quarter.  What baffles me is when CGM gets conservative and decides to "Hang on to win" and not "Play to win".  It's like he's scared to make a mistake and give the game way... the play calling becomes predictable and overly safe... You'd think he'd eventually learn... but I digress off the topic... ;)

Just now, Bathel said:

From what I can tell... other teams have figured out that there is no flexibility allowed and do a better job of not "showing" the coverage or defensive package until late in the snap count and not allowing the sideline to "adjust: the play.... not that I think GM has any clue as to what to really adjust to...

Actually, if was to be honest with myself, the play calling the 1st have was great.  It had a good mix and seemed to be taking what the defense was giving them... I even said so to my wife after the 1st quarter.  What baffles me is when CGM gets conservative and decides to "Hang on to win" and not "Play to win".  It's like he's scared to make a mistake and give the game way... the play calling becomes predictable and overly safe... You'd think he'd eventually learn... 

Seems that the first couple of drives may have been scripted. Once we built a lead, we defaulted to an extremely conservative offense - which may have been the plan all along, but the fact is that it wasn't working, and we continued to do the same thing over and over again. 

If defenses are disguising, its hard to change a play anyway. But, if they are going to be unpredictable, so should you. 

17 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well Jason Smith was accurate as hell in JuCo, he probably should've gotten a chance. JF3 had about as good a deep ball as Marshall did whenever he was actually given a chance to throw one. Its not like either threw short so

Jason Smith did get a chance to pass at AU. He went 0-2 with 1 INT.

Franklin couldn't complete an intermediate pass to save his life. And he def didn't have the elusiveness Marshall had.

As for other QBs you mention, those are QBs are outside of AU, which doesn't fit your argument of "we've had like 2 or 3 since Marshall has left"

Since Marshall, we've had no one to compare to Marshall in speed, elusiveness and arm.

This was too funny not to share:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/gus-malzahn-jarrett-stidham-probably-freedom-college-qb-hes/

“Jarrett probably has more flexibility than any quarterback that we’ve had since I’ve been in college,” Malzahn said. “From the standpoint to change protections, the RPOs, the decision-making, he probably has more freedom than any quarterback we’ve had.”

There was a lot of times that Stidham could have run with the ball and gained 10 yards or more. Why the hell didn't he? Really good QB's can run and throw. All we heard was that he can really take off and run when there's open man to throw to.

Archived