Name your method of protesting

musicitytiger

Well, in recent years I’ve only been able to make a game or two each season and I’m not gonna not take my 9 year old down to experience AU gameday. Life is too short and we are not gonna miss those experiences. So whatever little I spend in the stadium will go to wherever it goes and I’m fine with that. Doesn’t mean I like what’s happening but there is always a bigger picture with these issues. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my $.02 on the protest by not going to games thing.  I think doing that will hurt us in the long run no matter who our coach is.  Think about it.  We have UGA and Bama coming in at the end of the year which will undoubtedly have big time recruits in the house, and these are big time games even if we don't have a shot at the playoffs anymore.  The last thing we need to show recruits is our fanbase bailing on our team.  They won't know all the ins and outs of what's happened with Gus over the years and all they will see is what we give them during those weekends.  We need to stand behind our school and provide the electric atmosphere JHS is known for to hopefully keep the cupboard from having to be totally restocked.  Not to mention what several others have said about life being too short.  

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Bingo. Life is too damn short to protest Auburn football games.  Before you know it,  you’re too damn old and decrepit to travel to the games and make your way to your seats.  

Sorry, I have a problem with donating my money and seeing what's being done with it. Gus and Jacobs make way too much money for what we're donating to.

Not going to games is not the thing to do.  I say that in defense of the players, not the coach.  Remember those players are playing their hearts out, and risking the health of their own bodies to play for Auburn.  Not going to a game is saying to them you could care less about them.  Think it is hot sitting in those stands in September, the field is a lot hotter and humid.  Tired after the game?  The players are exhausted.  Feet hurt walking to the stadium because your parking spot is 1/2 mile away?  Sometimes those players have to be carted off the field too because they got hurt.  The same message goes to the recruits as well.  Find another way to protest without disrespecting the players.

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Not going to games is not the thing to do.  I say that in defense of the players, not the coach.  Remember those players are playing their hearts out, and risking the health of their own bodies to play for Auburn.  

This is false in so many ways. First, they're getting a full-ride scholarship, which is a comforting perk in case any of them feel disrespected.  Second, they are being sent to be slaughtered with terrible play-calling.  How many more beatings does Stidham need to take while he waits on receivers to run poor routes?  How many more hits does KJ need to take?  

The fact of the matter is that money talks loudly.  Cut off the money stream and changes will be made.  Instead of spending money in Auburn all football weekend, take it somewhere else.  That's the key for change.  I'm not an anarchist and it pains me deeply to speak like this, but quite frankly I am sick of the way the athletic department is being run.  A few big wigs making an ungodly amount of money, without accountability.  I said it in another post, but I quit donating once details of the immoral softball scandal broke. As a father, that hit me on a different level. It felt corrupt and wrong. I want Jacobs gone! Auburn needs an AD who hears the loyal fans and protects the student-athletes, not a guy who is trying to protect his job at all costs.

I rarely make it to games these days due to distance and real-world responsibilities.  I do, however, donate every year in March. 

So right now I'm angry at Gus for being an incompetent boob and I'm angry at myself for being a chump.  Next year's $$$ stays with me if Gus Malzahn is still in town. 

I could care less about Gus right now.  THE PROBLEM has been and will be Jacobs.  I wont be comfortable  until he has been removed.  We could have hired Gary Patterson in 2009 but instead ended up with Mr. 5-19

6 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

This is false in so many ways. First, they're getting a full-ride scholarship, which is a comforting perk in case any of them feel disrespected.  Second, they are being sent to be slaughtered with terrible play-calling.  How many more beatings does Stidham need to take while he waits on receivers to run poor routes?  How many more hits does KJ need to take?  

The fact of the matter is that money talks loudly.  Cut off the money stream and changes will be made.  Instead of spending money in Auburn all football weekend, take it somewhere else.  That's the key for change.  I'm not an anarchist and it pains me deeply to speak like this, but quite frankly I am sick of the way the athletic department is being run.  A few big wigs making an ungodly amount of money, without accountability.  I said it in another post, but I quit donating once details of the immoral softball scandal broke. As a father, that hit me on a different level. It felt corrupt and wrong. I want Jacobs gone! Auburn needs an AD who hears the loyal fans and protects the student-athletes, not a guy who is trying to protect his job at all costs.

