Name your method of protesting

musicitytiger

My method of protesting is to not protest, to be a fan of Auburn football and hope for the best possible outcome for the team and all the players who bust their arse week in and week out pretty much all year long.  If I were going to protest anything, it would be the relentless negativity of some folks even after a nice win.  I have to say that I read the message boards much less these days as the negativity just saps my enjoyment of AU football.

I'm going on 57 years old. I've been a fan of AU since 1972 when I was 11.  I lived through the painful final season of Shug Jordan and the dark days of Barfield. I rejoiced at the renaissance brought to AU by Pat Dye and "First Time Ever" after hearing for years that bammer would *never* agree to play at Jordan-Hare. When Tot came in and went 20-1-1 to start, I loved it.  And when that all fell apart I hated it.  When Chiz came in I was skeptical, but I will never forget AU's first consensus national championship in my lifetime regardless of how the Chiz era came crashing down in 2012.  I loved the 2013 Tigers and I thought our Tigers had a real shot at getting back to the championship in '14 right up until the meltdown against aTm and the losses that followed.

Maybe being what amounts to an old timer with all the ups and downs AU has been through since I became a fan as a young person just serves to moderate what I feel.  I want AU to be good, to win consistently and to always be in the hunt for the SEC and more. But I just can't see withholding my support from the team and the players in any way regardless of who is coaching, even if I want that coach gone. 

(Any of you who are determined to boycott, if you have tickets to any remaining home games, I'd appreciate it if you might send 'em to me. Not kidding.)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, GoAU said:

Feel bad for those guys that didn't get to see the game yesterday due to their "protests"....

In one of my threads I predicted yesterday.  While the performance yesterday was good and fun to watch, it’s part of the cycle.  We’ll look impressive in every game up to uga, then Gus won’t be able to keep his hands off of the offense........and the Gus bus will sputter and smoke to the end of the season.

i don’t want to be right, but I’ve seen it.......we’ve all seen it.  I respectfully decline to have to witness it in person.  I applaud those with more patience than yours truly that will continue to attend with Gus at the helm.

On 10/16/2017 at 8:02 PM, musicitytiger said:

Our current coach.

My list includes (as long as Gus is coach):

1) I won’t attend 1 more game 

2) not watching any more episodes of the auburn football review

3) not watching any more episodes of auburn everyday

some may think this is being a little sour and harmful to our school, but as an alum that loves our school..........I can’t watch this assclown Coach our team anymore.

lol this only sports entertainment...that’s it - nothing more. . I would love to see Auburn athletics dominate in every way but I will not allow it to turn me into a loon. Some of you seriously need to pull it together. Hell the team still has a chance to do something special. If they fail then strap up the recliner up and get ready to support them again next season, whether it’s Gus or someone else. 

Some people define “loon” in different ways.  Not paying for gas, restaurants, lodging to go watch something that frustrates them..........yep, sounds completely insane.

some people savor every minute of the season, even when our players are getting a swift kick to the junk by the coaching staff on any given Saturday.  I’m glad we have fans like that.  And sure.......that sounds “sane” too?

On 10/21/2017 at 3:50 PM, CJBas said:

1.  Write to the university president demanding cleaning house in the athletic department.

2.  Write to trustees demanding the same thing.

3.  Don't buy any more tickets to any Auburn sports events.

4.  Cease giving money to Auburn until this whole mess is cleared up.

3 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

This philosophy with #3 and #4 will harm the current players, damage recruiting and could set Auburn back at least 10 years. Try a little perspective.

