Softball Coaching Salaries

Some of the salaries are a bit a bit fuzzy to decipher but as best I can determine as follows:

Mickey Dean stated as total compensation of $250 K.  I do not believe details have yet been provided as might be related to bonus $.

Mike Smith at Ole Miss $190 K base salary.

Torina at LSU $225 K

Champer at UGA $ 180 K (2016)

Rachael Lawson at Kentucky $220 K with $10 K yearly increase over next several years not including incentive bonus potential $.

The Weekleys at UT make combined $ 467K.

Walton at FLA $305 before any bonus $.

I saved Patrick Murphy for last because of some interesting side bars.  He is listed as $265 K base salary with $40 K “talent fee” so he makes over $300 K.  In 2011 when he did the LSU/BAMA “flip flop” he was making $165 K but LSU offered $225 K which at the time would have been one of the top soft ball salaries in the country.  When he left he did not take Vann Stuedeman with him nor was she retained when he “returned” to UA a couple of days later (showed some love and matched salary).  Of course, Vann Stuedeman was then hired by Mississippi State.  I could not get a read on her salary. 

On the national front we know the Oklahoma coach makes very close to $ 1 million per year.  Mike Candrea at Arizona a base of $345 plus performance bonus and some other incentives.  I was surprised that Carol Hutchins at Michigan, a good program, was listed at around $238 K.  Thought she would be higher.

With what appears to be a  rapid increased interest in softball I believe we will see escalation in these salaries especially if a program wants to protect their coach from a suitor.  If Coach Dean is successful then AU needs to be prepared to advance his financial package.  War Eagle.

4 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Some of the salaries are a bit a bit fuzzy to decipher but as best I can determine as follows:

Mickey Dean stated as total compensation of $250 K.  I do not believe details have yet been provided as might be related to bonus $.

Torina at LSU $225 K

Rachael Lawson at Kentucky $220 K with $10 K yearly increase over next several years not including incentive bonus potential $.

I saved Patrick Murphy for last because of some interesting side bars.  He is listed as $265 K base salary with $40 K “talent fee” so he makes over $300 K.  In 2011 when he did the LSU/BAMA “flip flop” he was making $165 K but LSU offered $225 K which at the time would have been one of the top soft ball salaries in the country.  When he left he did not take Vann Stuedeman with him nor was she retained when he “returned” to UA a couple of days later (showed some love and matched salary).  Of course, Vann Stuedeman was then hired by Mississippi State.  I could not get a read on her salary. 

On the national front we know the Oklahoma coach makes very close to $ 1 million per year.  Mike Candrea at Arizona a base of $345 plus performance bonus and some other incentives.  I was surprised that Carol Hutchins at Michigan, a good program, was listed at around $238 K.  Thought she would be higher.

With what appears to be a  rapid increased interest in softball I believe we will see escalation in these salaries especially if a program wants to protect their coach from a suitor.  If Coach Dean is successful then AU needs to be prepared to advance his financial package.  War Eagle.

I expect that Hutchins suffers salary-wise because of her loyalty to UM     Coaches apparently have to be willing to leave to shake more money out of their schools....like the Murphy situation.    I recall that Arizona bumped up their coach's salary almost immediately when AU cut loose from CCM...took no chance to get into a bidding war. .

7 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Torina at LSU $225 K

Good info.  Thanks. 

Archived