Here is the thing that you are forgetting.  Season tickets are already paid for.  Been paid for months in advance.  Whether or not you go to games now doesn't matter as far as monetary gain is concerned for the university.  So what are you really cutting off?  Actually the only people you are now hurting is the small business owners in/around Auburn that are not employed by the university because you are now not shopping their stores or eating at their restaurants.  So, like many before me have stated on this thread alone, not going to games in protest is not a good idea in the slightest.

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Whether or not you go to games now doesn't matter as far as monetary gain is concerned for the university.  So what are you really cutting off?  Actually the only people you are now hurting is the small business owners in/around Auburn

That would Jacobs fault, not the fans who refuse to travel. Jacobs made his choices and I can refuse to support them.  Also, cutting donation from all the various Auburn clubs is a direct impact the little guy can have. I want Auburn to succeed, but will not continue to support a failed leader.

Just now, TigerFanAU said:

That would Jacobs fault, not the fans who refuse to travel. Jacobs made his choices and I can refuse to support them.  Also, cutting donation from all the various Auburn clubs is a direct impact the little guy can have. I want Auburn to succeed, but will not continue to support a failed leader.

Again that doesn't help anything.  The local Auburn clubs do not have anything to do with Auburn sports.  They are for Auburn alumni that do tailgates, charity events, and socials.  You are hurting the wrong people here.  You can be mad at JJ all you want, and you have your reasons.  And that would still fall on the fans for not going because they weren't forced not to come.  Auburn already got their money for the tickets and the donation required to get them.  All it hurts is the players and our recruiting.  I understand your frustration, but you need to channel it to the right places where you get the most out of your efforts.

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Again that doesn't help anything.  The local Auburn clubs do not have anything to do with Auburn sports.  They are for Auburn alumni that do tailgates, charity events, and socials.  You are hurting the wrong people here.  You can be mad at JJ all you want, and you have your reasons.  And that would still fall on the fans for not going because they weren't forced not to come.  Auburn already got their money for the tickets and the donation required to get them.  All it hurts is the players and our recruiting.  I understand your frustration, but you need to channel it to the right places where you get the most out of your efforts.

What is your suggestion then? Mean emails, harsh Twitter comments? Unfortunately, my emails and complaints about Jacobs have failed to produce change (imagine that). It's not an intentional "hurt" on fellow Auburn fans. It's a by-product of failed leadership. Again, from a moral perspective, I quit donating after the softball scandal. When Jacobs is gone I'll come to town again. It's not like I'm some large donor, but its the one little voice I can control, but that's just me. This is the last I speak on the subject.

14 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Drink more beer 

... and cuss more.

Problem is, I might have begun my protest campaign too early in the season. Might not be noticed against my recent baseline.

"Where's the point?" [Little Oblio]

16 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

What is your suggestion then? Mean emails, harsh Twitter comments? Unfortunately, my emails and complaints about Jacobs have failed to produce change (imagine that). It's not an intentional "hurt" on fellow Auburn fans. It's a by-product of failed leadership. Again, from a moral perspective, I quit donating after the softball scandal. When Jacobs is gone I'll come to town again. It's not like I'm some large donor, but its the one little voice I can control, but that's just me. This is the last I speak on the subject.

I know there was a thread about a petition to fire Gus or JJ or both.  I can't remember.  That is probably the best way to directly voice you concern without collateral damage.

For me, people not attending goes back to last year during the Clemson game when our fans booed our offense.  I know the fans were booing the play calling, but some players thought it was directed to them and they were getting booed because they did not get the play done like it was supposed to go.  We need to support the players at a minimum however.

3 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

How many signatures do we have for firing the AD first?

Idk somebody needs to start one...There probably already is one.