Some of the older fans, like myself, will support our team through it all.  And Tigerbelle, your heart is in the right place but if some of these kids can't bear to watch then it is better they stay home.  True story - two years ago an Ohio state fan and his wife sat on the row behind where my wife and I had our season tickets.  He was older and we had a great time chatting it up before the game.  He had a great pregame tailgate experience and was quite "pumped up" for the Auburn game day.  He had reached a point in life where he was visiting the "must see" stadiums around the country - and Auburn was on that list.  It was the 15 Georgia game no less.  The stadium was dismal.  There were some drunk young Auburn "fans" a couple rows behind us whose foul mouths could have sailors jumping off the top deck of an aircraft carrier.  It was miserable.  He left at halftime and his experience was "toxic."  I guess these two idiots thought ... well I don't know what they thought.  I got a news flash for some of you younger ones who are entitled winning seasons and better coaching.  I played sports.  I busted my chops.  And I can tell you the coaches and players are far more miserable in a loss than you.  Some times that's all we had - the coaches and each other.  But when you behave like this, you instill a solid "why do I even bother when I get fed this trash."  And that doesn't come from bad coach decisions.  It comes from bad fans - who we generally blocked out and ignored.  But every now and again a stinger would get through.  That is why I always cheer them on even when they lose. So therefore, some of you eat up with grief, angst and misery - I fully support you staying home.  I went to Auburn.  I have a son there now.  And my Auburn is far more than a winning football season.  And those kids bust their chops for us.  I have always felt a real sense of family in my Auburn community.  This year I feel I need to put a few of you up for adoption.  If you are serious about contributing positively to the University or the football program, then think of what you can do to help not burn it to the ground.   I left Auburn and found some measure of success.  I give to the school.  I love Auburn and you will not get me to join your temper tantrums.  I don't discount your concerns - but there are far more effective methods to handle them than acting like children. 

Edit: To be clear-I will still give to Auburn as I am able because Auburn is more to me than a few football games. 

47 minutes ago, oldaufeller said:

Some of the older fans, like myself, will support our team through it all.  And Tigerbelle, your heart is in the right place but if some of these kids can't bear to watch then it is better they stay home.  True story - two years ago an Ohio state fan and his wife sat on the row behind where my wife and I had our season tickets.  He was older and we had a great time chatting it up before the game.  He had a great pregame tailgate experience and was quite "pumped up" for the Auburn game day.  He had reached a point in life where he was visiting the "must see" stadiums around the country - and Auburn was on that list.  It was the 15 Georgia game no less.  The stadium was dismal.  There were some drunk young Auburn "fans" a couple rows behind us whose foul mouths could have sailors jumping off the top deck of an aircraft carrier.  It was miserable.  He left at halftime and his experience was "toxic."  I guess these two idiots thought ... well I don't know what they thought.  I got a news flash for some of you younger ones who are entitled winning seasons and better coaching.  I played sports.  I busted my chops.  And I can tell you the coaches and players are far more miserable in a loss than you.  Some times that's all we had - the coaches and each other.  But when you behave like this, you instill a solid "why do I even bother when I get fed this trash."  And that doesn't come from bad coach decisions.  It comes from bad fans - who we generally blocked out and ignored.  But every now and again a stinger would get through.  That is why I always cheer them on even when they lose. So therefore, some of you eat up with grief, angst and misery - I fully support you staying home.  I went to Auburn.  I have a son there now.  And my Auburn is far more than a winning football season.  And those kids bust their chops for us.  I have always felt a real sense of family in my Auburn community.  This year I feel I need to put a few of you up for adoption.  If you are serious about contributing positively to the University or the football program, then think of what you can do to help not burn it to the ground.   I left Auburn and found some measure of success.  I give to the school.  I love Auburn and you will not get me to join your temper tantrums.  I don't discount your concerns - but there are far more effective methods to handle them than acting like children. 

Edit: To be clear-I will still give to Auburn as I am able because Auburn is more to me than a few football games. 

well said. we think the loss stings. it hurts the guys who are putting in the work a lot more. i will always stand for AU in good and bad times...

I am just thankful to hear from fans that have a similar outlook to this season, and sports in general, that I have. Hate losing, but it won't define me or even my weekend.  It sure won't stop me from supporting AU.  

I also second the request, that if any "protestors" need somewhere to send their tickets, I will shoot you my address. 

1 hour ago, oldaufeller said:

This year I feel I need to put a few of you up for adoption.  If you are serious about contributing positively to the University or the football program, then think of what you can do to help not burn it to the ground. 

We are essentially saying the same thing.....that there is absolutely no reason to intentionally cause harm to the Auburn program. I do believe these fans have completely lost their perspective about college football when they want to boycott their own team because of some struggles the team is having.

