NBA Thread

aujeff11

If there is any consolation, they still have zilch bench scoring and they basically brought in a guy at a position that they hardly use. Also, Boogie can be a cancer and he’s not slated to be ready to play until around January. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If there is any consolation, they still have zilch bench scoring and they basically brought in a guy at a position that they hardly use. Also, Boogie can be a cancer and he’s not slated to be ready to play until around January. 

Please basketball upper echelon make Boogie, Draymond, and KD fight to the death.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Please basketball upper echelon make Boogie, Draymond, and KD fight to the death.

KD will run to Draymond and form an alliance against Cousins. Haha

Kanter bringing the boom: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Late to the party here.  My thoughts for my team (OKC Thunder) if anyone follows them as well.  Felt like redemption with PG13 resigning with an option for 7 years after KD bolted for the easy route.  With Roberson back to full health this will be another contender team.  Also happy to see Grant get resigned.  Every year he has made leaps in his game.  Will be a very special player.  I would like for us to resign Corey Brewer as Roberson's back-up.  Brewer did an outstanding job filling in and has the energy to keep up with Westbrook.  I am on the fence with Carmelo staying or going.  The salary is ridiculous and he did not play well, but I am also willing to give him another year to see if the chemistry is any better.  Good veteran on the floor for the younger guys.  Nerlens Noel is a good gamble on both sides with him being signed.  It is a good place for him to start over, and a good deal financially for OKC who is heavily in the luxury tax.  I am also on the fence in resigning Raymond Felton.  At times he was good, and at times he frustrated me.  We shall see.  I would love a way to get Kanter back to OKC.  Both sides love each other, and Kanter was even in OKC for the playoffs cheering us on.  We need a reunion of the Stache Bros (Kanter and Steven Adams)!

Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) on The Herd: “I don't think Kawhi Leonard is jumping for joy now that LeBron is a Laker. If anything, he’ll be more open to joining the #Clippers.”

lol the Lakers front office thinks Lavar leaked the Lonzo knee injury to prevent him from teams wanting to trade for him. That would make me absolutely livid if I'm in the front office. Lavar is actively sticking his face into the every day workings of an NBA franchise at this point.

This is going to be a fantastic trainwreck as this specific Lakers group navigates the season with Rondo/Javale/Lance/Lavar/Lebron/Magic

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

lol the Lakers front office thinks Lavar leaked the Lonzo knee injury to prevent him from teams wanting to trade for him. 

It just made sense from the beginning. Almost a no brainer that Lavar was behind it. 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Lavar is actively sticking his face into the every day workings of an NBA franchise at this point.

If I was Lebron and had power, a billion in lifetime earnings, and enough Lebronstans to fill Florida, I’d go Aaron Hernandez on Lavar if I found out that his punk ass forced me to play with Lonzo and McGee instead of PG13.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

lol the Lakers front office thinks Lavar leaked the Lonzo knee injury to prevent him from teams wanting to trade for him. That would make me absolutely livid if I'm in the front office. Lavar is actively sticking his face into the every day workings of an NBA franchise at this point.

This is going to be a fantastic trainwreck as this specific Lakers group navigates the season with Rondo/Javale/Lance/Lavar/Lebron/Magic

If anyone should be mad it is LeBron.  LaVar has said his son is not handing over the reins to LeBron.  I know that won’t happen, but I don’t see LeBron putting up with comments like that.  On top of that, if LeVar has prevented the Lakers from putting together a super team that was promised to LeBron, if I were LeBron I would tell the Lakers to void the contract.  These are Lebron’s last years and I do not see the guy wasting the last years with this team.  

So, Stephen A says Lillard ends up with the Lakers this season. @aujeff11 how do you feel about that?

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

So, Stephen A says Lillard ends up with the Lakers this season. @aujeff11 how do you feel about that?

That would be incredible for him. Wow.. Haven’t seen that rumor though. 

16 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

It just made sense from the beginning. Almost a no brainer that Lavar was behind it. 

If I was Lebron and had power, a billion in lifetime earnings, and enough Lebronstans to fill Florida, I’d go Aaron Hernandez on Lavar if I found out that his punk ass forced me to play with Lonzo and McGee instead of PG13.

15 hours ago, abw0004 said:

If anyone should be mad it is LeBron.  LaVar has said his son is not handing over the reins to LeBron.  I know that won’t happen, but I don’t see LeBron putting up with comments like that.  On top of that, if LeVar has prevented the Lakers from putting together a super team that was promised to LeBron, if I were LeBron I would tell the Lakers to void the contract.  These are Lebron’s last years and I do not see the guy wasting the last years with this team.  

Good points. Basically everyone should be mad at Lavar.

I really like Lonzo's game and what he could turn into. But I wouldn't be mad if he got traded to a small market just to give Lavar a smaller platform lol

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Allen makes the sport look so bad.  I hope that guy never makes it out of the G-League.  

