Now that we have (hopefully) calmed down

abw0004

What I am about to say is not excusing the game and what happened.  Like in anything I do, I try to sit back and look at the whole turn of events after time has passed where cooler heads will prevail.  I have found that speaking in the midst of emotion can only lead to bad/embarrassing things.  None of these things individually made Auburn lose, or even as a collective, but they are worth noting.

I will start off by saying the LSU game did hurt.  It was painful to watch after such a strong start.  There were a few things I noticed from the game I think we do need to consider.

One thing I am starting to notice is LSU's respect for opposing teams.  I always knew their fans were nasty, and was not a place to take your children for a game.  For me it started with the Florida debacle last year.  This year during the game LSU was unwilling to let Auburn do what they needed to do to cool off our players.  Auburn was sitting in over 100 heat, while LSU's bench was in 80 degree weather.  Major difference.  On top of that, LSU has never let Auburn bring their cooled benches.  With that, many players were overheating, and had to come off the field due to cramps.

Injuries were a major issues.  On defense, I believe on of the main issues was the breakdown in communication.  The two leaders on defense for communication were Tre Williams and Tray Matthews.  One did not play, and the other got injured.  This lead to communication mishaps.  Our center, Casey Dunn, also went down, who controls all of the calls for the offensive line.  We got hurt in the areas we really could not afford to lose.

The kick return was a big issue for me with the block in the back on Eli Stove that was never called.  That play was the momentum changer.  If that was called, the score may have ended up the same still, but who knows.

Our receivers just simply could not catch anything in the second half, or get any separation.  Stidham did all he could do and threw really pretty balls to the guys.  I don't really know what went wrong there.

I was disappointed in Aubie trolling LSU (and Ole Miss), essentially stooping to their level.  It is not like Aubie to do that.  And as we know it backfired big time.  Disappointed for sure.

Lastly, I want to address the fans as a whole.  I know this loss was frustrating.  It hurt big time.  But we need to stay away from attacking the players like some have done.  We also need to stay away from people like Heath Evans who uses Auburn for his personal gain.  He did this same thing in 2012.  I am very happy to see Nosa Eguae call him out this morning.  I agreed with everything he said.  I see many people blame Gus for the play calling when the last few weeks it was a consensus agreement that Chip Lindsey was calling the plays.  I did not agree with all of the play calling, but we have the coordinators to get this back on track.  We are 5-2, not 2-5.

We lost, and it is time to look ahead to Arkansas.  The world has not ended, just like it didn't after Clemson.  What those players need right now is for us to rally around them, not tear them apart.  I hope this gets through to at least one person.  Thank you.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've given Gus five years.

It's not working out. It's okay to go in a different direction. There's nothing wrong with that. It's business, not family matters.

Who's been tearing players apart? All I've seen is Gus being teared apart which is completely warranted.

Yes we gave chip credit bc it was pretty obvious he was calling plays- see stats breakdown of passing on first down. Then you could CLEARLY see malzahn at least influenced chip to call a run heavy offense even though it was obvious they were putting extra guys in the box. So yea i put that on gus. We have championship level talent and a coach that doesnt know how to use or is so scared to pass that he refuses to use it. Heath has every right to post that. Hes got more in this than any of us. He PLAYED for auburn. He knows what works and what doesnt. So yea i welcome his opinion

I would like note, I am not defending Gus, or how Auburn played.  Honestly I don't know how to feel right now.  It is more of a numb feeling at the moment.  Those were just factors I wanted to point out, whether or not those actually affected the outcome.

I honestly cannot believe that there are still sunshine pumpers after this inexplicable loss. Give me a break man.

It's virtually unanimous in the fan base that Gus is the problem.      This post makes no sense.    If you're happy with 8-4 or worse every year, you're in a distinct minority.   

I feel I must point out to the OP that no such post is complete that does not contain therein:

1) "dog ate the playbook"

2)"bad shellfish for lunch"

:nopityA:

the OP is exactly what’s wrong with AU . We just keep rolling over and saying “we kinda deserve this”. “It really not all that bad” “ I know it broken but it could be worse “. No way. It is time for Auburn folks to take control and say “we are Auburn and we will not except failure as an alternative to success”. Run folks that are not true Auburn fans and willing to accept less than what’s right out of our system. When you hear someone like this spout of crap about being ok with excepting being a loser, voice your opinion loudly. Shout till no one can hear these few fake fans. Auburn deserves better.

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I honestly cannot believe that there are still sunshine pumpers after this inexplicable loss. Give me a break man.

Well I am a person who sticks to my views.  I have no issue doing it, and have done it in the past.  I can get 50 face palms, but I will still stick to what I believe.  Many people on here jump from bandwagon to bandwagon depending on the outcome of the game.  For instance a few people who responded on this thread on Friday were saying that they were happy with how things are going with the coaching staff, and how games were being handled.  That should be more frustrating since they are showing what they post has no substance because they flip-flop with what everyone else is doing.

I understand everyone's views, and I may be alone in mine but that is okay.   You guys have made valid points this weekend and I respect what you guys have to say which is why I am not arguing my point to anyone.

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I would like note, I am not defending Gus, or how Auburn played.  Honestly I don't know how to feel right now.  It is more of a numb feeling at the moment.  Those were just factors I wanted to point out, whether or not those actually affected the outcome.