Good grief at the self-righteous bull that goes on with this board.  If some fans on this board or of AU in general decide not to watch a game on tv or even not go to a game then that is their prerogative.  I highly doubt there will be very many that actually do it though and most are just expressing justifiable frustration with the state of the program.  Doesn't make them any less an AU fan if they do.  In fact, wanting what is best for AU might make them better than those who don't "protest".  Not one single player or coach is going to care if Joe Schmo isn't sitting in front of his TV or in his seat JHS.  AU athletics will not go under if he isn't there or decides to clean out his garage during the game.  I would bet 99% of the folk saying they won't watch will be in front of that TV come Saturdays or at least listening to Rod and Stan.  All that being said, no one has been harder on Gus than I have and I watched the game Saturday.  Admittedly I didn't sit and watch every down like I normally would.  I was cooking a big meal for the fam and also watching a movie with my wife so I would check in with my son to see how it was going.  After 30 plus years of watching every game and mostly every down of those games, if I choose to not spend an entire evening glued to the set after repeatedly being let down by our current coach, does that make me less of a fan??? Does it mean I love Auburn less??? I hope not but if it does then so be it.  It's hard to get excited about beating Arky when we all know what might have been if our coach had not boned up the LSU game.  Protest if you want, don't protest if you want but good grief quit trying to judge someone's Auburn fandom by how they react.  They probably wouldn't spend so much time on a message board if they didn't care. . 

All right CleCoTiger....I was here first asking for tickets from the protesters!!! ;D  It's been 5 or 6 days now and I've yet to get a single offer or PM!

I watched the DVR today and heard Jordan Rodgers say that about 1/3 of AU's first downs plays in the 2nd half of the LSU game were RPO but the defense dictated a run.  I'm hoping Gus, Jarrett and others learned from the meltdown and can apply those lessons to future situations.

And I'm still looking for 4 ULM tickets for 11/18!

The alleged boycotters of AU football  remind me of all the celebs who promised to move to Canada if a certain person won the last presidential election. Those celebs ain't gone yet, and will not get gone. Their failure to keep their promises is our loss, as we'd be happier without them. The same pretty much applies to boycotters of AU sports.

15 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

Some people define “loon” in different ways.  Not paying for gas, restaurants, lodging to go watch something that frustrates them..........yep, sounds completely insane.

some people savor every minute of the season, even when our players are getting a swift kick to the junk by the coaching staff on any given Saturday.  I’m glad we have fans like that.  And sure.......that sounds “sane” too?

One thing to keep in mind here with that response.  Not paying for the gas (well maybe not the gas), lodging, food does not hurt the university in the slightest.  I had a conversation with another poster on this thread last week about this.  It hurts the people in Auburn who call Auburn their permanent home who depend on people like you to come to the games so they can feed their own children.  Look at it this way, when you decide not to go to Auburn and eat out after the game (or before) at Niffers, do you think that hurts the university?  If not, then who do you think it hurts?  The owner?  That waitress trying to put herself through college, or feed her kids since she is a single mom?  There are always many factors in every decision we make.  All I ask is you consider this before you make the decision not to go to the next home game.

On 10/22/2017 at 6:39 PM, OnthePlains said:

Good grief at the self-righteous bull that goes on with this board.  If some fans on this board or of AU in general decide not to watch a game on tv or even not go to a game then that is their prerogative.  I highly doubt there will be very many that actually do it though and most are just expressing justifiable frustration with the state of the program.  Doesn't make them any less an AU fan if they do.  In fact, wanting what is best for AU might make them better than those who don't "protest".  Not one single player or coach is going to care if Joe Schmo isn't sitting in front of his TV or in his seat JHS.  AU athletics will not go under if he isn't there or decides to clean out his garage during the game.  I would bet 99% of the folk saying they won't watch will be in front of that TV come Saturdays or at least listening to Rod and Stan.  All that being said, no one has been harder on Gus than I have and I watched the game Saturday.  Admittedly I didn't sit and watch every down like I normally would.  I was cooking a big meal for the fam and also watching a movie with my wife so I would check in with my son to see how it was going.  After 30 plus years of watching every game and mostly every down of those games, if I choose to not spend an entire evening glued to the set after repeatedly being let down by our current coach, does that make me less of a fan??? Does it mean I love Auburn less??? I hope not but if it does then so be it.  It's hard to get excited about beating Arky when we all know what might have been if our coach had not boned up the LSU game.  Protest if you want, don't protest if you want but good grief quit trying to judge someone's Auburn fandom by how they react.  They probably wouldn't spend so much time on a message board if they didn't care. . 