If Yall don't want people skipping games fine...But something has to be done by the students and fans. We can all agree on that right?

I won't be attending the UGA game or the Iron Bowl anymore. It's not out of protest or anything. I just don't want to spend the insane amount of money those tickets are going for just to watch us lose to teams we have the talent to beat.

14 hours ago, GoAU said:

So true.  The season is too short and there is too much time before the next one to spend it bent out of shape. I'll still watch and try to enjoy the games, but my expectations are beginning to change. 

Agree...about any form of "protest" falls on the players and I'm supporting the team as long the players (team) are  giving it a serious effort.   Most of our shortcomings on the field thus far seem to be caused by honest mistakes...not lack of commitment  or effort.

JMO .....this team has the capability of winning every remaining game if it would and could play an entire game like the first half of several games this year.  

The primary question is whether the coaching is up to the task ....and considering how defensive Gus has been about his "strategy" in post games....I'm of the mind that he will play it the same way from here on out...which would be too bad for him and AU fans.

I wrote an email to AU's president a few weeks ago regarding Jay Jacobs.  I believe if we all send emails/letters to him and the BOT, they will get the message regarding the replacement of Jay and Gus.  Our athletes and assistant coaches deserve great leadership from their head coaches and the AD.  Once AU has a competent, professional AD,  he/she should be able to hire great head coaches and manage a reputable athletic department.

15 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

No, go to the games as usual, buy some concessions,  keep the money flowing, get your normal seats, and wear the brown paper bag.

Nothing says “”Ef this!!” like the brown paper bag. Empty stadiums can be confused for apathy and can also look pathetic. Not to mention it hurts our budget for buying cool new amenities while we try to keep up with recruiting. 

11,Just can't do it anymore. I have a daughter who lives in Auburn. I go to see her and the grandkids but just cannot bring myself to attend the games and witness the buffoon play calling. It is bad enough to see it on T.V. and just as bad to listen to on the radio(which I usually do each and every Saturday). That's a long drive for me but my daughter and grandkids are worth it and the drive through downtown. Absolutely a beautiful place. Just cannot go to anymore games as long as Gus is the HC. Have not felt this way since the Barfield years. Been taking a pass on tickets here lately so that others can just go to see Auburn for themselves.

I'M not protesting, I'm just abstaining. Abstain: (according to Webster's) to do without willingly; hold oneself back......

20 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Most people of this kind usually block traffic and lock arms causing major heartburn for others.   Gus will find away to get fired.  He doesnt need people to protest.   

I think he has already found it!!

8 hours ago, keesler said:

Bingo. Life is too damn short to protest Auburn football games.  Before you know it,  you’re too damn old and decrepit to travel to the games and make your way to your seats.  

Visit a nursing home and ask the die hard AU fans how they feel about an able bodied fan protesting and refusing to go to games because at midseason the Tigers have two losses.

talking about me....lots of things I can do...play golf 3 or 4 times a week but sure can't climb to row 47 or wherever.  Saw the Mercer game and did fine getting down to my row...but getting back...that was really crap.  Don't think I will do that again....and hate it....

ABW is generally right. The players don’t want and don’t deserve to play for empty stands and hear boos all game. My main thing is that we need to send forceful messages narrowed toward the coaching staff without jeopardizing recruiting relations. Because we will need recruits for the new coach to develop. We also need to deliver upon our reputation of being a tight knit group. It will be a bad look for the recruits to see empty stands. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

ABW is generally right. The players don’t want and don’t deserve to play for empty stands and hear boos all game. My main thing is that we need to send forceful messages narrowed toward the coaching staff without jeopardizing recruiting relations. Because we will need recruits for the new coach to develop. We also need to deliver upon our reputation of being a tight knit group. It will be a bad look for the recruits to see empty stands- for all they will know is that the fans forsaken the players. 

Ultimately empty seats are the result.....TV is pretty careful not to show the vast wasteland that is the UT, or Mizz stadium at kick-off....or after the half.

AU fans are pretty loyal ...but there are probably limits..even for AU.

Archived