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:
6 hours ago, aubearcat said:

That would be incredible for him. Wow.. Haven’t seen that rumor though

Yep, I always thought Lillard would pair nicely with an aging LBJ but never really saw an avenue for that to happen.. Yet here we are. I think I’d trade some package of Lonzo and Ingram for him in a heartbeat

6 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

That would be incredible for him. Wow.. Haven’t seen that rumor though. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

So Ramona heard that it in the wind. Too bad I’m not Ramona. ?

Who wanted to go to the Lakers months ago? It’s not like they were building anything then and certainly didn’t have Bron.

Edited by aujeff11

As the Oklahoma City Thunder navigate a historic $310 million payroll and luxury tax bill, the franchise's front office is working through scenarios that will culminate in the inevitable this summer: an ending to the brief Carmelo Anthony partnership, which could deliver the Thunder over $100 million in cost savings.

The massive financial implications of Anthony opting into his $27.9 million contract for the 2018-19 season -- coupled with a mutual understanding that his scaled-back role with the Thunder isn't what he had signed up for -- have dictated that the two sides will part ways sometime this summer, league sources told ESPN.

Anthony's agent, Leon Rose of CAA Sports, has a strong relationship and history with Thunder general manager Sam Presti, and they'll work together on Anthony's exit through a trade, the NBA's stretch provision or a combined buyout and stretch, league sources said.

Anthony, a 10-time NBA All-Star and three-time Olympic gold medalist, would be pursued vigorously among contenders on the free-agent market. The Houston RocketsMiami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers are among multiple teams expected to express interest in Anthony, sources tell ESPN.

Oklahoma City can use the stretch provision on Anthony's $27.9 million contract to eliminate a staggering $107 million off the team's 2018-19 payroll and tax bill, but the Thunder first plan to pursue trade possibilities with teams looking to acquire a massive expiring deal to free up salary-cap space for July 2019 free agency.

Anthony still holds trade-veto power, but it's likely that any proposed deal would be with a team wanting simply to waive Anthony and allow him into free agency.

The stretch provision would slash $90 million in tax, dropping the Thunder's bill from $150 million to $60 million. The stretch provision spreads Anthony's salary annually onto the Thunder's cap for $9.3 million over three years.

Once Anthony, 34, opted into the final year of his contract, he lost some control over his future. Oklahoma City reached agreement to keep forward Jerami Grant on a three-year, $27 million deal, holding on to a developing 24-year old talent who the organization believes allows them to play faster on offense and better on defense.

By parting ways with Carmelo Anthony this summer, the Thunder could shave more than $100 million off the team's payroll and tax bill for the 2018-19 season. Mark Blinch/NBAE via Getty Images

After being acquired from the New York Knicksbefore training camp opened last season, Anthony accepted a new role with OKC that featured changing positions from small forward to power forward. It took time for Anthony to adapt and he never completely found comfort playing as a catch-and-shoot stretch-4.

Anthony hit a career-high 169 3-pointers last season and was credited by the coaching staff for helping provide space for teammates. Though his average of 16.2 points per game was a career low, he provided the Thunder a stable and consistent third scorer behind Russell Westbrook and Paul George.

Things came to a head in the Thunder's postseason series against the Jazz with Anthony's role being reduced throughout the series. In Game 5, as the Thunder made a spectacular comeback with him on the bench, Anthony demonstrably pleaded with assistant coach Maurice Cheeks to go in the game. In Game 6, Anthony played only 26 minutes, including just three in the fourth quarter. Anthony averaged 11.8 points in the series, shooting just .375 from the field and .214 from 3-point range.

Anthony expressed frustration with his role following the season, setting the stage for what is now an inevitable departure.

"I don't think I can be effective as that type of player," Anthony said. "I think I was willing to accept that challenge in that role, but I think I bring a little bit more to the game as far as being more knowledgeable and what I still can do as a basketball player."

Anthony also made it clear he would not be accepting of a bench role.

Even with Anthony's comments after the season, both Presti and coach Billy Donovan praised Anthony throughout the season for his professionalism.

"I think he's being very candid and very honest. I respect that. I respect the fact he's being open about that," Presti said. "Now, we have the same responsibility. We have to be candid and honest with him. One of the things I really like about Carmelo is he's a mature person. You can talk to him. He listens. He's been professional with us within the building. I'm sure there are nights he was frustrated because it's a big transition that he's trying to make -- was trying to make -- this season. ... We don't know exactly how our team is going to look."

Prior to Anthony not exercising his early termination option late in June, the Thunder communicated with Anthony and his representatives about possible plans for next season, which could include an even lesser role.

Anthony waived his no-trade clause to join the Thunder last season with an understanding he'd be playing a new position and a different role, but struggled to find consistency. He said he "accepted" his role in December after calling a meeting with the team in New York, but never was completely happy with it.

Adrian Wojnarowski ? @wojespn  
Adrian Wojnarowski Source: Parker called Gregg Popovich in the last hour to inform him of decision to accept Charlotte offer. Spurs wanted Parker back, but Parker will take on a significant role with Hornets behind Kemba Walker.