NO ONE is being self righteous. You might want to look in your own mirror.....

43 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

NO ONE is being self righteous. You might want to look in your own mirror.....

I looked in the mirror and I saw an Auburn fan who loves the university and is tired of the crap on and off the field.  Have a nice night. 

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

The alleged boycotters of AU football  remind me of all the celebs who promised to move to Canada if a certain person won the last presidential election. Those celebs ain't gone yet, and will not get gone. Their failure to keep their promises is our loss, as we'd be happier without them. The same pretty much applies to boycotters of AU sports.

Oh dear lord. 

"Oh my, oh my, you so-called "fans" that want Auburn to win more than 7 or 8 games a year and not blow 20 point leads to subpar teams who lost at home to Troy are just horrible.  Horrible I tell ya.  You're  not "real" Auburn people at all.  You're just fairweather  fans is all.  How dare you ask for your team to win games and not blow leads.  How dare you ask to compete with your rivals and not just beat up bad teams!!!! I am so glad we can see all the "real" Auburn fans on this board.. 

43 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

"Oh my, oh my, you so-called "fans" that want Auburn to win more than 7 or 8 games a year and not blow 20 point leads to subpar teams who lost at home to Troy are just horrible.  Horrible I tell ya.  You're  not "real" Auburn people at all.  You're just fairweather  fans is all.  How dare you ask for your team to win games and not blow leads.  How dare you ask to compete with your rivals and not just beat up bad teams!!!! I am so glad we can see all the "real" Auburn fans on this board.. 

Take it from me, arguing about "real fans" does not end well for anyone.  I say that in a self-mocking way and don't want that to be you.  Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are wrong.  I say this to help, not hurt my friend.  "Don't be me, be better than me."  -Cam Newton

Just now, abw0004 said:

Take it from me, arguing about "real fans" does not end well for anyone.  I say that in a self-mocking way and don't want that to be you.  Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are wrong.  I say this to help, not hurt my friend.  "Don't be me, be better than me."  -Cam Newton

Sorry, my post is meant to be sarcastic.  I agree with you but I was pointing out the fans who are questioning other fans "fandom" because they are upset about the current state of affairs. 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Sorry, my post is meant to be sarcastic.  I agree with you but I was pointing out the fans who are questioning other fans "fandom" because they are upset about the current state of affairs. 

No worries!  Just don't want you to make the mistake I did, because it made me feel terrible and to be frank, embarrassed.  We are all on the same team here.  Hey, who knows, you might be sitting next to them at the game and not even know it.  

Funny story, at the Ole Miss game, the guy in front of me that bought tickets from friends of ours was on his phone during the game, on the AUFamily forum of all places.  I was hoping he was a regular so I could introduce who I was, but it was just a guy who liked to read stuff, and did not have a profile.  

Just now, abw0004 said:

No worries!  Just don't want you to make the mistake I did, because it made me feel terrible and to be frank, embarrassed.  We are all on the same team here.  Hey, who knows, you might be sitting next to them at the game and not even know it.  

Funny story, at the Ole Miss game, the guy in front of me that bought tickets from friends of ours was on his phone during the game, on the AUFamily forum of all places.  I was hoping he was a regular so I could introduce who I was, but it was just a guy who liked to read stuff, and did not have a profile.  

I appreciate the post.  I have certainly made some enemies on here and I don't like that but I also know that a message board is for ALL opinions.  I don't agree with everyone and they certainly don't have to agree with me.  I promise I'm a really nice guy in real life!  

I would love to meet some of the AUFamily in person.  No where else but Jordan-Hare Stadium have I hugged so many strangers after big plays or wins for our Tigers.  I was at the 97 Iron Bowl and after Holmes's kick went through I remember hugging 20 people I had never met in my life before that night.  Some great memories with Auburn people.  Hate that things get a bit nasty on here sometimes but again it is a place for opinions. 

Archived