I feel for you abw, but those factors are null and void if Auburn is competitive in the 2nd half.  Those factors start weighing on a team when the fire is coached out of them.  The WR’s dropping balls was reminiscent of the 2nd half of UGA last year, when Will Harring starts to lose concentration you know you are in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

the OP is exactly what’s wrong with AU . We just keep rolling over and saying “we kinda deserve this”. “It really not all that bad” “ I know it broken but it could be worse “. No way. It is time for Auburn folks to take control and say “we are Auburn and we will not except failure as an alternative to success”. Run folks that are not true Auburn fans and willing to accept less than what’s right out of our system. When you hear someone like this spout of crap about being ok with excepting being a loser, voice your opinion loudly. Shout till no one can hear these few fake fans. Auburn deserves better.

Yeah I'm tired of folks saying that those who say the opposite of this are bama fans or fake fans...So stupid! If you want what's best for these players you fire him Point Blank.

10 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Not true Auburn fans because they don't agree with you?  That is a little dumb don't you think?  Last time I checked I drive to Auburn for every home game and away game within a 3 hour distance.  I also donate to the school every year.  Do you?  Not to mention I am also a graduate of the school.

Though I don't think of myself as a "sunshine pumper" I've been called one many times on here. That being said... Gus needs to find a new job. Whether it is him or Chip or whoever calling plays, it all falls on the HC. We have had some pretty horrible just lay down and take a beating type games against our rivals with Gus at the helm.

I also haven't seen this "tearing apart players, attacking players" talk you mentioned. If anything our posters are usually way too nice about the players and use coddling child speech when assessing their play. The players did have quite a few mistakes during the LSU game, we had key injuries and the guys who had to step up just weren't ready. That again though is something the coaches have to accept some of the blame for.

The only negative I see from losing Gus is we will almost certainly lose Steele, and that guy has done a great job and doesn't deserve to have to move again when he's no where near the problem.

35 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

We've given Gus five years

Gus has been a coach at Auburn for nearly 7 years. Time for a change today.

And OP, I've yet to see anyone truly blaming our wonderful players for this.  These guys are working their backsides off in a scheme that isn't working. How do you think the defense is going to feel when it has to practice this week? Probably emotionally beat down since the coach ran 3 and outs on offense all second half. How about Stidham? Being left to take a pounding on slow developing long balls. How about KJ? Just a workhorse.

Couple of things. We should not have been in position for a couple of no calls to change the game. Secondly a specific receiver flat out dropped 3 game defining balls thrown his way. Not to mention in no way was that Chips play calling after the 1st quarter

Is this a joke? I mean do you really not have enough football acumen to see what's taking place in these type of games? Do you really not see how we were mixing it up and throwing the ball around and moving the ball pretty much at will in the 1st qtr with ease, then once we get a lead we pretty much run dives and throw bombs on 3rd and short? Did you really not see how Gus told the team at the half "we're up by 9 in a place we haven't won at in a while, we're in good shape"? I mean....who says that when the team you're playing against has pulled back into the game and stolen all the momentum and also gets the ball 1st in the second half? You don't. You get in their ass and get them fired up and come out blasting with aggressive play calling, not vanilla, let's try to not lose, up the middle runs. You also, don't punt on 4th and 4 inches only up by 2 points. For crying out loud man, stop trying to rationalize this inept coaching and call it what it is. A chicken**** coach that doesn't trust his players or coaching staff...or himself for that matter to go out and win games by being aggressive and playing big boy football.

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Not true Auburn fans because they don't agree with you?  That is a little dumb don't you think?  Last time I checked I drive to Auburn for every home game and away game within a 3 hour distance.  I also donate to the school every year.  Do you?  Not to mention I am also a graduate of the school.

LMAO.....so you start in again with the "I am a better fan, because yada, yada, yada".  You need to drop that crap.

wde

Just now, TigerFanAU said:

Gus has been a coach at Auburn for nearly 7 years. Time for a change today.

And OP, I've yet to see anyone truly blaming our wonderful players for this.  These guys are working their backsides off in a scheme that isn't working. How do you think the defense is going to feel when it has to practice this week? Probably emotionally beat down since the coach ran 3 and outs on offense all second half. How about Stidham? Being left to take a pounding on slow developing long balls. 

To be fair, as an offensive coordinator he has earned his checks. 

Now come to think of it, when he was an OC he was aggressive and assertive. That may be because he wanted the coveted HC position, and now he has gotten it, he's coaching not to lose his job. 

Offensive coordinators and their schemes have a very short shelf life in the SEC...4 years tops.  An OC has to constantly adjust, if not reinvent themselves to maintain an advantage in this league.  We made a dumb hire and should've known we'd only get 2 or 3 decent years out of it.  His concepts were great 7 years ago...but it was never going to last.  We need to move on ASAP.

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

LMAO.....so you start in again with the "I am a better fan, because yada, yada, yada".  You need drop that crap.

wde

I have every right to defend myself if someone says I am not a true Auburn fan.  I in no way instigated that, or even had a rebuttal for anyones' differing opinions on the program or Gus himself.  What he said was truly uncalled for.

Archived