One mitigating factor

DyeCampAlum

I'm as upset as everybody else is, and I too have jumped off the bus. But with further reflection I think one thing deserves reflection.

Dunn's injury forced us to put Prince at LT. LSU has two strong pass rushing ends, one of them elite. So we know Prince needed help in order for us to develop intermediate routes. (It actually takes less time to throw deep than to develop a 12-yard route.) That help would also weaken protection on our right side. It seemed to me, we were getting pressure pretty quick from the right whenever we tried to pass.

I know you can adjust to this: 3-man routes and so forth. But I do think the injury situation influenced play calling more than we've acknowledged.

11 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

I'm as upset as everybody else is, and I too have jumped off the bus. But with further reflection I think one thing deserves reflection.

Dunn's injury forced us to put Prince at LT. LSU has two strong pass rushing ends, one of them elite. So we know Prince needed help in order for us to develop intermediate routes. (It actually takes less time to throw deep than to develop a 12-yard route.) That help would also weaken protection on our right side. It seemed to me, we were getting pressure pretty quick from the right whenever we tried to pass.

I know you can adjust to this: 3-man routes and so forth. But I do think the injury situation influenced play calling more than we've acknowledged.

I get what you are saying but have we had a lot of 12 yard routes before this game?  Also, even with injury the best alternate gameplan they could come up with was run up the middle 17 straight times?  I've seen other teams deal with injuries, but I have never seen anything like what we witnessed on Saturday.  

9 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

It hasn't so far this season. The handful of intermediate routes that were shown in the Ole Miss game were the most in this season. I wish there were a profound revelation for why the coaching staff calls the games like they do but there's nothing... The definition of insanity in action

45 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

To this I will simply reiterate 17 first down calls after taking a 20 point lead,  17 run calls.

Drag route,TE up the seam,maybe rollouts away from the pressure side?Things that could of been used to help combat the LT issue.

57 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Pretty sure Prince started the game at LT and Golson started at LG. Golson moved to center and Harrell came in at LG.

It’s not about what he called it is about when you continue to call the same playover and over when it is not working. That in itself certifies that you are not fit to be in charge. Gus left no doubt he is insane. Now let’s cut him loose and move on. It’s also not about can we do better even though I think we can, it’s about if we continue letting Gus be stupid then we are no better than him.

3 hours ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Injuries happen and good coaches have their entire team ready to play. Auburn recruits in the Top 10 every year, so Auburn's backups should be better than Troy's starters. Troy beat LSU. You've manufactured an excuse where no good reasons exist.

21 minutes ago, Glen from West Glenn Ave said:

Do we still run the wheel route?

Hell no.  We don't even think about throwing to the backs.  Not even as a dump option.  

Edit:  I do think we attempted the wheel against LSU.  Devan Barrett, who hasn't been in a game in what a month(?), came in for that play.  And everybody over ten years old said "Here comes...."

And what will be Gus' mitigating factor if he keeps his job next year?  My linemen are young... when all his senior OL graduates?

21 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

LSU started 3 freshmen one of which wasn't even on the depth charts 2 weeks ago. Seems they adjusted well enough

This is a word that is not in Gus' vocabulary, and looks like will never be added.                                      ^^^^^^^^

20 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Hell no.  We don't even think about throwing to the backs.  Not even as a dump option.  

Edit:  I do think we attempted the wheel against LSU.  Devan Barrett, who hasn't been in a game in what a month(?), came in for that play.  And everybody over ten years old said "Here comes...."

We have 4 plays in our offensive playbook:

Run up the middle

Speed Sweep

Wide Receiver Screen

40 Yd. Pass attempt

Once we get into the game we come out smoking in the first half. Problem is the d-coord for the other team figures out how to stop our 4 plays at halftime, and Gus continues to run these same plays the whole game, while the opposing team sits on their sideline and laughs at what an idiot our coach is for continuing to run these plays.

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

We have 4 plays in our offensive playbook:

Run up the middle

Speed Sweep

Wide Receiver Screen

40 Yd. Pass attempt

Once we get into the game we come out smoking in the first half. Problem is the d-coord for the other team figures out how to stop our 4 plays at halftime, and Gus continues to run these same plays the whole game, while the opposing team sits on their sideline and laughs at what an idiot our coach is for continuing to run these plays.

I think we have more than 4 plays in The script developed for the first couple drives.  Think Chip has input through Friday.  Once we get through the script plays, Gus has only two plays he calls and two more that can be suggested.  

I wonder If they practice more than four plays.  

You can absolutely still throw with a struggling LT.  We didn't try bubble screens or quick 6-7 yard slants at any point Saturday, especially after Tega came in.  Those plays are designed to get the ball out fast.  And considering LSU was blitzing the LBs every down, you would have had acres of space to work with.  Convert a couple of those plays and magically the run game opens up just a bit more since the LBs have to now respect the threat of a short pass.

I don't see LSU's freshmen as relevant. They haven't struggled in pass protection like we have....

oh, so since LSU's staff has their inexperienced lineman better prepared than ours then that's a valid excuse???

Archived