What is worse: 2012 or wasting talent

GwillMac6

46 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Absolutely! You give Gus all the teams that Saban has had on his run and he STILL will manage to lose 2 or 3 each season.

No doubt.

wde

This is a tough one for me. Seeing all this talent being completely wasted is painful but 2012 was brutal. I have seen plenty of AU teams miss expectations and play below their potential (‘84 & ‘85 WDE I was in school qualify) but 2012 was the only AU team I remember that completely gave up for at least half of a season (go back and rewatch the UGA and Bammer games and especially the TAMU game from that year if you need to jog your memory)

17 minutes ago, alexava said:

Talent was wasted as much in 2012. 

When Jonathan Wallace (yes a great classy Auburn MAN) is your QB going in to Amen corner your point is very hard to argue for.

7 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Syracuse says WASSSUPPPPP!!!! 

And watch Clemson make it right back to the college football playoffs for the third straight year . Why ? Great talent , great coaching . 

58 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

When Jonathan Wallace (yes a great classy Auburn MAN) is your QB going in to Amen corner your point is very hard to argue for.

Because our 5 star qb and Mosley were on the bench scared. There was much talent on that squad that quit. Stayed on the team but quit trying. 

2 hours ago, alexava said:

Talent was wasted as much in 2012. 

I dont know if theres a single player across the entire board from that team that would start on this one sans Phillip. That team literally got shoved around by ULM. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Because our 5 star qb and Mosley were on the bench scared. There was much talent on that squad that quit. Stayed on the team but quit trying. 

Kiehl Frazier is probably the least pro style QB in the history of QBs so Id agree that he was wasted. Clint Mosley wasted a QB spot more than anything. But I wouldnt for a second assume actually talented players quit on this team. The RBs still tried and thats pretty much the only wealth of talent we had offensively back then. Emory Blake was great but his #2 was an even less developed Sammie Coates and behind them was....the offensive line wasn't on paper (like ratings wise) bad or untalented, but I dont know, they did about as much blocking wise in the start as they did at the end. I don't remember too much from that defense that looked talented at any point that season I'mma be honest with you. I know a couple guys looked great with the next regime, but I dont think anybody performed so unbelievably the year prior or in the games where we hadn't given up that I'd say we wasted em. The only move I'd make is redshirting Dee Ford so he'd wind up playing in 2014 and we'd have some semblance of a pulse in the pass rush that year. That's really it, everyone else did what they had to do  

I guess we find out these next 5 games.  ULM is the only gimme.  I think we beat Arky but after last weekend I'm not so sure.  I doubt we beat A&M but we might.  If we play like the other big games we have little chance against UGA and Bammer.  So this year might be worse.  We might have wasted talent and they may quit.  After last weekend it is going to take a good coaching job just to keep them from quitting.  

Chizik recruited just as well as Gus, so I don't know if I'd say that 2012 was "lack of talent."  AU won the freaking NC two years prior.

What happened in 2012 is Scott Loeffler and a QB who wasn't ready to run that offense.

Wasting talent is worse. I don't remember much complaining about the losses to the turds, and Oklahoma in '16. We were wounded, and they were peaking. Losing these crucial games, while we're on the bubble, by not running....you know.....regular offensive plays? 

19 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

This and it’s going to keep us from getting talent for a while.IMHO

What makes me concerned is that acquiring talent the equivalent of UGA/UAT/LSU/aTm/UF, etc. has been made more difficult due to the coaching staff.  The fact that our attrition rate seems to continue to climb (we've lost 3 players during the season.)  Getting the 4-5*'s here is a hard task, but when we see them transfer out or get kicked to the curb for various reasons, then the problem is ten fold and you end up in a hole that's hard as hell to dig out of. 

2012 was worse so far. Hated seeing the team just quit the last half of the year. That may yet still happen with this team but so far they seem to still be trying. Only good thing about 2012 was we knew there would be a change and had hope for next season. I've mentally checked out of AU football until we start the coaching search. Which really sucks cause i look forward to this time of year so much. But i'm done watching Gus lead teams. I'll catch the box score and re-wind should it look worth while. I have better things to do on weekends then watch bad football from the team i love. 

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That 2012 team wasn't as talented as this one, but talent was not its primary issue. The particulars can be debated, but make no mistake, the 2012 season was a story of failure at the top.

Any of you that think right now is worse than 2012,  you should put the bottle and the pills down.  Seriously people. You actually want to argue that this is worse than losing to Texas A&M by 40+ points in JHS.  That is delusional.

9 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I guess we find out these next 5 games.  ULM is the only gimme.  I think we beat Arky but after last weekend I'm not so sure.  I doubt we beat A&M but we might.  If we play like the other big games we have little chance against UGA and Bammer.  So this year might be worse.  We might have wasted talent and they may quit.  After last weekend it is going to take a good coaching job just to keep them from quitting.  

One thing I have never seen on a Gus coached team is a team that quits.  It would be the first time if it happened.  People forget that it was Gus that saved our butt in 2013 from drifting away to the land of cellar dweller.  That doesn't mean that 8 wins is enough, I'm not arguing that, but to act as though the man has never coached a lick is ridiculous.

They are both of epic proportions "bad".   I think wasting talent is worse because a coach can lose a team, but wasting talent is horrible and fireable.  

18 hours ago, AU9377 said:

One thing I have never seen on a Gus coached team is a team that quits.  It would be the first time if it happened.  People forget that it was Gus that saved our butt in 2013 from drifting away to the land of cellar dweller.  That doesn't mean that 8 wins is enough, I'm not arguing that, but to act as though the man has never coached a lick is ridiculous.

No but I have seen a coach that quits quite often.

2012 was the worst season in AU history. To compare that to being 5-2 and actually currently ranked is absurd.

That being said, wasting national title caliber talent is worse IMO. 2012 team had talent -- 2013 proved that. They were just failed by the staff as @McLoofus already said. But 2012 team did not have a QB so the ceiling was capped to an extent.

Archived